SITE REVIEW: www.top5hosting.com

• top5hosting.com
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • top5hosting.com
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Would you guys please have a look at our web site http://www.top5hosting.com? But PLEASE do not tear me apart :shock: I may know everything (almost) about web hosting, but I am a novice web designer - so if you could give me some constructive comments that even I will be able to understand it would be great.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Toyminator
  • Student
  • Student
  • Toyminator
  • Loc: Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey,

I would say, maybe you could change the font (Tahoma or Verdana)
And, maybe the page smaller, more centered. Also, for the hosting packages, maybe graphics and a 'wall' between the cells.

Just my two cents,
Toyminator
  • Abelius
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Miami Beach, FL, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

ummm... what's with all the yellow space on the bottom?
  • top5hosting.com
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • top5hosting.com

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmmm...I agree. That will have to go :) At the time it seemed like a good idea. Thanks.
John.
  • bb99
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • bb99
  • Loc: Singapore

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think you can make the words bigger, i think is too small now. Then for the reseller one, make a new page for it.
  • frank_tudor
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Plattsmouth, NE

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your banner gets washed out doesn't stand out very well.

Those colors that you have picked are usually good text background colors I suggest layering your colors and stick with either variations of yellows or variations of grey, for example:

Keep the text background colors as light as possible but then you begin to increase darkness as you hit your borders.

Now for you section titles: some are bold and some are not. Stay consistent. On most of the grey areas you use burgundies (but not always...some are red).

Don't be afraid of photo shop.

Use arial fonts

The space between your sections is is spaced to death there is allot of punctuated nothingness in that area and it makes it tedious to look at.

Frames?

OMG don't use frames you can achieve everything with tables at worst and div at best.

If this is your first site...or second site..or third site then you are on the right track, but as it stands I wouldn't buy anything from your site because it is entirely too distracting and I am compelled to put the dreamweaver/photoshop smack down on it.

Advise: emulate your competitor's website, analyze it, learn from it!
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Hurricane...

Post 3+ Months Ago

Site seems too busy. I don't know where to look first. You need to find the most important point upon entry into the site and make it the most obvious.

Don't underline your text it's confusing for the viewer.

Stick to one font.

Keep your navigational bar on every page.

Why are your "Terms & Conditions" section opening up in a new browser?

Use a submit form for your Contact Us section instead of a direct email link. There are many that still use web based email (hotmail, yahoo, gmail , etc).

Get rid of the background or change it to the same shade of grey as you're using on your "Sign up Now" graphic.

You have text centered on some sections. Don't.

As frank_tudor mentioned - Don't use frames & learn from your competitor sites.
  • top5hosting.com
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • top5hosting.com

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks a lot guys. I appreciate the time you took to give all these recommendations. I am a bit overwhelmed right now. Will have to sit down and take a hard look at some other sites and try to incorporate what you said into our site.

Wish I knew as much about graphics design than I know about web servers....
John.
  • soulseek3r
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • soulseek3r
  • Loc: Guyana

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well i don't like this very much, starting with the yellow space at the bottom. Don't mean to tell u to follow the crowd or anything, it's just that you're the first hosting site that i've been on that's so graphically challenged and your packages aren't all that either.

Anyways it's better than what most can do.
Hope i wasn't too critical.
  • dummer01
  • Born
  • Born

Post 3+ Months Ago

change the backround
  • kerjan21
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • kerjan21
  • Loc: Darker side of the Moon

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would make the upper part (the one that doesn't scroll down) smaller. But my screen is 800x600...
  • gaparker
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: England, uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

The background is really plain and the yellow at the bottom, whats it for?
  • top5hosting.com
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • top5hosting.com

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK, I`ve basically redone the whole site. Would you guys please have a look and maybe give me a few hints on where I can further improve?

John.
  • noxealia
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Spring, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, the website is a bit bright, but other than that nice.

Oh and on a side note your logo states: Unbeatable prices or something and yet http://www.hostmerit.com/ (my host providers) have already vastly beaten it.
  • top5hosting.com
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • top5hosting.com

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the feedback :) Our domain package is still not beaten anywhere though. And when it comes to warm, friendly, personal service there is simply no competition. We plan to deliver every new package with a free hot pizza and flowers for the lady some time in the future. :)
  • top5hosting.com
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • top5hosting.com

Post 3+ Months Ago

Anyone else feels like having a look at the new site?
John.
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Hurricane...

Post 3+ Months Ago

Why are you using frames? YOu can have the same if not better effect with tables or css.

Read this article on why frames aren't the greatest idea. It may come in handy.

http://www.useit.com/alertbox/9612.html
  • webinv
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • webinv

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have a satisfaction guarantee you can display on every page? 90 Day money back guarantee or something? Look at some of the other web hosts for more of the things to make your site more credible. Check 1and1.com or ipowerweb for examples.
  • fawh
  • Student
  • Student
  • fawh

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree with the previous posters. I'd suggest making the text a little larger under your plans and guarantee. I’d also suggest improving your logo by making the "Top" and "Hosting" a darker color.
  • Webmaster K
  • Born
  • Born
  • Webmaster K
  • Loc: Tulsa, Oklahoma

Post 3+ Months Ago

The information is presented in a very straightforward and clear manner, which is the most important aspect for a site like this. I only question the use of frames. Since your site mentions PHP support, why not use a PHP script to create the top navigation and then include a reference to that script in all of your pages? It would look better than a frame and also demonstrate your ability to support such technology.
  • top5hosting.com
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • top5hosting.com

Post 3+ Months Ago

I used some special effects on the new site, like the text with our special offer moving in from the right when you load the site, and also buttons.

Do any of you normally surf with e.g. javascript turned off so that you can not view these effects?

John.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 21 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers