Created
Updated
Viewed
75.7k times

I'm using Windows on my computer. I have the file dfrg.msc missing, it is used to defragment the system, by mistake it was deleted from the registry, do you think there is a way I can get it back?

I have another computer running with Windows, do you think I can copy that file from my other computer into the other one.

System restore. Google or Ozzu search it. — conorific
    *lol....I was trying to find some help here and typed dfrg.msc into google and this post came up as the second result...Too cool. Still looking though, to help you with a solution. I just had to comment on that. — Mark Bowker
    Question, though...was it deleted from only the registry? Or was it deleted period? If the file is still there, it should be in Windows/system32/dfrg.msc Is the file still in that directory? and do you just need to fix the registry settings, or is it completely missing from system32? — Mark Bowker
    I'll join the list there to - I have XP Pro and it seems since I installed SP 3 - I can't defrag through the My Computer/Drive/Properies /Tools option - also I'm (administrator) getting "access Denied" on thing like the Disk Manager etc. Please let us know if anyone hears of anything. — Tarak
add a comment

7 Replies

• Votes
  • Oldest
  • Latest
TR
10 0
Replied
Updated

I haven't ever heard of the file but if it indeed is what you say it is, then you can most definately copy it from any other computer with the same OS version.

Good luck and keep us updated on what happens!

add a comment
Replied
Updated
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.msc]
@="MSCFile"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.msc\OpenWithList]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.msc\OpenWithProgids]
"MSCFile"=hex(0):

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.msc]
@="MSCFile"

Copy and paste the above into a text file, save it as a .reg file, then double-click the file to merge it into the registry.

I'm not sure that's going to solve your problem, however. I'm not sure how the Certificate Manager relates to the defrag utility. Have you tried replacing certmgr.msc?

Also, you say your computer is infected? infected with what?

I did what you told me and the key was added to the registry, I also replaced the file certmgr.msc. I come up with this message now: Windows can't find disk defragmenter.ink This program is needed to open files of type "MSC File" Type in the executable file to be used instead. What I meant by infected was the missing file. — mas77
    Like I said, I didn't think it would work. I guess try to find this other missing file. Other than that, I don't have any other suggestions beyond doing a repair install or even a clean install. — JrzyCrim
    My thanks to "Jim Roberts "with his copy & paste into the registry. When I read that post, I realized that the registry cleaner I had used removed DRFG.mce and some other .mce files. I was able to restore the missing registry files from a registry backup. — Leshw
add a comment
MO
0 0
Replied
Updated

C:\WINNT\system32\dfrag.msc

Microsoft Management Console. If you have it and associate it with that, the defrag utility will work.

If you can right-click on it, and choose a program from a list if one of the programs is Microsoft Management Console, it will work. In the system32 folder there is a file called mmc.exe. Disk Defrag needs to be associated with the Management Console.

Also, I don't think that M/S defrag does such a great job, there are so many better ones including:

• PerfectDisk
  • Defragmenter Pro Plus
  • O&O Defrag Professional Edition
  • DefragMentor Premium
  • Defrag for Windows 2.2
  • Vopt XP
  • Diskeeper Home Edition
  • MindSoft Defrag
  • Diskeeper Lite
    So do you know how I can associate it with the management console? — mas77
    Type dfrg.msc in run just to see what happens. Click Start, then Run, type mmc and click OK. Then thats where you open the file dfrg.msc from the Console. — MOC
    it said : "there are no items to show in this view" — mas77
add a comment
Replied
Updated

The association somehow got screwed up for .msc extension. Go to the windows\system32 folder and look for mmc.exe (Microsoft Management Console).

If it is there, go to tools, folder options, file types and look for the msc extension, highlight it and go to the change button, browse to the system32 folder and click on mmc.exe.

Or click on the defrag.msc and open with, browse to the system32 folder and mmc.exe and don't forget to check the box for open all files like this with this program.

If you don't find mmc.exe in the system32 folder, copy one off of another computer and paste it into the system32 folder on the problem machine, then associate the msc files with it. 😎

its ok, thanks for that, I formatted my computer ages ago as I had some other problems too and now I have the dfrg file. — mas77
add a comment
Replied
Updated

This thread perfectly applies to my case, I am in the same situation and have gone through all the above steps. I have the dfrg.msc file in my system32 folder and it's associated with MMC.

FYI the error message I get is:

MMC cannot open the file c:\windows\system32\dfrg.msc.

This may be because the file does not exist [it does], is not an MMC console [it's associated w/ MMC], or was created by a later version of MMC [possible since I've recently reinstalled XP as well as performed a failed System Restore!]. This may also be because you do not have sufficient access rights to the file [I'm logged in as administrator].

Do I need to update MMC? If so, how? Might it be a missing registry key?

add a comment
CR
10 0
Replied
Updated

Hey absoluten I had the same problem, I did a repair install and when I tried to use Windows defrager after I got the same message as you. I found a fix! go here

https://download.cnet.com/Microsoft-Management-Console-3-0-for-Windows-XP-KB907265/3000-2206_4-10741230.html

and scroll down a bit over half way and download and run WindowsXP-KB907265-x86-ENU.exe package. Its the latest version of mmc (mmc 3.0)and I'm almost certain it will fix the problem your having. please post back if it does.

hey guys, I recently had the same problem with defragmentation so I tried to google it out and 1st hit with "dfrg.msc download" was this topic in this forum 🙂 so I followed instructions and nothing worked until I tried last suggestion from post above, and guess what, it worked 🙂 so I felt need to register on this forum just to say thanks to mnmurphy. so thank you mnmurphy 🙂 greetings from Belgrade, Serbia... — Mr. Garrison
    Crest, I've just also encountered this problem. Like Mr. G above I followed your advice and thanks to you my system seems to be fine...again! Thanks mate. I know this site is for Webmasters, but you guys don't half offer some good advice. Thanks SOKO — SOKO 5113
    Google took me to this great site. I just joined and plan to visit frequently. I encountered the same problem when trying to run defrag. I'm also getting a Norton error message that is telling me to run services.msc. When I do I get a Cannot open C:/WINDOWS/System32/Services.msc. Prior to running into these problems I encountered difficulties running MS Money. I'd click on the icon to run it. It didn't appear to open, I'd click on the icon again and I got the message saying it was already running. I uninstalled and re-installed it and still have the problem. I downloaded the patch crest talks about hoping it would fix my problems. After running it I got a message saying the service pack is newer than the update I'm applying. There is no need to install it. Any recommendations? — Bagger
    Thank you to Crest. A year and a half later you are still helping people with that info about WindowsXP-KP907265. I would not have found that on the MS website if not for your posting. I downloaded the fix and it works. Thanks again, this site is certainly the gift that keeps on giving 😁 — sunset12
    I Register in this forum, Specialy to say many many thanks to CREST..even till now ur post still helpful..hope other people that have problem with dlfrg.msc can find this link....God Bless U — d_tandiari
add a comment
Replied
Updated

Here is the solution to getting the defragmenter working again. You need to re-register the defragmenter software components:

Method 1

1. Click on Start, Run, and enter regsvr32 dfrgsnap.dll.
  2. Click on Start, Run, and enter regsvr32 dfrgui.dll.

If this doesn't resolve the problem, try Method 2.

Method 2

1. Click on Start, Run, and enter %windir%\inf. This should open a folder named Inf.
  2. Locate the file named dfrg.inf (it might be listed as just dfrg.)
  3. Right-click this file and click Install.
add a comment