Yahoo no rankings w/out meta tags

• fourthring
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: San Diego / Beijing

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a client that has a huge site (over 500 pages) and they are only ranked for a handful of pages in Yahoo but are doing quite well in MSN and Google. We noticed that a lot of the pages do not have meta tags (keyword / description). We're going to go in and add them in today.

Anyone out there doing well in Yahoo without meta tags?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• phaugh
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yahoo really likes the description tag...don't be shy make it a few sentences and make every page's description unique and relevant to the text on the page and the keywords in the title.....
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Dont waist your clients money on the Keywords tag.
  • rajputkashyap
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was getting pretty good results through Google and MSN, Yahoo isnt ranking any of the keyword that these both SE do...

What can be the cause of that ??

Please advise

Kashyap
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Other than submit to the directory I dont know.
  • Jess
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yahoo is a strange engine in my eyes.

First off - I have a large site (3000 Pages+) That doesn't make use of the description tag and it ranks just fine in yahoo for a lot of good terms.

However I also have a site that does use description tags and it ranks a lot better. If I had the time I would certainly add them and do advise using them for yahoo optimization.

Kashyap - Each engine is different and it sounds like you have found the key for MSN and Google. Yahoo is all about on page optimization in my eyes True enough they do use the weight of anchor text and incoming links to judge a sites popularity but I hav seen sites enter the database in good postions and never lose them - these sites being brand new and having no incoming links whatsoever ... So i think that tells us something.

Have a play with your keyword density, look at ways of improving that percentage while keeping the site attractive to users :)
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yahoo has always been weird to me too. I wonder what makes it click :?

Jess wrote:
However I also have a site that does use description tags and it ranks a lot better. If I had the time I would certainly add them and do advise using them for yahoo optimization.

Jess cant you just pull something from the database into you include file. Takes less than 1 minute? If its an article just cut it off after the 200 characters and stick it. If its a shopping site:

response.write: "buy " & strProductName & " from the number one wigget store"
  • Jess
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

That would be the sensible thing to do - however with the good majority of the pages being html (for seo testing purposes) It does make it alittle bit difficult ;)
  • rajputkashyap
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Kashyap - Each engine is different and it sounds like you have found the key for MSN and Google. Yahoo is all about on page optimization in my eyes True enough they do use the weight of anchor text and incoming links to judge a sites popularity but I hav seen sites enter the database in good postions and never lose them - these sites being brand new and having no incoming links whatsoever ... So i think that tells us something.

Sounds interesting...., Well I will test one of my best optimized page with yahoo... Let's hope for the best :)

Kashyap
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
I hav seen sites enter the database in good postions and never lose them - these sites being brand new and having no incoming links whatsoever ... So i think that tells us something.

I agree. it is happening to a new site of mine.
already Hundreds of hits per day from yahoo
  • rajputkashyap
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

stuck in some problem with SEO...

Well My company site (cybercom2000.com) generating some good results with Google and MSN, This month (Feb-05) we have around 8500 + unique users to our site (Awstat data).

The problem is Yahoo isnt giving us any results, I have gone through the log, Inktomi slurp visited our site this 24th Feb and some days ago, but still they havent cached our website. It shows cache result around one month old. I have inserted meta tags on Index page and portfolio page of my site, but didnt help, Can you guide me the following points

1. How I can make Yahoo to cache our existing site, So It may give us
some result..
2. Is there's any way to check which pages yahoo has cached, for ex,
Awstat data for 24th is :

robots Hits Bandwidth Last visit
Inktomi Slurp 15+15 392.33 KB 24 Feb 2005 - 22:02

3. does Yahoo show on which date it cached the page from yahoo site like
Google shows the date on which it cached the page

Please advise...

Thank you

Regards

Kashyap
  • pspdownloads
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • pspdownloads

Post 3+ Months Ago

description metatag is most important and others are not cared by search engines.
  • phaugh
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
description metatag is most important and others are not cared by search engines.

I think the title tag is the "MOST" important tag and then the description. Both offer great opportunities to tell the web bots and potential search visitors what's on the page. A well written description should be used by the SE for the term searched if that page returned is relevant...which, more than likely, would mean the search terms appeared in the description tag.....but I also use some of the other tags as well. Just because google or yahoo and and msn don't look at them other bots do....and maybe google and yahoo do use them when they are created in a genuine way and related to the page....we don't "really" know.

Others I use are :
<meta name="robots" content="index,follow">
<META name="revisit-after" content="7 days"> - not sure if this one does anything but hey...why not? I think the best way to get crawled often is to be connected to a lot of sites that have fresh content and good rankings.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts