SITE REVIEW: www.sitebyjames.com

• MrGamma
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Toronto, Burlington, Hamiltion, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay... It's not much at all... but your review would be much appreciated to kick my ass into gear...

Site By James
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• MrGamma
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

I see all of you coming to my site... but I'm not getting any feedback...

Is it that bad?
  • lioness
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Until you give 3 USEFUL reviews yourself, no-one should review your site.

Take the time to give proper feedback yourself, and you will be rewarded. If other posters see you taking the time to give proper reviews, they will be more encouraged to review your site.

Fellow Ozzu posters take note.
  • MrGamma
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

sounds like a plan... I'm new here... thanks...
  • MrGamma
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

ulstermonkey wrote:
Until you give 3 USEFUL reviews yourself, no-one should review your site.

Take the time to give proper feedback yourself, and you will be rewarded. If other posters see you taking the time to give proper reviews, they will be more encouraged to review your site.

Fellow Ozzu posters take note.

Wait a second... I did give three reviews already... I will give more though...
  • janim
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • janim

Post 3+ Months Ago

if you have all of these skills ,why to put the song on page load
it's not recommanded i think
  • MrGamma
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

janim wrote:
if you have all of these skills ,why to put the song on page load
it's not recommanded i think

good point... I should start taking it seriously... auto start is gone...
  • jammer2552
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Pros- Clean
Cons- Boring

ZIP SOME LIFE INTO THAT SITE! You say you're highly skilled. Put those skills into making a site that shows off what you can do!
  • MrGamma
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

jammer2552 wrote:
Pros- Clean
Cons- Boring

ZIP SOME LIFE INTO THAT SITE! You say you're highly skilled. Put those skills into making a site that shows off what you can do!

Good point... now you can play against me at pong!

Is this good?
  • pcfactor
  • Born
  • Born
  • pcfactor

Post 3+ Months Ago

When I first get to your site, I'm not impressed, first impressions mean a lot. When I first get to your page does it catch my eye enough that it makes me interested in viewing some of the other stuff that you've done? No. Looks like something that was thrown up by anyone that has a basic knowledge and done in a very quick unthoughtful manner. So if your goal for the site is to get a job or contract business then it needs work. You need to add some color, have your links change when you hover them, change color, the underline either disappear or on show up. The ones at the bottom that is. Basically what I'm saying is I guess, if you're trying to show a reason why someone should consider you for creative work, you need to show it on the first page they come to in some way that makes them interested enough to look further, you boast professional graphics experience but show none at all.

Not trying to be mean hope you don't take it that way
  • MrGamma
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

pcfactor wrote:
Basically what I'm saying is I guess, if you're trying to show a reason why someone should consider you for creative work, you need to show it on the first page they come to in some way that makes them interested enough to look further, you boast professional graphics experience but show none at all.

I thought my character would demonstrate my illustration skills on the front page and the clean layout would demonstrate my professionalism.

Maybe I will have to go one step farther and make the pong game stand out out to show my creativity... ( rollovers for sure --- a mistake I overlooked ) and perhaps a featured projects in color on the front page to give more image.

Your point is well taken. I need to people to understand that I am a programmer first and a designer second.
  • s_mss_a
  • s_mss_a

Post 3+ Months Ago

MrGamma wrote:
Okay... It's not much at all... but your review would be much appreciated to kick my ass into gear...

Site By James

You may want to add more pictures, banners or a anti-eye sore background to your website. I'm not talking about white being like a blue and a red or anything. It's good that you're links don't open into new windows but you should make them blue because people who are new to the internet might think that all words which are color blue and are underlined are always links. But the pong picture is great. :D
  • ransom1538
  • Born
  • Born
  • ransom1538

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cool design. I like the logo. If you want people to enjoy the site though I think they will need more things to click on -- Like articles, or things that pop out.
  • burger
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • burger
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

The site is clean and simple.

I would say that the other sites listed seem to be more involved. It may be that you site lacks some sort of impact. Maybe a bit of colour or graphics would help to brighten it up a bit.
  • MrGamma
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay... I completely revised it... let me know what you think because I've actually given it some effort...

which translates to... I'm just getting started...
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

okay, here's my two cents. looking at your work I can see you're a pretty good designer. looking at the first page of your site, I can't see that at all.

the site does look clean and professional, maybe too much so. I like the idea of keeping everything white and clean and putting all the color into the portfolio examples, but I think that would work better if the home page would give, say, three images showing different examples of your work. that way people immediately get a feel for your design sense and they see the scope of your imagination.

while the 'pong' graphic is cute, it isn't god knows how stylish or sleek, and I don't think it will help much in getting you serious clients. personally I don't think the site would lose much by removing it entirely from the home page (maybe allocating it to the resume or contact page) - then you will have the clean white site, showing professionalism, and a few examples of your work, giving color and interest points.

now here is something I'm possibly being anal about, but when I start looking at your portfolio sites, it really bugs me that I have to use the 'previous' and 'next' links. I'd much rather be able to browse in any order I like, picking from a list of links or thumbnails. You could say that's just me, but I feel it brings the 'ease of use' side down a little bit..................

otherwise it's really good work I'd say
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Baker City, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

If this is suppposed to be a serious site, remove PONG.....

why do you have the "send a messege" thing on your resume? It should only be on the Contacts page...

It does look clean but you do need to Jazz it up a bit. Remember, your trying to "Sell Yourself", show your talents....

Keep it up, your almost there.
  • stabby
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • stabby

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cool clean and affective.

I like it. Id employ you, but itd probably have to be the other way round :).

Couldnt fault it xcept for one thing:

The white background is too bright for me. If it was a few shades closer to grey it would be just nice to spend some time on.
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: San Diego

Post 3+ Months Ago

MrGamma wrote:
I see all of you coming to my site... but I'm not getting any feedback...

Is it that bad?

I actually think good sites get less feedback. Since there is nothing glaring that we can comment on. It's nice, simple, clean, got few graphics, and Google Ads. Perfect.

The one thing I would change is the "Recent Websites" and "Web Applications" etc links. Make sure surfers know that links are links, not text. Put underlines on them!
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
I actually think good sites get less feedback.

this is true. the sites I find hardest to comment are the good ones (on the fantastic ones you can say 'wow that's amazing', on the so-so ones you can give suggestions for improvement, but if you see a good decent solid site, it's hard to find anything smart to say....) and the absolutely god-awful ones, where I want to say 'kid, go do something else' - but of course you can't say that so again I'm lost for words.........

anyhow I assure you your site is in the first category.
  • MrGamma
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good point about the next previous buttons... I will have to devise a better way... I can't lose the drawing of me... I refuse to become faceless.... maybe if I put myself in a suit instead and lost the videotape...

The pong game must stay unfortunately... it shows that I can code without flash... maybe if I put some more text on that explaining why the page is there...

Thank you for your feedback...
  • MrGamma
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

jflynn wrote:
why do you have the "send a messege" thing on your resume? It should only be on the Contacts page...

It does look clean but you do need to Jazz it up a bit. Remember, your trying to "Sell Yourself", show your talents....

Good point... the resume page gets hammered by spam anyways... contact form gone... thanks...
  • MrGamma
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

jflynn wrote:
If this is suppposed to be a serious site, remove PONG.....

Okay... so maybe I just like life a little too much to be too serious... What do you think the animating banner does for the site? Do you think it's going to hurt my ability to do business?

Still has browser compatibility issues oin netscape 6, IE 5.2 Mac... and the really old ones...

What do you think?
  • Philadelphia_computer_rep
  • Philadelphia_computer_rep

Post 3+ Months Ago

Half of the way on the journey toward "good" website is behind you. Clean design.. easy navigation... all good things

Another thing.. If it is a service that you are selling, i'd be more agressive in making the point of it and place your contact info in a visible place (ex. at the top)

that's just my humble IMHO
  • mrquotes

Post 3+ Months Ago

The Site is quite simple but the header seems to be quite unprofessional.
Make it something which reflects your work & quality. Beside this visiting your portfolio shows the work you have done. Try to add a few peofessional tools which can help your clients.

Keep up the good work & keep experimenting.
  • mysonmark
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • mysonmark

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello,

I think the site is nice and clean. However it looks kind of busy and at first glance I can not tell what I should be looking at.

The banner is very nice.

I would move all text to the left and align all graphic to the right.

I would not wrap the text at all as this is dificult to follow especially with the moving banner and advertisments located on the right of the website.
  • MrGamma
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Alright... I've addressed all the issues I can find in this thread...

I've made pong look more sophisticated with a new label... I have made it look less busy by adding more whitespace and cleaner column organization.

I have added more color to the website with the clouds banner... and I have cleaned up my nasty logo text with clean and punchy text...

besides the fact that I have to sell my product a little deeper with better content and perhaps better menu structure and even better next previous navigation ( which is going to take a bit ) I am still open to all criticisms...

btw.. thank you all very much for your help...
  • Guy who knows things
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Guy who knows things
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

As always, I like the simplicity, but the header graphic immediately caught my eye - the Jpeg compression on those clouds is just so annoyingly obvious.... :( Sorry, this is one of my pet hates. If you're gonna use a jpg, play around with the compression until the artefacts are not so noticeable, otherwise it just screams cheap and amateurish. No offense, dude. I did like the lil superhero tho. ;)
  • jameson5555
  • Bronze Robot
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I didn't see the earlier version of your site, but this one looks great! I like the cloud effect, and the overall layout is clean and easy to navigate. Your portfolio looks really good, too.

One thing I thought was strange, though, is that the first thing you mention is that you build your websites using a plain text editor, yet you seem to be using tables for a lot of your layout functions?

I guess it works fine, and you do have valid code which is nice to see, but why no CSS positioning?
  • MrGamma
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

jameson5555 wrote:
I guess it works fine, and you do have valid code which is nice to see, but why no CSS positioning?

Well... there is css positioning... I use floats... absolute and relative positioning... I use just about everything... I just finsihed a long debate on it over here... so you can see my full stance on it...

http://www.graphicdesignforum.com/forum ... hp?t=33253
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 31 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers