SITE REVIEW: Zpoon:BLOGGED - Generation 6

• Zpoon
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Norway

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just finished Generation 6 of my blog design, and would like feedback on it :)

http://blog.zpoon.net
  • mr_darek
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice design. Especially the artwork in the banner, is that your own? A magnificent piece if it is or isn't.

The color scheme is eath toned which quite frankly is quite alright as it escapes the typical WHITENESS from most blog sites. I would just leave the recent entries revealed as opposed to having a link to them, at this point with blog sites, we expect to be able to scroll down to past blogs....

Nice job with CSS and coding in general, I asme as this site progresses more links will be available....as in music and other topics....
  • mr_darek
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

eath = earth....

Ha, just found that eath is actually a word - hence the spell check didn't pick it up as a mistake....

1 entry found for eath.

eath

\Eath\, a. & adv. [AS. e['a]?e.] Easy or easily. [Obs.] ``Eath to move with plaints.'' --Fairfax.
  • Abelius
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Miami Beach, FL, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Norway, eh? :)

Well, let me tell you something. Your site looks surprisingly well designed, mature in its finishing touch and its color scheme and -over all-it's a refreshing change to what I have been seeing lately in here!
  • liltman
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • liltman
  • Loc: England, Hartlepool, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

you have a good clean layout here, i like the colours, i always wanted to make a site with them type of colours but everytime i try that type of colour i can never do it :S lol don't ask me why because i don't know.

mr_darek already asked if you drew that picture yourself but i ain't seen no reply, and would like to know if you did
  • Zpoon
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Heh... As stated in the text on index.php it is Luis Royo who has drawn the pic. I wish i was THAT talented ;)
  • Mas Sehguh
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Visually, the site looks fine. However, there are some unnecessary problems in other respects.

First, you've set the font size using pixel or point values. I have not looked in the source code, but at any rate, the font is unresizable in Internet Explorer. If people have their font size set to larger than average, this means that they can't read or don't want to read at the normal font size. If any harm is done to the design by some people seeing a larger font size, it is much less than the harm done by imposing unreadable text on willing readers.

I would have the hyperlinks, or at least the ones not in the navigation column, underlined by default. This makes life a lot easier for readers who are new to computers and the Web. Underlined text is immediately recognizable as a link; right now, it is only a slightly different shade than the regular content.

71.3 kilobytes is much too large for a single image. That's a lot of waiting for for most Internet users.

Overall, I would say "Nice Job." The source code is an excellent textbook example of how HTML should be written.
  • Zpoon
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

I might get thrashed for saying this, but that is an IE fault, not a code error. Text re-sizing works fine in FF, Opera and Safari....

Text size is set in em's btw.

I know the header is a bit large, and I'm planning to try to do something about is asap.

Underlined links in menu is not a bad idea actually. Might do that :)
  • Jepps98
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Umm, not exactly sure...

Post 3+ Months Ago

WOW, what can I say, very very very nice work on that site man :wink: I hope your having fun at it :oops:
  • soulseek3r
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • soulseek3r
  • Loc: Guyana

Post 3+ Months Ago

damnn...that's a sweet header. Best I've seen in weeks. Kudos to u man. I just don't like the peice cuz it's beautifully done but cuz of the concept... a beauitul angel soothing a what seems to be a demon. I love the concept.
  • dojo
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Timisoara, Romania

Post 3+ Months Ago

Like it a lot. Left a message :D
Great work. It's a pleasure for the eye ;)
  • darkermoon
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Riverdale, MD

Post 3+ Months Ago

very nicely done. The only thing I would say is that at my resolution the content looks quite narrow but, I'm pretty sure that's a fault of my own, not yours.
  • Zpoon
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

heh.. I know the layout is a bit narrow, just an idea i got when making Generation 5 of the blog. I'll probably do something different with G7, as you're not the first to comment on the width.
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

Zpoon, congrats on one of the best blogs I have seen in quite some time!

The width is nice because the space on the sides complements the site nicely and helps ease the visitor. If you have ever done any for-print work, you know that white (blank) space is always the best element to a design when it is done correctly.

I think you got your classes messed up on your links. The menu links SHOULD go lighter when you hover and the body links SHOULD go darker. For some reason, probably mixed up css classes, they are opposite. The actual text of the menu links doesn't match the menu background as nicely as the rest of the colors; perhaps make them the same color as the content background.

Again, very nicely put together!
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

nice design!

I just think that your top graphic will look better in the background..

just my 2 cents.
  • nero
  • Student
  • Student
  • nero

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the way the background blends with the design of the blog. i like the way you used few colors and it still goes good.
  • Zpoon
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for all the feedback :) I've done some minor adjustments to it now, nothing big (you won't even notice it probably :P)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 17 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers