SITE REVIEW: yourstdhelp.com

• wallarookiller
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

started up a new site not completely done yet but a few pages are prettymuch complete. just a small 20 or so page site about stds and viruses. before i go any farther just want some feed back about design rankings and usabillaty. ill edmit im not the best at html or pretty much design but so far so good. so whatcha think?
pages that are almost complete
the hiv and clamidia

http://yourstdhelp.com
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Firstly, check the w3cmarkup validator for your HTML errors ... http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http% ... elp.com%2F

Okay, on your home page, that little flash thing below the first paragraph switches over too fast ... and all your images are really poor quality ... for nice stock images check out http://www.sxc.hu ... they've got real nice pics ...

In the navigation bar on the left, can't you make it that if a visitor is on "hepatitis" page that the "hepatitis" link is disabled, so the page doesn't link to itself, and then you can change that link's colour so that the visitor can see on which page he/she is

Also the "scabies" page is missing or the link is broken ... And so is "crabs", "Gonorrhea", "hepatitis", "Genital Warts (HPV)" and "General Herpes"

then right at the bottom, maybe instead of putting "Disclaimer", "Webmasters", "Contact" on the left, in the white, put it in a new table row and make it one shade darker or lighter than the rest or something like that ...

Then also, why the hell is that random poll just there below your page, that just messes it all up seriously ... just put it somewhere usefull please like maybe on the left just below your menu, then it's more visible aswell ...

the whole white border also bothers me quite a bit, don't you just want to make it a lighter shade than the background you've got for the content ...
  • wallarookiller
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm sorry I did'nt expain myself clearly this is my first draft and I wanted to catch any dumb problems early. I know theres a random poll at the bottom I had just put it in the page somewhere else seeing what I thought of having a poll and then just before i posted here I tossed it at the bottom of the page. I should have removed it. The feed back about the flash is good to know, don't want it moving to fast, and when you said "flash thingy", it helped me out alot because I kept telling myself to just drop it but the other side of me just loves messing with flash even though I hate slow loading websites with usless flash. I'll be honest I don't have much of a clue about the validation. I've done it myself and I'm not always sure what I'm suposed to do as I am a self learner and just got off of wysiwyg editors. I always ended up having to change the code manually in the end anyway, so I just decided to do it myself.

So I tried to fix the code and doctype but it still doesnt come up different. Any help there is MUCH appreciated. Love the idea of fading the color and for the pics I was going to keep everything except the orange one for hpv. but now that you mention it the doctor is fuzzy bigtime. As for the pages not being linked correct, they arent uploaded yet, I just wanted the chlamydia and hiv page to be looked at. I kind of wanted to see what people thought before I continued and I'm already thankfull. Any more help is much appreciated and thank you righteous_trespasser for your time and great input.
  • Birmingham
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Birmingham, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

sorry for the bad review but i think you need to know. your site is blocked by my library's internet filtering service, presumably because it shares an ip with a less ethically orientated website. change of hosting might help.
  • wallarookiller
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

wow thats really good to know!? I do have a host that is ok with adult sites thats some great information I would never have known thank you. Places like librays is place many people might search for this info.

Can I ask what country your in?
  • Birmingham
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Birmingham, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

wallarookiller wrote:
Can I ask what country your in?

UK. In the City of Birmingham - the second largest city in the UK, where every library in the city implements the same filtering service.

To request an unblocking, or find out more info:
http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/GenerateCo ... ENU_ID=260

If you don't get a reply from them, please let me know because they can be lazy at times.
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: ATL-GA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Walla this site is well arranged but I am not sure about the Papyrus. I am not sure how standard a font it is (I am pretty sure its on most pc's but not on macs) Also I'm not sure how well it holds up on the web side. Also I would look into making the flash window smooth scrolling (just throw a tween on it and let it do all the work) and put an border around it so it doesn't look like a standard font.
  • slash007
  • Student
  • Student
  • slash007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your site has a good template but ithnk contents are not shown well.You should also show your links clearly in blog roll.
  • wallarookiller
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks guys I appreciate all the help I'm gonna get right on it and come back to see what you think!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers