Asked
Updated
Viewed
8.9k times

Are there specific laws governing the use or sharing of IP Addresses? Does anyone know where the "rules" or the "legalities" of the internet are? Do they even exist?

There are likely endless scenarios, but this is one that comes to mind: If you are on a message board and a moderator gives out your IP Address to another person or entity, was that illegal for them to share your IP address?

Did you read the terms of agreement at the forum? Information related to the use of IP Addresses may be located there. For example it’s possible that they may use that information to enforce rules of the board, perhaps banning offenders via their IP address? Or perhaps in situations that the laws require they may share IP Address information with authorities if the circumstances were deemed appropriate. — Freakyp
    At the time of this comment, there's no federal law restricting it. — SilverFox
add a comment

3 Answers

• Votes
  • Oldest
  • Latest
Answered
Updated

As with all things on the internet, this is all dependant on where you are (or, I would imagine, where the person with your IP Address is). In the UK the Data Protection Act covers "personal data", which could conceivably cover an IP Address, as it is comparable with a physical address.

If an IP Address can be considered "personal data", this would make it unlawful for an IP address to be used for any purpose other than that for which it was originally intended (Identifying the user or for security monitoring). This means distribution of an IP Address is illegal, unless the user had agreed to a disclaimer or TOS.

But of course all that hinges on what country you are in. I am surprised there is no law that covers such things in other countries TBH.

Very interesting. I thought this would be covered as personal data in most countries too. — madmonk
add a comment
Answered
Updated

There is not an easy answer to this question because in short it just depends on the circumstances.

For starters different countries may or may not have laws regarding IP addresses and how they are utilized and/or shared. Additionally laws change over time.

By itself and IP address is likely meaningless. Many IP addresses are leased and depending on the date and time you will probably have varying IP addresses. Additionally with not having enough unique IPV4 addresses available to everyone on planet Earth, you may actually have the same IP address as someone else at the same exact time.

With that said, unless other information is provided with the IP address, it may not be considered personal identifying information (PII), and even if it is PII, laws vary around the world. An IP Address is a personal number for a computer, or like I mentioned above potentially numerous computers. If you give out just the IP number for a valid reason (eg recieving spam from a certain IP and complaining) then I doubt you are doing anything illegal under the context of most country laws.

add a comment
Answered
Updated

You can get in trouble for giving out an IP Address.

I know firsthand because I got in trouble for giving out an IP Address and the cops found out and took my computer.

I did have hacks but in other case they told me if I get another computer and I download hacks and steal IP Addresses and give them out that they will put me in jail for longer then 7 years.

In this case its because you're a hacker, and you got what you deserved. It's illegal if you do something prohibited with the IP address, for example, flood the end-users ports, cause a denial of service, hack, and such to that extent, that is likely illegal to do. An IP address is potentially a way to identify you just like your your home address or phone number, it's not illegal to give out and someone may be able to also figure it out. However, it is illegal to come to the house, shove a bomb into the mail slot, break into the house, mess around with the house, that's the simplest way I can put it. If you do anything illegal, you always leave a trace of your IP address, and then they can trace you back, and in the example, have the police go to your house, and arrest you. — Foxy
add a comment