ACER laptop does NOT start-up :(

• johnm
  • Born
  • Born
  • johnm

Post 3+ Months Ago

ive been having the same problem, but mine only seems to work if i squeeze the bottom left and corner really hard, and then it boots on. if i let go of the corner it freezes in all sorts of weird lines.

it started out by randomly freezing with a white screen and a bunch of black lines now it wont turn on unless i squeeze it
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm pretty alarmed with all the stories i've been reading here. To be honest, i sort of regret buying this Acer Aspire 5720 for different reasons than above. I do hope that nothing happens to it largely down to the fact that the computer was bought in Australia and i can see Acer being anal about the warranty despite it being an international warranty.
  • ScissorPaperRock
  • Born
  • Born
  • ScissorPaperRock

Post 3+ Months Ago

Same problem with an Acer TravelMate 4502LCi. Yesterday when I first tried to boot it would not boot, the fans started but it would go no further. The power light would remain on. After fiddeling around with the battery and power supply I was able to get it going occasionally, but I would get a blue screen with the "Driver IRQL Not Less or Equal" message, and my computer would reboot.

I managed to get into safe mode where everything seemed fine, and left my computer on overnight downloading some software updates. I was downloading iTunes, because the only thing I did different the morning when this all started was plug my iPod touch into the laptop to charge while it was booting, so I thought that might have something to do with it. I didnt have itunes on it previously.

But when I went to the laptop this morning and tried to get out of the screensaver it had frozen. And it won't start at all now.

I'm not impressed.
  • darkflow79
  • Born
  • Born
  • darkflow79

Post 3+ Months Ago

Exactly same problem with my acer 3680. Failed after 15 months. Was using it and it suddenly go blank without any warning.

Maybe we can start class action lawsuit against Acer?
  • crocky
  • Born
  • Born
  • crocky

Post 3+ Months Ago

We had the same problem with a Acer Travelmate 230.

The laptop only works when the AC adapter is plugged in and after pulling out the plug while the laptop was still running, the laptop wouldn't start up anymore.
Everything seemd to start, except the LCD, it stayed black. Also hooking up an external monitor didn't work.

I opened up almost everything and disconnected most things and put them back. And now the LCD is working again.

These are the things I disconnected en reconnected:
- HD
- CD Drive
- Keyboard
- the connectors from the LCD to the motherboard
- the connector from the on/off, Function buttons to the motherboard
- the tiny cell battery (holding the BIOS settings and the clock)
- RAM
- connector from touchpad to the motherboard

That's about it, i think. When I reconnected everything and started the laptop, everything worked fine. The first time, the BIOS complained about loosing it settings or clock or something like that.

I think disconnecting the tiny cell battery or reconnecting the LCD connectors did the trick.

Hope I could help.
  • staylor
  • Born
  • Born
  • staylor

Post 3+ Months Ago

If there is a class action against Acer, count me in....my Acer 5762 WLMi has done a very similar thing to what I see described here.....On Tuesday I went to bed with the laptop and me getting along fine.....on Wednesday morning, it was black screened and silent and it will not boot up. Pressing the power button gets a rise for a bit, showing there is power, the DVD/CD drive seems to awaken and seconds later all goes silent. Tried the remove the power cord and battery bit described on the ACER support site but no go. Through out the nearly 2 years I've owned the
Acer, I've found their support to be nigh on to ridiculously awful.I'm now using a Sony Vaio purchased in 1996!
  • crocky
  • Born
  • Born
  • crocky

Post 3+ Months Ago

staylor wrote:
If there is a class action against Acer, count me in....my Acer 5762 WLMi has done a very similar thing to what I see described here.....On Tuesday I went to bed with the laptop and me getting along fine.....on Wednesday morning, it was black screened and silent and it will not boot up. Pressing the power button gets a rise for a bit, showing there is power, the DVD/CD drive seems to awaken and seconds later all goes silent. Tried the remove the power cord and battery bit described on the ACER support site but no go. Through out the nearly 2 years I've owned the
Acer, I've found their support to be nigh on to ridiculously awful.I'm now using a Sony Vaio purchased in 1996!

This sounds more like an empty battery.
Try using a different AC Adaptor, maybe the laptop doesn't get any power from AC Adaptor.
Or the AC connector maybe broke. Maybe try a fully charged battery from another laptop.
  • euroR
  • Born
  • Born
  • euroR

Post 3+ Months Ago

My Acer Aspire 5612 also started having problems about a month ago. It was purchased in sepetember 2007.

Sometimes it would start but then it would have a problem starting windows and i would have to choose start windows normally or the last good known configuration. Or it would do hard drive check with the blue screen.

It would also do as mentioned above, fan turns on and the power light goes on but blank screen, and sometimes it would make a loud beeping noise.

Has anyone found a solution for this?
  • Stocky
  • Stocky

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don't think I'm nuts....
Got a travelmate myself....

Question... If you all turn over your lappy's, and look into the skrew holes with a flashlight/torch,
how many of you are missing skrews you didn't realize you were missing???
  • Stocky
  • Stocky

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you have to squeeze a corner of your lappy to get it to work, the problem is physical...
My TM was feeling kreeky.. not solid... and I had my rdive slide out when I was removing a DVD.
I mean the whole case slid out.
So I looked at the skrew holes and was missing 5, with 2 others very loose.
Turns out it's a common prob with Acers.
Anything loose will wear.. or pull.. or break... and pulled wires and hdwr will sometimes connect and sometimes "not".

You should all look at physical problems causing your inconsistencies.
GL,
Stocky
  • wiggleyknee
  • Born
  • Born
  • wiggleyknee

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi folks,

I just had the same issue happen tonight with my Acer Aspire 1690. Locked up whilst playing a game, I did a hard reboot, and now it will not turn back on. Tried the Acer recommended power reset as per their support page (it was the only thing about the computer not starting up) - no happy. Anyhow, when I press the power button, the fan starts, and it does the normal whirring and a few HDD chatters then goes completely silent. This is the third big issue I have had with this laptop. First was cracked hinges and blotches on the lcd, sent to acer and they fixed the hinges but not the blotches, then the lcd went (1 month after warranty), so that cost me $500 to fix (probably should have researched more, as I now know it was a pretty easy backlight or lcd board fix), and now this. Anyhow, I feel a little bit ripped off tonight, I've not had these multiple issues with any of my older desktop computers, and It's hard to see a realistic reason why this should happen to a machine you pay $2250 for after only 3 years.

Disapointed Wil
  • I_Hate_ACER
  • Born
  • Born
  • I_Hate_ACER

Post 3+ Months Ago

Apologies in advance for the long post, but it's an importantly detailed one.

I bought my laptop back in March '07, and it worked relatively fine up until taking it in the beginning of January of '08. I had some relatively minor problems/annoyances, with the screen brightness not staying bright, and some driver issues with the web cam interfering with using my canon scanner, but overall pretty good. So then the latch closing the printer broke, and since it was still under warranty I took it into the Acer repair depot in Mississauga. I decided to drive it in and pay the gas myself, because I wanted to make sure it arrived in one piece and that I recieved it in one piece. When I got the laptop back... the latch was fixed, but the computer didn't work. So I had Purolator pick it up this time, and Fed-Ex shipped it back - and when I opened it up, it didn't work immediately, but once I plugged it in it was fine. So I had it working for a couple a weeks... and then it wasn't working again. And to clarify not working, I mean various blue screens, black screens, blinking cursors, etc etc etc. I had a rude rep on the phone tell me it must have been something I installed/didn't install... which is bull. The short of it is, my computer went in for a total of 5 repairs... 3 new motherboards, 2 new harddrives. When I got it back from it's 5th repair, it blew up again within 4hrs. I'm now in the process of getting a new computer, but the one they've offered me is not, in my opinion, equal to the computer that I originally purchased. The representative called me on a Tuesday saying I had been approved, and explained part of the specs to me - but I was about to go to work, so when he asked if that sounded fine, I said "I guess, but can you call me back tomorrow to arrange everything because I have to go to work!" - tomorrow came... no phone calls. I called him at his direct line in Waco, Texas, and he never responded to my messages (and this was a 2nd level representative, not a first responder). So I called again, and went through another 2nd tier rep. He said that I didn't have a choice, that I already said that the laptop was fine, even though I wasn't completely told what I was getting. Left in a helpless situation, I decided to accept the new laptop anyways. So they arranged a Purolator pick up, and I sent it on it's way. So I called on Friday, and the first guy told me that my laptop had been repaired and was ready to be shipped, and I was like WTF? so I talked to a 2nd tier guy who got it sorted out, so he said, and said that he still had to email the repair center and get everything straightened out. So fine. So later that night, I check my email, and I get an email from the repair depot saying that they've shipped off my old laptop! So when I called in Monday morning, the guy, the same guy who never called me back a week prior, said that apparently the service request that had been put in was never cancelled and so the repair depot went to the oldest request number first and repaired it and shipped it off. So then when Fedex showed up at my door that day, I had to refuse the package. And now I remain waiting to get my new, or should I say, replacement refurbished laptop that isn't as good as the one that I originally bought, to show up at my doorstep.

So guess what? Last Tuesday, sick of all Acer's CRAP, I bought myself a nice, Duo Core 2GB Mem 250GB HD Compaq Laptop for $599 from Best Buy, with a 2 year warranty, and I will NEVER deal with Acer again. I'll sell the laptop that I'm getting back - whenever I get it back - to some poor schmuck who I feel sorry for, but nonetheless, will sell to because I need to pay off what I owe since I really couldn't afford to go out and buy a new laptop.

DO NOT EVER BUY ACER. Tell all your friends to never buy one. There is a better deal out there!
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I_Hate_ACER wrote:
So guess what? Last Tuesday, sick of all Acer's CRAP, I bought myself a nice, Duo Core 2GB Mem 250GB HD Compaq Laptop for $599 from Best Buy, with a 2 year warranty, and I will NEVER deal with Acer again.

Hate to break it to you but you bought a laptop from Best Buy. I just hope you didn't get the in store warranty.
  • Fickenaze
  • Born
  • Born
  • Fickenaze

Post 3+ Months Ago

Guess what! Another laptop in the Acer family, Travelmate. Won't boot up, once in a while the bios screen comes up, but it won't load windows. Had a copy of Puppy Linux on my flash drive, and it booted up fine. I'll try to connect my hard drive externally and see if I can at least retrieve my data. Still no real answers to this solution. Arrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhhh
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Fickenaze wrote:
Guess what! Another laptop in the Acer family, Travelmate. Won't boot up, once in a while the bios screen comes up, but it won't load windows. Had a copy of Puppy Linux on my flash drive, and it booted up fine. I'll try to connect my hard drive externally and see if I can at least retrieve my data. Still no real answers to this solution. Arrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhhh

There is an answer, just not one you are willing to hear. Don't buy Acer.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, and I don't believe a study was done - but from my experience Acer has the worst track record for reliability. Extremely poor quality.
  • lovemyacrer
  • Born
  • Born
  • lovemyacrer

Post 3+ Months Ago

I couldn't power on my acer aspire either, tried everything I could think of, thought maybe the motherboard was bad.... I tried everything but the screen lock! It powed up and the fan came on and there were lights but no screen or sounds.... try fn/ scrLK (f12 on my acer) apparently my 4 year old is a techie in training!
  • nikg
  • Born
  • Born
  • nikg

Post 3+ Months Ago

Same to happen to mine. I took everything apart disconnected the BIOS battery and threw it away and after that it started
  • rquesada
  • Born
  • Born
  • rquesada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Finally a place where I can tell my story!

I have an Acer Aspire 3620 (AS3624WXMi), it was very well priced for a budget laptop, including a DVD+RW, and I later updated the memory to the max it supported (2GB DDR).

I acquired it on June 2006, in the U.S.A, and bring it to Costa Rica. In November 2007 something strange happened, the computer would boot up, but nothing appeared in the LCD screen, the backlight was on, but no image showing at all. A couple of resets and it was ready again.

Then on March 2008 the same happened again, only that this time the screen will display something only when it wanted... No deterministic way to make it work has occurred to me!

However, connecting an external monitor does still work, but it goes against the idea of a "portable" computer... So what I have now is a very light desktop computer with an integrated battery.

In the last two days I was unable to see the laptop to post, but typing the correct login and password let me to enter the graphical user interface (I'm using ArchLinux, this laptop boots in text mode, the login asks in console and then I manually enter to the GUI; Xorg).

But today that stopped to work too! I just simply put the laptop between the other computers, connected an ethernet cable to it, deactivated the support for the wireless card and make it play as a desktop remotely accessible using SSH.

Because of it's low power footprint, I will use it as an extra home server with an external USB drive and let my life go on without a laptop until the current trend of ultraportables (Eee, MSI Wind, HP 2133 and the others) produces something that appeals to me (I'm waiting for a VIA Nano powered ultraportable, the small companies deserve an opportunity! in black color, 10" to 11" screen, SATA hard drive, decent wireless support in Linux).

So, Acer is now blacklisted, I have the idea that a computer should last at least two and a half years, I think is a good timeframe to see where the technology is going and what one can expect to buy in the next cycle.

But this laptop lasted only about twenty months! What a waste! I know it was very affordable (Even more as a programming tool), but lasting so little makes it much more expensive!

I wouldn't recommend an Acer product to anybody.
  • freespirit
  • Born
  • Born
  • freespirit

Post 3+ Months Ago

Problems here too.. my advice, stay away from them, and if there is a support group for Acer victims, let me know!

freespirit
  • steve___
  • Born
  • Born
  • steve___

Post 3+ Months Ago

i have the exact same problem.
mine will randomly start at times, safe or normal boot. its obvious they installed a killswitch. the symptoms are EXACTLY THE SAME! it goes to black and continualy beeps.

I will never buy a ACER again and will recomend everyone does the same. i study mechatronics and a lecturer told me lots of companies do this. icant turn the thing off now because i cant afford another lappie, which is essential to an engineering student. and windows update REALLY wants me to restart.
its an aspire 2010
  • remichi
  • Born
  • Born
  • remichi

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi from Holland.
Bought my Acer Travelmate TM2480 laptop in indonesia in december 2006.
for last few months i've also had the problem that computer won't turn on. started with one a week but now it's everyday! very frustrating.

strange thing is, my computer will usually turn on after a while of fiddling. and it will work fine untill i myself turn it off. usually after that it will turn on again immeadiately. laptop will usually have the symptoms in the morning or when it has been turned off for a while.

when only battery is inside -> no lights/no fan/no sound..won't turn on
battery & ac adapter -> no lights/no fan/no sound..won't turn on
only ac adapter -> no lights/no fan/no sound..won't turn on
as said, after some fiddling it will usually work.

does anyone also have these symptoms also: absolutely no sign of life, that the laptop will turn on in the end (miraculously, as if it were the work of god!) and work fine rest of the day? and next day same story?

very strange and frustrating and i think it's time for a new laptop. buying a new motherboard is expensive and waste of time since it's probably just as crap.

not really hoping to find a solution here, just thought i'd inform you of my symptoms
  • remichi
  • Born
  • Born
  • remichi

Post 3+ Months Ago

One more question.

I read about a hardware reset somewhere. By removing battery and ac adapter, and pressing the on/off button for 30 seconds resets something.

what exactly is reset and how does it work....

am not sure if this resetting really works for my laptop, but I always try it a few times.
  • Warrior1957
  • Born
  • Born
  • Warrior1957

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you Remichi. Worked like a charm. glad I found this forum. Also I had a problem recently where I couldn't boot up after installing SP1 for Vista.(Fan would go on and cursor would blink 3 times and then nothing) Acer and Microsoft were of no help at all. After a lot of trial and error I found that when I removed one of my RAM sticks (I had upgraded to 2X 2 GIG)it would boot up fine. Apparently when the laptop goes into hibernate mode it wouldn't come out of it with the full 4 gig loaded. Shutting down the laptop and then reinstalling the RAM stick it would boot up fine after that. Hope this helps.
  • malcolmd1
  • Born
  • Born
  • malcolmd1

Post 3+ Months Ago

Warrior1957 wrote:
Thank you Remichi. Worked like a charm. glad I found this forum. Also I had a problem recently where I couldn't boot up after installing SP1 for Vista.(Fan would go on and cursor would blink 3 times and then nothing) Acer and Microsoft were of no help at all. After a lot of trial and error I found that when I removed one of my RAM sticks (I had upgraded to 2X 2 GIG)it would boot up fine. Apparently when the laptop goes into hibernate mode it wouldn't come out of it with the full 4 gig loaded. Shutting down the laptop and then reinstalling the RAM stick it would boot up fine after that. Hope this helps.

I had a 1 year old aspire 5680 and it wouldn't turn on for the last 2 months. I did what you did and removed one of my ram sticks and IT TURNED ON! Thanks for the tip. It said that it couldn't get out of hibernation mode. But... the problem is now is that ever after i shut down the computer and put back the other ram stick, it won't turn on. Any idea what I can do?
  • MCGERONIMO
  • Born
  • Born
  • MCGERONIMO

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Everyone,

I have got same trouble with one acer aspire 1520 laptop : no access to the bios, black screen, fan running, green led on, etc...
One thing more, when clicking on the board I can ear a bip !

I have tried the clearmos stuff with no more luck !

Does anyone knows how to get the manual repair PDF for this acer ?

So at least I can try the Crocky solution without damaging parts !

Thank's
Mike
  • aj619
  • Born
  • Born
  • aj619

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi all i have had an acer aspire one i think its like the a110 well its the new aspire one and my 1st one has the lights and fan sound and wouldnn't start so i got it replaced under warranty and got another brand new one and 10 days into that one it died and i am getting another one i was saying it was good but now i dont think so
  • aj619
  • Born
  • Born
  • aj619

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/08/acer ... mentPage=2

this thing fixed my problem
  • theshah
  • Born
  • Born
  • theshah

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello all, had same problem with my acer aspire 1691 bought Aug 2005, ie failing to start up, no bios screen, freezing randomley etc...

However I have managed to get mine working again...

I basically set about disconnecting various bits from the motherboard and seeing if it would start up. And hey presto after removing one of the ram memory cards from the motherboard it started up and has never failed to do so since! Its not a problem with the card itself as i tried it in the other slot and it worked fine. It's the slot itself that there is a problem with. My laptop is currently running with only one ram card in place; ok its a little slower than it should be, but for the most part it suits my needs!

I also reloaded windows xp, not sure if this had any positive effect or not, as i'm not very technically minded

Give it a go, I hope this works for some of you.
  • Bgnn32
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Bgnn32
  • Loc: Western Mass

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sounds like the problem is where the AC Adapter plugs into the laptop. You see this a lot where they will break and not charge the battery or power the computer. If you are good with a soldiering iron you should be able to fix it your self.
  • MCGERONIMO
  • Born
  • Born
  • MCGERONIMO

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello Everyone,

Found that my problem was coming from the nvidia video card Geforce FX Go5700.

Here is the link of the topic (in french...) http://tips.pwaite.fr/

In fact, trust me or not, after having disassembly the card I have heated it on both sides with an hairdryer ( this is less risky than Heatguns or ovens...)!

It seems crazy but today it's working !

Kind Regards
MCGeronimo

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 155 posts