Winamp Gives Me Bad DirectSound Drivers Error

• Kurai
  • Born
  • Born
  • Kurai
  • Loc: Fairfax, Virginia, U.S.A.

Post 3+ Months Ago

WARNING: this method of doing things should only be a last resort and make sure you back up all files that you think might get affected. Also this method is like taking out a tank to go after a flea.

First of all I would like to say that I have used this forum at least 2 times before for this issue and it has been a great help, but this time it was of no help, so here is how this all happened.

First after seeing that all these tricks failed I logged into the Administrator and check out the Device Manager to see it there was something wrong there. When I saw that there was nothing wrong there I shut down the PC and started it up to see if it would notice that there was no sound card, that failed.

So I did that last thing I could, I logged on in safe mode and from there I uninstalled everything that did not have the word Windows in it under the Sound, video and game controllers tab. At this point I would like to point out that I am running Win 2k and have no controllers, so if you have any controllers be careful as to what you delete.

After finishing that previous step I restarted the comp and found that Winamp worked again, except for video; the next thing I did was reinstall Winamp and I am now able to view video without any problems.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• masimet
  • Born
  • Born
  • masimet

Post 3+ Months Ago

i got the same problem on my notebook (directsound output v2.31 (d) error. bad directsound driver.error code 87780078)

i have check my hardware system, all is OK, no exclamation points. i have reistalled sound driver both from the recovery-cd and microsoft, no exclamation point but still the same problem.

for winamp,i have setup the preferences-->output and succes. winamp work properly. but for the others media player (windows media, real player, quick time etc), there's still problem.

in the Direct Diagnostic Tool, i have test DirectSound, and the some problem still occured.

help please, thx :(
  • blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

This seems to be a very popular problem. This is a problem that brings many people to OZZU. Usually restarting does it for me.
  • rAynne
  • Born
  • Born
  • rAynne

Post 3+ Months Ago

my system runs normally till i use harman kardon soundstick I speaker...

when i use that speaker i cant hear any sound. there's only about 5s n the sound is gone....

it starts when my winamp occur

"error creating directsound buffer
error code: 88780078

i use AMD64 3200+ 754
ATI 9600XT 256MB
Winamp 5.13
DirectX 9.0c
WinXP Pro SP2

help me please ppl.
note: it only happen if i use that harman kardon speaker, f i change to my altec lansing everthings run normally. n my harman kardon speaker run well in other pc. but in my pc its grrrrr...
  • manarshi das
  • Born
  • Born
  • manarshi das

Post 3+ Months Ago

conorific wrote:
I opened up my Winamp 5.01, and tried to play a song. Alas, I got an error that says:

Bad DirectSound Driver. Please install proper drivers or select another device in configuration.
Error code: 88780078

*twitch*

What happened?
  • erashby
  • Born
  • Born
  • erashby

Post 3+ Months Ago

The same happened to me,and I tried almost everything mentioned in this thread. I also had "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services" needing to close at startup. After searching for solutions to that error I fopund the following that fixed the problem

"this is how I fixed it:

CONTROL PANEL>ADMINISTRATION TOOLS>SERVICES>SCROLL DOWN TO 'WINDOWS AUDIO' AND START THE SERVICE (HIGHLIGHT IT AND THEN CLICK ON START)

I hope this helps others, as I have been helped.
Eric
  • maniacmusician
  • maniacmusician

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a similar problem, but it's still kind of tangential to this. I mean, I got the same error in winamp, but i'm pretty sure my problem stems from a different issue. i was brought here by a google search of my error message as well.

Sound doesn't work at all on my computer. It did a couple of days ago, when I had Windows XP Home Edition (I just bought this computer), but I replaced it with Professional, and since then the sound hasn't been working. The problem is, it can't detect the sound card. It's not in the device manager list, and when I go to control panel>Sounds and Audio Devices, it tells me that there is no audio device. This is kinda perplexing, because this sound card is integrated into the motherboard, and there shouldnt be any trouble detecting it.

It is a "Integrated 7.1 Capable Intel(R) High Def. Audio" card (thats from the specs on HP's website). I can't find any drivers for it on Intel's website, and it seems otherwise nonexistent or undetected on my computer.

In device manager, there are a few problem devices. They are sub-listed under "other devices.":
PCI device
SM Bus Controller
Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller
Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

Those all have the yellow exclamation marks. Any chance it could be one of those? Thanks.
  • Auron
  • Born
  • Born
  • Auron

Post 3+ Months Ago

Fleet_Ad wrote:
Mike, that way is TOTALLY wrong. What would it fix, I mean, all you did was disable it, then enable it. The problem would still remain, for one, I tried it, because I have this same problem, and it didnt work.

EDIT : Heres a lovely tip (Or 3 tips in one) from the support center installed on XP Pro. NOTE : Have your installation disc or floppy ON HAND, if you have an nVidia card. (Otherwise, you will recive "Cannot Install This Hardware Problem, blah blah blah, Driver is not intended for this platform, which is BS anyways.)

"Uninstall and then reinstall your device.
To resolve the problem that is causing Device Manager to show an error code for your device, try uninstalling and then reinstalling the device.

To uninstall your device

Open Device Manager.
If the category for your device is not expanded, double-click the category.
Under the category for your device, right-click the device that you want to uninstall, and then click Uninstall.
In the Confirm Device Removal dialog box, click OK.
Note

To open Device Manager, click Start, click Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System. In the System Properties dialog box, click the Hardware tab, and then click Device Manager.
Once you have removed your device, use the Add Hardware Wizard to reinstall it.

To reinstall your device

Close any open programs.
Start the Add Hardware Wizard.
Click Next, and wait for Windows to search for Plug and Play devices. Most new devices are Plug and Play, so you rarely need to go beyond this step.
If no Plug and Play devices are found, a list of devices appears. Click Add a new hardware device, and then click Next.
Click Install the hardware that I manually select from a list, and then click Next.
In the Common hardware types list, click the appropriate device category, and then click Next.
In the Manufacturers list, click the manufacturer of your device; in the Models list, click the model name.

Or, click Have Disk if you have an updated or manufacturer-supplied driver to install for your device.
Click Next, and then follow the wizard's instructions to complete the installation.
Note

To open the Add Hardware Wizard, click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Printers and Other Hardware. Under See Also, click Add Hardware."

OR you could go to System Restore, and go back to yesterday, that is if you have System Restore enabled.

This guy is a genius... I tried so many other methods to resolve my sound issues... This was the only one that worked... For those of you who have those Motherboard soundcards... Just use your motherboard disc when you follow his steps. I hope this guy's info solves most everyone's problems!
  • Jing
  • Born
  • Born
  • Jing

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had that 88780078 problem with my winamp where no sound was being played on my computer. Then I did that thing where you disable and enable it under the my computer manager thing and then I went to the winamp plugin thing and my sound card appeard so I could change it from the generic one.

Right now, my normal windows plays its basic startup sounds 'n such and my winamp sounds work but my games sounds, my limewire sound, my WMA sound and pretty much any other kind of sound isn't working. My computer wont let me use my volume - or + buttons on my keyboard or my mute button either....What do I do?!?! Sound is like...needed! :shock:
  • masimet
  • Born
  • Born
  • masimet

Post 3+ Months Ago

Exactly ! THIS'S REALLY WORKING ...

CONTROL PANEL>ADMINISTRATION TOOLS>SERVICES>SCROLL DOWN TO 'WINDOWS AUDIO'>IN PROPERTIES, SET 'STARTUP TYPE' TO AUTOMATIC AND START IT

-masimet-
  • innerfears
  • Born
  • Born
  • innerfears

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've been having this same problem for a few months now. It just happened out of nowhere one day, no changes to the soundcard driver or anything. I did try the Winamp fix in preferences though and changed it to my soundcard in the list and that helped, but it doesn't help anything else.

When I load Volume Control it gives me an error message "There are no active mixers available." Restarting has always helped this, but I shouldn't have to do that... what's the REAL problem?

I'm using a Creative Audigy 2 NX USB soundcard with updated drivers. The problem started before I updated any drivers, so I don't understand this.
  • trunkscannon
  • Born
  • Born
  • trunkscannon

Post 3+ Months Ago

xyccoc wrote:
i had the same problem today.. i went in to the options sectionand under plugins, in th output area i saw the out_ds.dll file was there.. you have the ability to change the properties of the specified dll.. after looking thru the options, i found that it had changed my soundcard setting, from my soundcard to a generic name.. i switched it back to my soundcard and got no problems.. no more error.. just thought i would pass the info along..

hope it works for you if youre still having problems..

Dj - Option21
http://www.option21.org

Ya i just wanted to let you know that this was very helpful
it fixed my problem in a jiffy
  • Bosley
  • Born
  • Born
  • Bosley

Post 3+ Months Ago

"CONTROL PANEL>ADMINISTRATION TOOLS>SERVICES>SCROLL DOWN TO 'WINDOWS AUDIO'>IN PROPERTIES, SET 'STARTUP TYPE' TO AUTOMATIC AND START IT "

I am telling you all, problem solved. The one who posted that is right, it works. I registered here just to tell you people that hehh. Please try that, I'm almost 100% sure it'll work. Yay I'm smarter now.

-Mikael
  • chicken_whacker
  • Born
  • Born
  • chicken_whacker

Post 3+ Months Ago

so then i try to install it and then it asks me for my cd or but i don't have it

so i try doign the adminstartion tolls thing

someone please help me!

my msn / e-mail is chicken.whacker@gmail.com
  • Toshas
  • Born
  • Born
  • Toshas

Post 3+ Months Ago

ALL YOU PPL SAID DIDNT WORK FOR ME!?!? But there is allways BUT... i found the way out by my self with a little of everyones notes.. I'll write what i did to make everything work, i mean the winamp (direct sound) and stuff...
1) As everyone said, go right click My Computer > Manage > Device Manager
2) Look for exclamasion marks in "Sound, video and game controllers" as someone allready said.
3) You dont do that crap as enable or disable (if that didnt work after all :) ) and just right click > UPDATE DRIVER

Everything sorted out for me like that... my winamp didnt give the error message of dirrect sound driver and everything is going well so far. If that doesnt help, then i realy DONT KNOW any other way to help... But you can allways ask... :roll:

Peace
  • NuAngel
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Erie, PA, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Strange how popular this problem seems to be and there is still no clear and definitive solution, rather hack'n'slash methods that seem to work on a case-by-case basis.

I would simply advise uninstalling WinAmp, downloading and installing the latest version of WinAmp and Direct X, both.

WinAmp:
http://www.filemirrors.com/search.src?f ... ze=6206440

DX:
http://www.filemirrors.com/search.src?f ... e=54858072

-Nu
  • slickrick
  • Born
  • Born
  • slickrick

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had the same problem. This is how I fixed it.

I went into device manager. I had two question mark icons. I went into properties and had it update the drivers threw windows update, and everything worked after that.
  • sebastian420
  • Born
  • Born
  • sebastian420
  • Loc: No.VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

yo.. fer real..
MOD EDIT: I think this means "This is for real" or "This is not a joke"

darkapprentice.. is a mah'f*cken genius..
MOD EDIT: "darkapprentice is very smart and following his advice helped me solve this problem"

mah proll'em.. is.. fix'd cuhz!
MOD EDIT: "My problem is now resolved"
  • 123rolle
  • Born
  • Born
  • 123rolle

Post 3+ Months Ago

xyccoc wrote:
i had the same problem today.. i went in to the options sectionand under plugins, in th output area i saw the out_ds.dll file was there.. you have the ability to change the properties of the specified dll.. after looking thru the options, i found that it had changed my soundcard setting, from my soundcard to a generic name.. i switched it back to my soundcard and got no problems.. no more error.. just thought i would pass the info along..

I have had problem with all sounds. After I did that my winamp sounds work but if I start up my computer I still cant hear the window startup sound or any other sounds. I have installed the latest drivers but it wont help. In device manager it says that the device is working.. all the sound settings are grayed out so I cant change those. don't know what to do
  • Sigi
  • Born
  • Born
  • Sigi

Post 3+ Months Ago

oh, i've got the same problem with my Sound driver for a month! But the problem is that I accidently deleted this program by my self! I've tried everything suggested here, but nothing helped!
So, if there is any other sollution, please help me!

Sigi
  • vnfunkr
  • Born
  • Born
  • vnfunkr

Post 3+ Months Ago

i've been to other forums w/ this problem and nothing has helped so far

so far i've learned i had a foxconn audio connector jack and i dont know what sound card or audio chip i have i cant even see anything familiar when i open up my comp and look at the motherboard

i looked on intel's page for my the model of my mobo and found that it's supposed to have soundMAX (i.e. analog devices) ad1985 codec integrated or something like that, so i downloaded a driver for that which didnt work since it's not compatible w/ XP

i downloaded a realtek driver which also didnt work

i search for DirectSound which doesnt work

i did the winamp ctrl+p --> Plug-Ins --> Output --> i see:
-DirectSound output v2.43 (d) [out_ds.dll]
-waveOut output v2.1 (d) [out_wave.dll]
i dont know what to do w/ that

and of course dxdiag shows no sound card detected

basically:
NO SOUND STARTING UP OR FROM PROGRAMS
UNSURE OF WHAT SOUND CARD I HAVE

YAY I FOUND AN XP COMPATIBLE AD1985 DRIVER!![/b]
  • MasterZ
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Colorado Springs

Post 3+ Months Ago

xyccoc wrote:

Dj - Option21

This worked for me for winamp, but not Windows Media Player.. it still doesnt' work.
  • Davidoff
  • Born
  • Born
  • Davidoff
  • Loc: The Netherlands

Post 3+ Months Ago

MasterZ wrote:
xyccoc wrote:

Dj - Option21

This worked for me for winamp, but not Windows Media Player.. it still doesnt' work.

I am experiencing the same problem right now. Winamp has been rersolved with your input but how about Media Player? I did find in options => Devices that the at speakers the device to use was changed from my soundcard to another option. But when making the change I still dont have sound. Can anybody advise? Thanks, Dave V
  • osocka
  • Born
  • Born
  • osocka
  • Loc: Kawasaki-shi

Post 3+ Months Ago

I solved my problem easily by going into Control Panel - Sounds and Audio Devices - Hardware tab - click your audio device [mine is a Realtek AC'97] - Properties button - Driver tab - click Roll Back Driver

that fixed it for me

This became a problem for me after I installed a Windows update. If that's the case with you, just roll back your driver.
  • ipsec
  • Born
  • Born
  • ipsec

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ya so I just got new speakers today [ Heart Black Friday ]. This is the first time I've gotten this error. When my speakers are plugged in the sound/audio stuff in Control Panel are disabled. Meaning I cannot select my speakers from the list. No Windows sounds play. No sounds period.

This problem only happens with my speakers. I have DSP500 Headphones [ For my gaming ] and they work just fine.

Quick help would be greatly appreciated.
  • weemisssunshine
  • Born
  • Born
  • weemisssunshine
  • Loc: uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, newly installed windows xp, trying to get some sound out of my computer and cant - it does error beeps, but wont play anything else! i have a motherboard sound card and a soundblaster live! 5.1 sound card but neither are found when my computer is looking for a sound device - it just says there is none!
Have installed all recent drivers for soundcard/motherboard/dx but still nothing.
(i used to have the multimedia audio controller error but have just fixed that - now another one has come along!)
When in sounds and audio devices in control panel it says i have no audio device - please help me!
Thanks.....
  • Pilky
  • Born
  • Born
  • Pilky

Post 3+ Months Ago

heres my 2 cents. Got this problem and ofc googled it, and this being the first site up, I had a little look at it. Found the methods to be a little overkill and so I found a fast solution to one of the baddirectsound error's.

I found that when using recording programs within windows, it can commonly change what method of sound your using for wave and microphone (changed mine to a recording driver instead of my usual c-media).

So my advice is this, go into your control panel and then into your sound settings and make sure that the wave and microphone settings are set back to their usual sound card drivers instead of another piece of software you may have used previously.

Granted to some people this may just be insulting their intelligence, but hey, if it worked for me and can stop someone deleting a helluva load of files that they have on their pc then I regret nothing.

Have fun
  • Averixx
  • Born
  • Born
  • Averixx
  • Loc: La Vista

Post 3+ Months Ago

my winamp works now but now on some songs it plays but softly than explodes to the regular way the song plays. I also noticed that the songs that do this r songs that if u use headsets it plays on one earphone, than the other, than both. It also wont play sound from Youtube. can anyone help?
  • Pigskin
  • Born
  • Born
  • Pigskin
  • Loc: Warrenville IL

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here is something that you can try i was going nuts all day trying every thing on this forum but what i found was my problem and may help you out or anyone else. for a lot of the dells and hp they use soundMAX you can either find it on your drivers and utilities installation CD or you can go to your manufacturer website. i hope that will help.
  • Pigskin
  • Born
  • Born
  • Pigskin
  • Loc: Warrenville IL

Post 3+ Months Ago

-earlier post was for-

oh, i've got the same problem with my Sound driver for a month! But the problem is that I accidently deleted this program by my self! I've tried everything suggested here, but nothing helped!

So, if there is any other sollution, please help me!

Sigi

hope that helps
-Pigskin-
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 89 posts