Spilled water on laptop and it will not work - Can I fix?

• crazyimport
  • crazyimport

Post 3+ Months Ago

Someone help me...I spilled water on my labtop and now it won't work. Is there anything I can do, or Im basically screwed...Please help!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

How much water?

I had a friend who spilled beer on his laptop and it didn't work either. So we took the entire laptop apart and cleaned up the mess that was inside. After that we put it back together and it worked!

Good luck.
  • CasTiger
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, I just read this on a PC help site for water cooling a CPU. It's very funny !

<SNIP>
I decided this weekend to try and quiten my PC by following some other members lead and going down the water cooling road. The fans on my PC were really starting to drive me mad

The first thing that I did was to remove all the fans. The one on the processor and graphics card were no problem but the one in the power unit was a bugger to get out.

The most difficult part was sealing all the ventilitation openings in the PC case with silicon. I also put silicon all around the joints on the PC case. The smell of silicon was dreadful but when my wife complained I told her to be patent as it will be worth it when we have a completely silent PC.

Because I had completely sealed the PC case the only opening near top was the DVD drive. So I opened that and put the small hose I had purchased specially for the job into the DVD drive as far as it would go. With what I can only describe as great excitement and anticipation, I turned on the water. It really is amazing just how long it took before the case was complete full, and boy was it heavy. That didn't really bother me as I didn't intend to be moving the PC anyway.

The big moment had arrived so I called in my wife and mother in law (who was visiting) and I announced "prepare to hear nothing!" and flicked the switch on the socket on the wall.

Before I could even press the power button on front of the PC, with a loud bang, the whole place was plunged into darkness

I knew that it was only the tripswitch so I told my onlookers not to panic and I ran out to the hall to turn the trip switch back on. But can u believe it, it wouldn't stay on. After five attempts I decided to try unplugging the PC and would you believe...yes the trip switch stayed on. My conclusion: the PC must have in some way been causing the problem.

After about an hour of tries I finally decided to abandon the whole idea of water cooling and emptied the water out of the PC, put back in the fans (except the fan in the power unit, I had broken that one getting it out) and tried the pc AGAIN. IT STILL CAUSED THE TRIP SWTICH TO BLOW!

My PC is completely buggered thanks to stupid suggestions that I got on this site. What the hell am I going to do now. I spent two hours last night with a hair drier inside the PC case and it still trips the switch.
:twisted:
  • norb
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Portugal

Post 3+ Months Ago

What a nice little story.

There's only one way to do what you did the right way.

You can use a liquid too flood hot parts, but a non conductive one. And the PC can't be flooded, only the MoBo should be plunged in it because it has no mobile parts.

A guy made a weird overclocking some time ago using a non conductive liquid from 3M, and a liquid gas too cool the liquid off. Using 2 vessels, one with the connected mobo flooded with the non-conductive liquid and a 2nd one filled with the liquid gas. Having a tube pumping the cold cold gas from the gas vessel passing through the other liquid and coming back, he managed to do a super overclocking and the computer was still working. Finally, the gas evaporated quickly and he finally burned out the CPU when cooling wasn't enough anymore.

This guy was a real techie!
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

:rofl:

I wonder if someone really did that (what a dumbass they are if it is true), or if they were just making up a good story :)
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thats exactly what I was thinking, what kind of idiot doesn't know enough about computers to fill their case with water...liquid cool is controled with tubes and such, not a tank!
  • born2fight
  • Born
  • Born
  • born2fight

Post 3+ Months Ago

Haha, I can't believe that story. I guess his PC is technically silent now...
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

sleeping with the fishes no doubt :-P
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

i've spilled iced tea, milk, beer, and a coke (at seperate times) onto my
laptop and it continued to work each time after it dried out. I just shut it
down (after getting mad of course) and waited for it dry out. I even used
a hair dryer on it a couple times. After the iced tea, I had to replace the
keyboard, but that was cuz the keys were sticking down, not broken.
  • The Shrew
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had a keyboard completly die from having water spilled on it. Although it was a PC keyboard and not a laptop, so I wasn't in danger of losing a $1500(or however much yours was) investment.
  • Geekette
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: The Land of NeverWinter (FL)

Post 3+ Months Ago

Haha, actually, it was Gatorade, not water... I was standing near the computer with a glass of it and the dog jumped on me. Of course the Gatorade just happened to splash right onto the keyboard, it must have some freakish attraction to it. My mother then had the genius idea to take a hair-dryer to it to try to stop the damage. That was successful, the keyboard still worked, but apparently she had held the hair-dryer too close to the keyboard and melted the keys a bit. Ah, the memories... :roll:
  • Nego
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

Some substances will leave behind a horrible residue on your computer u would never be able to get out without permanatley damaging the computer. These substances are usually high in sugar like soda and such. If u actually got water into your laptop I suggest taking it apart and cleaning it out with a Q-tip (not a complete tool, but it will get the job done). You dont wanna leave the liquid to sit there for to long, it will damage the computer behind repair. Ive had this problem my self and I just unscrewed it and left the parts out to dry and that worked pretty well too so either way should work.

• Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's great advice for him Nego, but if you look at the date he posted that, his computer has probably been long dry.
  • Geekette
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: The Land of NeverWinter (FL)

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh well, it's great to know for future reference! That's the whole point of a forum, is it not? :wink:
  • Nego
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yup :P

• Born
  • Born
  • avanders

Post 3+ Months Ago

NEED MORE HELP:

well, it would have smart if I had looked here first... :oops:
Anyway, I spilled water on my laptop (dell) and then turned it immediately off. So far so good. Then I remembered hearing "don't shake it to get water out" - check. I used a paper towel to get all the standing water off the top and then I tipped it over to drain the rest (without shaking). Hopefully still so far so good. But that's where I got nervous and realized I haven't backed my data since March :oops: SO smart. Anyway, so I got impatient and tried to turn my computer back on several times, none of which worked, presumably because there's still some wetness inside...

My question is --> no indications of any frying physically (no smoke, smells, sparks, sounds) but the inability to turn on, if I get the insides completely dry, am I likely to get it working again?

And if not - is there a way to get any of my docs from my hard drive that I had on there before I was so smart as to spill water on it?
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

If your comfortable taking it appart & taking a "can-o-air" to it then go for it, you have a good chance of getting it to work again if there was no smoke or "kzzzzzzzrsh" noises.

If you can't get it working there are a few ways you can get your files back.
1 : Take it to a shop & have them transfer the files to your new computer.
2 : Look for an external laptop HDD kit & convert that drive to an external drive which you could pull your files from then use to backup or whatever you wish.
  • Woodend Dave
  • Born
  • Born
  • Woodend Dave

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi there.

I spilt a *small* amount of apple juice on my laptop keyboard. At first I imagined that it was smaller than it actually was - I just dabbed a towel on what I thought was a minor splash. Anyway, random keys started to be "pressed" so I realised it was worse than I thought. I tipped the keyboard to oneside and a teaspoon or so of juice came out. I turned off the machine, and left it open and on its side to dry out overnight.....

The machine comes on, so I guess I was very lucky. However, some of the keys are totally "dead". I dont really know what to do now.

I have looked on ebay and replacement keyboards for my machine are fairly cheap. Will this sort it out or do my problems run deeper?

Thanks for any help!
  • MOC
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Ocean City , Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yea that story pretty old it made it's rounds a few years ago(urbun legend stuff) it's funny to tell but we don't think someone really did it !

Yea I guess It all depends on the liquid(laptops are not that hard to disassemble(big thing is ,and i did this the first time I took one apart)
way before there was procedure to disassemble them,I would record
what screws came out of what holes(they are all marked with letters)
I made a little diagram,and the big thing was as soon as you took it apart and fixed or cleaned it ..don't let it sit ,put it right back together
while you still have that mental image ..lol

Once the women at work no you how to fix them .(laptops) look out. :lol:
cause they no how to dump everything they drink on them ,I swear.
  • azianangelz
  • Born
  • Born
  • azianangelz

Post 3+ Months Ago

i have spilled a cup of water on my laptop accidently i dried it for 2 weeks now even put a fan on iy to dry it but it wont work what can i do please help me to fix it :roll:
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Pray it is under warranty.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

:rofl: I just spit my drink at my keyboard, but it still works.
  • Sm0KeDOuTCiViC
  • Born
  • Born
  • Sm0KeDOuTCiViC

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok, I saw this tonight just being bored reading/surfing diff forums im not a member of and saw this,So i felt i had to pass on some knowledge that i got a hold of from a guy i met that works at AMD, If you ever spill anything in your laptop other than water, Like soda,Beer ETC, Turn it off quickly, Take it apart as soon as you can big thing if you can't take it all the way apart try and at least separate the screen from it usually a few screws and a ribbon cable, Get yourself some DENATURED ALCOHOL and straight FLood that whole thing with it and let it sit for a min or two and dump it out, Do that 2 or 3 times, and then let it dry for a hour or two, YOU MUST MAKE SURE IT IS DENATURED ALCOHOL!!! Rubbing alcohol will eat the protective coating off the circuts printed on the motherboard and destroy it, you can buy denatured alcohol at any walmart or hardware store, it is a little pricey about 10-15 dollars a pint depending where you buy it from, but will save you from buying a new laptop in most cases......... Ne ways i know this was a old post but for anyone else out there that might be in need of some Kick ass knowledge here you go!

Later

Pat

P.S PURE AMONIA works in place of DENATURED ALCOHOL, Make sure it is pure though and does not have any cleaning agents, You may also find that at Home depot,lowes,pepboys,autozone,any car racing shop It is a very popular Coolant for A/C Systems in big packing plants and hot rods and track cars, I run it in my 400 hp honda civic when i drag race it at the track,
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

nice, thanks for the info.
  • phoenix_s
  • Born
  • Born
  • phoenix_s

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,
I spilt water on my keyboard and after fighting it in various ways for some time, bought a new laptop keyboard. Here's a web page describing the whole process including installation of the laptop kbd. Feel free to ask questions.
http://www.ashtophoenix.com/comp/inspiron_8600_kbd.html
Hope it helps!
Cheers, Sid.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

phoenix_s wrote:
Hi,
I spilt water on my keyboard and after fighting it in various ways for some time, bought a new laptop keyboard. Here's a web page describing the whole process including installation of the laptop kbd. Feel free to ask questions.
http://www.ashtophoenix.com/comp/inspiron_8600_kbd.html
Hope it helps!
Cheers, Sid.

Hey Phoenix_s and welcome to Ozzu.

Thanks for your post and the link. Only problem is this post is 2+ years old. The original post was made 14th August 2003.

Not much point in bringing posts like this back from the dead because there is always a newer version of it somewhere.

Other than that small thing, happy posting :D
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

The post that never ends... :-D Each year it gets resurrected.
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

maybe this would help?
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

too much work... And using gasoline to clean something that is going to be plugged into electricity. hrm... That may be a fire hazard.
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

gasoline?! maybe next time i'll read the article before posting it... i found it on engadget, so i thought, ok it might be something to reccommend here
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 55 posts