what is difference between HTTP and HTTPS ?

• rttrade99
  • Born
  • Born
  • rttrade99
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

what is difference between HTTP and HTTPS ?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Https
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Think about a baseball game, then think about how the catcher will flash signs for pitch suggestions to the pitcher using his fingers between his knees. You can think of HTTPS the same way.

If the catcher and pitcher were doing it the way HTTP works, you would have the catcher yelling out "Throw a fast ball right down the middle of the plate !".
  • wpas
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

As far as I am aware for https the Website Uses SSL Certificate.

The term "secure website" is often used for the parts of a website where the data transmitted between a user and the server is encrypted. SSL only means the data in transit is encrypted. It does not actually secure a website, its data, the server or its users. SSL has no ability to protect the information stored on the website once it arrives.
SSL should be used for transfer of private and sensitive data, but that's just one small part of website security.
  • PolishHurricane
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Once upon a time, I found this great graphical metaphor for SSL where there were 2 people, sending a lock box back and forth over a pulley wire, but alas, I can't find the thing. If anybody does, I would be very thankful. I still think the system is flawed though, anything that requires a 3rd party to sign it to be more secure is pretty FAIL in my department. You can self-sign, yeah, but it's less secure from what I've read.
  • Injunction
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nowadays SSL Certificates from trusted providers rather pricey, so https used mostly for business purposes
  • charcoal
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Injunction wrote:
Nowadays SSL Certificates from trusted providers rather pricey, so https used mostly for business purposes

And for securing personal information in such services like email
  • simon123
  • Born
  • Born
  • simon123

Post 3+ Months Ago

HTTPS is just differ from HTTP by the secure means, that's main purpose is to secure the data transmitted between the sender and the receiver. Now a days, SSL is used for this purpose which means "Secure socket layer" that protect the data transmitted between both the parties that want to communicate. HTTPS has a lot of use for this purpose and become popular in the 19th century.
IS there anyone else having similar thoughts as i.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

simon123 wrote:
HTTPS is just differ from HTTP by the secure means, that's main purpose is to secure the data transmitted between the sender and the receiver. Now a days, SSL is used for this purpose which means "Secure socket layer" that protect the data transmitted between both the parties that want to communicate. HTTPS has a lot of use for this purpose and become popular in the 19th century.
IS there anyone else having similar thoughts as i.

I certainly hope nobody else is having similar thoughts. In case you missed it computers weren't even thought of in the 19th century. Today's history lesson class, is: 19th Century == 1801–1900.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

The oldest computer actually dates back about 2000 years ago and is believed to have originated out of Greece. I really doubt they had SSL though ;)

I believe it was mainly used to predict both lunar and solar eclipses.
  • fatale

Post 3+ Months Ago

The answer I found HTTP stands for HyperText Transfer Protocol, which is just a fancy way of saying it's a protocol (a language, in a manner of speaking) for information to be passed back and forth between web servers and clients.

You really don't need to know what it all stands for; the important thing is the letter S which makes the difference between HTTP and HTTPS. The S (big surprise) stands for "Secure". You probably didn't need me to tell you that, because you already knew it had something to do with security.
  • WritingBadCode
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Sweden

Post 3+ Months Ago

Https does two important things I think.

1) Encrypts the communication. (making it hard to sniff passwords and whatever other sensitive stuff the user communicates to the site)

2) Identity verification: More expensive certificates apart from better encryption usually includes a more extended identity verification, to ensure you that the company is what it claims to be to further ensure that your info gets to the right source.

Certificates also has: Guarantees usually ranging from 100 000$ to 500 000$ to cover any losses that may arise if the SSL provider makes something wrong that make your service not working in a correct manner. Also Certificated sites is usually checked harder and if a site host malwares/scams the certificate will go bye bye, this to further improve the trust people should feel when they visit a HTTPs site - unfortunately malwares/scam sites gets hold of SSL certificates now and then so HTTPs is no guarantee that a site is clean.
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

i have at least 2-3 attempts of break in attempts on my server a day so the SSL and super firewall on the server really does help. if you got anything important i suggest pay the little extra and add more security. you can never have enough security with a computer connected to the internet.
  • Click SSL
  • Born
  • Born

Post 3+ Months Ago

HTTPS is the industry standard protocol used for securely transmitting data over the internet, in this case web pages. It addresses the issues with HTTP but at the same time it operates in exactly the same way, apart from the fact that all data is sent encrypted.

When you visit a website with the https:// prefix you are telling the web server that you want to establish a secure communication path. HTTPS will use a different port (number 443) to ensure that all secure and non secure communications are kept separately.
  • elinejoseph85
  • Born
  • Born
  • elinejoseph85
  • Loc: FL, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

HTTPS is the protocol which has been encrypted through SSL certificate. Normally, HTTPS, the standard secured protocol secured web server and web browser connection while transmitting data online through encrypted and decryption algorithm using SSL certificate security.

When user normally visit with http:// then it will be redirected to https:// secured connection, if website having SSL certificate on their server.
  • ptrNode
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: GB

Post 3+ Months Ago

HTTPS (Secure Sockets Layer) means data is encrypted so only the end user and the web server can decipher its contents. It uses port 443 to operate. HTTP is where web documents, meta data and binary are transmitted in its purest form without encryption.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 15 posts