SITE REVIEW: YazaaWeb Inc

• TheArchitect
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • TheArchitect
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey everyone. Tis my second site up for review, but I've given 3 reviews to put this one up. :wink: Okay, here it is: YazaaWeb Inc

It's basically a software dev/paramedia site I've set up with two friends. Since then the network's expanded like crazy. Our PR went down pretty bad with the launch of vIII (from 7 to 3 :? ) that's why I'm trying to build it up again. Anyway, hope you guys like it. :wink:
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Abelius
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Miami Beach, FL, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Like it...????????

You mean, "like it" like "it's good"...????????

The font.
The graphics.
The content.
The appearance.
The general balance.
The idea.
The colors.
The search funcionality.

It's just about all PERFECT, man! :)

One thing tho: The redirecting of the contact form makes the entire site be re-loaded in the iframe... Not good!
  • TheArchitect
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • TheArchitect

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow...I'm flattered. :oops: Thanks a lot for the kind words! It's good to know some people think it's nice. I really appreciate your comments. Thank you. :wink: (Sorry about the contact redirect, I'll fix that!)
  • Mas Sehguh
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

1. One of the major problems with the site is the use of mixed up metaphors. In some instances, a dotted box around an image means a hyperlink, while in others, there is no hyperlink.

2. The text is all but unreadable, since you completely prevent resizing of fonts. Is this because you like making people suffer? Well, of course not, but many, many people will have trouble reading your site. They'll just leave and go somewhere else.

3. You deviate from common Web practices in that your links are not underlined. They are not even a different color. The only thing that indicates its content as a hyperlink, in some cases, is the use of square brackets around the link. Except that other square-bracketed text isn't hyperlinked.

To sum this behavior up in one sentence, I'd say that brackets indicate the enclosed text as being hyperlinked, except for when they do not indicate the enclosed text as being hyperlinked.

4. I don't care how many unique hits you've had, and I don't care about my IP address.

5. You use images without alt attributes.

6. What is a "Re-evolutionary concept"?

7. "Welcome back"? This is my first time to the site.

8. One cannot link to individual pages in your site; only the main page, because you use a frame.

The site is a usability and accessibility nightmare.

Good things about it:
- The graphics are nice.
  • TheArchitect
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • TheArchitect

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sam Hughes wrote:
1. One of the major problems with the site is the use of mixed up metaphors. In some instances, a dotted box around an image means a hyperlink, while in others, there is no hyperlink.

2. The text is all but unreadable, since you completely prevent resizing of fonts. Is this because you like making people suffer? Well, of course not, but many, many people will have trouble reading your site. They'll just leave and go somewhere else.

3. You deviate from common Web practices in that your links are not underlined. They are not even a different color. The only thing that indicates its content as a hyperlink, in some cases, is the use of square brackets around the link. Except that other square-bracketed text isn't hyperlinked.

To sum this behavior up in one sentence, I'd say that brackets indicate the enclosed text as being hyperlinked, except for when they do not indicate the enclosed text as being hyperlinked.

4. I don't care how many unique hits you've had, and I don't care about my IP address.

5. You use images without alt attributes.

6. What is a "Re-evolutionary concept"?

7. "Welcome back"? This is my first time to the site.

8. One cannot link to individual pages in your site; only the main page, because you use a frame.

The site is a usability and accessibility nightmare.

Good things about it:
- The graphics are nice.

Okay, first of all...

It's called being different and thinking outside of the box. If everyone kept playing by the rules Hitler would have ruled the world today! There's a thing known as trying something different you know. I mean, I truly appreciate your comments and suggestions but most of them aren't based on constructive critisizm but rather being traditionally bias, in the context of web design that is. Maybe I should put a sign up, "If you're really old and can't read *plum*...click here to be redirected to the television."

Please disregard any uppitiness, condescendence, belittling, and communism that you have inferred from the above posting. :wink:
  • ylwsub68
  • ylwsub68

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, I do like the layout... but something about the universal black and white and the small text everywhere... I can't put my finger on it.

No variety in your Software section? I think there should be pictures of the products, or at least some font size diversity in there. It's all the same and it's difficult to tell where one section ends and another begins.

But in terms of content... boffo, my friend. Just boffo. :)
  • katana
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Like the site psyc0w. I think the main content of each page looks a little odd. I would perhaps give it more definition (perhaps a background colour or image etc). I'd possibly use different font sizes too, just to split the page up a little and allow the eye to see at a glance what the main text of your site is.
I'm not a big fan of the dotted/dashed border, so my only other suggestion would be to use less of it (but, hey, I might be biased there :D ). One small point - there's a typo in your 'about' page: 'aswel' instead of 'as well'.
  • Mas Sehguh
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

psyc0w wrote:
Okay, first of all...

It's called being different and thinking outside of the box. If everyone kept playing by the rules Hitler would have ruled the world today! There's a thing known as trying something different you know. I mean, I truly appreciate your comments and suggestions but most of them aren't based on constructive critisizm but rather being traditionally bias, in the context of web design that is. Maybe I should put a sign up, "If you're really old and can't read *plum*...click here to be redirected to the television."

You asked for opinions, but you're just ignoring everything negative. Why ask at all, if you're just looking for people to kiss your ass?

The only thing that design has going for it is a vague notion of aesthetics. That's it. It fails on most of the important tests.

Also, all but #4 are constructive criticism.
  • TheArchitect
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • TheArchitect

Post 3+ Months Ago

ylwsub68 wrote:
No variety in your Software section?

Well that's probably because I'm 16 and the other guy's 15. We don't really have _that_ much time to keep programming all the time. We're looking at a release for December of a Google tool. Plus the recent expansion of the YazaaWeb Inc network's taken up most of our time lately.

katana wrote:
One small point - there's a typo in your 'about' page: 'aswel' instead of 'as well'.

Thanks man. I've always wondered about the 'as well' thing. :oops:

Sam Hughes wrote:
You asked for opinions, but you're just ignoring everything negative. Why ask at all, if you're just looking for people to kiss your ass?

The only thing that design has going for it is a vague notion of aesthetics. That's it. It fails on most of the important tests.

Also, all but #4 are constructive criticism.

I don't want everyone to kiss my ass, ylwsub68 and katana made good points about the site but you just seem to insult and flame me due to some personal insecurity you have or somethin'. And no, #4 _is_ not the only opinion, most of them are. If you don't like it man, then just close the window. I'm not here to listen to how bad it sucks. I'm here to listen on how to improve on it. Answer questions on it. That's what this forum is all about...unless I've got it wrong. :wink:
  • TheArchitect
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • TheArchitect

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow...ehhh...it just double posted. Sorry bout that. :oops:
  • cinfinity
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • cinfinity

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think you should actually pay attention to what Sam Hughes said because I had pretty much same thoughts as I was viewing it. What is your site is about? Anyone coming to your site should know the answer to that within 5 seconds or they are going to leave. Your logo is hard as hell to read. If I hadn't known that it was yazaa i would have never known, the z is unrecognizable. Links are not apparent at all. Those are some things you should work on.
  • TheArchitect
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • TheArchitect

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmmm...maybe I'll look into this. It's not suppose to be "straight-forward" though. Cool Concept. Confusing Name. Mass Hysteria. Since 2002. That's what it's about. Anyway, PC Magazine liked it. :wink: At least it's unique, eh?
  • Mas Sehguh
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

psyc0w wrote:
I don't want everyone to kiss my ass, ylwsub68 and katana made good points about the site but you just seem to insult and flame me due to some personal insecurity you have or somethin'. And no, #4 _is_ not the only opinion, most of them are. If you don't like it man, then just close the window. I'm not here to listen to how bad it sucks. I'm here to listen on how to improve on it.

I have not been flaming at all. Each numbered point of mine is about how to improve it. I guess I will have to explain each one...

1: This item explains a basic usability problem that may confuse and agitate visitors. Things can be improved by removing the problem.

2: This item points out that your site's text is quite small and that most users cannot resize it. This is like building a restaurant without a wheelchair ramp. Actually, that analogy is not quite correct: It is like acquiring a restaurant that already has a wheelchair ramp, only to destroy it to create room for decorative flora.

Your site can be easily improved in that respect by setting the text size relative to the user's font size and using less tiny bitmaps (or, perhaps, less-tiny bitmaps) of text.

3: You can fix problem number three by no longer following that practice.

4: Well, I don't, and nobody else cares about that information either. It does nothing other than get in the way of the information the user will be looking for.

5: I should not have to explain this one...

6: I am just curious about this one. What is a "re-evolutionary concept"? What does it mean to "re-evolve," and how does a concept "re-evolve"?

7: I should not have to explain this one either...

8: This is a very important point. Essentially, your site, in the way it uses frames, breaks the fundamental model of the World Wide Web. If people can only link to the root page, we fall back to the model of Gopher. This can be solved by not implementing things in this manner.

You see, any "flaming" that you experienced is entirely a construction of your imagination (with some having to do with my writing style).
  • frank_tudor
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Plattsmouth, NE

Post 3+ Months Ago

It is very nice...I smell money in your future!

It looks like your other site except better :)
  • TheArchitect
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • TheArchitect

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sam Hughes wrote:
I have not been flaming at all. Each numbered point of mine is about how to improve it. I guess I will have to explain each one...

1: This item explains a basic usability problem that may confuse and agitate visitors. Things can be improved by removing the problem.

2: This item points out that your site's text is quite small and that most users cannot resize it. This is like building a restaurant without a wheelchair ramp. Actually, that analogy is not quite correct: It is like acquiring a restaurant that already has a wheelchair ramp, only to destroy it to create room for decorative flora.

Your site can be easily improved in that respect by setting the text size relative to the user's font size and using less tiny bitmaps (or, perhaps, less-tiny bitmaps) of text.

3: You can fix problem number three by no longer following that practice.

4: Well, I don't, and nobody else cares about that information either. It does nothing other than get in the way of the information the user will be looking for.

5: I should not have to explain this one...

6: I am just curious about this one. What is a "re-evolutionary concept"? What does it mean to "re-evolve," and how does a concept "re-evolve"?

7: I should not have to explain this one either...

8: This is a very important point. Essentially, your site, in the way it uses frames, breaks the fundamental model of the World Wide Web. If people can only link to the root page, we fall back to the model of Gopher. This can be solved by not implementing things in this manner.

You see, any "flaming" that you experienced is entirely a construction of your imagination (with some having to do with my writing style).

Yes, I apologize. It did, however, occur to me that you just criticized me to the extent of flaming. Arg! Maybe it's your sophisticated writing style! See?! You've infected me with it! :P

frank_tudor wrote:
It is very nice...I smell money in your future!

It looks like your other site except better :)

Thanks man. My nose is blocked but if you smell it then I'll take your word on it! :wink:
  • soulseek3r
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • soulseek3r
  • Loc: Guyana

Post 3+ Months Ago

dude...all i can say is ecellent job. u made the broken lines look extremely kool. love it. and the contents are great too. keep it up.
  • TheArchitect
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • TheArchitect

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks man. Great site you have there. Amazing gallery. *embarrassed in your presence* :oops:
  • mr_darek
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Some advice psyc0w - if anyone offers you criticism, positive or negative...take it, it can only benefit you. As you'll experience as you get older in this industry, many and I do mean many clients and people will not always like what you have to offer.,

As far as the site is concerned, I think the main points were already mentioned, so I won't beat a dead horse, but I do think your links need to be more obvious - that I will repeat as it is important, perhaps adding some fun rollovers to those great icons you have would be beneficial as well.
  • Anty
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Anty
  • Loc: Switzerland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello,

At first the site looks very simple but I really like the icons. Ok, icons are fun but the site looks damn empty. White is everywhere and it really looks like...like a code editor ! White is nice but it becomes boring the more I stay on the site.

It looks ok for a site of coders but you could do better. For example, adding colours and gfx. Moreover, your site isn't validated HTML Transitional !!! Not only XHTML but HTML too ! It a negative point for coders. :)

+
  • Mas Sehguh
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Anty wrote:
Not only XHTML but HTML too !

Huh?
  • Anty
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Anty
  • Loc: Switzerland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I mean, XHTML is a standard that too few people know, it's easy to implement. HTML is less strict than XHTML and this site isn't validated by the w3c validator as HTML...of course it's a detail, also a flaw.

To try the w3 validator, go there http://validator.w3.org then enter the url you want to test. :)
  • TheArchitect
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • TheArchitect

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hehe, thanks for the comments. I'll have to work on those ALT tags huh? :wink:
  • gaparker
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: England, uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Maybe you could have a exciting background for the title page?
  • awilkins
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

try putting a gud backround on 2 get more people interested!
  • TheArchitect
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • TheArchitect

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmmm...what do you guys mean? :?:
  • Mas Sehguh
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yah, a background image would just make the text hard to read :s
  • TheArchitect
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • TheArchitect

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sam Hughes wrote:
Yah, a background image would just make the text hard to read :s

I concur. I was, however, thinking about improving content. I think that's the main flaw in the site. lol. So to speak. :wink:
  • Mas Sehguh
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would try to make the user able to more easily see what content they should be looking at. I went back to the site and realized that I can't even tell where to start reading. Every section is emphasized uniformly by dotted lines.
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

i reviewed another site very similar to this.

but... a forum wouldn't hurt :P

a forum with a theme that almost matches the site exactly would be a good way to build up the content, and make people want to visit the site more.
  • daniel.g.wood
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • daniel.g.wood
  • Loc: England

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't normally like sites like this... however the thing you've done wit the @icons@ is very sweet looking. well done on the site overall, i have even bookmarked it!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 33 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers