Winamp Gives Me Bad DirectSound Drivers Error

• conorific
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I opened up my Winamp 5.01, and tried to play a song. Alas, I got an error that says:

Bad DirectSound Driver. Please install proper drivers or select another device in configuration.
Error code: 88780078

*twitch*

What happened?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• SecureITGroup
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

if you right c,lick on my computer and go to manage then click on device manager you will se a list of all your devices. Is the Sound Video and Game Controlers expanded out. If so think back what did you chance lately? Did you run windows update and install an updated driver for the Sound Card. If so i would use the roll back driver option on the driver tab. That is assumeing that u have windows xp installed. Could you give some more discription on what you are running in your system. The easyest way to fix this is to install the drivers from the manufacture's web site.
  • conorific
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have WinXP Home. I already tried updating drivers and such. I don't even have anything called DirectSound.
  • SecureITGroup
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

when you log onto windows does the login sound play or no sound at all
  • conorific
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, it plays. So do all the other Windows sounds. Just not my Winamp.
  • SecureITGroup
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I went to my Winamp and it is version 5.20 and if you go to the WinAmp Preferences (Ctrl+p)and click on output. There is a option on my end to select DirectSound Output Then there is a dll called out_ds.dll i would take the next step to find what that dll does and assume that you are missing it.
  • xyccoc
  • Born
  • Born
  • xyccoc

Post 3+ Months Ago

i had the same problem today.. i went in to the options sectionand under plugins, in th output area i saw the out_ds.dll file was there.. you have the ability to change the properties of the specified dll.. after looking thru the options, i found that it had changed my soundcard setting, from my soundcard to a generic name.. i switched it back to my soundcard and got no problems.. no more error.. just thought i would pass the info along..

hope it works for you if youre still having problems..

Dj - Option21
http://www.option21.org
  • PrOtOtyPe-X
  • Born
  • Born
  • PrOtOtyPe-X

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well , Hi there

The advise about the .dll file that had to be configured worked :D

But I now can't use the buttons on my keybord anymore.....
( U no, The VOLUME +/- , and the MUTE button.....)

I really used them a lot so i'd really like them to work again

Thanks for reading my post...

Later!!!
  • PrOtOtyPe-X
  • Born
  • Born
  • PrOtOtyPe-X

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh i forgot 1 thing... I still don't have any music when playing games......

Thanks
  • dark-apprentice
  • Born
  • Born
  • dark-apprentice
  • Loc: Montreal Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

this suggestion, mentioned earlier, did the trick for me:

" had the same problem today.. i went in to the options sectionand under plugins, in th output area i saw the out_ds.dll file was there.. you have the ability to change the properties of the specified dll.. after looking thru the options, i found that it had changed my soundcard setting, from my soundcard to a generic name.. i switched it back to my soundcard and got no problems.. no more error.. just thought i would pass the info along..

hope it works for you if youre still having problems.. "

Thanks a lot guys
  • tomy_j
  • Born
  • Born
  • tomy_j

Post 3+ Months Ago

conorific wrote:
I opened up my Winamp 5.01, and tried to play a song. Alas, I got an error that says:

Bad DirectSound Driver. Please install proper drivers or select another device in configuration.
Error code: 88780078

*twitch*

What happened?

I also have the some problem with you, but my PC didn't sound anything, not just Winamp, but my Windows Media Player, my games also silent.

I had already installed the latest soundcard driver, but it did'nt make any changes.

I'm so frustating right now.

Somebody please give me solutions.
Thanks.
  • pfnagel
  • Born
  • Born
  • pfnagel
  • Loc: Wisconsin

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am actually having the same problem. My issue, though, is there is some sort of problem with my operating system (windows xp pro). Check these things:

1) Control Panel, Sound and Audio. Do you have a default device setup?

2) Right click on My Computer, Properties, Manage. Do you have a multimedia driver configured and installed, with no problems (Problems being exclamation points)?

See, my sound card driver is recent, and appropriate for the hardware. I'm not having any IR problems, and the device is setup correctly, but it's like Windows doesn't see it. I cannot even select it as my default audio output (in the control panel). Funny thing is, though, I was able to select this device with Winamp (instead of the default), and my Winamp is outputting sound now (it sounds like a couple people had similar setups). Anyone ?ever? see anything like this before? Thanks in advance.
  • Stolenbikesridefaster
  • Born
  • Born
  • Stolenbikesridefaster

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've been going crazy and feeling bitter all day because of my mute computer BUT YOU ---> dark-apprentice <--- you are a f*cking genius!!

I don't understand how it could ever be so tricky, but you cannot solve it any other way, look around, every forum ends up in the question only you answered.

Best wishes and thank you VERY much!
  • §†r@|\|g3r
  • Born
  • Born
  • §†r@|\|g3r
  • Loc: Michigan

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am kind of having the same probs as pfnagel.....nothing works for me at all. Not one bit of sound, though i did use his trick to get my winamp to work. But everything else is still down. unfortunately i don't know what the problem is because i do not have a new video card. I am using service pack 2 but that was installed when it first came out so i know its not that. and no new drivers have been downloaded or installed. so i am completely lost some help would be most appreciated.
  • MikeDamone
  • Loc: Ridgemont

Post 3+ Months Ago

Try this:

Right click on My Computer
Manage
Device Manager
go down to where the exclamation point is
Right click to Disable, then Enable it.

Worked for me.
  • Fleet_Ad
  • Loc: Pickerington Ohio

Post 3+ Months Ago

Mike, that way is TOTALLY wrong. What would it fix, I mean, all you did was disable it, then enable it. The problem would still remain, for one, I tried it, because I have this same problem, and it didnt work.

EDIT : Heres a lovely tip (Or 3 tips in one) from the support center installed on XP Pro. NOTE : Have your installation disc or floppy ON HAND, if you have an nVidia card. (Otherwise, you will recive "Cannot Install This Hardware Problem, blah blah blah, Driver is not intended for this platform, which is BS anyways.)

"Uninstall and then reinstall your device.
To resolve the problem that is causing Device Manager to show an error code for your device, try uninstalling and then reinstalling the device.

To uninstall your device

Open Device Manager.
If the category for your device is not expanded, double-click the category.
Under the category for your device, right-click the device that you want to uninstall, and then click Uninstall.
In the Confirm Device Removal dialog box, click OK.
Note

To open Device Manager, click Start, click Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System. In the System Properties dialog box, click the Hardware tab, and then click Device Manager.
Once you have removed your device, use the Add Hardware Wizard to reinstall it.

To reinstall your device

Close any open programs.
Start the Add Hardware Wizard.
Click Next, and wait for Windows to search for Plug and Play devices. Most new devices are Plug and Play, so you rarely need to go beyond this step.
If no Plug and Play devices are found, a list of devices appears. Click Add a new hardware device, and then click Next.
Click Install the hardware that I manually select from a list, and then click Next.
In the Common hardware types list, click the appropriate device category, and then click Next.
In the Manufacturers list, click the manufacturer of your device; in the Models list, click the model name.

Or, click Have Disk if you have an updated or manufacturer-supplied driver to install for your device.
Click Next, and then follow the wizard's instructions to complete the installation.
Note

To open the Add Hardware Wizard, click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Printers and Other Hardware. Under See Also, click Add Hardware."

OR you could go to System Restore, and go back to yesterday, that is if you have System Restore enabled.
  • walrusofdeath
  • Born
  • Born
  • walrusofdeath

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm also having the same problem as pfnagel.
Except the big problem with me is, I don't seem to have my installer CD. :s

SB came pre-installer with the computer, I'm not sure if we even have an install CD to be honest.

It's weird though, Winamp works when it feels like it, along with games and WMP.
Apparently SoundBlaster's working fine, it's 'Microsoft WINMM WDM Audio Compatibility Driver' that's carked it. Though SoundBlaster doesn't appear when I try and set it as default soundcard or whatnot.

Interesting though (if not a little worrying) that so many other people are having this problem!
  • Fleet_Ad
  • Loc: Pickerington Ohio

Post 3+ Months Ago

This problem happened AFTER I updated the nVidia sound card from the microsoft website. Suggestion, BEFORE updating, make a system restore point, just in case. Also, its VERY RARE for a sound card needing an update, so I dont recommend updating it, UNLESS the home page of your sound card maker suggests it.
  • mooseoftoose
  • Born
  • Born
  • mooseoftoose

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have been having this same problem for about a week. I bought this laptop used, so no driver cds came with it. I guess I have the ESS Allegro sound card, which came with the computer. It appears that it is gone, not physicaly, but the computer wont find it. I recently installed a program that screwed everyting up. So, I now have the same problem as everyone else, but none of the things listed worked for me. I even downloaded the original driver. Nothing works. :( I have windows ME incase that helps.
Any suggestions will be greatey appritiated.

Thanks alot
  • SROmaha
  • Born
  • Born
  • SROmaha

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow! I struggled with this error for hours! I finally found an easy way to fix it! I went through all the suggestions here, and nothing worked. In windows update it wasn't finding any updates. Finally, I found this link, updated the drivers, and it all worked!

Q: I keep getting error messages when trying to play any file...
A: Update soundcard drivers and DirectX.

Go to this website:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/default.aspx

woohoo, I hope it works for you too! :lol:
  • blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

I used to get that message...
I think I just reinstalled anything that had to do with sound. Drivers, winamp... etc...
  • cj8rckclr
  • Born
  • Born
  • cj8rckclr
  • Loc: Huntsville, AL

Post 3+ Months Ago

i just had the same problem....but none of my windows sounds work...everything works, but just has no sound....and i got the winamp DirectSound error message....

ive checked all the drivers and they all say they're working correctly....

oh yea, i have a dell dimension 4600....
can anyone find the DirectSound driver so i can reinstall it...will that fix my problem?.....

im in the process of making a Rockcrawling dvd for my business, and i've got a deadline...now i can't hear crap....

any advise...
thanks,
James
  • cj8rckclr
  • Born
  • Born
  • cj8rckclr
  • Loc: Huntsville, AL

Post 3+ Months Ago

btt
  • dougle
  • dougle
  • Loc: Blackpool

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have this problem in the last hour.

I am a DJ on a online Radio Station so i need my sounds working. ASAP.

My Winamp recently fecked up so i decided to re-install it. It asked me for that driver thing.

I put my playlist on WMP (over 1000 songs on this PC) and tried to play one. it then went through every track going red with an explanation mark.

NONE of my Windows sounds work.. and i have already un-installed Winamp.

Any Help will be so good. I need this working right away..

Cheers if anyone can help,

Dougle.
  • dougle
  • dougle

Post 3+ Months Ago

BTT.

Sorry but i need to have this sorted.
  • dougle
  • dougle

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would just like to say my problem has been fixed.. i don't know how but it is..

i dont something off here but it didn't work last nite but it may of needed rebooting.

Thanks everybody.

http://www.loyalistbears.co.uk - Free Loyalist Radio.
  • MeeX
  • Born
  • Born
  • MeeX

Post 3+ Months Ago

dougle wrote:
I would just like to say my problem has been fixed.. i don't know how but it is.
out_ds.dll , Sound Card Driver and Winamp installation are not problem.System restore to System restore point (was made minute ago) fix it.
  • spunky
  • Born
  • Born
  • spunky

Post 3+ Months Ago

Two days ago, I can open both windows media player and winamp to play at the same time(actually any music player combination). Yesterday I found "Bad DirectSound Driver ... " errro message. I can only close the software which is using the soundcard in order to use another music player. This is against my previous experience and I knew for sure there must be a solution to recover to previous stage. I search google and lead me here. What I did is exactly as you guys told me .

1. Open Winamp
2. Ctrl + P to bring up preference window
3. Look down to Plug-ins-->Output
4. There are three choices in my case.
1)waveOut output v2.0.3 [out_wave.dll]
2)Nullsoft Disk Writer plug-in v2.0c (x86) [out_disk.dll]
3)DirectSound output v2.2.12 [out_ds.dll]
5. before I make any change, it highlights the third choice.
Then I click the first choice to highlight it, next click "Configure" .
6. A new window called "waveOut setting" pops out
7. in Device:drop down box , I switch to "Crystal SoundFusion(tm)" --->that's my sound card.
8. Done... Now I can open several media playing softwares to play musics at the same time.. BACK TO NORMAL AGAIN

My guessing: It's Winamp's new update cause that trouble. If you happens to come here, you find a solution. In my case, I knew that my soundcard has not any problem in terms of doing simultaneous jobs. It's the software which controls multi-jobs..
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

rebooting also works, i have the problem wuite frequently. i also replaced the dll with one i got off the net
  • |[FoX]|
  • Born
  • Born
  • |[FoX]|

Post 3+ Months Ago

cj8rckclr wrote:
i just had the same problem....but none of my windows sounds work...everything works, but just has no sound....and i got the winamp DirectSound error message....

ive checked all the drivers and they all say they're working correctly....

oh yea, i have a dell dimension 4600....
can anyone find the DirectSound driver so i can reinstall it...will that fix my problem?.....

im in the process of making a Rockcrawling dvd for my business, and i've got a deadline...now i can't hear crap....

any advise...
thanks,
James

I' m exactly in the same situation! I even made a rollback on the directx, from 9c to 8.1 and the result was the same... nothing! I don' t have any sound in the hardware management it' s everything is ok:

On the other hand, I can' t even select a device on the control panel or even test sound and music in the dxdiag! What can I do? Please Help! Thank you...
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 89 posts