SEO for Yahoo

• Carleone
  • Born
  • Born
  • Carleone

Post 3+ Months Ago

Given that their share of search is so small is it worth doing anything to my site to optimise for Yahoo?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

It may be small, but still your missing out on a good portion of visitors. To help, I would submit your site to the Yahoo Directory.
  • lakelandprinting
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • lakelandprinting
  • Loc: Lakeland, Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, but the directory is 300.00 a year! I think it's criminal, but I joined. Yahoo was the last serp to deep crawl my new site, and I thinks it's because I uploaded a sitemap to them, then bang!
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Maybe $299.00 per year, but 50% of my sites jump to page 1 in Yahoo for their main terms after I add them. This is because Yahoo uses Yahoo Directory listings in it's search results.
  • rishimodi1
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

I didn't knew that adding to yahoo directory can get you on page one. I would like to hear more about it.

Regards
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

lakelandprinting wrote:
Yeah, but the directory is 300.00 a year! I think it's criminal, but I joined. Yahoo was the last serp to deep crawl my new site, and I thinks it's because I uploaded a sitemap to them, then bang!

$300. is extremely cheap for advertising, which is essentially what you are doing. If traffic is important to you then $300 is a no-brainer.

You can still get listed with Yahoo for free and they'll still index you just fine. However if you want superior placement, then Veto's suggestion is the one to follow.

Truthfully as far as optimizing for Yahoo, really can anyone seriously distinguish the difference between optimizing for one search engine or another. My philosophy is optimize your site period and all engines should pick up on it. Placement may vary depending on particular algorithms etc, but they all should be relatively close. At least that approach has worked for me. I did not optimize my forum for any one particular search engine. But if you look up my primary keywords (boasting rights) - which on the surface are two extremely generic terms, my site is listed as number one result on Google, Yahoo, MSN, ask.com, altavista, lycos and who knows how many others. I did not at one point consider optimizing those two keywords for any single search engine. Nor have I paid for any listing anywhere.
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
lakelandprinting wrote:

$300. is extremely cheap for advertising, which is essentially what you are doing. If traffic is important to you then $300 is a no-brainer.

You can still get listed with Yahoo for free and they'll still index you just fine. However if you want superior placement, then Veto's suggestion is the one to follow.

Truthfully as far as optimizing for Yahoo, really can anyone seriously distinguish the difference between optimizing for one search engine or another. My philosophy is optimize your site period and all engines should pick up on it. Placement may vary depending on particular algorithms etc, but they all should be relatively close. At least that approach has worked for me. I did not optimize my forum for any one particular search engine. But if you look up my primary keywords (boasting rights) - which on the surface are two extremely generic terms, my site is listed as number one result on Google, Yahoo, MSN, ask.com, altavista, lycos and who knows how many others. I did not at one point consider optimizing those two keywords for any single search engine. Nor have I paid for any listing anywhere.

Agreed...you really cannot optimize for one or another. But for Yahoo, I have seen it time and time again, I get my client's in the Yahoo directory with a good title and keyword rich description, I will get to page one with that listing in the search.

Same with DMOZ. The sooner I get my clients into DMOZ, the faster I move up in positioning for competitive terms.
  • shandaman
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • shandaman

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, since google is hardest to SEO for, if you just worry about ranking well in google, yahoo msn and ask and the small search engines take care of themselfs. Yahoo is quite easy to get top ranking in any term.
  • tiekie
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • tiekie

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is it a guarantee that my website will be at least in the first two
pages in yahoo after i submit my website to their directory?
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nope.
  • Jaddy
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Jaddy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, the submission of your site to the directory would somehow help; but it would depend on the keywords o the people who are searching at yahoo.

Just wanna try if ever; then check for the result. If having a positive result, then good, if not then no more submission on the directory. That`s it.

Have a good choice. Plan ahead for your site.
  • nameslot
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you think you can then it is worth doing.

Even that smaller share can get you loads of traffic.
  • tiekie
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • tiekie

Post 3+ Months Ago

I asked around on other forums about this topic and a couple of people who did submit their websites to yahoo.dir didnt really see any results.

They all recomend that i rather invest that $299 and buy loads of good
PR links which sounds better in a way
  • john5269
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • john5269

Post 3+ Months Ago

Getting you site listed in Yahoo Directory will probably help your site out a little in ranking, but it's only a very little. At the end of the day Yahoo is in competition with Google and MSN and by allowing all of their web directory submission sites to be ranked on the 1st and 2nd pages of their results will not provide Yahoo with the best results and will make them fail.
  • lajocar
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: South Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

shandaman wrote:
Well, since google is hardest to SEO for, if you just worry about ranking well in google, yahoo msn and ask and the small search engines take care of themselfs. Yahoo is quite easy to get top ranking in any term.

I beg to differ. Google is the easiest to rank high for.

I have lots of websites and most of them rank high in Google SERPs
  • john5269
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • john5269

Post 3+ Months Ago

Google has the most traffic, has billions of pages within their search results and have has more people competing against each other making it harder to rank. But for some reason, I agree with lajocar. I seem to rank easier in Google than MSN and Yahoo.
  • drewski
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • drewski

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for all of the information everyone, I am trying to learn some new things and then new information is much appreciated.
  • drewski
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • drewski

Post 3+ Months Ago

How come my keyword searches come up better on yahoo then on google, is it because of popularity of search engines or what?
  • lajocar
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

My keywords rank higher than competitors that are listed in Yahoo directory, but it will not do any harm putting your site in Yahoo directory.
  • drewski
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • drewski

Post 3+ Months Ago

how come if google is so hard to get on and yahoo normally isn't so hard, why im on googles first pages and not on many of yahoos at all.
  • janim
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • janim

Post 3+ Months Ago

how can i submit sitemap to yahoo
  • lajocar
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

drewski wrote:
how come if google is so hard to get on and yahoo normally isn't so hard, why im on googles first pages and not on many of yahoos at all.

It depends on your onpage seo, links, keywords, unique content

I have sites that rank in the top 10 for Google, Yahoo and MSN
  • recep
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • recep
  • Loc: www.loanus.info

Post 3+ Months Ago

yahoo is very expensive ppc advertisement alternative from my point of wiew. thanks.
  • zhaira
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • zhaira

Post 3+ Months Ago

To optimize site in Yahoo is to
*include many keywords in your domain name
* use meta tags wisely with title, description and keywords
*utilize keywords in the body of your site
* include sitemap
* pay attention to the link exchange of your site
* content of your site
  • Steven D
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Steven D

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you dont list in the yahoo directory, and you just do the free submission, and then give them a sitemap, will they index more than just the one page that you initially send them.

I mean, they charge you like $50 to add 5 urls, but if you just wait patiently will they automatically index them all.

I have one page on my site, that displays all the data for a given result, so I could only list that page with 5 sets of query data but I want them to pick up the hundreds of pages of info I am adding to it.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 25 posts