Yahoo Directory - is it Worth it?

• nxb22833
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • nxb22833

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a commercial site that falls in and out of yahoo SERPS. It is not listed on the yahoo directory. Will it be worth it to pay the $299/annually?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• nickybangkok
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Bangkok

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good question.
I want to know the answer as well. Anybody please???
  • Greatone
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Greatone

Post 3+ Months Ago

if your website is still new then paying $299 to yahoo is a good thing to do.
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I dont think you will get a ROI for years and years IMO.
  • webyourbusiness
  • Student
  • Student
  • webyourbusiness

Post 3+ Months Ago

didn't you post the same question in SitePoint forums?

my response there is the same...

Quote:
I haven't tried it in at least 5 years - it wasn't worth it then, and I think the Yahoo! directory market share is greatly diminished since...

just my 2c...
  • reaper
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: europe

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree with webyourbusiness...this is totally noth worth it, do your own submissions on a regularly basis and do your own optimalization.

Promote your business more and hopefully things will pick up for you but don't think by paying such an absurd amount of money would result in better serps.

Don't do it 8)
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

reaper wrote:
don't think by paying such an absurd amount of money would result in better serps.

Hahah yes very true... you will notice that there is tracking link attached to all the URL's so you will not get the backlink.
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

It can be worth it. Do a search in Yahoo for all your top keywords. Are any of the listings on the first page directory listiings? If so, than it is well worth it. I have many clients that are on page one, and it is their Yahoo Directory listing that it there.

Example:
http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=scrubs ... =&ei=UTF-8

Six out the first 10 listings are Yahoo Directory listings. Tells you something...
  • webyourbusiness
  • Student
  • Student
  • webyourbusiness

Post 3+ Months Ago

vetofunk wrote:
It can be worth it. Do a search in Yahoo for all your top keywords. Are any of the listings on the first page directory listiings? If so, than it is well worth it. I have many clients that are on page one, and it is their Yahoo Directory listing that it there.

Example:

Six out the first 10 listings are Yahoo Directory listings. Tells you something...

it varies from search to search:

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=nod32+ ... fl=0&x=wrt

none of the top results are directory results I think...
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

webyourbusiness wrote:
vetofunk wrote:

Example:

it varies from search to search:

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=nod32+ ... fl=0&x=wrt

none of the top results are directory results I think...

Yes, it varies, thats why I said:

Do a search in Yahoo for all your top keywords. Are any of the listings on the first page directory listiings? If so, than it is well worth it.
  • ramone_johnny
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • ramone_johnny
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Enough speculation - Ill be able to tell you all within a few weeks hopefully. Ive just paid the $495 AUD and submitted with Yahoo Directory.

My site is http://www.egaragesales.com.au and for a general keyword search within google its currently coming in at page 7.

Lets see if it moves any over the next few weeks.

RJ
  • nxb22833
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • nxb22833

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ramone,

This is what I looking for/ I will be waiting for your reply.
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

nxb22833,
I wouldn't rely on Ramone's conclusion as yours will be different, as you are in a different industry. You need to take a look at the serps in Yahoo for your key phrases and see if directory listings are showing up or regular serp listings.
  • ramone_johnny
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • ramone_johnny

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well what can I say?

Very impressed with just how quickly this went through. I submitted my site via the express method last Friday night and the site was listed yesterday (wednesday) - less than 5 days.

It is listed first page within a keyword search for "garage sales"

http://search.yahoo.com/search/dir?p=ga ... =&ei=UTF-8

Number 10. Not bad...

Ill give it some time to see if it improves my positioning withing Google. Im number 3 within yahoo.com for "garage sales"

http://au.search.yahoo.com/search?p=garage+sales&meta=

Number 1 first page yahoo.com.au

http://au.search.yahoo.com/search?p=gar ... DcountryAU

But still page 7 for Google. Stay tuned Ill be watching it closely over the next few weeks to see if it improves.

THEN we will have a better indication, rather than just guesswork.

RJ
  • phaugh
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

ramone_johnny..what was you position before you paid for yahoo inclusion?

Did the submisson improve your ranks or just make them more consistent/stable?

I have a new site that yahoo just won't rank very high. It's #3 in google and #1 in msn and #224 in yahoo :(
  • ramone_johnny
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • ramone_johnny

Post 3+ Months Ago

phaugh wrote:
ramone_johnny..what was you position before you paid for yahoo inclusion?

Did the submisson improve your ranks or just make them more consistent/stable?

I have a new site that yahoo just won't rank very high. It's #3 in google and #1 in msn and #224 in yahoo :(

My position hasnt changed in yahoo. My intention was to hopefully improve my positioning within the Google SERPS. Now I know youre all probably wondering .."huh, you want to improve your position with google and you register with yahoo?"

I did a little bit of investigating. Nothing fancy. Just ran up a few keyword searches within both yahoo and google for "garage sales" The comparisons were interesting.

The yahoo directory listing and google search were very similiar.

I had the money - so I gave it a shot. Now its just a matter of seeing whether there is a relationship between yahoo directory and google.

Obviously it cant hurt any.

About 75% of my traffic comes from yahoo, and Im getting approximately 30 ads a week. Only a small amount - probably 5% of my traffic is coming from google which is something i desperately want to improve on.

Hope this helps.

RJ
  • ramone_johnny
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • ramone_johnny

Post 3+ Months Ago

HI guys,
Well its been some time now since I went ahead with this and I just thought I would recap on the subject.

Since listing my site within yahoo directory my page ranking has infact dropped (not immediately) from an initial PR of 3 to now 2.

My rankings within MSN and Yahoo are identical to that of what they were before listing on yahoo directory.

As for Goolge, well what can I say? My site is still ranking inconsintantly for the same keywords - between pages 6 to 11.

So in response to the original question....

Is it worth listing in yahoo directory?

My initial response would indeed be no, however there still may be a number of other issues that may indirectly affect the PR of my site.

However, for those thinking that being listed within yahoo directory will provide a quick and easy way of improving your PR - think again, as this is certainly not the case.

RJ
  • aboyd
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ramone,

Although it's been 3 weeks, I just wanted to thank you for the follow-up, since nobody else did. You provided good info, and it helped me to determine the worth of paid directory listings in Yahoo. So, thanks.

-Tony
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

It still all depends on the industry. I will continue to highly recommend being included in the Yahoo Directory, but not for PR, and not for increased positioning in Google, but inclusion and positioning for Yahoo Search.
  • ForwardGraphics
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Panama City Beach, Fl

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you Ramone for your update!
I have a new client with an existing website that has never been marketed before. It is a real estate company in Panama City Beach using highly competitive keywords. I was able to get them on the first page in MSN within a week, however, they aren't showing up in Yahoo or Google yet. I think I'm going to do the Yahoo directory for the reasons that Veto has given.

Within the Yahoo directory, there are only a couple of Realtors in this market that pay for inclusion. Of them, at least one is ranking high in the SERPS. (Yahoo)

I've always done everything organically and never paid for inclusion but I'm going to give this a try.

I'll post any results 8)

Staci
  • southerngurl
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • southerngurl
  • Loc: Arkansas

Post 3+ Months Ago

How does google decide the order in which it's listings are in a category? If I were to put my site in the directory, would it be at the of it's category?
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Are you talking Google or Yahoo? Google's is by Pagerank and Yahoo's is usually first come first serve.
  • southerngurl
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • southerngurl

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yahoo's Directory.
  • southerngurl
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • southerngurl

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oops, I had meant to say Yahoo's directory, not googles. :oops:
  • ramone_johnny
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • ramone_johnny

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow, this is an old thread!

Brought back some memories reading over this, thats for sure.

Its been over 3 years since lising in Yahoo Directory, and whilst I cant be certain it helped me, I do know now that Ive been number one first page in Google for the past 2 or so years.

How time flies aye?

John

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 25 posts