SITE REVIEW: www.tribalslim.com

• digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

In all the time I've been here, I've never posted a site for review.

This is a forum about healthy eating, weight loss, diets, etc. I would appreciate your comments. It's a phpBB.

http://www.tribalslim.com/

//btw: I would especially appreciate any SEO comments. ;)
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't know if I should let this go, have you done your 3 reviews yet? :P :lol:
  • DR01D
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol,

nice layout, i like the "slim" design.

clean type and imagery.

1 thought, i see what your doing with the serif font throughout, just wondering how it would look only on headings and buttons and use a sanserif on the forum content, might give more room for text and readbility???? without compromising the serif style

otherwise looks good, better than the usual metalic/aqua/beveled/etc forums going around these days ;-)
  • SharkShark
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Living In Today

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well its definatly slim LOL. It looks good though! And being health concious I shall have to keep an eye on it. I'll register with you if thats ok :). Congrats on the weight loss dm!!
  • Ifrit
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Portugal

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have seen this site before, and i was kinda glad to end up in a place where the webmaster also goes to ^^

I am around 30kgs above the normal weight for a guy of my age, and ive been following a strict diet for around 2 months now, but i dont seem to be as successfull as you ;\

About the site, it's most interesting, probably the only true testimonial about health care that you see around the net.

A simple and very easy to browse site is a definitive plus, i like how you use minimalism, im a minimalist myself and as such i aprove the 'slimness' of your site.

Good work :)
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

UNFLUX: :lol:

DR01D: That's very interesting that you said that, I had it both fonts both ways, but in the end, the more whimsical feel of the serif'd font won me over. The font is "Georgia(,Times,serif)" btw, if you were interested.

SharkShark: Thanks for the kind words. Of course your welcome to join. I'm finding out it's very difficult to get people posting in a new forum. Who knew? lol

Ifrit: Stick with it my friend! As I remember, at 2 months into it, I had dropped a few pounds/kgs only. Shortly after that, however, it started to happen A LOT quicker. Thanks for your comments.
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

First thing, congratulations on the weight loss :D I noticed that in your sig but didn't say anything.

I'm not keen on the "thinness" as in the width of the site :roll: , although that is personal, I can see why you are doing it. I do really like the minimalist design. What I like most about the look is that it doesn't <i>look</i> like phpBB. Most boards just look like the generic phpBB theme, with different colours. It's nice to see you put in the effort to go the whole hog and completely personalise it.

I'm suprised excercise is bottom of the list :shock: lol. *makes mental note to start going running. Again. Maybe I will actually do it this time :roll:

Oh, I nearly forgot. Text in images tsk tsk, I say it to everyone so you're not getting away with it, although with a single 15k image it can hardly be considered gratuitous.

I wish you luck with your forum, it's looking good at the moment and I'm sure you will get the community going. Just out of curiousity, what is the "news" member, is it a bot that automagically posts news articles using RSS or something? Or just you by a different name :lol: ?
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks rtm!
If you check out the source, you'll see I've re-written a great deal of the HTML and CSS. Wow it's a lot of work! I'm lovin it though.

//edit just re-read what you wrote. doh.

I'm not overly concerned with supporting all user agents right now. You'll notice the abscence of ANY advertising. I intend to keep it this way for a year at least. The only advertising will be the single link I allow in sigs.

Thanks for taking the time to review it. I do appreciate it.
(:
  • DR01D
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

haha yeah i dont mind it throughout, the way you have done it works and its good to get away from sanserif used all the time, just wondering if you had tried ;-)

DR - I put on 10 kgs...on purpose ;-)
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

digitalMedia wrote:
If you check out the source, you'll see I've re-written a great deal of the HTML and CSS. Wow it's a lot of work! I'm lovin it though.

I'm not overly concerned with supporting all user agents right now.

Yeah, had a little poke around your code and I saw "sensible" use of tables only, which was nice. Personnally I never have the patience to strip something right down and then rebuild, I'd rather just do it all from scratch, but thats just me!

As for <b>all</b> user agents, it would be hard. Very hard to get a forum working on a cellphone for example. It's possible, I can think of a couple of ideas, but all are rather convoluted and not at all worth it. personnally I wouldn't bother, unless it was an excersise simply to prove that it <i>can</i> be done :lol:
  • Bladesling
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Bladesling
  • Loc: Utah

Post 3+ Months Ago

wow, my mom has been torturing herself with the atkins diet for about 6 months, she has lost a considerable amount of wieght but I'm possitive it isn't 140lbs maybe 60-40lbs... anyways congradulations.

For the site, I personally like the hover over blue, not totally persuade by the red.

The grey background is to bland, on a 1280x1024 size resolution there is way to much "just grey" to look at. Try adding some stripes in there or something :) not asking for a real pretty background.

The links are predictable, I like that, and are possitioned well.

I like how you made the forums tables

And your smilies look nice to! they aren't yellow, and twiching :lol:

Anywho, looks great :D maybe I'll trick my mom into signing up or something

// edit
hehe, btw if you haven't done any site reivews you can always start with mine :D the savage lands post :-p
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Excellent Bladesling! Thanks for the review. I will take a look at the savage lands as soon as I can.

:thumbsup:
  • soulseek3r
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • soulseek3r
  • Loc: Guyana

Post 3+ Months Ago

man i wrote a good review about the site and lost it cuz i clicked the wrong button. Lets try again

First of all i love those blue rollover button. it looks sweet and goes well with the header of the site. It's surprisingly slim but i guess that would give a message to certain viewers. the red rollover buttons however doesn't quite fit. I does not blend in. I don't know, maybe it's intentional.

I love the idea of the site. keep it up.
  • Sohaib
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Las Vegas

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey buddy
That's a cute site right there :roll:
Nice Layout
Nice buttons
Easy to Look at
eye catching graphics (don't hurt eyes)
plus i felt like Microsoft Word opened up and then i looked and it was your site, nice work well done

man iam good :lol:
  • veryhip
  • veryhip
  • Loc: Atlanta, GA

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah, i doubt you get any web search traffic... you don't have many if any links pointing to your site. that's the main thing ya know... if you make a site that people like enough to put a link on thier site., you know you've got something golden. i do like you site, and i am very impressed with your weight loss, and glad that you are lacing your lifestyle and dreams into your websites. that always makes a good combo, love and work.

i'd goto the yahoo directory and search for weight loss, and email all those site owners for link exchanges. that's the best way to get good ones. even tho dir.yahoo.com no longer gives any google page rank (at least never shows up in backward links) it's still a good place to find othe webmasters that are PROBABLY interested in all the link exchagnes they can fit on a page... but i wouldn't waste my time with FFA sites... just find a few ( maybe a dozen) sites that only trade with about 10-20 other sites... and make sure they are sites as well done as yours!

--oliver
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

soulseek3r wrote:
man i wrote a good review about the site and lost it cuz i clicked the wrong button. Lets try again

First of all i love those blue rollover button. it looks sweet and goes well with the header of the site. It's surprisingly slim but i guess that would give a message to certain viewers. the red rollover buttons however doesn't quite fit. I does not blend in. I don't know, maybe it's intentional.

I love the idea of the site. keep it up.

Ahh! The orange/red buttons. It was intentional. I sampled the blue color from the header and calculated the exact contrast which happened to fall close enough to #C30, that I used #C30. For personal reasons, it's a favorite color. Kooky, I know, but I use it every chance I get. lol.

sohaibG wrote:
That's a cute site right there :roll:
Nice Layout
Nice buttons
Easy to Look at
eye catching graphics (don't hurt eyes)
plus i felt like Microsoft Word opened up and then i looked and it was your site, nice work well done

man iam good :lol:

I'm not sure how to interpret the first and last lines. :scratchhead:

LOL, anyway. :)

I did consider that it looked like an application, but I was OK with that, so...ya know. I've thought about making a textile pattern for the background. That'd make it a little less sterile, I think.

veryhip wrote:
yeah, i doubt you get any web search traffic... you don't have many if any links pointing to your site. that's the main thing ya know... if you make a site that people like enough to put a link on thier site., you know you've got something golden. i do like you site, and i am very impressed with your weight loss, and glad that you are lacing your lifestyle and dreams into your websites. that always makes a good combo, love and work.

i'd goto the yahoo directory and search for weight loss, and email all those site owners for link exchanges. that's the best way to get good ones. even tho dir.yahoo.com no longer gives any google page rank (at least never shows up in backward links) it's still a good place to find othe webmasters that are PROBABLY interested in all the link exchagnes they can fit on a page... but i wouldn't waste my time with FFA sites... just find a few ( maybe a dozen) sites that only trade with about 10-20 other sites... and make sure they are sites as well done as yours!

--oliver

I did know about the links thing. I haven't really started trying to build those relationships yet. I was hoping to atleast get listed. At least 4,223,456th on a 6 word search. Before I do that, I wanted to build a base of posts, thinking that potentional members might be turned off, if they arrive at the site and there's only 2 or 3 people posting.

The "article" I wrote about myself, the one that's in my sig, is the page I'd like to have as my entrance page from searches and links. The things I've tried are this...loading up the text with redundant keywords, having an elaborate page title, providing one link from Ozzu, so far.

Do you think those things have any merit in the grand scheme?

Anyway, thanks to everyone for the reviews! :thumbsup:
  • sofy60
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • sofy60

Post 3+ Months Ago

very good style .. ill buy
  • jlknauff
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey DM, great site. From a marketing standpoint I really like the "slim" design-I think it really sends a message to the visitor even if they don't realize it. Very clean layout too. I'm going to throw a link to it in the health directory of my VSS site next week. It will be at:

http://www.vsssleep.com/diet.htm

Hope it helps you get some traffic :D

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 19 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers