SITE REVIEW: www.wicked-web.info

• penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned
  • Loc: Behind you !

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.wicked-web.info/

Ok I would like comments on main page only, As the only other page working is contact and there is not much to see there :P
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• choyon
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • choyon

Post 3+ Months Ago

i think its not so good....
please try to make it more professional...
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

choyon wrote:
i think its not so good....
please try to make it more professional...

The whole point in this forum and topic is to find out what other members think could improve a site. Clearly Penguin admits there are areas in which his site could be improved, so your post was not very useful.

If you are not going to help people then please avoid leaving unhelpful posts like this.
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks SB. I am not so great with webdesign. To be honest its my real first attempt at it.

Could anyone advise me in what I could do to improve.

- Thank you :)
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well first things first i couldn't help but check out the site source...

HTML Code: [ Select ]
<html>
<head>
<title>Wicked-web</title>
<meta name="description" content="Insert Description Here">
<meta name="keywords" content="Insert Keywords Here">
<style type="text/css">
  1. <html>
  2. <head>
  3. <title>Wicked-web</title>
  4. <meta name="description" content="Insert Description Here">
  5. <meta name="keywords" content="Insert Keywords Here">
  6. <style type="text/css">

Notice anything missing from here?

I'm guessing you've taken the html code from a template site or something? Not to be too obvious, but when it says "Insert Description Here" it actually means you have to insert Description. Same with the Keywords. I personally don't know much about the whole meta name section of sites, however i've never really seen the point in adding a description.

I personally prefer to work on the CSS on a seperate document and link it to the page you are working on. This actually will keep it very neat and tidy and saves you from having to add the CSS information on every page you are working on.

As for the overall design of the site? i'm curious as to where it came from? did you buy it from a site? or did you personally design it and all the graphics? The text on the main index page is good, however i personally don't find the centered text that interesting. I think it's smarter if the text is justified or if you are not into the justifying of text then just leave it left aligned.

I'm going to guess because your domain name is "wicked-web" you've decided to name the site "wicked-web" and plan to market the site as "wicked-web" as opposed to "Wicked Web"? i ask because i'd personally try and steer away from having the hyphen in between the words and change the "title" in the html to show "Wicked Web" instead.

Might i also suggest you add a favicon to the site? If you don't know what that is and you'd like to know how to do it then check out this link.

Don't say i'm never nice to you :wink:
  • zaiah
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • zaiah

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey, I would say you need more content to get a really good review. Not saying SB hasn't. But I think not much more can be said until you have more to talk about. Is this going to be some type of forum?
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

There is a lot more stuff that needs to be done to the site. It's so bare at the moment and there isn't much to go on. Having looked even further it's very obviously your using a template from somewhere. To be honest, whilst it may be a pain at the moment it's not a bad idea to completely scrap what you have and re-design it yourself.

I'm by no means an expert in web design, but i do know that people are more likely to frequently visit the website if you make it as easy and more personal. I should also add that regardless of what you do next it's still going to take a while for anybody to visit the site and contribute as often as you might like. I say that because there is nothing on the site that makes your site unique. What you are offering is something that someone can already get elsewhere at an even larger community. You need to give your site something unique, something that will attract people to come back occaisonally.

Topped with the template site and the general poor coding as well as lack of meaning i think you'll be very lucky with this site.

Don't be disheartened with what i am saying here, just take this as good advice and realistic advice too. Heck if you hate me as much for saying this then prove me wrong, i'm sure it probably can be done but being completely honest i'll be very surprised.
  • jameson5555
  • Bronze Robot
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm confused.. Is this an actual design, or just a default template? It looks much more like a template to me.

With a URL like wicked-web, I'd go another direction with the design and color scheme.. maybe sharper angles and darker colors.
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

Right I have scrapped the template. And moved my forum to the main directory for now. My concern Is I know so little about css :(
  • jameson5555
  • Bronze Robot
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

penguin wrote:
Right I have scrapped the template. And moved my forum to the main directory for now. My concern Is I know so little about css :(

Hey, there's only one way to learn, right? :)
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Told you it looked like a template ;)
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

penguin wrote:

You'd be surprised at how fun experimenting in CSS is. Go browse forums for tutorials or check out the w3schools website. There are hundreds of sites out there with heaps of useful and cool tutorials that will help you re-design the site.

Seriously, the only way to learn is to take the time and do these. If you are interested in CSS then the learning process won't be a problem.
  • webmindz24
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • webmindz24

Post 3+ Months Ago

As your are using PHPBB.. first choose a template for you.. if this the template you like and would like to work on to make your site (forum), try learning phpbb controls to edit the template..

You are just showing us the simple template.. not even changed your website name (as it showing in general yoursite.com) In this template the logo (yoursite.com) is an image stored at http://www.wicked-web.info/styles/SubLi ... e_logo.gif
try to change it first..

To make your link http://www.wicked-web.info workable you need to learn both CSS and php.. you can learn from many resources such as w3schools.com

Try to do some editing in the code of your template and lets see what happend.. you can learn by playing with the code of your tempalte..
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think on the interests of letting this one lie you should perhaps lock it? because you've decided to take the original site down and your just sticking with the phpBB template at the moment it's not doing much good having the topic active now.

I'll leave it entirely up to you though.
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok its back with a new design. :)

any comments guys?
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's a free template. That's enough...it's poor and whilst the design looks alright it's all about what's under the hood so to speak.

I don't mean to be harsh, but if you want a good site then it's worth it to spend a bit of time experimenting with different coding. It's the only way you'll learn.
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok thanks SB. :)
  • murcielagossi
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm not a huge fan of the design, for instance...how is the egg shaped nav links related to your site, the nav takes up like 1/3 of the body space. Also I would suggest you create a more rememberable header/logo.
  • farrhad
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • farrhad

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice design! I like the colors. Don't know how but try and make it more interactive......Also replace the text at the top left with a nice logo.
If you want a excellent yet cheap designer let me know (PM me)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 19 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers