Asked
Updated
Viewed
10.8k times

Does anyone know how to turn on autocomplete in Outlook? (not Express). It's driving me nutty.

What's also bugging me is that when the autocomplete is working I can't access the list anywhere to delete names. For example, if I send one email to someone it stores that address somewhere (not in the address book) and whenever I start another similar name it brings that one up first. Is there somewhere I can access them to delete them?

Oh, this is so frustrating!

After a little more research, somehow my address cache has been cleared (?) so basically, I have to send an email to that person manually (or by selecting them from the address book), and then the next time I want to send them an email it works now.

I'm not sure how the saved email cache got cleared but I think this is what the problem is.

add a comment

2 Answers

• Votes
  • Oldest
  • Latest
Answered
Updated

First, to turn this autocomplete function on or off:

1. Goto Tools, Option, Preferences Tab.
  2. Then goto E-Mail Options, Advanced E-Mail Options.
  3. Check the box next to Suggest names when completing To:, Cc:, and Bcc: fields.

This info isn't stored in your Contact folder. It is stored in a separate system file located at:

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook
add a comment
Answered
Updated

In Outlook (not express) Click on Tools, then Options. On your Preferences tab you will see a button that says E-Mail Options; Click it. Look for the button that shows Advanced Email Options and click it. At the bottom of that pop-up screen, you will see the send options such as suggesting of name, and automatic name checking.

add a comment