MS offering to buy out Yahoo

• kbergmann
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just read this article on ZDNet and it made me think. I have two yahoo accounts and yahoo messenger and this really makes me want to get rid of them ASAP. I do not like to use any MS based email or Applications if I can help it (besides Office as it seems to be a universal format).

I was curious what people thought about the potential for this if it would help / hurt the search engine, compete more with google, etc... It seems as is MS wants to obtain all they can to dominate the entire industry. As it stands they have a lock on PCs, software, vehicles more and more, and now they could potentially add searching to their list.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't like Yahoo anyway so I don't care if MS buys them. If they were trying to buy google, then I would be concerned.
  • kbergmann
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am not a fan of Yahoo but it give MS more power that they don't need .... I use them for junk mail and stuff i don't wanna see on a daily basis.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Did MS gain any power when they bought Hotmail?
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Baker City, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just checked the stocks, as of now, yahoo's is up 8 points
  • dyefade
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

When they bought hotmail they suddenly had a useful Webmail/POP system. MSN had been tiny (and disliked) up until that point, read an interview with the Hotmail founder recently, interesting-ish.

I'm a moderate flickr, and heavy del.icio.us user, what will happen to them? And can anyone recommend alternatives? What will happen to YUI?
If I were the founder of Flickr or del.icio.us I'd be so angry - part of their deals was that they'd be reun independently, and it works really well. Pretty such MS are going to ruin everything. Gah!
  • kbergmann
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use flickr alot as welll ... not like it matters as it will just kill all my myspace comments to people, but I also use it for posting images I want as my desktop and photo sharing ... Guess I got a plan for the weekend ...
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

This would mean the majority of spam would be comming from one set of servers instead of two, right ?
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don2007 wrote:
I don't like Yahoo anyway so I don't care if MS buys them. If they were trying to buy google, then I would be concerned.

Took the words right out of my mouth! :D
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned
  • Loc: Behind you !

Post 3+ Months Ago

Google would never sell to microsoft anyway, But as for them buying yahoo it does not bother me, Yahoo In my eyes are going down hill.
  • Breeze
  • Photographer
  • Guru
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

To me it spells that Microsoft is concerned about losing their grip on the industry, and they want to get back in the game again by broadening their portfolio. Personally I don't want the takeover to go ahead - Though I'd have a lot more to say if they were looking at google.
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wouldnt be worried If they looked at google, Becuase google would never sell to MS, And If they did google would never sell to them, Unless over night google became bankrupt, Which will never happen :P
  • dyefade
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2008/02/ ... ernet.html

Google are not happy.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

If google had any brains, they would have tried to get Yahoo first. Both google and MS have a large amounts of accumulated capital and not a large amount of reinvestment opportunities. That is not unusual in a capitalist society especially when there is underconsumption as there is now.

So, we have one capitalist complaining that the other capitalist beat them to the punch. Well, too bad. That's the way it goes. Maybe google should make an offer of their own. They certainly have the money.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wouldn't have thought Google could buy Yahoo, given then they would have a hold over the market share...
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

They wouldn't own more than the market share of search engines. I can name 5 or 6 of them off the top of my head. Google just missed the boat.
  • kbergmann
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Google is retaliating ... going to policy makers and reaching out to yahoo, as MS would potentially monopolize the internet with this purchase ... this will prove to be interesting.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't see how they would monopolize the internet at all. Nothing I do on the net has anything to do with Yahoo and never will. Not only that, anyone who doesn't like the idea of the purchase can boycott Yahoo.
  • dyefade
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don2007 wrote:
I don't see how they would monopolize the internet at all. Nothing I do on the net has anything to do with Yahoo and never will. Not only that, anyone who doesn't like the idea of the purchase can boycott Yahoo.

Yeah, I intend to. But that's going to be quite difficult, there is NOTHING to replace flickr (yes, there are photo-sharing sites, but none with the same community feel), I've got my memory of the net stored in del.icio.us, I still use their mail occasionally etc.
On top of this, what about all of Yahoo!'s contributions to open source projects? Their Wikipedia donations? Their OpenID project? YUI?
This is not just about search, and MS know it. Everything I've said above has alternatives, but this just reduces the level of competition available. Yahoo were active (often leader of) in many areas.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

I didn't know that Yahoo made contributions to open source. Am I correct in guessing that there will be no more of those?
  • dyefade
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/wha ... buys-yahoo

Good (if vague) summary of the open source prospects. Apart from their own developer portal (which includes loads of stuff) they've apparently contributed to: "PHP, FreeBSD, Squid, gSOAP, Hadoop", not to mention that they own Zimbra.
  • kbergmann
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://news.wired.com/dynamic/stories/M/MICROSOFT_YAHOO_CLASH?SITE=WIRE&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2008-02-04-09-05-46

:-/ ... They are apparently fairly close companies ... But the anti-trust must sign off on it before Yahoo would be added to M$ even if Yahoo sold out. So there might be a chance?
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

dyefade: Vague is an understatement, so I searched a little further to see exactly what they have done for the open source world.
They have released two libraries for public use under the BSD license.
http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/2006/ ... d_des.html

As far as PHP goes, they just decided to use it instead of using their proprietary scripting language. I see that as a book decision to save money, not as a contribution.

I'm not knocking Yahoo for that. I'm just trying to find the facts.

kbergmann: The AP article that appeared on wired really didn't tell me anything but that's AP for you. I was never a fan of AP anyway.
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

Should be intresting to see what happens to people who are hosted with yahoo, I would put money on it that MS up the prices of hosting :P
  • dyefade
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Trust you to think of the hosting... how much of Yahoo's business is related to hosting anyway?
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol someone had to think of it :P A lot of people have hosting with yahoo. Im just looking forward to seeing how much downtime there will be :P
  • kbergmann
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

As far as downtime goes, prollie about the same (if they don't change it at all and can fix it as effeciently)

If they alter it, I'd get a new host if I had a page with them ... :)
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Let's not forget Yahoos' recent platnum sponsorship of Apache.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, that's saying something for Yahoo.

On another note, there is something I just learned. It's not the first offer MS made. The attempted to buy Yahoo when Yahoo had another CEO. That CEO rejected the offer by MS.

I want to go back to something I said before. Google blew it by not trying to buy Yahoo themselves and if the deal is completed, it's too bad for google. They were asleep at the wheel.
  • dyefade
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20 ... nohoo.html

Hurray!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 59 posts