SITE REVIEW: www.tolkienlibrary.com

• Beren
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Beren
  • Loc: Lost in Wilderland

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.tolkienlibrary.com

Please review my site. All ideas opinions and comments are welcome!
  • stevef
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • stevef
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

That top line just scrolls the last word "all" using 1024x760 on my set up, is that for everyone?

Apart from that very nice site, could not find if your selling anything!

If not why not - it will work!
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

same with stevef
couldn't really tell what the site was about.

the introduction page is different size, compared to other pages (intentional?)
also the other pages have a type of glow onto the background tiles image, would look nice on the main page too.

on the introduction page, the images near the bottom, which are links, when i put my mouse over them the content underneath jumps (intentional?) im unsure, but it is interesting lol

nice job
  • Beren
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Beren

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok... this is good advice. You see i work on an apple G4 (extreme high resolutions). Thanks go an rethink the top text (maybe make a script decide the size of the text).

I allready saw the bug with the width change (very disturbing), somewhere the page gets pushed. Will try to fix that one (thanks for reminding me).

the links indeed jump (intentionally)... thanks for the help and advice... no i go and fix these bugs and wait for more comments and advices.
  • vation
  • vation

Post 3+ Months Ago

I love the color scheme. I really like the mirrored image as the header. The only thing that I think you might want to change is the highlight of the header. If you increase the glow or somehow lighten the text, then it would be more prominent.

What is the font that you used for the rest of the copy. I really like. I think the serif font works really well with the overall layout of the your site. The background wallpaper looks really good and very classy.

Wonderful job on the site
  • Beren
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Beren

Post 3+ Months Ago

The font used is Georgia (through a stylesheet)... in the image TolkienLibrary is written with Aniron (the font developed for the itle of FOTR)...

will work some more on the top image... thanks for the advice!!
  • mr_darek
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think the site design fits the content - that being said, fantastic job.

Because it's nuetral in terms of color scheme...nothing really jumps out at you and there really isn't a hierarchy established....where are my eyes suppose to go??

I think there needs to be some labeling of information and your headers on your sites definitely need to stand out more then they are.
  • Skybin
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Skybin
  • Loc: Where the soy and cornfields grow...

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sigh, another copy off of this.
  • Beren
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Beren

Post 3+ Months Ago

Copy... right... just maybe realise when you say things like this that this site might be in existence longer then the one you are mentioning. First of all... ok css, xhtml 1.0 strict sites all rather look the same. But that does not make them copies of each other. Maybe if you new to write xhtml and new how to write w3c correct css you would probably stop saying dumb things like that. Maybe you should realise the time people spend to make 'their' website;
Secondly, this website features content wich is standing alone (so there are no copies to be found on the web... all the labour and years spend on research are all done by me)... so far the content is one of a kind until today.
Thirdly... when i post my site to be critized i tolerate almost everything... people told me good advice in here. 'Change maybe the text on top', 'maybe highlite the menus',... etc... i read, think about it and start changing stuff. This helps me. But someone just coming by saying in one sentence my site is a copy of another site... well i just do not need that. If you want to start a crusade against people who are following the w3C (which i guess is the only way to go, if you feel like going forward on the web)... well, do please go ahead.

To all others, thanks for the comments. Go and rethink about all you were telling me. Cheers!!
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have to agree with everyone on your site.
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

im going to back up beren on this one...
the sites look nothing alike.

and if you think about it... then everyone who does a fixed width site which is linear is copying?

i doubt it.
  • Skybin
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Skybin
  • Loc: Where the soy and cornfields grow...

Post 3+ Months Ago

[sarcasm]Sorry, I feel so bad.[/sarcasm]

Anyhoo, for the amount of content that you do have, which is hard to find in sites these days, I think that the fixed width does it no justice. The amount of content you have would do well to span across the whole page. I don't mean like having divs 100% but maybe four eleemtns of 25% across one row, etc. I agree with the width of your most left column. It's easy to follow and no one likes text spanning the whole page. It's just too hard to read. But for the stuff like in the right two columns, I think the second one is unnecessary. If you spaneed the whole page (when I say whole page I mean with perhaps margins etc but..yeah..), that would eliminate that redundant column. For your site, using hte fixed width is throwing away the advantages of comptuer monitors/screens getting wider, and bigger. If you had limited content such as just a blog or a journal, then I would say that a fixed width would be justified. But..I stick to my subject of the post saying, it would look better (likely) if the page spanned a little wider than it currently does.
  • Beren
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Beren

Post 3+ Months Ago

Gee... thanks. That is more like it!! This is much more usefull a comment the that one liner from before. So been working around some of the items. Am working on a store where i will sell of Tolkien books (not open to the public yet), started on a database wich will contain all 2500 Tolkien related books i owe... so i can make a nice php and css template based site to show the whole collection; Changed the top text, the image highlighting... the spacing.. ok ... all being discussed above! Thanks for the advice,... keep it coming!!
  • eslie
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • eslie

Post 3+ Months Ago

kinda online library
  • Abelius
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Miami Beach, FL, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK, my first, first impression was I got into the Barnes & Nobles website... I double checked, but no... ;)

One thing: A pro site SHOULD have it's own guestbook mechanism, that's almost childish to get forwarded to "freegb.net" to sign a guestbook of a site that looks THAT good...

All in all, it's great, but a bit lifeless in general. Perhaps it's because I am on my 6th Budweiser, or maybe it's just Tolkien's curse... not sure...

When I saw Tolkien, I kinda expected more action on the page... :)
  • Beren
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Beren

Post 3+ Months Ago

Most people try to sell things on the web... my main concern is to bring content and bring information which is found no where else on the web.
The idea is to make a place which 'if you are a Tolkien book collector' will be used as a 'source' ... or like a 'online library'.

The excitement lies is the book list of Tolkiens works, the vast resource on how to collecting Tolkien.

I agree on the guestbook... will fix my own. Yet this site is my hobby. I make websites for a living... when i find time i work on my hobby.

Thanks for all the advice! Much appreciated!!
  • foolioGrimz
  • foolioGrimz
  • Loc: beeville, TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

the Website name on the image is real hard to read.
same thing with the images under Featering . spelled featuring i believe
  • Beren
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Beren

Post 3+ Months Ago

So... we made some changes concerning the advice given by you all. http://www.tolkienlibrary.com

More changes coming soon!
  • Beren
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Beren

Post 3+ Months Ago

Now a guestbook has been added (no more free gb), a unsuscribe option and a backhand to send mailers.
Layout has changed and must better follow the guidelines of advice i got from all of you. Thanks for all!!
  • Beren
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Beren

Post 3+ Months Ago

Tolkienlibrary got redesigned... now we made a logo! Added some new look&feel. Lot of new content and a sitemap. Removed the Guestbook, since it was spammed tooooooo much to be good. Might have to rethink this... add a log-in page or something. Any ideas?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 20 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers