Yahoo drops site from its index

• gemini
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Myrtle Beach, SC

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just heard the news. Notices that my worst competitor vanished from Yahoo and MSN - though it has 8K links and higher PR.

here are a few links on the subject:
http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum35/1950.htm
http://www.webproworld.com/viewtopic.php?t=15837
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• gemini
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here is one of the messages from webmasterworld.com

Quote:
My site shows similar symptoms to others who have posted here. I emailed webmasterworldfeedback at yahoo a couple weeks ago and got this reply 5 days later:
"There is currently a judgment against [your site]. Judgments are based upon both automated and editorial criteria, and are designed to improve the quality of the experience that Yahoo! provides to its search users. While we cannot comment on particular reasons for an individual judgment, please check our Content Policy Guidelines at: http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/ysearch/d ... ns-05.html to make sure that your site complies. Also, below are some answers to common questions regarding this issue:

Q: What are some of the common reasons for a site judgment?

A: Yahoo!’s Content Policy Guidelines (link above) outline what we are and are not looking for in pages that we index. Listed below are some of the more common reasons that a site may violate these guidelines:

Cloaking (showing substantially different content to crawlers than to users)

Massive domain interlinking

Use of affiliate programs without the addition of substantial unique content

Use of reciprocal link programs (aka “link farms”)

Hidden text

Excessive keyword repetition, repetition of keywords, keywords repeating

Q: If my site has a judgment against it, can I use the SiteMatch inclusion program?

A: All pages submitted to SiteMatch are editorially reviewed. If a site has a judgment against it, it is likely to be rejected by the SiteMatch program.

Q: If my site has a judgment against it, can I use the Yahoo! Express directory inclusion program?

A: Yes, the Yahoo! Directory and Yahoo! Search Index are different systems. Inclusion or exclusion from one does not effect[sic] the other."

My website isn't guilty of any of the listed sins, so I replied to (politely!) point this out.

I'm still waiting to hear back.

I suspect that Yahoo will be in no hurry to address judgement issues until it has in place a pay-for-review program whereby it can make money from the process. It is also interesting that judgements imply a "likely" exclusion from SiteMatch, but no such outcome with the (editorially reviewed) Yahoo Express directory inclusion program. The above comments really make no sense, unless the judgements are just a carryover from Inktomi.

• gemini
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here is another thread - pretty long.

http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum35/1845.htm
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow..nice find. I knew that Yahoo had an editorial review, but Ive never heard of anyone not getting in. I kind of do like that though...that means no more spammy sites getting into Yahoo/MSN, well the paid way, anyway.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yahoo wrote:
Excessive keyword repetition, repetition of keywords, keywords repeating

Pot, Kettle, Black ;)

Quite ironic the way they worded that ;)
  • gemini
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I do worry about

Quote:
Use of reciprocal link programs

it's not like I'm all over link farms and FFA, but I did regular link exchange campaigns with relative sites. I also have pretty good site with around 2000 pages. My links all categorized and themed - all related to our industry. Hope I won't get banned.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Personally, it won't bother me in the slightest if Yahoo removes me from their listings... If they are now pulling from Inktomi, then Inktomi knows of 14,000 URLs on my site (as opposed to the 4,000 that Google knows about) and Yahoo brings me no traffic in comparison.

Google refers more people to my site, than every other external link (including other search engines) combined.
  • gemini
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

well, we're #1 on the main keypgrases on Yahoo and Google - I agree that google drives more traffic, but I'll be crying if I loose Yahoo positioning :cry: we're real estate company and getting leads is very important :) this year started very good for us - I never had as many leads as we're getting now - 784 since 03/01/04 till this minute - it's just crazy :) I love it :) last year average amount of monthly leads was 250-300 - the most we've had in August'03 i believe - 580. And now from the beginnign of the year we have 2214 leads with names, e-mails, phone numbers and mailing addresses. So, if we loose Yahoo we can loose a lot of potential business.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, in your case I'll admit it's a lil different...

That one Yahoo search where you don't come up #1 could lose you a few hundred grand sale (and a big chunk of commission, hehe).
  • gemini
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

and if you know your conversion rate - you can pretty much predict your income :) though I'm not selling and not getting anything of it :( only traffic :lol:
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

and a sense of pride that your work is better than everybody else's for your chosen keyword(s) (at least as far as Yahoo & Google's concerned) :mrgreen:
  • gemini
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

exactly 8) :lol:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts