SITE REVIEW: www.WhatsYourDeal.com

• nchoose
  • nchoose

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just put the site up on Jan 1. It has gone through 3 MAJOR revisions LOL

From super crowded to the now, very clean.

Please give input on the appearance, difficulty in navigating, the Forums and any tips or suggestions.

We are still working on the data entry for the coupons page, which will be a search by Feb 1. But for now it is a boring list LOL.

Thanks in advance for your review.
Kim

http://www.WhatsYourDeal.com
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• guyute
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • guyute

Post 3+ Months Ago

looks pretty nice... a little to much text straight down the middle, maybe allow pictures to be uploaded for a fee or something. how do you collect all the deals?

Dan
http://www.bar-specials.com
  • darkermoon
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Riverdale, MD

Post 3+ Months Ago

To me, it looks like it's missing something at the top.. just sort of doesn't look right to me.
  • sly1340
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: not available

Post 3+ Months Ago

you should have someone design you a logo, maybe post a contest on here offering to give away something free from your site, youll get tons of replies, other thatn that the site looks great
  • nchoose
  • nchoose

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for all the input.

We actually had a logo, but we dropped it for the "cleaner" look. I think we have found a fine balance now!!

I centered the text in the middle... am still working on "something" for the top center-right.

I know I want the date above the blue line, and in the blue line I would like the welcome:blahblah from the forum, but I have not quite figured out how to get that info from the forum database.

So what do you think now????
  • daremedy
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • daremedy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, you definitely need to fill out that header portion, its too empty on the right side. At the very least, put a border around it, then maybe find a related image on the net and try and incorporate it into an image for the header. Also, move that left column up a bit so its aligned at the top where the menu is. Just leaves too much white between it and the header. But hey, the colors and layout are top notch, I actually really like the color scheme, very easy on the eyes. The deals are awesome and should get you a lot of traffic.

My last suggestions, a footer, just to add a nice finish to your pages. Put in a copyright or all rights reserved, whatever you feel like and it should add to the completeness of your page. Also, you should put your styles and css in a separate file and just reference it into your html pages. Cleaner and easier to work with. And of course, add your meta description/keywords tags. Great site and a great job.
  • Abelius
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Miami Beach, FL, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am sorry, quick question from someone who had 7 Budweiser by now:

Once you get INTO the forum, where do you click (apart of the BACK-button) to get back to the main place?

Also: I don't think there is any artistry in what you made. Yes, the site is clean and polished, and admitted- the color combination is stupendous, but where is the effort there? The corner-cut tabs? Or the fact that I get YET ANOTHER place where I am supposed to tell a friend, or subscribe to a newsletter....?

Sorry but I rather subscribe to a newsletter of the major of Kabul, more stuff going on there!
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Hurricane...

Post 3+ Months Ago

Crowded main page. Where is the focal point for the viewer? You need one right away to catch their attention and draw them in. Content should be arranged in a certain matter exactly for that reason.

At the top of the main page, you're missing a space between "What's" & "Your".

Don't center your content.

Entry page should right away have an intro paragraph describing what your site is about. I still don't know what the purpose of the site is. This should be obvious from the get go or users will leave your site as quickly as they arrived. Your intro paragraph is located on the left side. Change it's location to center.

Too much scrolling through the categories, re-arrange your content in a more user-friendly matter. Noone likes to scroll down endlessly looking for something. Create a TOC if you have to.

DOn't publish sections that aren't complete. "Sunday Ads" for example, should be hidden b/c putting a "coming soon" insinuates that the site isn't complete and it makes you look less professional. Either hold off on publishing the whole site until it's all complete or hide the unfinished sections for the time being.

The tell a friend feature, instead of it linking directly to an email, create a form for ppl to fill out and submit online. This will benefit those who use ONLY web based email accounts or those on a shared computer (schools, libraries, etc).

Why is the content information opening up in a new window? Don't make links open in a new browser window unless you are linking to outside URLs. It may confuse the user.

You don't have a "home" button. You should include one so users may go back to the main page. If you don't want to, then make the logo clickable and linking to the main page.

The option to make your site someone's homepage doesn't work. (I mean the link isn't active)

Your code looks ok to me.

8)
  • nebbie2004
  • Born
  • Born
  • nebbie2004

Post 3+ Months Ago

The right side needs more to me.
  • alerik
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: People Republic of China

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very nice website and very clean. I hope you will put some graphics in because it is so much text.

Maybe you can also put in a link at the bottom 'Back to Top.

You have a lot of empty spaces in your site. You can spice up the site to put some nice frames in it related to your services.

If you go trough your tabs there is a lot.......and i mean a lot of info. Make it interesting for visitors to read that. This will bring you much more potential.

Good luck and have fun. :deal:
  • danielgilbey
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Hampshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Too much text was my first impression, also the fact that there is no banner image or 'logo' of sorts to identify you/your site as being what it is (I don't know what you should put there, maybe some dollars getting hammered smaller???)
Didn't like the content links scrolling down so far, maybe have 2 or 3 side by side if you're stuck on that layout? You have a lot of space to fill on the right hand side so maybe that could help you fill it out a bit.
I would say you need some images at least to break up the text and to add a little 'eye candy' I think the term is.
Personally, I hate sites that offer me the chance to 'make it my homepage' if someone finds your site useful or informative they will bookmark you anyway, so I'd lose that option (my personal opinion)
For the Coupons & Affiliate stores pages, what about an alphabet header to take you straight to the letter index you want as opposed to scrolling?
For the forums I (again personal opinion) didn't like the smilies etc. Really, it put me off straight away.
Just my tuppence worth...
  • edbri871
  • edbri871

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice page overall. I would say that you should have a logo proffessionally designed. Get rid of some of the text and add maybe some images to brighten the page up a bit.

Get rid of some of the emptiness.

Brian
  • nchoose
  • nchoose

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks so much for all your input. I have been busy working on the backend database and have not made many changes to the front end at all.

I have read all your reviews, and appreciate your suggestions. I will be making more changes over the next couple of days.

Again thank a bunch!

Contructive Criticism goes a long way in constructing :)

Thanks,
Kim

http://www.WhatsYourDeal.com
  • nchoose
  • nchoose

Post 3+ Months Ago

More updates have been applied. Please let me know what you think now.

I appreciate all the constructive criticism so far. The site has really grown. Two months now and well over 1000 uniques a day.

Thanks again for your input!

Kim,

http://www.whatsyourdeal.com
  • Mythos
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Mythos

Post 3+ Months Ago

It looks like a proft making site.
If I was you I should add a mroe clear menu so that it looks mroe proffesinal.
Also, as somone else already said, something is missing at the top.
You might place the banner there in the middle, that wil make your site really one part and will make it look more proffesional.
  • Mp2D
  • Mp2D

Post 3+ Months Ago

generally speaking, you need to sort things out properly for this kind of site to make it easier for people to navigate through...so one of the things that must be avoided is to crowd things with no particular connection in terms of its category....well, your site is looking good but you can do better.
  • ctrenks
  • Student
  • Student
  • ctrenks

Post 3+ Months Ago

First off you have a TON of information on the site, nice work! One thing I noticed is if you click a link in the main page (deal on forum) it opens a new window for the forum, but if you go to the tab it uses the same window. I would integrate the links to all remain in a singlw window and place your tabs in the forum header so it appears to more integrated with the rest of the site.
  • FlaFilly
  • FlaFilly
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Some of the url 's are not clickable. It's not very inviting and a bit tiresome to read. Maybe some graphics here or there would spice it up and make it more interesting to the eye. Maybe put the information in table format so that it doesn't just fill up the page and look monotonous. Otherwise, very useful information and very thorough. :wink:
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

your site will look better if you align it to the center.
you need a better looking logo too.
gd luck!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 19 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers