I/O device error for external and flash HDs

• Wozza365
  • Born
  • Born
  • Wozza365

Post 3+ Months Ago

OMG i <3 humproast, ur method of shaking it a bit worked!!!! im not even joking i unplugged my 1TB ext HDD, shook it a little (didnt wanna damage my important files that werent backed up) and bam plugged it back in (took a while for some reason, maybe because the dodgy partition was FAT32/0 and it worked, im creating a backup now :)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• bairn666
  • Born
  • Born
  • bairn666

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've tried the chkdsk thing and I get the following message

Access denied as you do not have sufficient priveliges. you have to invoke this utility running in elevated mode.

Please help
  • bairn666
  • Born
  • Born
  • bairn666

Post 3+ Months Ago

Update.

I have managed to open command prompt as an administrator and i am now getting this message,

The drive, the path or the file name is not valid.

Sometimes you just want to scream!
  • bairn666
  • Born
  • Born
  • bairn666

Post 3+ Months Ago

Finally managed run chkdsk. Thanks
  • tpma
  • Born
  • Born
  • tpma

Post 3+ Months Ago

This worked for me, with chkdsk :F /f ...
thank you so much to ICase ! :salut: ! Peace, Love, Harmony

And I thank you OZZU for this site.
  • Rascaljay
  • Born
  • Born
  • Rascaljay

Post 3+ Months Ago

I Tried every suggestion listed on this thread but none worked. I put ALL my data on the external drive and many of these files are irreplaceable. It worked fine last night but now won't read. The cmd.exe can't find it. I tried plugging it into my laptop and although it showed as a drive (E:), it wouldn't bring up any files and gave me an error message as well. If I can't get the drive to work, how can I recover my files? Thanks.
  • RainbowBlues
  • Born
  • Born
  • RainbowBlues

Post 3+ Months Ago

THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU

I have been getting I/O device error from my mp3 player for so long and have been desperate enough to access it and change my music (It has Miley Cyrus on it D:) that I was so close to formatting it. CHKDSK K: /f did it for me!!!
  • ragez0r
  • Born
  • Born
  • ragez0r

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi, sorry to bump up an old thread.. but i have a somewhat similar problem. i fished out a notebook hd out of well.. yeah a notebook hehe, the notebook had windows and linux on 2 separate partitions, so i jam it into my usb Hard Drive Dock and start erasing the partitions till i have 2 left. 1 is 13 gig (healhty partition) and the other is a 215 gig unformatted partition.. everytime i try to format that 215 gig partition.. it sais formatting for like 30 minutes and then sais i/o device error or something, i tried the chkdisk d: /f and it said "chkdsk is not available for RAW drives.".

so is the HD broken ? or is it because it had Linux ?

it worked fine in the notebook
  • ragez0r
  • Born
  • Born
  • ragez0r

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmm.. nevermind.. it seems im capable of formatting the Hard drive as exFAT.. im assuming thats the old Fat32...

i guess. as long as its still functional.. i dont need help...

thanks anyway
  • Araluen
  • Born
  • Born
  • Araluen

Post 3+ Months Ago

Like a few of the other people have already asked, how on earth do you get the chkdsk cmd to work on fixing a corrupted RAW file?! I've got LOADS of my old photography on there that I DON'T want to loose :\ That, and a lot of other files too. Had to get my laptop sent away for repairs, so I'd wiped everything and moved it all over to the HD << bad idea that was. How lame, finding out that something that's meant to keep all your stuff safe, backfires right in your face. >< Any help would be incredibly appreciated!
  • ffedu
  • Born
  • Born
  • ffedu

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, a couple of questions. I have a Micro SD card that has some videos taken with a JVC Picsio Cam. I can watch the videos on the cam (using a SD adapter) but when I hook the micro SD to the computer by any means (card reader, computer mode on the camera itself) I get the I/O message.

I see that some of you got your problems solved with the chkdsk from the CMD. My questions are:

-Did anybody had it work with a SD or flash card?
-None of the files are deleted if the chkdsk works, does it? I mean, it does not format the drive or anything, right?

Thanks in advance!
  • rickycooldude
  • Born
  • Born
  • rickycooldude

Post 3+ Months Ago

I joined this community only to thank IcaseI. Ran the command as he mentioned..and it worked. Bingo!!!!

IcaseI, a BIG Thank you...perhaps Thank you is a very small word to you. You saved my 1TB external HDD which had importantly pictures clicked since 20-25 years to recent ones!!!

Background (Why I'm I so happy): I tried all Free Data Recovery software as suggested by few forums and finally contacted & fixed an appointment with Data Recovery service to pick up my HDD and recover data (S$ 300). Meanwhile, I had to delay for a day (the pick up of my HDD) because I had a meeting at different location and I was also looking around all over internet for any fixes. This is how I landed in ozzu and this post.

Thank you,
Ricky
  • hahuyduo
  • Born
  • Born
  • hahuyduo

Post 39 days ago

thank you ICaseI :3

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 43 posts