I/O device error for external and flash HDs

• Wozza365
  • Born
  • Born
  • Wozza365

Post 3+ Months Ago

OMG i <3 humproast, ur method of shaking it a bit worked!!!! im not even joking i unplugged my 1TB ext HDD, shook it a little (didnt wanna damage my important files that werent backed up) and bam plugged it back in (took a while for some reason, maybe because the dodgy partition was FAT32/0 and it worked, im creating a backup now :)
  • bairn666
  • Born
  • Born
  • bairn666

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've tried the chkdsk thing and I get the following message

Access denied as you do not have sufficient priveliges. you have to invoke this utility running in elevated mode.

Please help
  • bairn666
  • Born
  • Born
  • bairn666

Post 3+ Months Ago

Update.

I have managed to open command prompt as an administrator and i am now getting this message,

The drive, the path or the file name is not valid.

Sometimes you just want to scream!
  • bairn666
  • Born
  • Born
  • bairn666

Post 3+ Months Ago

Finally managed run chkdsk. Thanks
  • tpma
  • Born
  • Born
  • tpma

Post 3+ Months Ago

This worked for me, with chkdsk :F /f ...
thank you so much to ICase ! :salut: ! Peace, Love, Harmony

And I thank you OZZU for this site.
  • Rascaljay
  • Born
  • Born
  • Rascaljay

Post 3+ Months Ago

I Tried every suggestion listed on this thread but none worked. I put ALL my data on the external drive and many of these files are irreplaceable. It worked fine last night but now won't read. The cmd.exe can't find it. I tried plugging it into my laptop and although it showed as a drive (E:), it wouldn't bring up any files and gave me an error message as well. If I can't get the drive to work, how can I recover my files? Thanks.
  • RainbowBlues
  • Born
  • Born
  • RainbowBlues

Post 3+ Months Ago

THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU

I have been getting I/O device error from my mp3 player for so long and have been desperate enough to access it and change my music (It has Miley Cyrus on it D:) that I was so close to formatting it. CHKDSK K: /f did it for me!!!
  • ragez0r
  • Born
  • Born
  • ragez0r

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi, sorry to bump up an old thread.. but i have a somewhat similar problem. i fished out a notebook hd out of well.. yeah a notebook hehe, the notebook had windows and linux on 2 separate partitions, so i jam it into my usb Hard Drive Dock and start erasing the partitions till i have 2 left. 1 is 13 gig (healhty partition) and the other is a 215 gig unformatted partition.. everytime i try to format that 215 gig partition.. it sais formatting for like 30 minutes and then sais i/o device error or something, i tried the chkdisk d: /f and it said "chkdsk is not available for RAW drives.".

so is the HD broken ? or is it because it had Linux ?

it worked fine in the notebook
  • ragez0r
  • Born
  • Born
  • ragez0r

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmm.. nevermind.. it seems im capable of formatting the Hard drive as exFAT.. im assuming thats the old Fat32...

i guess. as long as its still functional.. i dont need help...

thanks anyway
  • Araluen
  • Born
  • Born
  • Araluen

Post 3+ Months Ago

Like a few of the other people have already asked, how on earth do you get the chkdsk cmd to work on fixing a corrupted RAW file?! I've got LOADS of my old photography on there that I DON'T want to loose :\ That, and a lot of other files too. Had to get my laptop sent away for repairs, so I'd wiped everything and moved it all over to the HD << bad idea that was. How lame, finding out that something that's meant to keep all your stuff safe, backfires right in your face. >< Any help would be incredibly appreciated!
  • ffedu
  • Born
  • Born
  • ffedu

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, a couple of questions. I have a Micro SD card that has some videos taken with a JVC Picsio Cam. I can watch the videos on the cam (using a SD adapter) but when I hook the micro SD to the computer by any means (card reader, computer mode on the camera itself) I get the I/O message.

I see that some of you got your problems solved with the chkdsk from the CMD. My questions are:

-Did anybody had it work with a SD or flash card?
-None of the files are deleted if the chkdsk works, does it? I mean, it does not format the drive or anything, right?

Thanks in advance!
  • rickycooldude
  • Born
  • Born
  • rickycooldude

Post 3+ Months Ago

I joined this community only to thank IcaseI. Ran the command as he mentioned..and it worked. Bingo!!!!

IcaseI, a BIG Thank you...perhaps Thank you is a very small word to you. You saved my 1TB external HDD which had importantly pictures clicked since 20-25 years to recent ones!!!

Background (Why I'm I so happy): I tried all Free Data Recovery software as suggested by few forums and finally contacted & fixed an appointment with Data Recovery service to pick up my HDD and recover data (S$ 300). Meanwhile, I had to delay for a day (the pick up of my HDD) because I had a meeting at different location and I was also looking around all over internet for any fixes. This is how I landed in ozzu and this post.

Thank you,
Ricky
  • solvoanimus
  • Born
  • Born
  • solvoanimus

Post 3+ Months Ago

PLEASE HELP

I want to try out ICaseI's solution but my Drive doesn't have a Drive letter anymore. What can i do? OMG i have so much important data on that external drive :O
  • sula
  • Born
  • Born
  • sula

Post 3+ Months Ago

IcaseI

I have a 64 gb sd card.. also tried the chkdsk method but its telling me that its a RAW drive and it cannot be accesed, what does tha mean..? And what should i do ...?

Any advices would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance! :)
Attachments:
151++2+.PNG

FYI

• jdw987
  • Born
  • Born
  • jdw987

Post 80 days ago

I tried using Command Prompt to run Check Disc and it says cannot open device for direct access. I'm running Windows 7. The hard drive is running and not making any noise. I can access the external drive through the properties and it shows the amount of disc space that is used. It is a Segate 1tb external hard drive. Can someone tell me what to try. I have a lot of files on that drive I need to save.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 45 posts