SITE REVIEW: www.spotajavacoffee.com

  • MrFeetz
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • MrFeetz
  • Posts: 22

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd like to get some input on the content of the site, see sig. The site is a template, so the form and function can't be changed. What can be changed is the content. What I'd like you to focus on is, is there enough info to lead a visitor to make a purchase? And is there any compelling reason for the visitor to make a purchase or not? If not, why not, and what can be added to the current content to give a visitor a reason to make a purchase?

TIA

~~Feetz~~
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Posts: ?
  • Loc: Ozzuland
  • Status: Online

Post 3+ Months Ago

  • sam
  • Newbie
  • Newbie
  • sam
  • Posts: 6

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't have a credit card and I don't shop online, but with only an average interest in coffee, I was actually quite compelled to buy when I picked my flavour and a screen instantly popped up with a picture of my item. All i had to do was write down a quantity! excellent! No 20 page forms with my home phone number and hobbies and where did you find out about our site etc. That's a real turn off. Great shopping cart system.

The little mission statement at the beginning was pretty long, but some thought has obviously gone into what's been written. I was patient enough to read most of it, but some people might not be. Still, was pretty obvious what the site was all about from the headings and menus.

I realy can't fault it or think of ways to improve on it. It worked well on me. Probably going to have a lot of people with bags of coffee being delivered, who never really meant to buy them. Which, I'm sure is the idea.
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Posts: 2115
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I dont like the website. Too many words on the front page.
-even more words at the bottom part of page.
so i did not bother to read the words at all!- loss of interest

sorry if this sounds too blunt.

but i do like coffee. esp. java

don't like the header words too..
  • MrFeetz
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • MrFeetz
  • Posts: 22

Post 3+ Months Ago

madmonk wrote:
i did not bother to read the words at all!- loss of interest

sorry if this sounds too blunt.


What it sounds like is, that you made a knee jerk assumption based purely on aesthetics. If you didn't read anything, then, you don't know anything about the site besides what one page that you don't care for looks like. This does me no good at all. What would you suggest I do to improve the site? Have one page that says click here to buy coffee? Did you dl the free catalog? That way you wouldn't have to see the site, but you could at least find out if there is any coffee that you may be interested in buying at some other time. Did you see the little story By Michael Jackson? No, I guess you didn't.

Thanx for your time.

~~Feetz~~
  • webmasterbrain
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • webmasterbrain
  • Posts: 51

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your sites not bad, but a few things I noticed, which would improve it a lot:

1. Clearer Fonts: I know it's nice to pick fonts which gel with the theme, but more important is have clear fonts, some of those you've used are not instantly legible, which makes navigating a hassle.

2. Reposition Shopping Cart link: Either move the shopping cart link to the top right, or have one over there as well. Like it or not the standards been set by the big guys, and this is where people look for it. You could maybe also put a link to checkout there as well.

3. Separate categories from navigation:
Most of your navigation is down the left with no distinction between the various types of links, at the very least the links to the different types of coffee should have their own header, or be separated from the other links.

4. More prominent search: You have a search function, which is good, but people tend to prefer to search than navigate (because they are lazy and easily mentally challenged) so move it up above the fold (ie. visible without scrolling).

5. To much text: as has already been said, for a e-commerce site, with your primary aim being to sell, and not to inform, content is bad! (of course content is good for search engines, so a balance is required). Pick a few good keywords/key-phrases and work them in to short, well-written, to the point paragraphs.
  • MrFeetz
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • MrFeetz
  • Posts: 22

Post 3+ Months Ago

webmasterbrain,
Excellent! Thank you very much. Each area where you've made suggestions in are laid in stone as a function of the damned template. I am testing the content, and as you've suggested, I will make some adjustments with SEO key in mind. The form and functionality of the template makes customization all but impossible. As the site is a testbed, and the curve is quite steep, I'll come away from this exercise with a great deal more knowledge of what works, what doesn't, and what not to do in the future. Your input is appreciated.

~~Feetz~~
  • SharkShark
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 1013
  • Loc: Living In Today

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very well done. I like the layout of your site, I have to agree though that you may want to change the link text. It goes well with the theme, but its not instantly readable. I like the way you set up your shopping cart, however, I think the bags of coffee images are too big. and the fact that all the pics next to the coffee style are all the same it gets redundant after a couple pages and boring. Either a differnent picture by each one or no pic at all. Very good job all the way arond otherwise.
  • MrFeetz
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • MrFeetz
  • Posts: 22

Post 3+ Months Ago

SharkShark wrote:
Very well done. I like the layout of your site, I have to agree though that you may want to change the link text. It goes well with the theme, but its not instantly readable. I like the way you set up your shopping cart, however, I think the bags of coffee images are too big. and the fact that all the pics next to the coffee style are all the same it gets redundant after a couple pages and boring. Either a differnent picture by each one or no pic at all. Very good job all the way arond otherwise.


Thanx Shark.
The site is a template, so the form and function can't be changed. Your point about the pictures is being considered ATM. Would you as a buying customer, be put off by all of the coffee pictures being the same? Would that fact stop you from making a purchase, considering everything else being to your liking...the coffee you want to buy at the price that you are willing to pay?

~~Feetz~~
  • SharkShark
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 1013
  • Loc: Living In Today

Post 3+ Months Ago

MrFeetz wrote:
Thanx Shark.
Your point about the pictures is being considered ATM. Would you as a buying customer, be put off by all of the coffee pictures being the same? Would that fact stop you from making a purchase, considering everything else being to your liking...the coffee you want to buy at the price that you are willing to pay?
~~Feetz~~


To be honest yes I would. I have no idea what is in those packages, except coffe, it doesnt appear to be very original since all the bags are identical, Decent price but it almost seems generic. That is what is going through my mind as I shop.
  • MrFeetz
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • MrFeetz
  • Posts: 22

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you had one of each of the flavors delivered to you, you would see the exact same thing. Most all of the coffee sites...I haven't visited all 26,000,000,000 of them, show the very same picture for each coffee displayed...same with ebay for that matter. You did answer the question. The pictures of the coffee are what the roasted supplied me with. Having 300 varieties of coffee doesn't lend itself to having 300 different pictures. What would be the point?

~~FEETZ~~
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 1855
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

To me, the ientical packing doesn't seem too much of a problem. A speciallist shop selling 300 varietes of the same thing, you don't expect the packaging to be the focal point. To me the lack of packaging add authenticity and a kind of rustic feel. I get the impression that the vendor cares more about the product than empty marketing.

anyway, my first thought is that images on a green background should not have a white background themselves, unless you give them some kind of border.

Secondly, those text links would probably be better as gifs rather than jpegs, to remove the fuzziness of them.

Search could definately do with being moved from the bottom of the page. It's hidden away, and even worse on pages like the shipping where it is pushed even further down from the contetnt. Up the top of the page I think.

I'm also not sure about that contact for being at the bottom of the front page. It would be much more suited to the contact page. At least give it a header if nothing else.
  • MrFeetz
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • MrFeetz
  • Posts: 22

Post 3+ Months Ago

...Teacher,
All of your points are well taken...and have been echoed at other forums. My major mistake...which is a challenge that I'll have to live with ATM, is that the site is a template, which by it's own design, has little or no functionality. For the most part, what you see is what you get. The only flexibility is in the content itself. I don't write html, and at this point in time, can't continue to throw ca$h at this black hole to have the site redesigned by someone I'd have to pay.. I'm doing the best I can with what I have to work with.

~~Feetz~~
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 1855
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol I'm a teacher now! ooooh! Think I should be doing more work while I'm at work rather than posting here....

hey I'm sorry. If you look through my other site reviews I pick out little things. None of my comments were serious flaws in the site, just little bits and pieces. There are no real problems with the site you have, and I would definately consider shopping there if I was a bit closer.

I must say that I didn't really read much of the other reviews before posting (i just skimmed them) and so didn't register your previous comments about the template. I'm sorry about that.

I'm sorry if my comments seemed harsh in any way. I do review harshly as anyone here will tell you. To be honest there are a hell of a lot of sites around that are much worse than yours.
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 1080
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

rtm223 wrote:
I do review harshly as anyone here will tell you.


Yes you do you git.

Lol seriously web design and design in itself is so objective and peoples opinions clash and no one is prepared to budge. It is therefore a common phrase “looks like its been designed by committee” as a negative aspect however everyone’s input is vital but the designer must not be dictated too and have the final say or it’s a mix match of crap - and I should know as I have been in this situation all too often and it is heart breaking.

Reed this rather cool articles by Chris McEvoy of the super website "Usability Must Die"
http://www.usabilitymustdie.com/design_dictator.htm
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 1855
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Johan007 wrote:
rtm223 wrote:
I do review harshly as anyone here will tell you.


Yes you do you git.

:(

My current project is on hold, but will be posted when there is stuff worth posting. Feel free to gang up on me as much as you want - it's what I deserve :lol:
  • SharkShark
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 1013
  • Loc: Living In Today

Post 3+ Months Ago

LOL that should make for a good time :twisted:
  • whos_wee_dug
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 121
  • Loc: Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thats a really nice site you've got here. I don't want to critisize it much because I would have seriously considered buying your coffee if i had some money, a grinder and lived in the U.S!

I noticed you've got a typo in the title of this page: http://www.spotajavacoffee.com/site

The only other thing I thought was on the main page their was maybe too much information at first? Maybe you could have a link saying something like: "Click here to see our wide range of coffees" and then it takes you to the list. Just a thought.

Kee up the good work,

whos_wee_dug?
  • MrFeetz
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • MrFeetz
  • Posts: 22

Post 3+ Months Ago

whos_wee_dug wrote:
I noticed you've got a typo in the title of this page: http://www.spotajavacoffee.com/site



Good lookin out whos...at least that's something I can fix...and have!

Have you...or anyone else...looked at the catalog? I'd like to know how it looks and works on other's machines...

~~Feetz~~
  • Liquescence
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 353
  • Loc: Queens, NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

*drool* Coffee....must...have...coffee......

Good choice of colors. Simple but semi-elegant layout. One suggestion: I think that the main page should be something like the about us page, instead of starting in one of the coffee categories.
  • MrFeetz
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • MrFeetz
  • Posts: 22

Post 3+ Months Ago

Liquescence wrote:
*drool* Coffee....must...have...coffee......



Thanks for your input...the site is new...of course...I'm having a terrible time deciding which page should be the landing/home page...the actual "Home page" is the affordable flavored coffee page...I'm trying different pages to track the page views per visitor...

just for "YOU" since I don't like to see others deprived of their *habits*...use this code on the site for an instant discount...but don't tell anyone that I gave it to ya, cause you're really supposed to sign uP for the newsletter to get this >> Buy More <<...well...on second thought...tell everyone!!!

~~Feetz~~
  • Liquescence
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 353
  • Loc: Queens, NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

haha thanks.
  • MrFeetz
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • MrFeetz
  • Posts: 22

Post 3+ Months Ago

Weather you're a coffee drinker, or may purchase coffee as a gift, did you find any reason to make a purchase or not to make a purchase? The site is not selling any coffee, and I don't have a clue why not. Whatever it is that invites a visitor to make a purchase, is missing from the site. It can't be the coffee, so I need to find out what adjustments I need to make. There is enough traffic to have at least some sales. Your input is appreciated.

~~Feetz~~
  • MrFeetz
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • MrFeetz
  • Posts: 22

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a review of the SpotaJava Coffee site listed on a site that is well ranked on google. Does this effect my site in the google rankings in a positive manner?

TIA

~~Feetz~~
  • mikey132
  • Newbie
  • Newbie
  • mikey132
  • Posts: 7
  • Loc: On the bog

Post 3+ Months Ago

gr8 site, layed out well and good information. neva knew there were so many types of coffee. :D
  • mikey132
  • Newbie
  • Newbie
  • mikey132
  • Posts: 7
  • Loc: On the bog

Post 3+ Months Ago

gud site, youve done quite well on it but all the different types of coffee are a bit confusing so its a bit hard to see which one you like but still good
  • jlknauff
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 502
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

webmasterbrain was dead on the money about the fonts. If you want to place well with the search engines then you may want to scratch the images for nav and make them text. I don't think you have too much copy though, that is fine IMO. Why use a template BTW?
  • MrFeetz
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • MrFeetz
  • Posts: 22

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey mikey...I'm not taking any offence at all about your reply...just my original though here...when you go to the store...all of the coffee is in the same place...the site is like a candy store...for coffee...however...if it's confusing for you...would you rather chase all around the site looking for something that sounds good to you...or have it all in one place??? Your reply is great input because my thoughts aren't what matters here...it's the customer's thoughts that need to be taken care of...thanx mikey...

jlknauff...short ans re: template...which will cover the fonts as well...like anything else...the first time that you do something...you make mistakes...and learn from those mistakes...the template is part of a package of goods we were sold...sic...so for now we have to deal with the hand we were dealt...the template severely limits the functionality of the site...this includes the fonts too...and you're spot on about the SE...they're reading the template as part of the content...incorrectly I might add...thanx for your input...


~~Feetz~~
  • MrFeetz
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • MrFeetz
  • Posts: 22

Post 3+ Months Ago

Greetz from the land of flavored coffee beans. I've uPPed a new version of the free coffee catalog...if anyone has time...I'd like to know if it works for you...I know that it works (locally) on this end...I'd like to feel confident that the customer is getting a functional copy as well...all feedback welcome...good...bad...ugly...I need to know...

TIA

~~Feetz~~
  • jlknauff
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 502
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

MrFeetz wrote:
madmonk wrote:
i did not bother to read the words at all!- loss of interest

sorry if this sounds too blunt.


What it sounds like is, that you made a knee jerk assumption based purely on aesthetics. If you didn't read anything, then, you don't know anything about the site besides what one page that you don't care for looks like. This does me no good at all.


:shock: Wow, defensive much? lol, seriously, that is the reaction that your consumers are going to have. Think about it, when you go somewhere that doesn't grab your attention do you sit around and read everything on the site (applies to retail too though) to see if there might be something interesting or do you move on to something that grabs your attention? You just have a few seconds to really get someones attention, especially with all of the marketing and advertising going on these days.

If the template doesn't do exactly what you need it to do (get the consumers attention) then you really should work on learning what you need to know so that your can change it or make it from scratch (or pay someone). How many loads of sand would you pick up with a mazda miata before you decided that you should go get a dump truck? Use the right tool for the job.
  • MrFeetz
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • MrFeetz
  • Posts: 22

Post 3+ Months Ago

jlknauff,
The site is a coffee site...not Disneyland...what do you expect to see besides coffee? I don't want tire_kickers in the first place. Do you listen to the radio for the pictures? :shock:

If you didn't read the site...how do you know what you're giving a review about? Say something that makes some sense based on something that you know about, which if you didn't stay on the site long enough to find out about, you're blowin smoke. If you're talking about the way the site looks, then say so.

Have you ever been to the grocery store...does everything in there interest you...I don't think so...you go in the store for what you're interested in buying...same thing with the site...the consumers that come to the site are looking to buy flavored coffee...

On the Jul 13 post, I think I asked about the catalog...or did you blink...let me know what you think about that...as if I don't already know...

~~Feetz~~
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Posts: ?
  • Loc: Ozzuland
  • Status: Online

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

  • Total Posts in this topic: 46 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests
  • You cannot post new topics in this forum
  • You cannot reply to topics in this forum
  • You cannot edit your posts in this forum
  • You cannot delete your posts in this forum
  • You cannot post attachments in this forum
 
cron
 

© 1998-2014. Ozzu® is a registered trademark of Unmelted, LLC.