resolution "out of range" for BIOS

• rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

well thats the problem. My monitor shows "out of range" (the monitor-generated error message) during boot up until windows starts loading. After this everythin works fine.

I know my monitor doesn't suport high resolutions, but this should not be the problem.

I'm not 100% sure when this started happening, but I know I booted into linux and got all of the boot messages on my screen. But now nothing until I get into windows.

Any Idea people?
  • DuckIT
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: London, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow thats weird man! Never seen that before. Especially strange as you'd expect the BIOS to be low resolution rather than high!!

Only things that spring to mind are the obvious: Video card problem or maybe try and flash the BIOS? I'd try the monitor on another PC to rule that out (maybe its on its way out) Try and reset the monitor if it has user settings that can be saved?

If you boot into Dos does that work? Not sure exactly what that would tell you though, but if you can't then you might have problems flashing the BIOS if you felt that would help.

Scratching my head otherwise though!!

S
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Wow thats weird man!

You're telling me!

I can't see how the graphics card is the problem, as I said the gfx works fine once it is loaded. I don't see why it would not display in 640x480px :?

um, could I reset the mobo back to factory defaults using the jumpers? I'm not too hot on hardware to be honest.

Quote:
maybe its on its way out
that sounds about right - if I remember correctly the warranty ran out at the end of april :roll:
  • Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: places..

Post 3+ Months Ago

aww that sucks :(

Again with all this monitor problems o.o;;!

Did what you say worked out?
Im thinking like he is maybe 'defective' monitor
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

@foxy: huh?
  • DuckIT
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: London, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
um, could I reset the mobo back to factory defaults using the jumpers? I'm not too hot on hardware to be honest.

Yeah they normally have a CMOS reset on them where you change a jumper position, reboot & wait for it to bleep or something then shut it down and put the jumper back how it was. Try looking in the manual or the website for the board or post details here and i'll see if I can see it.

Quote:
that sounds about right - if I remember correctly the warranty ran out at the end of april

I swear they build timers in these days so they break when its a month out of warranty! Its a conspiricy! :shock:

S
  • HiDensity
  • HiDensity

Post 3+ Months Ago

well trying to solve the same problem i came across this thread. figured i'd chim in w/ what problems i had. my problem is identical w/ yours. over-ranger error while posting but works fine once windows display driver is loaded. the problem is not my LCD. and i assume you have an lcd as well. becuase you will find that you wont have this issue w/ a crt. what has happened is that video cards have a normal default resolution for bios. it is usually very low. The problem i was having is that the vertical and horizantal frequency outputted by my video card in bios was all cracked out. it was some non-standard frequency. and you can find if yours is doing that by taking and CRT w/ an OSD (on screen display) and booting into bios. looking around in your OSD and some where it should tell you either the res or the 2 freqs. the issue is LCDs will only operate w/ in certain resolutions and frequencies, where as CRTs can be forced into almost any. so the problem is not your LCD (which is what i thought was my problem too) it is infact some setting for your video card, be it in the bios or in the firmware of the card. This is why once the windows display driver is loaded, everything works fine. becuase now the card is outputting a standard res that is supported. I am still looking into how to solve the problem. but will repost when a solution is found. hope this helps.
-HiDensity
  • lab
  • Born
  • Born
  • lab

Post 3+ Months Ago

Got the same problem over here. this anyone find a solution?
  • twmspro
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

actually your wrong hidensity because i have a crt and it was at 1280x51024 one day and it said the same thing. I've read up and it says its most likely a problem with the refresh rate. Try setting a more compatible refresh rate.
  • MOC
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Ocean City , Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yea ,you could by pressing F8 on Boot ,go into (safe mode with VGA enabled) I think it's the 5th one down on the safe boot menue.

Then that will alow you to go to desktop ,and reset the refresh rate in
the (click on Monitor tab ) then after you apply it there,go over to your
video card maker ,and open that up and set it there and hit reply

Then reboot,

ps ,,If your not running a Nvidia ,or ATI card .lol you must be partying
likes it's 1999.
  • twmspro
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

i know
i got it fixed
now im afraid it will happen again
all i had to do is reboot and it was fixed
it happened while i was in photoshop cs
  • templeofboom
  • Born
  • Born
  • templeofboom

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, I'm having the same problem... only the bios boot screen gives the error message. Once it loads into windows it's fine.

Radeon 9200SE with a Daewoo LM1530A TFT. Not sure how to set the video card behavior for dos-mode/bios bootup, because it works just fine in windows...

Suggestions?
  • MOC
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Ocean City , Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Funny how old threads pop back up ,also I forgot to say way back when ,
that you having an AGP card versus a PCI card you should go into your bios anyway, and select first ( Integrated Peripherals ) then in that menue select (Initial Display First) PCI is chosen by default ,but you what to change it to ( onboard/AGP ) will also give a little quicker boot up also ,since thats what you have ( AGP Radeon 9200SE ).
  • Darkan9el
  • Born
  • Born
  • Darkan9el
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have just had a similar problem, so thought i would share my solution.

I was attempting to install windows ME... don't ask! anyway after a BIOS jumper reset I got the infamous 'OUT OF RANGE' issue, all I did was pull the power out of the monitor for a few seconds and plugged it back in... and as if by magic I got my screen back.

PS: this was a TFT monitor

Best regards Lee

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 14 posts