ACER laptop does NOT start-up :(

• Gertruman
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Gertruman

Post 3+ Months Ago

Maybe we can start class action lawsuit against Acer?
  • evalia
  • Born
  • Born
  • evalia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I find that most acers are unreliable. I had an Acer desktop eons ago, and it broke down soon enough. I know that many other computer technicians and experts hate acers. My advice is: avoid acers.
  • xcalibur45
  • Born
  • Born
  • xcalibur45

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well here is another sad story of an Acer laptop that died a month after warrenty was expired. I whole heartedly agree that a class action suit should be filed. I would sign up instantly.
  • condeAzul
  • condeAzul

Post 3+ Months Ago

the blinking lights look like a memory problem but it a new laptop. try checking if the memory on it is well but in place remember this laptop are manufacture in a fast built environment so is possible that they did but to memory on the primary slot 1 on is not but right.
  • kariahnna
  • Born
  • Born
  • kariahnna

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello,

I am writing to find out just who is interested in a class action suit and who is not on many forums I have traveled to in the past 2 weeks trying to find out what is wrong with my Acer Aspire 5100. I have since discovered that it is a 60% chance that it is the Motherboard, and a 20% chance that it is the Graphics card, and a 20% chance that it is neither of those and is something else.

The problem with the "something else" is that it will cost me $60.00 $200.00 just to find out what the actual problem is. Then it will cost me another approx. $450.00 to fix it if it is either the Motherboard or the Grahics Card since the Graphics card is part of the motherboard which means the motherboard needs replacing either way. And of course since most all of the hardware components are integrated in the motherboard, that 20% chance of being something else is probably going to be something else on the motherboard anyways.

Age of Computer: 1.5 yrs. (purchased in Aug. 2007)

Symptoms: 1 long beep, 2 short beeps, does nothing else, will not boot up at all.

Actions Tried: Searched for almost 2 weeks straight to find hundreds of people have posted on the internet with the same or similar problems, many talking about joining a class action suit.

Put in a ticket to Acer:
Responded with the -
*pull out the battery, unplug the power cord, hold the power button down for 30 secs, plug the power cord back in, wait for boot up, put battery back in*
This is what most of the posts on forums suggested so I had already tried it, but tried it again just for posterity.
This failed completely as it never booted up.

Acer's Suggestion: Send it in for repair at a cost of approx. $450.00 as it's most likely the motherboard that needs replacing.

PROBLEM: I spent $600.00 on this computer less than 2 years ago. I have read hundreds of posts on various forums that claim this exact problem as well as hundreds of posts with similar problems, all spanning dozens of Acer Notebook/Laptop models.

BIGGER PROBLEM: The posts mentioned above have stemmed all the way back to the year 2005!!

BIGGEST PROBLEM: Why are we having to pay for a machine problem that is obviously not user error or just a lemon part! This is an ongoing problem that Acer has not bothered to address to fix and those of us out of warrenty for a very short time are basically expected to forfeit not only the cost of the Laptop, but also expected to pay to repair an ongoing problem that shouldn't even still be there!

RESULTS:
I am looking to start a Class Action Suit against Acer for the above mentioned problems. I am not sure yet how to even go about this, nor do I have any information as to what will happen, could happen, or if it even CAN happen. I only know I am going to look into this matter and start one if at all possible if there is enough support (people also looking to do something about their loss of computer and money invested).

WHAT CAN YOU DO TO HELP:
If you are one of the many who have been struck with any of the above problems mentioned or similar to it, then I want to hear from you and start some type of contact list so I have something to go on when I try talking with some lawyers to see what we can do.

Please email me with at least your name and a valid email. If you are uncomfortable giving your ISP or main email, feel free to open a new email account at Gmail, or Yahoo or Hotmail or wherever so we can correspond. I promise your information will go no farther than my contact list and my compilation of information for submitting to a lawyer for proof that there is probable cause for a Class Action Suit.

IF you are anyone that has any ideas on how to go about starting a Class Action suit I would also like to hear from you please. Feel free to email me so I can get this rolling A.S.A.P

My Name is Jo Ann Rice
My email is kariahnna1@yahoo.com

Please do not spam me, as I'm sure I'll have enough email coming in for this not to have to deal with spam too :P

Thank you for your time and please spread the word to any other sites or forums or people you are aware of having Acer problems similar to above.

NOTE: This would only be valid for those of us that are out of warranty, so please if you are still under warranty contact Acer and get it fixed! :P
  • eggplant
  • Born
  • Born
  • eggplant

Post 3+ Months Ago

My notebook stops working just after 1 week of the warranty expired!!!!
  • Arcticmatt
  • Born
  • Born
  • Arcticmatt

Post 3+ Months Ago

Get on twitter and look me up @Arcticmatt. This problem is not just about those laptops out of warranty. Mine was in the repair shop 22 days and came back with exactly the same problem after they had replaced the motherboard 3 times!
I am going to hound this company until they fix their damn faulty machines and reimburse everyone for repairs, lost time and original equipment cost.
  • lamplat007
  • Born
  • Born
  • lamplat007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Same here. I bought an acer aspire 6935 a month ago.It worked fine until after a week the 3.5 jack broke.I took it for service and they replaced the motherboard.After that the startup problem began(black screen, ligths on, fans on).Not wanting to send it for service again, i contacted them by phone.They ignored me until i started shouting :evil: at them and their advise was to restore it to factory default and wait for a few days.I dont want to start taking the laptop apart,i just want it to work without prombles like HP, Sony and Dell laptops.But as i found out from this forum thats not going to happen.I just threw 1000 euros for nothing.Shame for Acer.Just cheap rubbish.
(Sorry for my English,i am from Greece.)
  • lindsay
  • Student
  • Student
  • lindsay

Post 3+ Months Ago

this is the problem due to the heat up the laptop. after heating the laptop and the ram may be get damaged . if the laptop got more heat than the problem should be the processor or the ram problem.
after damage the ram laptop or the computer will not start.
  • lindsay
  • Student
  • Student
  • lindsay

Post 3+ Months Ago

the problem should be in the motherboard and the ram only.because computer try to start up but unable to laod the windows so check the motherboard and the ram only .

after that try to check the processor and the power connections properly.
  • lindsay
  • Student
  • Student
  • lindsay

Post 3+ Months Ago

your motherboard is not working properly due to which when the computer starts up and try to load the windows but the motherboard does not work so that the windows not load and the computer shows the black screen. try to plug out and plug in of rams . so first check the ram and the IDE cables .

go to the bios setup and check the hard disk connectivity.
  • jonboy1970
  • Born
  • Born
  • jonboy1970

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi there.
I'm a new member and i also have a Acer laptop with the dreaded boot up problem.
Model:Acer Travelmate 2450
Bios has the last one available from the Acer Website.
Symptom: Turn on, power light comes on, processor fan starts up hard drive light comes on, nothing there after.
I have stripped down this laptop 3 times now and for those of you that have the same symptoms i have stated then i might be able to help.

Firstly i can say the fault you have is to do with the motherboard.

I have played around with the motherboard touching various components and there is no signs of any damage to the motherboard, and no damage to any of the chips heat damage etc etc.

I have got this laptop to boot up after playing around with certain areas of the motherboard.

This particular model doesn't have a removable bios battery but if your model does then by all means remove this first.

Ok so your bios should be reset and the machine will boot up.

If not then you will have to do what i have done.
Remove the power supply lead and then remove the battery.
Remove the main panel which should reveal the processor fan and heatsink etc.
Remove the processor fan then the heatsink assembly, this model is using screws numbered from 1-6 to hold it in place, remove in reverse order starting with 6 then 5,4,3,2,1.
Push firmly on the Ati Graphics chip first (i also recommend removing the square piece or tape off the chip to prevent heat build up in future use).
Then do the same with the Processor Intel M on this model.

Refit the heatsink with the screw in the correct order, on this lappy doing this got this machine to boot up for the first time in 5 days bearing in mind that i had tried to boot up about 200 times previous.
So i would say my board deffinetly has a dry solder joint in that area.

Don't forget to clean out your fan and heatsink whilst they are removed.

To add i had got this machine to boot up after removing the battery without a power lead attached then just reconnecting the power lead, once booted then i would reconnect the battery.

Unfortunately this was a work around and no a fix so in the end i had to push on the graphics chip for which i think is the guilty party here.

Like others have mentioned here the machine wont boot if it can not detect the graphics chip, my betting as i have said before is a dry solder joint around this area.

Sorry for the essay but i hope i have helped shine some light on this annoying fault.

Sad thing is here i have 2 acer laptops in our household the other one being a Aspire 5315 which already is playing up with the stupid plastic mouse pad which is intermittant.
Bottom line... stay away from Acer.
  • Caipirinho
  • Born
  • Born
  • Caipirinho

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had the same problem but i fixed it ACER ASPIRE 4310 (Green Light OK, Fan OK, Power Meter OK, but BLACK SCREEN, not even the ACER screen) I just remove the battery and plugged the power supply and woila!! mAYbe it entered in safe mode, I dont know :s, just sharing my exprience
  • My Acer Died
  • Born
  • Born
  • My Acer Died

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
I found that fiddling with the power input plug while repeatedly slamming the litte power button works, but it usually takes 15 minutes.

Quote:
ive been having the same problem, but mine only seems to work if i squeeze the bottom left and corner really hard, and then it boots on. if i let go of the corner it freezes in all sorts of weird lines.

Man, I swear I registered to this forum JUST to be able to thank the two people who posted the above two comments. They made me laugh for about 10 minutes straight. Had tears raining from the laughter.

I shouldn't be laughing cause as you might be able to tell from my username, my Acer Aspire 1680 died tonight.

Symptoms:

I click on power button, it lights up green
Green LED shows power and battery are working
I hear harddrive and fan start, then after about 3 seconds it all goes quiet.

I tried doing what people in this thread suggested, including the 30 second hold power button trick, it didnt work. I tried removing and swapping my 2 RAM modules, no luck.

Tomorrow I'm going to try and buy an external HDD enclosure for the HD and I pray to the Gods of Computers that the HD is still fine. I couldnt care less about the PC, the most important thing is the data I have on the HD, it's worth a lot more than the Laptop itself.

I bought a Asus just the other day, a Netbook EeePC for 400 bucks that's more powerful than this crappy Acer Aspire that I paid 1300 bucks for that died on me.

Maybe it got jealous.

Oh, and did I mention the Lightscribe DVD burner died on me months ago too?

Today I officiall join the Acer Haters Fanclub.

Oh, and if anyone has found a solution other than squeezing, fiddling or slamming components, please let me know.

Man...LOL still makes me laugh what people have posted in this thread.

My Acer Died
  • MD1160
  • Born
  • Born
  • MD1160

Post 3+ Months Ago

The solution from Acer is:
1. Remove Power cord
2. Remove Battery
3. Hold Power button down for 30 seconds(more like 3 minutes)

Replace battery and plug in AC and reboot.

I got the same problem with a Aspire 1650, sweet machine but now only good for a paper weight(might expensive one at that)!

That is the response I got.

My machine would power up and all and you can hear Windows XP loading in the background but nothing on the monitor, my first thought was the graphics chip(correct) but in order to repair it, you need to replace the mother board at 300.00 without labour and tax.

Here is another little bit of heads up...the preloaded software for the CD/DVD writer was only trialware!
Why would you install a CD/DVD with only trial software?
Like buying a car and finding out your keys no longer work because you didn't get a set of full version keys from the dealer at 10,000 every 2 yrs.

Anyways thinking about opening it up and putting in a new board meanwhile using an older laptop that cost me 450 and has been running for 4 yrs without a problem.

What's wrong with this picture...2 yr old laptop = trashed
4 yr old laptop = still keeps on running like the "Energizer Bunny" !
  • Never Acer Again
  • Born
  • Born
  • Never Acer Again

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi all, greetings from Norway. This is my story (sorry for long post->2 acer laptops):

Acer Aspire 3000:
3 weeks after I purchased it, the fan started to make allot of noise. Except for the noise, it worked. Then when I checked the CPU fan later, I found that it was mounted on a small plastic thingy that had melted due to heat from the CPU. Also some dead pixels that started as 1, is now counting 20.
Since I had allot of cash this time, I purchased a new ACER with better specs (yeah, I know.. how stupid can I be?):

Acer Aspire 5520G:
Early symptoms: Webcam, mic and dvd-rom *disappeared* from device manager / bios. Took a while before I noticed this, as I don't use any of these often. It was working OK (some heat issues, but usually OK), so didn't use the warranty to fix this.

A couple of months after the warranty was expired, I could not boot to BIOS. Orange flashing power led. Tried the battery/ac steps, no change. Called Acer support and was met by a grumpy old hog, and I asked specifically not to get anything done before I had received a estimate of the job. 1 month later I got the laptop back with an invoice on 100$ for DUST CLEANING! I said no way, *peach* you guys! I'm still waiting on a call for that invoice..

After the "dust cleaning" I was able to boot my computer again and it worked normal for 1 day, then, as many others in this thread; no access to the bios, black screen, fan running, green led on.. Searched google, and here I am..

As described earlier by others, when it boots normally, it works untill I shut it down. (read: works = at a random time the mouse and keyboard stop responding, and it seems the PC has frozen, but when pluggin in a usb keyboard and mouse, it's all good....)

Ahww.. Don't you all just love this <acer-feeling> ;)
  • DosD
  • Born
  • Born
  • DosD

Post 3+ Months Ago

Found this forum and couldn't belevie that most got the same problem.
My situation was even funnier, my acer Aspire's 5520 motherboard was replaced 3 times(could you believe that?) until eventualy warranty time finished and the damn thing is started to act in it's old way...
I found a solution to stop the screen blinking by puting peace of plastic under the cover(next too fan), but in some misterious way cd-rom disapeared( works as a coffe cup holder only..)

Hate damn acer
  • fugazi07
  • Born
  • Born
  • fugazi07

Post 3+ Months Ago

Another frustrated Acer user here.

I bought an Acer Extensa. Installed Linux.
It worked fine but about a month ago,it started acting very weird. When I turn the laptop on, everything works normally. But when I shut it down, it won´t start up again. No power, no sound, nothing. I unplug the power cable and plug it back many times. Nothing happens. It usually takes 2 to 7 hours till the power is on again. It is very very frustrating. I noticed that the problem begins after I got my internet. Could it be some conflicts with the hardwares? Shall I reinstall Ubuntu again?
Thanks!
  • Trunkmonkey2007
  • Born
  • Born
  • Trunkmonkey2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have an external link to an ACER Service manual for you lot but this forum won't let me post external links. Anyhow you'll find it at a site called, scribd dot com/doc/19072019/Acer-Aspire-16903510-Service-Manual

Replace the dot with a .

and don't forget the www

Hope it helps.
  • mikalis
  • Born
  • Born
  • mikalis

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi guys hope this helps I got a s/h aspire 1640 sometimes touch pad stopped working /wifi/keyboard etc all random checked hard drive memory no joy the fault was simple removed battery left it out computer worked without a fault ordered new battery from hk 27 euros run perfect
regards mike
  • theoysta
  • Born
  • Born
  • theoysta

Post 3+ Months Ago

Same thing happened to my Aspire One netbook. One night it just froze on me and when I restarted the fan and power lights came on but nothing on the monitor. I ran through all the tests with an Acer tech over the phone but none of them worked so I mailed in to get fixed. A few days later they said they wouldn't fix it because the shift key had fallen off and they don't partial repairs. So now I'm thinking about just buying a lenovo ideapad for about $130 less than I paid for this Acer, since most likely it seems like the motherboard fried. And from everything I've read, fixing the motherboard will cost at least 150.
  • son_of_OB1
  • Born
  • Born
  • son_of_OB1

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have an acer extensa 4620-4605. I like it very much. Vista machine. Several weeks ago, it kept shutting down on its own. The event viewer said someting about could not start parallel port. Found a like to change something in the registry. Anyway, it seemed fixed for a while. Then it would not boot at all. Reloaded windows and it was fine until yesterday. It would not boot clear up. It went so far, went to a screen to repair windowns or start nornally. It would not do either. So I tried to reload windows. It would load the files, and then quit. So I loaded dos 6.2, reformatted the drive and it works just fine in DOS. Then I tried to reload windows and nothing changed. It would not take the 2nd disk of the two disk set. I tried to load windows 98, 2000, xp and they all gave the message of non-system disk. So I tried to restore from the factory disks again and it would not finish loading files before it bombed out. I loaded dos to test the disk. It seems fine. Do these machines have some sort of heat problems/ The rebooting on its own seemed to start after it had been on for a long time and it seemed to be cured after it was shut off 3 hours
  • Garzini
  • Born
  • Born
  • Garzini

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was given an acer aspire 1520 and after a few months the screen went black, and I could get no visuals from it at all. I also got nothing from plugging an external monitor.

after looking for an nVidia GeForce GO 5700 on ebay for year and a bit (the graphics are on a separate 2" square board" I came across a french website, and apparently, a common fault with that board is a solder joint popping loose.

The solution was the weirdest I had ever heard of. put the graphics card in the oven at 150 degrees for 3 minutes. I thought "I've got nothing to loose". when I plugged it all back in again, the screen was all white. Progress!!! it was all whit because I hadn't pushed the inverter connection in properly. I did that and now have a perfectly working laptop again.

And if it goes wrong again, back to the oven!
  • AML
  • Born
  • Born
  • AML

Post 3+ Months Ago

For all those who were not able to solve acer startup problems, i have tried just about everything, flashing bios to startup disc to pushing and shoving the bloody thing around as was mentioned on other forums.

as a 48 year old woman with no technical background or education, i opened up the laptop,(why not the thing did not work anyway) tried all the obvious connections, and afters lots of trying i found out the little bios battery came lose at the slightest touch, i simply got some sticky tape and stuck it on the top of the bios bettery and it still works ....
  • InDeepShitNow
  • Born
  • Born
  • InDeepShitNow

Post 3+ Months Ago

We have an Acer that isn't even 6 months old and it is doing this same thing. Except I get five flashes from my battery lcd. Comes on then shuts down immediately. Mostly only staying on for up to two seconds. I don't even get to see my BIOS splash screen. I've sent it of to Miami for a so-called specialist to look at the MB. He says there's nothing wrong with it, I think otherwise. Hell, if the HD was in bad shape, it would at least get passed the BIOS screen! Anyone figure out this problem to find a solution? I totally agree, I regret ever buying this Acer.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

My Acer has started to play up a bit recently. The occiasional random turning off is a bit irriting despite the computer being plugged into the wall and the batter aparently charging.

I noticed issues with the computer when i first got it, but i didn't think alot of it because at the time i was travelling Australia (where i bought the machine from). It wasn't until i got back to Scotland and started using it more that the issues started arising. First it was the sound, then the actual running performance. Then several other issues that have come and gone since.

The random turning off seems to be happening more frequently. I fully expect it to stop working within the next year or so as the machine is about 2 years old now.

I was a diehard laptop fan until i got this comp. I am more into PC's nowadays as you get alot more for your money and you know that if something does decide to go on it you can replace it without much problems.

Do not buy an Acer.
  • yzman
  • Born
  • Born
  • yzman

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just joined this forum to share my sucsess in getting my Acer to work. Really hope it works for you.

Just bought a used Acer Aspire 5003 for parts or repair for a good price. When I tried to start it I got the symptoms that everyone here knows all to well. I tried everything listed here with no luck.

I fixed this laptop by first reseating the ram making sure it was seated correctly. This got me as far as the Acer screen upon boot up but would still shut off on its own.

After further inspection i noticed that i could get a extra turn on the screws holding down the heat sink and the cpu. Tightened the screws down and the computer worked great ever since.

I know this wont work for everyone but its another thing to add to the list of things to try. This might explain pressing on the case at the bottom left hand corner that has worked for some other people. So double checking the ram, tightening the heat sink down or even reseating the cpu may work for you.Your cpu may not be seating properly and not getting a good connection

Best of luck everyone.
  • InDeepShitNow
  • Born
  • Born
  • InDeepShitNow

Post 3+ Months Ago

yzman wrote:
Just joined this forum to share my sucsess in getting my Acer to work. Really hope it works for you.

Just bought a used Acer Aspire 5003 for parts or repair for a good price. When I tried to start it I got the symptoms that everyone here knows all to well. I tried everything listed here with no luck.

I fixed this laptop by first reseating the ram making sure it was seated correctly. This got me as far as the Acer screen upon boot up but would still shut off on its own.

After further inspection i noticed that i could get a extra turn on the screws holding down the heat sink and the cpu. Tightened the screws down and the computer worked great ever since.

I know this wont work for everyone but its another thing to add to the list of things to try. This might explain pressing on the case at the bottom left hand corner that has worked for some other people. So double checking the ram, tightening the heat sink down or even reseating the cpu may work for you.Your cpu may not be seating properly and not getting a good connection

Best of luck everyone.

Will try this when I get my laptop back from Miami, if it''s not fixed yet! Thanks.
  • AML
  • Born
  • Born
  • AML

Post 3+ Months Ago

Further inspection of my acer 7520 it now appears the the bios battery underneath the type board, is slightly lose, i stuck it down with sticky tape and it works ever since, for those where the acer doen not even pass the bios that might work
  • InDeepShitNow
  • Born
  • Born
  • InDeepShitNow

Post 3+ Months Ago

You know, it's cool that we're finding ways to make these laptops going, but the messed up part about it all is that they shouldn't even be taking a dump in the first place! I will NEVER EVER EVAR BUY ANOTHER ACER EVER AGAIN!I oughtta get this sucker going and sell it. Go buy me a real laptop for the money I paid for this one!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 155 posts