ACER laptop does NOT start-up :(

• yzman
  • Born
  • Born
  • yzman

Post 3+ Months Ago

Try this !!! Remove your back cover where the ram is located. You should see a silver heat sink which is for your gpu. Try applying pressure on this, not enough to break anything and start your computer with the pressure still applied. Ive seen these symptoms a few times now and this is most likely your problem. The thermal pad is damaged, no good or is not contacting your gpu correctly.

Im not making any promises here but its been working for me with my friends computers who have had similar problems. It would make sense that if the gpu (Graphics processing unit)is overheating there would but be no image but the computer could still start.

Location of the gpu may vary from model to model but it should not be hard to find.

Give it a try and let me know your results. I want all your laptops to work again ! Im not gonna get my hopes up cause all in all they are all still Acers lol. I will be posting any other possible causes and or fixes that i come across. Best of luck
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• gwerika
  • Born
  • Born
  • gwerika

Post 3+ Months Ago

I got an Acer Aspire 6935 a couple months back. I was having the same exact issues as most of you on here. First my battery went completely bad within a month of buying it. Then my computer would sometimes turn on and sometimes I could here it booting up and the fan running but just a blank screen without me being able to press F8 or F10 or whatever to start safe mode. I ordered a new battery, put it in and it immediately crashed my computer saying "fatal error" or something like that. The computer would work on and off for about a month after that but then it finally wouldn't turn on at all, just the booting noise with a black screen.

I took the advice of someone on this forum and unplugged the BIOS battery and plugged it back in. It worked! My brother who is in IT said he would suggest buying a new BIOS battery as a backup in case it is shorting out somehow. Anyway, I hope this information can be helpful to others facing the same problem that I was.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am going to trawl my way through this thread. I have been reading this on and off for a long time now as i own an ACER Laptop and started having issues quite early on.

Tonight i have booted it up only for it to turn off after a couple of minutes. 3 times in a row and that has happened.

It was doing it periodically for a few weeks now and now it is constant. So i fully expect to turn it on one time and for it not to do anything.

I have also noticed that lately the battery life has dropped significantly.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is why I go with and trust HP Laptops/Computers.
  • ndaustin
  • Loc: Newport, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've worked my Acer hard for two and a half years and it has recently started to shut down occasionally (like some of the other comments in this thread). It's also been running very hot, and I thought that was due to me having too many applications running etc.
It just did it again this morning and I decided to check out the inside for dust around the heat sink / fan area.

Bingo! ....a wedge of dust which looked like felt.

So the morel of my story, is clean out the inside of your laptop, also check for loose screws which could cause a short (I found one which was almost out).... Then see if you still have problems with unscheduled shut downs.

One other comment... Early on after I bought my Acer I was really unhappy with it (but that was actually due to two things - One, other people telling me that Acer was crap and that I should have bought an HP, plus Vista which made my new Acer run slower than my 6 year old Dell). I had some other problems which were really software related, and when I went back to the shop to take mine back, all I saw there were other people bringing in their HPs to be fixed.

A light went on in my head.

My wife's had problems three times with her Dell.

My conclusion to all this is that no one manufacturer is any better than any other, and to simply write off one brand of computer is not that sensible, unless you've had a number of these which have all given problems.

I run my Acer really hard, and actually it's been OK on the whole. Yes there are things I would prefer, but it's all cost related... You get what you pay for.

Norman :?
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

ndaustin wrote:
I run my Acer really hard, and actually it's been OK on the whole. Yes there are things I would prefer, but it's all cost related... You get what you pay for.

Completely agree. The thing that bugs me is when i bought my laptop i was in Australia doing a 5 month working holiday. The laptop was handy for keeping in touch with people back home in Scotland. I never really used it to the point i do now until i got back home, it was then that things started to play up. One of the things was the volume scroll thing on the left of the laptop basically made no difference to the volume, it would only go up and down one or two notches so in order to adjust the temperature i would have to do it via the speaker icon next to time/date. A bit of an inconvenience but something i could live with.

The CD/DVD drive also played up quite early on, it wouldn't recognise disks or anything. That problem solved it self over time but not without many frustrating moments. Now the computer appears to be overheating which is what i believe is causing the computer to shut down unexpectedly. I do admit there are times i may sit the computer on the carpet for a small while and there may not be sufficient cool air getting to the body...however that is not always the case and it still shuts down. I actually don't think the fan is nearly good enough for the actual computer anyway, so i don't suppose that is helping when it comes to cooling the machine down either.
  • ndaustin
  • Loc: Newport, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah... it's hard to tell if these problems are hardware or software related. I know that Vista put a lot more strain on the processor than XP and intitially I blamed the computer... After upgrading my RAM to 4Mb it performed a lot better. I can't comment on Windows 7.

My DVD drive has the irritating habit of not being able to play or write a disc if my computer has been in stand-by mode... I have to re-boot each time I wish to use it.

An update on cleaning the fluff out of the head-sink fan area... This has made a BIG difference. The computer runs much quieter now and hasn't had any premature shutdowns since cleaning.

:D Just remember to make regular back-ups, cos sooner or later the hard drive will fail.

Norman
  • DarkSoulEdge
  • DarkSoulEdge

Post 3+ Months Ago

Acer fails. Hp is awesome along with Dell and Toshiba. I've used all of these computers and they run great. Lots of fun features and great functionality. Dell provides awesome customization. HP offer great great prices for their laptops, and Toshiba is great in performance and productivity. As for Acer -__-..... it sucks. I never met such a computer with so many problems. It's actually more crap than my 13 year old Compaq Presario 5000 -.-! Yes this computer is old <_< but thank fully it runs great now with some few minor adjustments :D!!

Old Specs
Cpu:900 MHz (-_-)
RAM:64 MB (._.)
VIDEO RAM:4 MB (-__________-!!)

New Specs :D
CPU:1GHz
RAM:320 MB
Video RAM:8 MB (lmfao 4mb more xD)

Now it runs much better :D.

But back on topic.

Ditch your ACER!!! and go for a new laptop that you can now get for the same price and it'll be 10x better!

Best of Luck to all because at the beginning of this thread I actually had some suggestions but all of them got ruled out when you guys formed a "*peach* YOU ACER" mob.... I was like never mind, must read on.

I read and I've come to the same conclusion, it is faulty motherboard connections on ACER's behalf. So yea >_>... no one knows if this was done on purpose so you'd be forced to buy a new laptop.

But as of now, proudly raise your hand, raise your middle finger up and shout insanely outside your window "*peach* ACER!" and let the world know your agony.

With that I'm off. Sorry if I didn't help but if your stuck with a *plum* laptop and you don't get what you paid for.... by all means punch the person next to you and say that you blame ACER.

Edit: rofl I had no idea the forum auto censors profanity. My bad I'm new here xD!! "if your stuck with a *plum* laptop" I literally lol'ed o.o
  • deon777
  • Born
  • Born
  • deon777

Post 3+ Months Ago

yzman wrote:
Try this !!! Remove your back cover where the ram is located. You should see a silver heat sink which is for your gpu. Try applying pressure on this, not enough to break anything and start your computer with the pressure still applied. Ive seen these symptoms a few times now and this is most likely your problem. The thermal pad is damaged, no good or is not contacting your gpu correctly.

Im not making any promises here but its been working for me with my friends computers who have had similar problems. It would make sense that if the gpu (Graphics processing unit)is overheating there would but be no image but the computer could still start.

Location of the gpu may vary from model to model but it should not be hard to find.

Give it a try and let me know your results. I want all your laptops to work again ! Im not gonna get my hopes up cause all in all they are all still Acers lol. I will be posting any other possible causes and or fixes that i come across. Best of luck

it seems it is my problem as well. when I press down the heat sink on the processor it starts up.
thanks! but my question is then can you replace only the heat sink part? because this is only a temporarty solution, sometimes it still doesnt want to start but after pressing down again it starts.
Did yours work perfectly after yu did that?
  • imateski
  • Born
  • Born
  • imateski

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi folks, was searching for Toshiba m35 not booting issue, and found this same thing on an Acer...just proves the point that basically any laptop is of same quality regardless of brand. I owned a dozen sofar, had a Compaq, few HPs, Toshiba m35, IBM, now own an Acer 7720Z, quite satisified with the build quality and all... Anyway, back to the problem at hand.
Had my Toshiba m35, acted up for a while, then decided to totally die. Each time I powered on, LEDs would flash, Fan would spin for a second and then everything shut down again. I found that the motherboard is faulty, and found a fix for it. Wrote up an illustrated tutorial for it, hundreds of Toshiba and HP owners saved their laptops... maybe it will help with the Acer issue... worth to try. The trick is to resolder the Maxim power driver. Full description of the resolder technique is in the tutorial, hope this helps anyone out there
Just google for "Toshiba m35 motherboard repair imateski"
  • Targis55
  • Born
  • Born
  • Targis55

Post 3+ Months Ago

Registered just to share my answers.
I removed the top stick of ram and away she went. Aspire 5270. This after weeks of scrambled harddrive and no booting.
Memory is ok, its the top slot thats defective. This laptop will be getting a single stick 2 gig ram and hopefully will run for a long time.
My own laptop is an aspire 4720 and has almost been flawless. 2 yrs old now. Early on I had a wireless card go and replaced it with another from ebay, other than that its been good. Would for sure buy another
  • MarkC369
  • Born
  • Born
  • MarkC369

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi All,

(Read on as I can get this machine to work - but don't know why!!)

I was given an Acer Aspire 1694 to look at which is having very similar problems to those described here:

1. The machine will boot up and will load windows without any issues, but without display.

2. I think that it will also boot into the BIOS settings as well (from looking at the hard disk activity compared to a normal windows load), but again there is no display so I cannot be sure.

3. Watching closely, I noted that the screen would activate (change from dead to lit black) and I also glimpsed a white cursor in top left corner from time to time. I also noted on some boots, you would actually get a flash of the Acer start-up screen (but that was only after lots of fiddling around). So the screen was working.

My attempts to fix have been:

1. I stripped the machine down and removed: HD, Wireless, RAM, Screen connector, CMOS battery, Processor and Proc Fan connector, Keyboard.

2. I replaced RAM as I had some spare - No change

3. I tried to boot to other OS such as Ubuntu _ No display.

4. I tried to boot to external monitor - This was the same as the laptop - On but black.

5. I tried to use external USB keyboard for testing external monitor - No change.

6. I tried various pressure points and key combinations as suggested here - No change

None of this worked. The end result was always that the machine will boot and the screen will remain alive but black.

In the end I just randomly pressed lots of keys in a complete random jumble - and can you believe it, the machine lit up and there was the windows desktop! I repeated this a few times and each time the machine would boot to a black screen, but then with a minute of mass random key pressing the screen would again light up and the desktop would be visible again.

I then tested putting the machine into suspend and back out again, and the graphics continued to work.

To further test, I again removed the keyboard and whilst the keyboard was connected but in mid air, I re-booted. Again the black screen. Again though, a mass random pressing of keys and the graphics work again. This eliminated that it might be pressure on something under the keyboard (and not the mass keyboard pressing actions) that was causing it to work.

I also tested with a USB keyboard, and sure enough, mass key pressing on the USB keyboard has the same result.

So my short term fix for the owner of this machine is that they will just need to keep it in suspend mode until the machine finally dies or they decide to buy another machine or pay for a more professional repair service.

I am not sure if this information will help anyone else, or better still, spark some other ideas as to what could be causing the issue. I personally think that this is purely an issue with the graphics card and that maybe the action of pressing all the keys opens something on the desktop that maybe uses the ATI drivers which communicate with the graphics card, causing something to function, but I am sort of guessing :-)

Hope that helps.

Mark.
  • chintubrass
  • Born
  • Born
  • chintubrass

Post 3+ Months Ago

I follwed the following steps at acer support page

"
What do I do when my notebook or netbook does not power on?

Please follow the steps below to attempt restoring power to the system.

1.Disconnect the AC adapter from the laptop.
2.Remove the battery.
3.Press and hold the power button for about 30 seconds then release it. (You will not see anything happen)
4.Connect the AC Adapter to the laptop. Make sure the AC Adapter is plugged in.
5.Turn the computer on as normal.
6.Once Windows loads, insert the battery
"

and I was able to get my acer aspire 5735z up and running again.
may it helps someone else too.
  • MarkC369
  • Born
  • Born
  • MarkC369

Post 3+ Months Ago

Chintubrass,

I did try this as well, but the problem that I am having is not that the machine will not start. It starts up and will load Windows without any problem. It just does not display anything on the screen. I know that the screen is working and pressing enough random keys all at the same time will cause the screen to spring into life....

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Mark.
  • Falanca
  • Born
  • Born
  • Falanca

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello. Just like half an hour ago or so, my Acer Aspire 5520 ran into a very similar problem, if not the same.

It was running perfectly as it did for 2 and a half years, I wasn't even running a game or some big chunk of software (only winamp, xfire and firefox 3) but suddenly it turned itself off. When I try to run it power lights, I wait a little, fan's running, I hear it reading the DVD, then suddenly power is cut. I can see no flash of light on the screen during this time.

Get this; when it shuts itself down, it immediately powers itself up again, trying to start up and doing to process I mentioned above again, shutting itself down, etc. In the end it constantly fails at starting up and I just watch it fail miserably.

It might be related to the screen; I haven't tried to plug in an external screen. Might be motherboard or something else, in which case I'm doomed since I don't think I'm able to afford a good lappy these days.
  • gauthami
  • Born
  • Born
  • gauthami

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, last night my Acer laptop had the same problem,
it suddenly turned itself off and it wont start. When I try ,the lights turn from yellow to green, fan's running, and nothing happens on my screen, its just black and blank

Its so annoying!

hope somebody will help me with this
  • jason219
  • Born
  • Born
  • jason219

Post 3+ Months Ago

go to the support page. submit a question. i just did it and my problem was resolved. my computer would not start at all. the fan and hard drive would spin. i got sent a link and put a file on a flash drive, put it in the acer and started it. and within 10 minutes it was working again. (needed to flash the bios)

google "How do I update the BIOS on my ,Acer Aspire One AOA110 or AOA150 netbook?" and it should be the first link.
  • gauthami
  • Born
  • Born
  • gauthami

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thankyou Jason219, will try.
  • barnold
  • Born
  • Born
  • barnold

Post 3+ Months Ago

Acer 5610Z would appear to come on briefly (heard fans and power light would come on) but it would shut off before the bios even booted. We reseated the wireless card and it appears to be working again.
  • Saurabhgupta
  • Born
  • Born
  • Saurabhgupta

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello Falanca,

Any Update on your problem what have you done?

Cheers,
SG

Falanca wrote:
Hello. Just like half an hour ago or so, my Acer Aspire 5520 ran into a very similar problem, if not the same.

It was running perfectly as it did for 2 and a half years, I wasn't even running a game or some big chunk of software (only winamp, xfire and firefox 3) but suddenly it turned itself off. When I try to run it power lights, I wait a little, fan's running, I hear it reading the DVD, then suddenly power is cut. I can see no flash of light on the screen during this time.

Get this; when it shuts itself down, it immediately powers itself up again, trying to start up and doing to process I mentioned above again, shutting itself down, etc. In the end it constantly fails at starting up and I just watch it fail miserably.

It might be related to the screen; I haven't tried to plug in an external screen. Might be motherboard or something else, in which case I'm doomed since I don't think I'm able to afford a good lappy these days.
  • lyricman67
  • Born
  • Born
  • lyricman67

Post 3+ Months Ago

No Power Up Fixed. First take out battery and remove power source. Open ram cover and take out ONE of the ram cards. Then try plugging in the power source and rebooting. Try this with each RAM card. One of the RAM card ports or cards is most likely bad. You may have experienced a slow-down of speed recently, extreemly hot on the bottom, email taking longer to load. Not only should this fix the problem but it should help your speed slightly. Best of luck.
  • NikUk
  • Born
  • Born
  • NikUk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just wanted to say. Friends laptop same symptons. Power seemed to be getting to the laptop, but back screen on startup, not going to bios etc.

Followed the advice of poster above, took top ram out. Started first time. Rebooted 5 times now to test. Works fine.
  • simplegreen99
  • Born
  • Born
  • simplegreen99

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey folks a quick note on how i fixed my issue.

My friend has a Acer Aspire 5534 that i agreed to take a look at after it would not fully boot.

They dropped it off and it booted right up for me but i held it to look at it further, i knew they haven't started it in a while and if it was a cmos battery or something like that i could wait for it to charge and try to reproduce the problem.

Which i was, i didn't suffer the all black screen like most but im assuming my issue was semi related, i was able to get video on the screen however when i was able to reproduce the issue. All i got was the Acer logo and "Press F2 to enter Setup"

It just sat there and hung. Even after it would hang i could still have F2 and it would say "Please wait..." but nothing ever came of it.

I tried a few things listed on these 10 pages of posts a combination or a single one of these "fixed" my issue.

-Broke down the laptop tested all the connections and blew out the dust

-Unplugged the battery and AC cord held down the power button for at least 2 mins
pulled out one of the memory chips (however they are both fine and are reading when I was finally able to boot into windows)

-When i finally got in the Aspire 5534 was on bios ver. 1.10 the latest was 1.16. So i updated the bios and it booted right up. I even realized some of the issues that it was showing early on like phantom icons in the task bar were fixed.

Its booted ever since, i'll cross my fingers for them.
  • HItesh27
  • Born
  • Born
  • HItesh27

Post 3+ Months Ago

Another disgruntled ACER user...

I found this site after searching for a solution to my problem.
Again I have a problem at start up like most of the posters on this post.

I press the power key on my Acer and the laptop starts to power up. I have a green LED light on the hard disk to show power to the HDD and the num-lock key lights up. I can hear the fan start and the HDD whirring away as if Windows is loading in the background but the LCD down not power up and the start up gets no further. I have left the laptop sitting like this for over half an hour and nothing.

Pressing the num-lock key does not switch of the num-lock light and pressing the caps-lock key does not illuminate the caps-lock light either. The laptop has locked up and nothing further can be done.

I can switch off the laptop by holding down the power key for 7 seconds and everything powers off.
I press the power key again and the same thing... same rigmarole as it goes round and round...

Then I (I say I but the wife says she found the work round :D ) came across a solution where after the initial start up power down, by holding the power switch for 7 seconds, if I press the power switch and hold it down for 4 seconds and then let go the laptop powers up and windows starts to load normally. Once loaded the laptop works fine until the laptop is shutdown or rebooted and then the same issue as before on starting.

This works each and every time. This would suggest that it’s not a hardware fault and software related or is a hardware fault but the BIOS check is by passed by holding the power switch down for 4 seconds. I only read about removing the RAM so I am going to test this tonight but does this work for anyone else experiencing the problem?
  • stuart72
  • Born
  • Born
  • stuart72

Post 3+ Months Ago

Did this problem ever get solved for anyone?

i have a Acer Aspire 5520G laptop

i think ive had it for about 3 years,

just lately i have also had problems starting or booting it,

like the rest here my screen stays black, cpu fan is turning

but it wont boot,

tried the external monitor thing tried reseating everything,

sometimes it will boot and when it does it works fine the only problem i have is i have to leave the laptop on 24/7

surely if this was a hardware issue then it would crash or something??

ive contacted acer they just want me to send the laptop to them with an initial charge of 55 euros or something, which i wont do..
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Someone named Asim contacted me and let me know that they resolved this:

Quote:
I fixed my issue by replacing the BIOS battery. When the PC/Laptop became more than 3 years old, it's BIOS battery usually needs replacement. So please try this method too while swapping RAMs, checking heat sinks, BIOS reset, etc. Acer isn't a bad laptop. Instead if I think about the money I spent, I get much better laptop than others.

So basically you might want to double check that you have replaced the lithium battery on the motherboard, as that may also resolve your problem.
  • craignigel
  • craignigel

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi

I have an Acer Aspire 9423WSMi laptop with 160GB HD and 2 GB of memory running Vista Home Premium. I have had it for 4 years without any problems so I suppose that I have done well after reading the reports on here.

About a month ago I had problems with the display and soon tracked it down to a faulty LCD and I obtained a replacement, installed it and it was fine.

A few days ago, it would not start up correctly. The display just showed coloured vertical lines. I re-booted and it stated OK. The following morning again it would not start but the display was black except for the dim backlight. I attached it to my TV and again all that was visible were coloured vertical lines and rolling patterns and the bottom line showing the screen resolution and refresh rate.
The laptop display was black with no backlight which still comes on only when the external monitor is disconnected.

On attempted start-up the HD LED flashes and flickers and the DVD LED also briefly flashes. You can hear the access of the HD but the fan at the right side does not operate and it did. The Wifi LED lights up fairly quickly. The laptop does not go into POST and non of the keys enable you to get into the BIOS.

As suggested on here, I have this-connected the memory modules, hard drive and tried to perform a hard re-set (press power button for 1 min). Natually, I have tried with and without battery and mains adapter and also tried my adapter from this Acer 5750.

I just can't think of anything else. I don't have my original factory default disks here as I live in Spain and I am in Leeds UK at my house, at present. I also have a USB to hard drive adapter cable in Spain and I could try to access the DH. I am not going back for a couple of months yet. I really need to get to my letters and SS on my older acer. Of course, it backs up the d drive partition which is of no use. In Spain, I did a full image to my external 1.5 TB HD before I left, so all is not lost when I return.
I really would like to get this laptop going.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Any links to service manuals for the 9420 Series might help. I wondered if it could be the CMOS battery but i don't know where it is??

Thanks

Nigel
  • craignigel
  • craignigel

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi again

Added info:

I've just had another look and the fan does start when the power button is pressed but it only stays on for a couple of seconds.

Any help?

Thanks

Nigel
  • Sanso
  • Born
  • Born
  • Sanso

Post 3+ Months Ago

already solved the problem?
  • craignigel
  • craignigel

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi
No, its not sorted. I have taken the hard drive out and it's fine. I have it in a USB dock and have read my files and copied them onto my new Acer.

I would love to get the old one working.

I think its probably the graphics card but I dont know if that is integrated on the motherboard.

Thanks

Nigel
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 155 posts