SITE REVIEW: www.TheUncutTimes.com

• daveyrebel
  • Born
  • Born
  • daveyrebel

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey,

We have spent several months developing a new social news site(don't worry it is not one you have ever seen before), it just launched a couple of days ago, and I thought this would be a good place to get reviewed before aggressively pushing it out everywhere. Any feedback you have would be awesome, and there are a lot of pages so feel free to look around. The live stats feed is a main feature,

http://www.theuncuttimes.com
Thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your have 310 markup validation errors. That's a lot, so be sure to find out what's causing them and get them taken care of.

On to my review.

The site made a very good first impression on me. The layout is clean, simply, and to-the-point. The rollover effects on the menus are excellent. The color scheme is good. The layout doesn't distract me from the content. You actually HAVE content.

One thing that kind of bothers me is that there is no real easy way to determine what page I'm on once I'm there. For example, when I go to Politics -> Political Opinion, there is no title or any indication that I am on the Political Opinion page. Your menu system is well done in my opinion, but your visitors will still get lost/confused without some sort of indication of what page they are on.

My recommendation for this would be to utilize the space under your main menu bar (the space where the submenu pops up). Place the page title there (or even better: a breadcrumb trail), and your site will seem 10x as organized. When visitors go to a different page, you can simply let the submenu popup over the title.

Another thing I noticed was that it was a bit difficult to choose submenu options for your Science, Entertainment, Gaming, and Sports. I have to move my mouse over the item, then carefully move it down, then carefully move it over to the desired link way on the left. What if you had the left edge of each submenu aligned with the left edge of the button that generates it? This would not only look better (in my opinion), but would also make it FAR easier for visitors to navigate.

Lastly, The sidebar thing on the right side of your pages seems too far towards the center of the page. I'd try decreasing the margin to the right of that sidebar to the size of its top margin. It will look much more consistent.

Overall, I really like this site. Nice use of CSS, too. I can tell a lot of time was put into the design. Nicely done.
  • SportsNarrative
  • SportsNarrative

Post 3+ Months Ago

Design-wise I have no qualms with your site at all. Upon clicking on the site for the first time, a person's eyes probably go exactly where you would want them to, i.e. it's instantly clear what the site is all about and how to proceed.

Also, navigation seems simple and logical.

I even signed up!

One small thing regarding sign-up that you may want to address: after filling in most info, the standard Terms and Conditions link is at the bottom for those who want to look at them before agreeing. I am one of those who usually looks at the conditions. However, after looking at them, the info I had already entered was wiped out and I had to re-enter it.

Many sites avoid this by making the Terms and Conditions a pop-up.

Overall, excellent site. I will definitely be returning.
  • MrGamma
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Toronto, Burlington, Hamiltion, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very nice design.... I like those styles of buttons... nice navigation...

But serioulsy... It takes along time to download...

14.4K 285.09 seconds
28.8K 146.84 seconds
33.6K 127.09 seconds
56K 79.70 seconds
ISDN 128K 30.37 seconds
T1 1.44Mbps 10.49 seconds
  • myles7897
  • Born
  • Born
  • myles7897
  • Loc: Huntington Beach, CA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I love this site. i love the idea of it and the design. it is truly awesome. except the top menu, news videos and editorials, is a little hard to see and see oddly placed. the title is great. it also looks very professional. kudos.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers