SITE REVIEW: www.simple-websites.co.za

• WebWise
  • WebWise

Post 3+ Months Ago

WebWise Solutions

I created this website a long time ago.
What changes should I do to make it more atractive?

Please let me know

Thank you
  • Breeze
  • Photographer
  • Guru
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Note: If I sound harsh I don't mean to.

First of all that header you've got is quite pegged (the name I give to the way the jpg format messes with pictures). Also choose a different font and make the text the focal point of the header, not the picture.

I like the red and grey colour scheme, but those orange and yellow things you've added in depreciate the value of the website somewhat.

Another thing I dislike is how the dice image overhangs the links menu... And what relation do the dice have to the content of the website?

I've made an example header for you because I was bored. You might see it as crap but I think it's better than the header you've got now, lol. Use it if you wish. If you want the PSD file just let me know.
  • murcielagossi
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Breeze is right, the yellow and orange blocks take away from the greater scheme. And the banner is lacking complexity. Also, you may not be done with it but the search does not have a "submit". I like your favicon though.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes I'm with breeze on this one ... a good header should really do the trick, it's the first thing a user sees when they enter your site ...

The w3c validator found 12 errors on your site, click Here to see them ... I think it's very important for a web designer to have a validated site, I mean I only want the best if I paid someone to do work for me, so Validation is a web-developer's way of saying ... I design good websites ...

Then yes also the orange-yellow faded blocks don't work for me, they don't fit in with the "theme".

Then please also disable the link of the page that a user is on, for example if I am on the "home" page, disable the "home" button and make it another colour so that a user can see where he\she is, and doesn't redirect to the same page he\she is on ...

Then on the services page there is too much open space, I think decreasing the fon-size with 1px would already make a difference, and having less spacing between paragraphs would also make a difference, the the layout of your images really don't work for me, it feels as if they were just thrown in there ... Also still on that page, Maybe you can have a link on that page from the images to a larger view of the images ...

On the showcase page, you can maybe put two website pictures next to each other to make it look a bit better, and to save some vertical space ... and make the images links aswell instead of just the text underneath, or even completely remove the text and have alt tags for the images ...

On the "reasons for web design" page there is a banner up top that says ... "Search engine listing. Easy update. Get a professional website for R4500, brought to you by Website solutions. CLICK HERE", but it's unclickable, nothing happens ...

On the "tips for web design clients" page there is a nasty yellow block in the middle of the content, that really doesn't fit in with your theme ... Please cahnge it to another colour ... and then the link "how much will this cost" just refers back to your "services" page where there isn't much info about updating cost (only about adding pages' cost)

On the "marketing research" page there are those 2 images (pretty pixelated), which are a link, and when the link is clicked, it just redirects to the "marketing research" page which doesn't make sense to me ...

On the "promote your website" page there is again too much spacing between the lines of text, in my opinion ...
  • WebWise
  • WebWise

Post 3+ Months Ago

THank you all for the comments.
THanks Breeze for the header. If you wish you can send it to my e-mail address: dragos.fedorovici@infoiasi.ro
  • Fabinator
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Fabinator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've got another comment on your site. You use a mouse-over in the menu. But when I first turn my mouse over the menu, the mouse-over-image still has to load. It's empty for a few seconds.
To assure yourself that this doesn't happen, put the images in the "body onLoad". Like this:
Code: [ Select ]
<body onLoad="MM_preloadImages('example.jpg','example.jpg');">
  • RFR Web Design
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • RFR Web Design
  • Loc: West Lawn, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I noticed the following:

1) On the homepage that the graphic under "Affordable Website design" is difficult to read with what appears to be a large blue outer glow on the words. The main thing about web design is getting the point across and allowing the visitor to read and understand clearly what is on the page.

2) What is the purpose for the picture of the dice? It is almost like you are telling the visitor that they are gambling on your services. Just a thought.

All constructive, mind you. the site itself looks good.
  • murcielagossi
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh and the favicon, it's Joomla's right, I thought it looked familiar. Site needs alittle work though.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers