Difference between Yahoo and Google SEO techniques?

• ablaye
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • ablaye

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

I have a website that gets a decent ranking for some keywords on Google.
However, when I perform the same search on Yahoo, my website is nowhere to be found.

My website is listed both on Google (obviously) and Yahoo. However, I have no clue why I don't get a decent ranking on Yahoo.

Are there different optimization techniques for Google and Yahoo?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• sezerb
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • sezerb

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would say Google focuses more on off-page optimization such as backlinks whereas Yahoo is more focused on on-page optimization such as keyword density, H1 tages etc...
  • vistadivine.com
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • vistadivine.com
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

But one thing commong between them or any other search engine is that they all like incoming links.

Akash
  • tokyowalker
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • tokyowalker

Post 3+ Months Ago

something to add ..google is more severe concerning blackhats than yahoo.. i know many sites that got banned from gooogle but still apearing on yahoo
  • rohoni
  • rohoni

Post 3+ Months Ago

Google
Google is a search engine that makes heavy use of link popularity as a primary way to rank web sites.
This can be especially helpful in finding good sites in response to general searches such as "cars" and "travel," because users across the web have in essence voted for good sites by linking to them. The system works so well that Google has gained wide-spread praise for its high relevancy. Google also has a huge index of the web and provides some results to Yahoo and Netscape Search.

Yahoo

Yahoo is the web's most popular search service and has a well-deserved reputation for helping people find information easily. The secret to Yahoo's success is human beings.
It is the largest human-compiled guide to the web, employing about 150 editors in an effort to categorize the web. Yahoo has over 1 million sites listed. Yahoo also supplements its results with those from Google (Google took over from Inktomi in July 2000). If a search fails to find a match within Yahoo's own listings, then matches from Google are displayed. Google matches also appear after all Yahoo matches have first been shown. Yahoo is the oldest major web site directory, having launched in late 1994.
  • Millsons Leather
  • Student
  • Student
  • Millsons Leather
  • Loc: Uganda

Post 3+ Months Ago

I too have the same problem but its the reverse type with my website http://www.katikatiafrica.com/

when i check the ranking of the keywords conference Uganda which i have been targeting ranks on the top in Yahoo but too far in google.

why so ? is google having some problem with my site ?

There is one more problem of displaying BACKLINKS of my website http://www.millsonsleather.com On checking backlinks to that site in Yahoo it shows more than 200 backlinks whereas in Google it shows "ZERO".

why so ?

i have done directory and se submission and sitemaps and much more.

Yahoo is cool with me but GOOGLE "not".

Puneet M
  • bermuda
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • bermuda

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yahoo, especially since the latest update has shown to be really interested in links as well as on page factors.
  • Lebvision.com
  • Born
  • Born
  • Lebvision.com
  • Loc: Lebanon

Post 3+ Months Ago

true yahoo search engines differs from google one each seach engine uses its own algorithm
  • markov
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • markov

Post 3+ Months Ago

Google doesn't tolerate high keyword density. It bans. However its different with yahoo.
  • good guy
  • good guy

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have more experience with google and my friends too and if you stick to the rules google will tolerate you but only little mistake and ban, I heard that with Yahoo is different story they are very tolerate and very often over the rules and that is good, but everything have their advances and missadvances.
  • alias8700
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • alias8700

Post 3+ Months Ago

Checking backlink with link: queries in google won't really show the correct amount of backlinks you have. I get the feeling that google only lists links above a certain PR where as msn seems to show almost all on the same query.

I'm not saying that google don't take all links into calculations but maybe they don't store all backlinks in the index.
  • nameslot
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yahoo highly depends on the site itself.
The content in it. And the structure of the site.

Google on the other hand puts weight on the backlinks along with the above mentioned yahoo points.
  • lakelandprinting
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • lakelandprinting
  • Loc: Lakeland, Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Millsons Leather wrote:
I too have the same problem but its the reverse type with my website http://www.katikatiafrica.com/

when i check the ranking of the keywords conference Uganda which i have been targeting ranks on the top in Yahoo but too far in google.

There is one more problem of displaying BACKLINKS of my website http://www.millsonsleather.com On checking backlinks to that site in Yahoo it shows more than 200 backlinks whereas in Google it shows "ZERO".

why so ?

Puneet M

Google like to keep their backlinks a secret now. If you do my website http://www.lakeland-printing.com you will see that I have "zero". But if I log onto Google Webmaster Tools they tell me (in secret) that I have 35. I highly recommend the Google Tools.
  • lajocar
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: South Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

There is not a huge difference.

Google focus a lot on backlinks and Yahoo on page SEO
  • sakthi_ganesh
  • Born
  • Born
  • sakthi_ganesh
  • Loc: chennai

Post 3+ Months Ago

These is beacuse of the way, the crawlers indexes the pages.The working principle is almost same in these two major (Google and Yahoo) search engines.

But the algrothims are programmed differently in these two Engines .So each of these search engines are have their diff way of look for indexing.

But Keyword denisity and backlinks are the most important and common factors.

Choosing the relevant keywords and getting more back links will give you the expected results.overture is the best tool for choosing rich keyword.

Sometimes there will be the possiblity that the no of backlinks got by particular site can be diff viewed in these two search engines.

For E.g

Some one got 100 backlinks in google

But in the case of yahoo they got only 60

this is beacuse of, the sites from u have got the backlinks have diff indexed by these two search engines.Some backlink providers have frequently indexed in google but not in the case of yahoo.

You can find more information at

http://howtogettrafficonblogs.blogspot.com/

other wise you can feel free contact my mail id

howtogettrafficonblogs@yahoo.co.in
  • treenet
  • Born
  • Born
  • treenet

Post 3+ Months Ago

lakelandprinting wrote:
Millsons Leather wrote:

why so ?

Puneet M

Google like to keep their backlinks a secret now. If you do my website http://www.lakeland-printing.com you will see that I have "zero". But if I log onto Google Webmaster Tools they tell me (in secret) that I have 35. I highly recommend the Google Tools.

Hi, I have the same problem on http://www.partynight.it .

After 2 years of promotion (i'm sure i have now thousands of backlinks :) ), about 100.000 pages on index, thousand of people linking back, google still show zero backlinks and a PR 3.. :cry:

Different situation about backlinks on http://www.treenet.it , which is currently PR5 :D, but sometimes counts about 4000 links and sometimes zero backlink :shock:

Maybe sites with PR less than 3 are not relevant for backlinks also for google.
  • zhaira
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • zhaira

Post 3+ Months Ago

google and yahoo algorithm have different techniques off-page is for google and on-page for yahoo.

Google:
- Backlinks from high pagerank pages.
- Backlinks from pages with less than 20 other links.
- Link only trusted sites.
- Good anchor text.
- One-way links.
- Good sitemap.
- Unique contest.
- Update your site.

Yahoo:
-Meta tags match contest.
- Work on keywords
- Backlinks from homepage better.
- Good anchor text.
- Yahoo directory listing
- How long website online
- Place keywords top of the page
  • potchie
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • potchie

Post 3+ Months Ago

any one,, who know exactly yahoo algo?
  • weblaunchphxx
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

potchie wrote:

Only quality back links will help you to rank in all search engines.
You may submite your site in yahoo directories for better SERPs at yahoo.
  • coolslko
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • coolslko

Post 3+ Months Ago

vistadivine.com wrote:
But one thing commong between them or any other search engine is that they all like incoming links.

Akash

Ya really, both like incoming links but google is so strict in terms of relevancy and quality of incoming links and shows only most relevant links as backlinks of a site unlike yahoo that shows most of all links available for a site on the web.

and also anchor text of a incoming links is also important factor for ranking in google.
  • zhaira
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • zhaira

Post 3+ Months Ago

The exact algorithm is on the use of keywords and page content.

potchie wrote:
  • weblaunchphxx
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

zhaira wrote:
The exact algorithm is on the use of keywords and page content.

potchie wrote:

You are right zhaira content is the main factor for ranking cause without content you cann't imagine any natural back links for your site.
  • wong_udik
  • wong_udik
  • Loc: Indonesia

Post 3+ Months Ago

i think google search is more aggresive than yahoo search, especially new page
  • coolslko
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • coolslko

Post 3+ Months Ago

wong_udik wrote:
i think google search is more aggresive than yahoo search, especially new page

Well..........what do you mean by google search is more aggresive than yahoo search?

Google is most preferable darch engine worldwide beacuse of its relevancy and accuracy for a search query and also for its other products or services.......
  • erikko
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • erikko

Post 3+ Months Ago

as i observed, Google is also using content not only backlinks as their basis in ranking sites
  • potchie
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • potchie

Post 3+ Months Ago

i believe if you rank on google, sooner you get also with yahoo..
  • erikko
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • erikko

Post 3+ Months Ago

potchie wrote:
i believe if you rank on google, sooner you get also with yahoo..

i also believe that and as far as i know blogs first get its rank on Google and Yahoo or MSN follows. I tried it on my first blog and after few months, i got a good ranking on Yahoo
  • aira
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • aira

Post 3+ Months Ago

Google appears to favor off-page factors while Yahoo is more on the on-page.. however, quality content, ideal and related anchor texts and relevancy of the links are the factors that appeals to them the most
  • jcwilde1
  • jcwilde1

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have always had quick results with Yahoo but with Google it has taken way more time. It also seems harder on new sites with Google compared to Yahoo.
  • x3mario
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • x3mario

Post 3+ Months Ago

ablaye wrote:
Hi,

I have a website that gets a decent ranking for some keywords on Google.
However, when I perform the same search on Yahoo, my website is nowhere to be found.

My website is listed both on Google (obviously) and Yahoo. However, I have no clue why I don't get a decent ranking on Yahoo.

Are there different optimization techniques for Google and Yahoo?

This because they are using different algorithm. Google is more on backlinks while yahoo is more on content.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 31 posts