•  
    Maybe, if I really really wanted the product

SITE REVIEW: www.sandypebble.com UPDATED

• mcleve
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • mcleve

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have the typical "Plenty of hits, Few sales" Problem. Would you buy from this site? Please review and post your comments. Please dont be shy about being honest. SandyPebble.com

I have made a few changes if anyone is interested in reviewing. Please keep in mind this is a live store.
  • Littlej
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Littlej

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, I would buy from the site (if I wanted what you were selling) It looks quite professional and trustworthy.
  • Fussybaby
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Fussybaby

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmmmm, I really don't know. The site looks fabulous, and the prices seem really good. Do a lot of scrapbookers buy online?
  • mcleve
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • mcleve

Post 3+ Months Ago

Fussybaby wrote:
Hmmmm, I really don't know. The site looks fabulous, and the prices seem really good. Do a lot of scrapbookers buy online?

Well that seems to be putting me to the test at the moment. Ebay scrapbooking sales are pretty good but the fees are a killer.

Thanks for the comments
  • mcleve
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • mcleve

Post 3+ Months Ago

Any other suggestions or comments?
  • Boke
  • Student
  • Student
  • Boke
  • Loc: Hiroshima, Japan

Post 3+ Months Ago

I thought it looked good, who's your target market? What sites or forums do people who make scrapbooks go to?
  • tasameem
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • tasameem

Post 3+ Months Ago

i like the color of ur website and the way cetagriese your products good website
  • joanne_r
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • joanne_r

Post 3+ Months Ago

At first glance I thought it looked a nice fresh site and one where I would trust to buy from.

Then I.E popped up a warning at the top stating "This website wants to install the following 'add ons' Adobe Flash Player from Adobe Systems Inc. If you trust the website and want to install it click here".

Maybe it's just me but when I see a warning message like that I just want to exit.
  • mcleve
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • mcleve

Post 3+ Months Ago

I didn't realize it was phrased so negatively. Anyone know how to display a placeholder in place of a flash animation if the browser doesn't have flash installed?
  • jameson5555
  • Bronze Robot
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think this site looks fantastic. It's laid out nicely, looks smooth, navigates logically, and makes it's intention clear right off the bat. Nice job!

I wouldn't worry about the Flash install message.. every browser's going to phrase this differently and most people already have Flash anyway.
  • joanne_r
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • joanne_r

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have I.E.7 and I'm not sure why this message appears as I already have Flash installed. Maybe my browser is just being over cautious.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

The W3C Validator found 35 errors in your coding ... you can click here to see them ... Please note that these are on the home page alone ... So please check all the other pages aswell ...

Then you could disable the button of the page that a user is on and make it another colour, for example, if a user is on the "home" page, make the "home" link unclickable and in another colour (or rollover state), this way users won't redirect to the page that they are already on, and they'll more easily know where they are on the site ...

Then also I found this ...
I wrote:
One little trick to work around the "Click to Activate and Use This Control" problem
(due to a plugin issue with microsoft)

Your embed code is:

Code:

Code: [ Select ]
<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000"
codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/s wflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0"
id="mars" align="middle" height="130" width="130">
<param name="allowScriptAccess" value="sameDomain">
<param name="movie" value="mars.swf">
<param name="quality" value="high">
<param name="bgcolor" value="#ffffff">
<embed src="mars.swf" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff"
name="mars" allowscriptaccess="sameDomain"
type="application/x-shockwave-flash"
pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"
align="center" height="130" width="130">
</object>
  1. <object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000"
  2. codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/s wflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0"
  3. id="mars" align="middle" height="130" width="130">
  4. <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="sameDomain">
  5. <param name="movie" value="mars.swf">
  6. <param name="quality" value="high">
  7. <param name="bgcolor" value="#ffffff">
  8. <embed src="mars.swf" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff"
  9. name="mars" allowscriptaccess="sameDomain"
  10. type="application/x-shockwave-flash"
  11. pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"
  12. align="center" height="130" width="130">
  13. </object>

If you ceate a myprintln.js file that simply says:

// myprintln.js
function myprintln(s) { document.writeln(s); }
  1. // myprintln.js
  2. function myprintln(s) { document.writeln(s); }

and put this in the head of your file:

...yada yada yada... 

<script src="myprintln.js"></script>
 </head>
  1. ...yada yada yada... 
  2.  <script src="myprintln.js"></script>
  3.  </head>

...and wrap your script like this:

<script>
myprintln('<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000"');                 
myprintln('codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/c abs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0"');
myprintln('id="mars" align="middle" height="130" width="130">');
myprintln('<param name="allowScriptAccess" value="sameDomain">');
myprintln('<param name="movie" value="mars.swf">');
myprintln('<param name="quality" value="high">');
myprintln('<param name="bgcolor" value="#ffffff">');       
myprintln('<embed src="mars.swf" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff"');
myprintln('name="mars" allowscriptaccess="sameDomain"');
myprintln('type="application/x-shockwave-flash"');
myprintln('pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"' );
myprintln('align="center" height="130" width="130">');
myprintln('</object>');
</script>
  1. <script>
  2. myprintln('<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000"');                 
  3. myprintln('codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/c abs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0"');
  4. myprintln('id="mars" align="middle" height="130" width="130">');
  5. myprintln('<param name="allowScriptAccess" value="sameDomain">');
  6. myprintln('<param name="movie" value="mars.swf">');
  7. myprintln('<param name="quality" value="high">');
  8. myprintln('<param name="bgcolor" value="#ffffff">');       
  9. myprintln('<embed src="mars.swf" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff"');
  10. myprintln('name="mars" allowscriptaccess="sameDomain"');
  11. myprintln('type="application/x-shockwave-flash"');
  12. myprintln('pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"' );
  13. myprintln('align="center" height="130" width="130">');
  14. myprintln('</object>');
  15. </script>
...it will work around that problem

I think the links in the top right hand side corner can have some rollovers too, just an underline or something ... that would be cool IMO ...

In the "bestsellers" list you've got all these nice descriptions there, and then the bottom two are "01" and "02" ... have a look at that ... If they were placeholders at first, just change them to something more relevant, even if you have to lie a bit for the time being ...

In the introductory paragraph you have the following ... "please check back often." ... I think it would read better as: "please check back regularly."

The "User Gallery" page seems a bit broken to me ... the table which reads "October 2007" goes underneath the menu on the right hand side ... and it goes out of the screen, but no scrollbars are available ... I'm using IE6 now (my work's firewall blocks any other browsers ...) ... Okay I just saw when I 'un-maximized (restored)' the page the problem was fixed and then when I maximized it again, the problem was still gone ... hmmm ... it may be this computer ... just have a look ... (Resolution 1280x1024) ...

That's about it from me ... Further than that ... I like it ...
  • mcleve
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • mcleve

Post 3+ Months Ago

righteous_trespasser,

Thank you!, For giving me such a detailed report. I can't thank you enough!

I have been working for a while (unsuccessfully) on a workaround for the "Click to Activate and Use This Control" problem. I will get right on that.

The User Gallery I think I will rename to Member Gallery so that it doesn't sound like a crack house. Also the Gallery area I am having alot of trouble with. I am using photopost inserted into a page with an inline frame, so your input about the scrollbars was very useful. Looking at my logs you were at the site while I was working on the gallery frames. I think you experienced code variations. Coincidence?! lol

Thanks again.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's a big pleasure ... When you are done with the modifications, let me know and I'll try and look at it again ...
  • schumi
  • Born
  • Born
  • schumi

Post 3+ Months Ago

i just want to know how you get your traffic?how long it is since you set it up?

maybe you should make it more professional,such as page design,picture solve,and goods desciption,etc.
try to compare with this site ,which sells some similar goods as you,
anyway,don't worry,it needs time for your start.
  • zhaira
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • zhaira

Post 3+ Months Ago

that design and layout of the website is great. The arrangement of products is presented but you you need to placed the Information navigation menus at the top or seen by the users. But you need some improvements, the layout in the center is much wide and you need to test in internet browser.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

zhaira wrote:
you need to test in internet browser

Where else would it be tested?
  • jlockleg
  • Born
  • Born
  • jlockleg

Post 3+ Months Ago

It looks good and quite professional. I am not a fan of the color scheme but that is more of a persoanl and not professional point of view.
  • mcleve
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • mcleve

Post 3+ Months Ago

zhaira wrote:
that design and layout of the website is great. The arrangement of products is presented but you you need to placed the Information navigation menus at the top or seen by the users. But you need some improvements, the layout in the center is much wide and you need to test in internet browser.

has anyone had a problem viewing at their resolution?
  • Bartell
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Bartell

Post 3+ Months Ago

At the very bottom left of every page that I've checked there is a random number.
  • mcleve
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • mcleve

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bartell wrote:
At the very bottom left of every page that I've checked there is a random number.

It's not random. It is part of a statistics script. I forgot to turn it off. Thank you for the info!
  • Fabinator
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Fabinator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't think the website itself is the problem. Maybe the problem is with the products. Not hat they're not good, but just that people buy such products at a local shop instead of via the internet. The site looks nice and trustworthy but i just think that people don't want to buy such products on a internet shop.
  • sk_1984
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think your website is ok ...just there is lot of space in font of Information bar...
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I really like the site :) I'd calm down the colors in the banner though. but that's not likely to be the reason of low purchase rates.............

I've had no trouble viewing. (1027x768, primitive, I know :)

It's a perfectly nice site. certainly does not look suspicious.
  • UVBoy
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: London, Ontario, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I very much like the overall look and feel. The checkout process is also very clean. One comment and one question:

Comment:

The intro text under "Welcome to Sandypebble.com" I have mixed feelings about. It certainly adds a very nice personal touch and in some ways is reassuring to me as a consumer but it does nothing to hide the fact that your business is probably a computer in a basement. I believe that many consumers are hesitant to buy from this type of operation. I have a web-based business also and do everything I can to hide the fact that it's just me. That being said, many of the products you're selling are very inexpensive. I believe most consumers get anxious when they are buying a higher ticket item from a one man (or woman!) show. Think about this - how many large corporate websites do you visit where you see the words "I", "me", or "my"? Please don't misunderstand - I don't think that everything about big corporate is all that great, but people like to buy from places they think others are buying from. Using words like "our company" or "we" suggests a volume of business that necessitates having multiple employees. A lot of consumers like that image.

Question:

This is really a question about the business model rather than the website. You said you're getting a lot of traffic and not many sales. My question is simply this: are these the kinds of products that people will buy online? I don't know much about scrapbooking so it's difficult to dig much deeper but I will ask you this. Your website says that some prices are as much as 80% off of regular retail. If the most commonly used scrapbooking supplies are low ticket items then 80% off may only translate to a few dollars. Consumers are motivated ultimately by dollars, not percentage. Here's an example. You get a middle aged female visitor to your website who has limited online purchasing experience. She likes what she see's on your site but comes to your website already leary of making online purchases. She sees that she can save 50% off some paper she likes, but when she realizes this translates to $2.00 total savings it is not enough of a motivating factor for her to risk making the online purchase. Plus she can't touch/feel the paper like she can at the store. Now, if she was purchasing something online that saved her $20 or $200 she might be able to set aside her misgivings. Maybe you could concentrate on the higher ticket items that save the consumer more total dollars.

One tip - talk to the sales reps of the companies you're buying from. Ask them if they sell to any other online players and how the other companies are doing. Most sales reps suffer from verbal diarrhea. I'll be you five pieces of Handcrafted Lilac Mulberry Paper that you can get a couple of sales people to tell you exactly how much business they're doing with competitors. This can really help you figure out the size of your market.

Didn't intend to write so much (I was once a saleman too!). I hope this is useful.
  • mcleve
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • mcleve

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have made a few changes if anyone is interested in re-reviewing.
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

oooooh I like it a lot better now. looks really clean and neat and professional. Acts funny when I resize the browser window though - the fields don't open all the way. (viewing in IE6)
  • osshm
  • osshm
  • Loc: useful-link.com

Post 3+ Months Ago

i haven't seen the first one but i really appreciate this one : clean and smooth design i wouldn't hesitate to buy a product (if i get interested)

negative point : languages change takes long time to load and i can't see no change (maybe its a problem on my machine i'm using firefox 2.0).

anyway very good site
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Maybe by an SSL Certificate for the protection of the forms on transactions? You may have already done that Ihaven't checked just decided to mention it :) Good luck... I agree with righteous_trespasser... fix those validation errors :) It's a plus on your side and on CEO side :)
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bogey wrote:
on CEO side

I think you meant SEO side ...

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 37 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers