Description only shows footer in Yahoo

• peachy
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Japan

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm a little lost when it comes to yahoo. Out of all the search engines I am doing the worst in Yahoo and when I do a site:mysite.com search the descriptions for my pages are just the footer of the page...nothing relevant at all. Does anyone else have this problem.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• WebFreedom
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • WebFreedom

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi peachy,

I can't say that I've ever experienced the problem you're having. I've always included the description I want displayed in my meta tags, and they've always been picked up by Yahoo!. Are you using the description meta tag? If not, you may want to give it a try, and hopefully it can resolve the issue. :D

HTH,
Sam
  • peachy
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes I was using just a short description but now I'm thinking it needs to be longer. What's the avg. length of a description that wouldn't get me in trouble for spamming with the SE's?
  • WebFreedom
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • WebFreedom

Post 3+ Months Ago

Unfortunately, I don't really have a "number" to throw at you, but hopefully someone else will come along with one. :wink: Absent any additional information, I think you should just write a description that's similiar (in length and in content) to the other descriptions you see in Yahoo's SERPs.

HTH,
Sam
  • Ganceann
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Ganceann

Post 3+ Months Ago

There is no specific ideal amount... but generally 255 characters I think is the cutoff for descriptions in the more popular search engines.

The key and possible only use of description meta tag is that is sould clearly state the content that people would be expected to find on the page - and thereby when they read it, and it is what they are after, they would be more likely to visit your site.

A description that is keyword stuffed I automatically ignore because it doesn't tell me what the content is.

An example of 2 descriptions:

Description 1. Blue widgets, red widgets, big blue widgets, green widgets, pink widgets, purple widgets, widgets, widgets, more widgets.

Description 2. A up to date information centre on all types of widgets currently available online.

I kept the descriptions short as really it is late at night for me and I can't think too clearly but that should give you an indication on which way to go.

Description 1 is generally used by spammers and is more likely to be flagged for keyword stuffing by some search engines.

Description 2 clearly states that it provides current information on all types of widgets and therefore would include blue, red, big blue, green, pink, purple etc - or would say to me that it stands a better chance of providing the information I want to find than the spammed version of description 1.
  • peachy
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

That is some really good advice! I think that I possibly messed up on my description by focusing too much on keywords and leaving out the appeal of the page.
Anyways, I think this is a good guideline to follow and I will begin implementing it on all of my pages.
  • Ganceann
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Ganceann

Post 3+ Months Ago

Another popular way of writing a short description for your description meta tag is simply having the same first sentence that appears on your page.

That way, especially in a static page, if a person does come after reading the description ( if it made sense, by not being cut short by search engines), then they would easily be able to continue reading on from where the search engine had ended after the first sentence.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts