ACER laptop does NOT start-up :(

• 4thrs
  • Born
  • Born
  • 4thrs

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well I took the plunge and disassembled the 2010 laptop, after all I had nothing to loose! I believe our problems could be due to poor quality control on the mother boards. My mother board seemed to have lots of fluff stuck on to it, as if the protected coating they put onto it, was put on, in not in a clean environment Few solder connections where also a bit iffy. This could be our problems, bad solder connections on the MoBo somewhere and they all lead to the same problem. My problems seem to be centered around the memory board connections. I was able to start the laptop normally by applying enough pressure on the memory connector 200 pins. Running the memory test , "Memtest-86 v 3.2" I was able to introduce errors by jiggling the memory board connector. I can virtually predict when it is going to fail.
I hope this helps.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• manny0131
  • Born
  • Born
  • manny0131
  • Loc: Puerto Rico

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok but you fixed it by doing that or you still have tha same problem?
thanks
  • 4thrs
  • Born
  • Born
  • 4thrs

Post 3+ Months Ago

Unfortunately I don't have the equipment to re solder the 200 pin memory connectors. I can't identify which particular pins are faulty. By jamming a piece of thin cardboard between the memory board and the MoBo, which creates a slight pressure on the MoBo, I'm getting by. I know it's only a temporary fix and the problem could get worse. This works for me the majority of the time. In a one week period it only failed to start once and when it starts it keeps going with no problems. In the meantime I'm looking around for a used MoBo or a computer repair shop to tackle the solder job.
  • gaet257
  • Born
  • Born
  • gaet257

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, i have a travelmate 240.
The problem is the same.
all test are done without battery.

The pc boot itself after connecting power supply.
But the boot is not completed. Fan turn on,power led turn on, keyboard leds blinks but the lcd is black. no signal.

I disassembled laptop and and put mother board on the desk. now , when i push on the cpu the laptop boots currectly.
Fans start fast, keyboard leds blink, fan go slow, keyboard led blink again and then lcd is turned on.
Seems to be a second boot phase.
The laptop works good. after turning it off, the laptop boot fine pushing start button.

If i disconnect power supply from wall and then reconnect to wall, the problem is the same. laptop boot itself, with blank lcd.etc etc

Seem to be a bad solder on the motherboard that prevent the correct boot.

any help is good. let me know.

anyway the board is of bad quality process. not good hardware.replace the board is unuseful. the problem may appear again. better buy a new laptop i think.

hi
  • jdesut
  • Born
  • Born
  • jdesut

Post 3+ Months Ago

I appreciate all of the posts on this subject. I am glad it is not just me. My problem is different in that i do not get the fan or intermittement usage. I got nothing from the PSU and battery would work if charged it would appear but it is not charging. I wanted to share what I sent to tech support. If anyone has ideas, please let me know.

Thanks,
Joe

Hello, any help is greatly appreciated.

I usually run my laptop from the Power supply unit (PSU). The battery life has always been short but that was never a big deal. Today, even though I had the PSU plugged in the laptop was running off of battery. I checked the connection, but it drained the battery and went into hibernation mode. I tried the PSU from multiple outlets and the PSU has a green LCD when plugged into the outlet. However, attempts to power on the laptop with the battery removed gets me nothing. No partial boot or fan turning on, completely nothing. I PURCHASED a SEPERATE PSU and I get the SAME result. I do not get any LCD lights on the front of the laptop like I use to do when the PSU is plugged in. No LCD on laptop with either PSU.

When the battery is plugged in, the battery indicator light on the front will blink a couple of times when I try to turn the laptop on but no results. This is regardless of whether the laptop PSU is plugged in or not.

I really enjoy this laptop and I use it every day for work and business. It is very important to me to be up and running. Please advise and call me right away if you need to.

Thank you,
Joe
  • demonmaestro
  • Gold Member
  • Gold Member
  • Loc: Conroe, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello,

To all that has been having the issue of Acer laptop computer not booting.
After reading all of your posts I have found out that most of them are all the same and came to a conclusion that the power supply, ram, hard drive, and video card is just fine. Through thinking of most computer if nothing happens and everything works just fine then it must be the mother board.

If you have a volt-a-meter then you can test the motherboard on if its getting power how ever not a recomond if you are wanting to void warentee. Last choice option. But from hearing everybodys statement that it is a motherboard issue..

If looking into getting another laptop I recomond eather of this options: HP,Compaq, Sony, Apple, or Dell <-- Not a good choice but they are better then Acer.

If have any questions please let me know.
  • flo77is
  • Born
  • Born
  • flo77is

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had similar problem with my Acer Aspire 3690

First I thought it was a problem with RAM, processor or even motherboard.

But, I found a solution and it was none of above causing the problem.

The problem was with small plastic thing that is pushed in when you close notebook.

In fact it was stuck, and always when I pressed power button only HDD led was flashing for a moment and fan started to work for few seconds, after that it stopped and there was nothing on the screen.

Now, I am really lucky that it was only that small plastic thing causing the problem.
Hope in your case is same problem. Otherwise you should be thinking about repairing a part of your notebook that could cause the problem.

Regards,
flo77is
  • magenta
  • Born
  • Born
  • magenta

Post 3+ Months Ago

zankfrappa wrote: This year it started to cause problems in not starting. If I'd used it for a day, it would take another day before it would start again, whether shut down or on standby - all this from the power supply. It's got worse, so time down takes longer before I can get any sign of life from the machine. The power light on the front shows juice.
The other day I disconnected the power cable for half an hour and pulled out the battery pack for 10 minutes. A couple of hours later it started up.

Thanx zankfrappa ! Simple but right idea!
My Acer TM2310 had a problem like that. It wont start standart way, no reaction pushing on off button. Light yellow battery charge led, after some time light in green. I try several tricks to fullish power system, no way. Then I disconnect the power cable and pulled out the battery pack for a half an hour. After I connect it all back notebook started up after pushing on off button.
I think there is a problem in Inactivity timeout memory. After some time out of maintence memory erasing all data.

My decission - to have Acer like a second computer, the main computer should be some more serious. It's not reliable.
  • Boonie_Rick
  • Born
  • Born
  • Boonie_Rick

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well as many of you have said already it is a motherboard problem.

My problem was along the same lines, with differences here and there. I took it to the acer tech center in Singapore (where I purchased my laptop, and I decided to wait till i got here since any repairs would be a lot cheaper here) and I got an answer back saying that I had a faulty motherboard and lcd..

I had this laptop just under two years and I had problems from the start, the main one being the fan burning out within 5months. I was told the repair would cost around 500-600 euros. Which is practically a new laptop so I told them to hand me back my faulty acer laptop.

So I have moved on to scrapping it for spare parts, not a great deal left but I'm turning my hard drive into a nice small portable external, RAM being put into a different laptop, and I'll probably sell the power supply, battery and fan on ebay for peanuts.

Not having much trust in anything now a days, I've purchased my Dell laptop with three year warrantee which will at least guarantee it will last me longer than the acer did.

Best of luck to the rest of you.. hope you have better luck than me.
  • flo77is
  • Born
  • Born
  • flo77is

Post 3+ Months Ago

Also, a faulty LAN could be a reason for not booting.
You could try pressing shortly on power on button few times rapidly, during that light on LAN will blink. After that normally press on power button and laptop should start, but the problem isn't solved.
If you don't fix LAN it may cause some other troubles, ex. mouse will stop responding.
I think that same could happen with any faulty device like PCI flash memory, PCMCIA slot, USB, etc.
  • quo
  • Born
  • Born
  • quo

Post 3+ Months Ago

flo77is wrote:
Also, a faulty LAN could be a reason for not booting.
You could try pressing shortly on power on button few times rapidly, during that light on LAN will blink. After that normally press on power button and laptop should start, but the problem isn't solved.
If you don't fix LAN it may cause some other troubles, ex. mouse will stop responding.
I think that same could happen with any faulty device like PCI flash memory, PCMCIA slot, USB, etc.

I have fixed several Acer 280/290 series (5 pieces )very easily and happy to share it. the ones i have unplugged are still alive today.

Plug out the BIOS battery and leave it Unplugged!

voila.

enjoy , hope it works for you to
  • llary
  • Born
  • Born
  • llary

Post 3+ Months Ago

I live in Taiwan and bought an Acer Aspire 1690 about 1 1/2 years ago. It was a great computer for the price with a fantastic screen and I assumed that since Taiwan has a good reputation for LCDs and Laptops I would be okay with Acer.

However.. about a week after my year's warranty expired the combo drive stopped burning DVDs, then a few weeks later stopped reading anything at all. I tried cleaning it with no luck. Then the plastic drive face fell off and the clips broke.

Another month on and the keyboard started getting erratic. Then the fan started making a very loud noise with the laptop getting even hotter than usual (and this machine does get VERY hot anyway).

Now my laptop complains about resource conflicts with the WLAN card at boot up, combined with BSODs and other fun. I assumed this was a heat related problem but the issues are still here starting from cold so any damage has obviously already been done. I will speak to Acer but I assume I will be wasting my time.

At roughly US$1,000 this Acer was a good deal but with a year's good use plus a few months of semi-functionality it worked out to be a very expensive computer. I nearly bought a Sony Vaio but decided the Acer had more features for a better price, but next time I won't be tempted by anything less than a full 3 year warranty.
  • alberserna
  • Born
  • Born
  • alberserna

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi all,

I also purchased Acer 1694 WMLi two years ago.

Unended list of problems, two times went with the tech support.

Now it deals with the same problem described at this thread. It does not power on, and power LEDs blink from ambar to green. The laptop does not charge the battery, it just tries to boot a soon as any power source is connected, but without succes. No bios screen , just the fan, and the HDD lighting constantly.

I do not know, if it could have been due to Linux, a conflicting PC-Game, cleaning the screen with alcohol, I am going mad about all this. I did not performed any bios upgrade, of course.

I will contact the support again, I hope there is a solution, and I can gather my data before I send again the laptop.

I didnĀ“t believed that laptops were so sensitivy, until I bought mine.

Thanks for the information, hope that we find a solution.
  • gaby
  • Born
  • Born
  • gaby

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi! I have a problem with my Acer computer too. It's a laptop and a few weeks ago the keyboard and the mouse stopped working correctly. Whenever I turn on the computer neither of them work; they don't cause any reaction on the screen. But if I remove the battery, plug the computer in and turn it on, they work perfectly. Is this a battery problem or do you think it's something worse? Thanks!
  • mayuresh
  • Born
  • Born
  • mayuresh

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have Acer Aspire 5570Z. Same problem cropped up out of the blue after 3 months of use since I purchased it. It will just freeze all of a sudden. Have to power it off using power button. On pressing power button again, the fan seems to turn on but neither the screen comes up nor it boots. (Tried connecting another monitor also.)

The dealer where I bought this told me to detach the battery and power adapter and re-insert the battery again. If I do these steps it does boot and functions normally for a while but ends up getting into above problem after a few minutes of usage.

The dealer says, it should be a problem with power supply and asked to talk to Acer technical support.

Got a strange answer from Acer. They told me to re-install touchpad drivers and try. I don't think that makes any sense.
  • faceoff
  • Born
  • Born
  • faceoff

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, and another Acer in trouble!
the 1511 LMi this time.

And that only a month after it was fixed.
It had problem with it graph. adaptor.
So I sent it for repairs (it took about 8 freakin' months)
It got a new Graph. Adaptor.
- new Battery
- new lid with WiFi receiver
And after that I tripped on the AC/Adapter forcing me to buy a new one as well.

So back to the current problems. Very plain and simple.
I was playing a game at a friends place. It was time to go home, so I shut down my laptop, close the lid, and go home.

Then when I get home (a 1 minute walk), I remember I still need to check my Mail. I press the power button, nothing happens.

Tried it with only Battery or only Power Supply. No go!

I already hated Acer with all my guts after the first incident.
So I think I'll leave my current opinion about Acer out of this post ;)
  • faceoff
  • Born
  • Born
  • faceoff

Post 3+ Months Ago

Allright, I sort of found out my problem.

I wiggled around with the power adaptor plug, at the back of the laptop. And suddenly it booted. (this all without battery).

The only strange part was, when I inserted the battery it showed 89%
So it should have started without the direct power feed, and with battery inserted, anyway.
  • alex_svenson
  • alex_svenson
  • Loc: Iowa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, finally I was able to get hold of a friend who is a PC hardware master.
He disassembled my Acer laptop and tested motherboard chips with a voltmeter. As a result he already found one dead diode and replaced it.

However this didn't solve the problem and he went into further testing. He thinks there is also either dead CPU (Intel Pentium M 1.4Ghz) or/and VRM chip (Voltage Regulating Module) small ship. Looks like the part number of my VRM is Maxim 1907A, though I wasn't able to find any online.

The only way to test CPU is to put it in a working laptop. Luckily, my Toshiba laptop has the same CPU Intel Pentium M 1.4Ghz, through with different part number and smaller cache. I hope it won't be a problem to put Acer's possibly dead CPU in Toshiba laptop and test it.

Hopefully the next week my friend will find time to disassemble my Toshiba laptop just to put dead Acer's CPU and to check whether CPU of Acer is dead or working. If CPU is dead then it will be just VRM. No idea how to test it. Though test with voltmeter shows it as more than likely dead because on voltemeter it should show over 1, while it is in fact less than 1. Time will show.

I will post the outcome.
  • Rebecca612
  • Born
  • Born
  • Rebecca612
  • Loc: Tulsa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Glad I am not the only one. I also have an Acer Aspire 1690 that is doing the same thing. It started going blank but would restart and work for a few hours, then it would turn on like normal and after 5 minutes go blank while everything remains on. Now I can't even get the ACER welcome screen or the windows logo, nothing, although the power light does come on the battery indicator light comes on. My bluetooth button will light up but the button for wireless will not light up even if i press it, and now a few seconds after it starts up it gets very quiet but the lights stay on, however if I press caps lock or something the caps lock light does not come on. but my question is if i get one of those 2.5 enclosures like he mentioned above can I retrieve the data from my hard drive? and what about my D drive?
  • alex_svenson
  • alex_svenson
  • Loc: Iowa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Rebecca612 wrote:
Glad I am not the only one. I also have an Acer Aspire 1690 that is doing the same thing. It started going blank but would restart and work for a few hours, then it would turn on like normal and after 5 minutes go blank while everything remains on. Now I can't even get the ACER welcome screen or the windows logo, nothing, although the power light does come on the battery indicator light comes on. My bluetooth button will light up but the button for wireless will not light up even if i press it, and now a few seconds after it starts up it gets very quiet but the lights stay on, however if I press caps lock or something the caps lock light does not come on. but my question is if i get one of those 2.5 enclosures like he mentioned above can I retrieve the data from my hard drive? and what about my D drive?

Well, I'm assuming that you're having problem with your laptop's motherboard not hard drive,
so you can actually recover your data and keep using your laptop's hard drive as portable.

Just buy one of those 2.5" HDD enclosures and put in it your laptop's hard drive.
You will basically convert your laptop's hard drive into USB external portable hard drive because they are supplied with USB cable.

Make sure that enclosure supports your hard drive interface.
I think your laptop's hard drive interface is IDE/ATA-100.
Don't buy SATA enclosure, they won't work with your hard drive.

These ones should be compatible:
http://www.meritline.com/meritline-usb2 ... -case.html

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-5-External-Hard-D ... dZViewItem

I bought myself generic enclosure from eBay for $8.50 shipped. It works fine.

Good luck!
  • kirbyy
  • Born
  • Born
  • kirbyy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Another one here... :(

Laptop 1692 WLMi, 2 years of age but I'm questioning if it'll see the end of the year...

Right now my cd drive is defect, my fan is barely working (after manual repair it still is very loud), my sd card reader isn't working, my touchpad is messed up, my usb slots are acting irregular (connecting and disconnecting at random) and now like the rest of the people here my laptop has trouble booting.

I found that fiddling with the power input plug while repeatedly slamming the litte power button works, but it usually takes 15 minutes. Once it's running it behaves as normal with no videocard or ram or any other sorts of failure. My guess is that the little button with the yellow glow is of poor quality.

It really is ridicilous. never again will I touch any acer product or buy another laptop without at least a 3 year warranty.
  • anutanya
  • Born
  • Born
  • anutanya

Post 3+ Months Ago

another one here :(
Acer Aspire 5601, bought July 2006 , battery stopped charging all of a sudden, sometimes it boots but mostly just the lights come on, fan come on and then nothing. Tried everything I can think of (removed/switched RAM, checked/repaired HD, reinstalled windows, tried with ubuntu, updated BIOS...).
I have extended warranty from my credit card but I need a diagnostic/repair quote for it and unfortunately this problem is not predictable.
Any updates from anyone else with same issue ?
  • Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

One problem - Its an acer!
  • Ricardo
  • Born
  • Born
  • Ricardo

Post 3+ Months Ago

travelmate 2420; it died in the time it took me to go to the kitchen and get a coke
when I went back there was nothing
just silence
and coldness
  • gpsman
  • Born
  • Born
  • gpsman

Post 3+ Months Ago

Acer aspire 5685 , 6 months old .
On Christmas' eve night I've shutdown the pc , disconnected the ac plug cord from it , the external hd and my ipod still, connected via USB but both off.
The next day I have tried to turn on the computer but it was dead frozen .
I have tried to recharge it, then after the power indicator turned from amber to green I've tried again to restart it but no luck!
Any suggestion ?
  • RocketRobinHood
  • Born
  • Born
  • RocketRobinHood

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm in the same boat.

Acer 2303. It died 3 months out of warranty. It was just sitting on my desk. I went to get a drink, came back, and it was just like the others. Boycott Acer laptops!

Can anyone start an anti acer webpage?......is a worldwide class action law suit possible?

RRH
  • fipasso
  • Born
  • Born
  • fipasso

Post 3+ Months Ago

It happens in Portugal too!

Well, we all started to sound like a support group of acer laptop widows :)

My Travelmate 4001 died last week from the Mikhlos Feher syndrome. Starting to promisse big things, and then... it just died on the field... from one power-on to another!

I read all your posts and gathered with the diagnosis from the repair shop man I went to, it seems like they all suffered from a congenital motherboard insufficiency...

From Acer I hear the same 50euros thing... that you'll send the laptop to them and if you deny the repairment U loose the money! But I heard that if the repairment is over 350euros they claim it as unrepearable *plum* and send it back to U.

Is it true?
  • RocketRobinHood
  • Born
  • Born
  • RocketRobinHood

Post 3+ Months Ago

The Acer support asked me to pay $350 upfront and then some more after the repair...! No thanks. A$$h0l3s
  • acerix
  • Born
  • Born
  • acerix
  • Loc: Greece

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hallo from Greece! I have the same problem with a Travelmate 2303lm. At first, before some months i was geting usb overvoltage errors. Later, when i was booting everything was normal, but the touchpad was turned on (not by me) while I was constantly kept it off because i use a mouse. After that period it started hanging on shutdown and i was removing all power to shut it down. Later I noticed that gentle hits to the lcd caused flickering. Lately the lcd brigthness was little dimmed, but that did not prelude me for the follow up. Before 4-5 days I returned from work I opened it and pressed the power button. It started and then it shutdown at the moment that lcd shows the post screen, that was the last time i saw it lighting. I tried pressing the power again but nothing happened. I removed cords and bats and i ended at the well known story: power led on, fan on for 4-5sec, hd on for 2-3 spins, dvd one long flash, caps, numlock led one single flash. I bought it on Sept of 2004 and I was pushing the hell out of it for all those years (Many many many miles on the road to university, and home 24/7 on the net to download everything. Actually, i always used standby for the move and i only restarted for udpate appliance. I cant remember having it shutdown. Well, i cant complain, i smashed it on the work.
Anyway, I think there is still hope. There is a great deal for all the common faults to be the inverter of the lcd. I think of it as the most possible faulty part because of the above mentioned flickering and dimming. Memory is ok, hd, cpu and dvd are ok (tested on other systems). I dont think it is mobo because if graphics failed (acers have intergrated graphics system in chips with several other devices, like io, pci etc) the whole system goes down which means no leds no fans no disks no martini no party. Afterall garphic system uses memory from ram and thats why a friend said that pushing the ram slots solves the problem, because graphics ram goes online again. My point is that if graphics chip goes dead in an acer, then nothing on the laptop can work. Moreover, if a chip goes dead there is no resurection. It is just bye-bye. Several friends are telling that *if* some condition is held *then* the system boots. That means that is a possible contact connection issue. And that is my theory too. A bad contact problem in the inverter of the lcd. This inverter supplies the backligth lamp with high voltage and it normally heats up big time. To do that it uses a coil. Either overworked or bad constucted from factory, the coil may fail and brake. Heat helps a lot to that direction itself. When the laptop boots and finds no lighting circuit to adjust, an error is reported and system stops for self protection reasons. Thats where system hangs. There is no point on turning to outside display, the keyboard has no authority yet. That means you seat and watch nothing because laptop is not willling to move on for it may be its last step. It might as well know that the coil produces several kilovolts and if a sort-circuit arises all the volts will spread to the rest of its body with the speed of ...ligthning.
Nevermind, thats my little conspiracy theory. Im working to figure out the cause. I think what a friend said before about the bios battery is very interesting and i will try. Nevertheless, Im not quiting, dont you either.
  • rcav8r
  • Born
  • Born
  • rcav8r

Post 3+ Months Ago

Came across this forum on a google search. I bought a acer 5100 Dec. 2006. Last August, sent it back for warranty work. They replaced the motherboard, the keyboard cover (part that goes around keyboard)-cause it had melted!-and some other part.

About a week ago, my wife was using it, and it came up with a message that said something along the lines of "there is a problem with xxx and your computer is shutting down to protect itself". There was a lot more, but I wasn't able to read it before it shut down.

Now when I tried to get it started up, the acer screen comes on, then goes black, nothing happening.

Searching around it seems odds that something overheated again. This appears to be a common problem, chips overheating and dying.

I came across a listing on ebay for a company in CA that will diagnosis your computer, give you a qoute, and repair it if you give the go ahead. The price you pay on ebay is for return shipping. There is no fee if it can't be fixed, just the $10 you paid for the auction.
So I emailed them describing my problem, and they said it sounds like the motherboard, and that they'd replace the chinese made chips with TI chips.

Now the thing is, which chips would these be? where can I find the Texas Instruments replacements? Are they stock, or do they need some kind of custom programming?

I have nothing to lose here, it just ticks me off that a laptop would only last 14 months.

John
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 155 posts