Question about Yahoo directory & SE

• poshgirl
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • poshgirl
  • Loc: calif

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi again!

I need to clarify somthing. Is the Yahoo directory different than the yahoo search engine?

Is it worth the $300 to be in the directory? I am considering paying it if it is a good idea.
Thanx
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• boohlick
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

poshgirl wrote:
Hi again!

I need to clarify somthing. Is the Yahoo directory different than the yahoo search engine?

Is it worth the $300 to be in the directory? I am considering paying it if it is a good idea.
Thanx

You can be indexed in yahoo even if you are not listed in their direcrtory..
Make use of your RSS.. if you have. and added it to your My Yahoo account.. make sure you have a link that points to your site
  • poshgirl
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • poshgirl

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,
thank you for the advice but it didnt answer my question about if they are different and if it is worth the money to be listed.

What exactly do you mean RSS and how is it goin gto effect my site?
  • boohlick
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

poshgirl wrote:
Hi,
thank you for the advice but it didnt answer my question about if they are different and if it is worth the money to be listed.

What exactly do you mean RSS and how is it goin gto effect my site?

Its good to listed. the reason why you want to listed is fo r yahoo to crawl and indexed you.. but why to pay.. when you can be crawled and indexed without paying 300 bucks.. 8)

About rss just read this http://www.geckotribe.com/seo/rss-for-seo.php
8) 8)
  • Jess
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok lets put this into perspective because I have no idea how what the rest of you guys are saying replies to the initial question.

http://dir.yahoo.com/

http://search.yahoo.com/

Those two links show how yahoo directory and search are very different.

I have lots of sites within the search results even though I have never paid to be in the directory.

The benefits of being in the directory are basically a link from a high profile web site .... thats it.

It doesn't help you rank better in the yahoo search engine to be in the directory ....

So the question you need to ask is ... is it worth the money for a single link?

In my eyes no it's not, yahoo directory isn't half as powerfull as it used to be, however I know a lot of SEO's that would disagree with me. It's really personal choice :)
  • SoDriven
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • SoDriven
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

Poshgrl,
To expand on Jess' comments. It's not neccessary to pay the $300. You can take those same $300 and pay an SEO to get you alot of one way backlinks for the same price. I know of a company that will charge about $18 for one way links from site with a pagerank of 5. It's about $14 for a site with a pagerank of 4. That's pretty reasonable for a one way link.

One way links are alot more important now because I believe Google is implementing a dampening filter for sites that are getting alot of inbound links all at one time.

Oh by the way. That's how you can get into Yahoo from the backend. By getting linked from other sites that are already in yahoo, the bots will come to your site and then index you to. Backlinks are just another way of providing another outlet for SEs to spider your site.

I hope that helps.
  • SoDriven
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • SoDriven
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

And by the way, I clicked on your vintage website hyperlink. It takes me to a splash site. That's not good from an SEO perspective. You default page should take you to the homepage of your site. And even with the homepage of your site, I notice that the webcopy isn't SEO friendly either. You're not making great use of H1 header tags, all in anchor text, etc....
  • csao
  • Born
  • Born
  • csao

Post 3+ Months Ago

$300 !?!?!? You can get in all these engines by generating it yourself to be totally honest...

http://nerdlib.com/

They have trial version..
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have to disagree with everyone. I find it very useful to get in Yahoo's directory. Not only does it give you some decent PR (yes, you can get it elsewhere for even less money or none at all), but your Yahoo directory listing can be displayed in Yahoo's search engine itself.

Few Examples:

For Sologig
http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=freela ... =&ei=UTF-8

Another exmaple of a search where all listings on the first page have Yahoo Directory listings
http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=wine+c ... fl=0&x=wrt
http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=chicag ... fl=0&x=wrt

I would take a look at some of your main phrases and see if the competitors that show up have Yahoo Directory listings and if those listings show up in Yahoo search engine.

I do agree with Jess, it is personal choice and I always recommend it to my clients.
  • poshgirl
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • poshgirl

Post 3+ Months Ago

I will look into that on my competitors. Thanx for the advice
  • DavyDuke17
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • DavyDuke17

Post 3+ Months Ago

Having your site in the yahoo directory comes with benefits though although its definetely not necessary to rank well in search engines. However, if you have the yahoo directory link along with a bunch of other directories your site should probably be ranking really high. So if you are competing for a really competitive search term and you should really think about it.

I know you can submit to the directory for free although they say it takes forever, has anyone been here been added using the free submission? Looking through the directory it seems like some of these sites are bad enough that it doesn't seem like they would pay $300 to get listed.
  • jlknauff
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

poshgirl wrote:

Is it worth the $300 to be in the directory? I am considering paying it if it is a good idea

Yes, and yes.
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Is it worth the $300 to be in the directory? I am considering paying it if it is a good idea

depends on how important your site is.
product sites would be good. cuz you can make money out of it.

I wouldnt spend 300 usd on my not so important sites.. :evil:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts