SITE REVIEW: XMLTraining.com XML Training courses resource.

• xml
  • xml

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

I've just finished work on <a href="http://www.xmltraining.com" title="XML Training Courses, XML Classes, XML Books and XML Resources for the IT Professional">http://www.xmltraining.com</a> and would much appreciate any constructive criticism on the design.

The website is basically a resource for people searching for XML training courses, books, tutorials and other XML related articles.

Thanks
  • SharkShark
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Living In Today

Post 3+ Months Ago

well, I must say I am thouroughly impressed. The site looks real good, It loaded up incredibly fast and caught my attention right away. The content is good, looks like you thought it out well. On your free XML tutorials page, why are the links so huge??? that totally messed up the professionalism of the site. Blew it right out the window. LOL make them uniform with the rest of the site, and you got it made IMO. Two Thumbs Up!
  • xml
  • xml

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi thanks!

The tutorials page uses H1 tags, your right, I think making them smaller would make it flow better!

Thanks
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is there any reason for the H1 tags? It's a bit in-your-face and looks rather unprofessional in a very professional-looking site.

I haven't looked through the tutorials properly but they look very thorough. The only thing that struck me was the use of bullet points. Bullet points are great for getting short sharp message accross, but I prefer tutorials to be a bit more descriptive. A lot of text puts people off, but all those bullet points makes me think:

Quote:
Each one of those bullet points is a fact that I will need to learn. On the page I'm looking at now there are 99 bullets - thats far to many facts for a lazy person like me to take in.

I think this is probably just me, but that does put me off a little.

In terms of the quality of tutorials I think it is probably one of the best XML tutorials I have seen.
Lol I have just seen why those "screen shots" loaded so quick - I may have to steal that trick at some point if you don't mind?

I must also congratulate you on not using text in images and not using images for links, I tend to spend a lot of time telling people not to do this and no-one ever listens :( lol

It's a very nice site and I wish you luck with it :D
  • Liquescence
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Queens, NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ooooh this is a great site. Pricey, but extremely useful. I'm not sure of the Google-esque look was intended, but I like it. Hmm... at the bottom of the page, where you have the copyright, it's very difficult to see XML and .com surrounding tutorial. Maybe changing to a darker color would help. Heh I thought the code divs were screenshots. =P Well done; keep it up!
  • Gints Vitols
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Gints Vitols
  • Loc: Latvia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Visually the site is really great. The logo is cool, color scheme, backgrounds, and overall style are very good and look very professional. The content is good, too. Tutorials nicely summarize the most important aspects of XML and RDF without forcing the reader to dig through huge amounts of boring details. Actually they are best introductory texts on XML I have seen so far on the Web.

At the same time the navigation and site structure really disappointed me. There are many inconsistencies, navigation is hard and the site structure is messy. Below I will try to summarize my impressions:

When I go to "XML Training Courses" and "XML Books" pages it's hard to understand what goes on - heading stays the same, only same words change color. Also some text changes but some text remains. Takes some time to figure it out and it is still confusing.

There is no main page. So when I got lost and want to get back at the beginning, I don't know where to go.

Site structure is VERY confusing. It's impossible to tell where I am at the given moment. For example, on "XML Training Courses" page (after I figure that I am on that page) I click on the "XML Summer School 2004 Oxford, England ..." link. The new page has heading "XML Training Course: XML Summer School 2004 Oxford, England". That makes sense. Then there's some "Category: Advanced XML Training" link at the top of a page, so I click it. Now I am at "General XML: Advanced XML Training Courses". Wait, there were no categories at the "XML Training Courses" page, were they? Or maybe I am now in some "General XML" section?

What is "Latest XML News" doing on "XML Training Courses" page, anyway, when you can find them on "XML Articles Search" page by clicking "XML Articles" link, which, by the way, is still confusing.

You can never know what you will find in the left column. Typically there's a navigation bar titled "XML Training Courses", but on "XML Books" page there's another navigation bar, but on "XML Articles" page there's no navigation bar at all.

Speaking of that navigation bar, under the "XML Training Courses" you can find "General XML" courses, nicely categorized by complexity. It turns out that the right way to get at them was using the navigation bar, and not the "XML Training Courses" page (where are listed only the LATEST courses). However if you choose ".NET XML Training" or "Java XML Training" links, the site informs that "There are currently no courses in this category", but you can still "use the search option to find a desired course". I'm not sure how search option is going to help me if the course is not there. OK, it appears that the "XML Programming" section is empty. No wait, there's "XML Applications with Perl training" course under the "General XML Programming Training" hiding there. Almost missed this one between the nonexistent courses.

Some other minor problems:

The links on "Free XML Tutorials" and "Tools" pages are much bigger than links on other pages.

In the first tutorial "Free Extensible Markup Language (XML) Tutorial Introduction" the color that is used for links, is used for some subheadings making them look like links.

In the horizontal navigation bar at the top of the page, under the header, on some pages the "Provider Login/Sign Up" link is missing.
  • xml
  • xml

Post 3+ Months Ago

I thank you all for the great feedback, it is MUCH appreciated and I strive to get the site modified.

The <H1> ARE a design mistake :(, we used them for SEO reasons, but obviously design must come first - thanks for pointing this out!

Liquescence:
Pricey? Do you mean the XML training courses are pricey? They are from third party vendors, we don't actually supply XML training courses ourselves.

Gints Vitols - A special thanks for the detailed reply!
  • Liquescence
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Queens, NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ah! I see! I was under the impression that you were doing the courses yourselves... *smacks my forehead*

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers