Created
Updated
Viewed
74.2k times

Does your computer or computers have a nickname, pet name, or just something else you refer to it by? How did it get the name? This can be funny sometimes, and interesting to see what people say.

My server's name is OTTO, named after the blowup doll on Airplane! and my workstation is named Lester after Lester Burnham in American Beauty.

What's yours called/named?

I don't name my things and could not imagine doing so seriously. Making a name up for something is almost impossible for me to do. I never particularly think about things by their names, the first thing I forget about them are their names. This is probably why I like mathematics, I don't think of variables and functions as variable x or function mu, I think of them as "this piece of information" and "the function that does blah blah." Whenever my brain encounters naming or names, it just ignores it. Stupid brain. This makes remembering people's names difficult for me. The only things that I name are those which need to be named, such as files and programs. Even my pets went unnamed! Eventually, I referred to them by numbers in the language Esperanto. Anyway, I don't name my computer. — Mas Sehguh
    Besides the occasional curse word, my computer doesn't have a name šŸ¤£ — musik
    I call my computer by many names, usually starting with "you" and ending with a slew of four-letter words. We're not too tight. — Kairisika
add a comment

78 Replies

• Votes
  • Oldest
  • Latest
Replied
Updated

At home my 2000 machine is master and my 98 machine is slave

I'm not very creative *lol

Forgot about this post, my current laptop is Hellskitten2. It's a combination of my love of food and cats. — Mark Bowker
    I plan to name my next computer Dottie after the quote from Karl in the movie Armageddon: "I wanna name her Dottie after my wife. She's a vicious life-sucking bi*** from which there is no escape." — Mark Bowker
add a comment
Replied
Updated

As another example, a friend of mine has named all of his computers after Star Wars characters. His server is Vader, his main workstation is Luke, and his laptop is R2D2.

add a comment
Replied
Updated

My work computer is Orion. My laptop is nebula.

add a comment
Replied
Updated

I've named both my computers Chrome after "my" eau de cologne/deodorant series Azzaro Chrome.

add a comment
Replied
Updated

I named my computer Black Boar

add a comment
Replied
Updated

lump of sh!t

I'm serious! ask anyone! except my parents šŸ¤£

add a comment
Replied
Updated

dwadas is what my last own computer was named. My current computer has no name.

add a comment
JE
0 0
Replied
Updated

my computer is called bob

I think I must have been having a really uncreative that day when I named it!

Bob, every Tom, Dick, and Harry is called Bob. I call my machine lappy, but its network name is a fullstop. Me doing naughty stuff, never. — darksat
add a comment
Replied
Updated

My server is called family pc because everyone uses it. My laptop is call grandads laptop because he gave me it when he was dying and the other laptop is called mums laptop because she always uses it.

add a comment
CA
0 1
Replied
Updated
  1. Main Computer: Skynet
  2. Server: Andromeda
  3. Linux Box: Tranquility
  4. Parent's Computer: Oenone

They are all named after AIs (artificial intelligence) from books, movies, and TV.

That's pretty slick. I'll have to remember that when I get my laptop in two weeks. I think the Skynet one would work for that. — Mark Bowker
    Did you get your laptop ATNO? — Cae
    Yeah, but I named it Wizard because I'm a big fan of Gandalf. — Mark Bowker
    After the band formed by the guy with the beard who left the Electric Light Orchestra? My PC's called Darren's PC. — katana
    Man now ELO is a name I haven't heard in years. No, it's more after Gandalf. — Mark Bowker
    10538 Overture rocks. šŸ˜ — katana
    Yep. Paul Weller ripped it off with Changing Man I reckon. — gardenstew
add a comment
FO
0 0
Replied
Updated

My Apple computer is called Mac Man. The PC laptop I have is called Machine.

add a comment
Replied
Updated

With my computer, I call her the temptress.

add a comment
Replied
Updated

I call my computer Gay for it is very slow and it's a mac, which I think is gay.

add a comment
RA
0 1
Replied
Updated
  1. Home PC: Portal 17
  2. Server: Access

I don't know why I call it that!

add a comment
Replied
Updated

This computer is called Sam, the main computer is called Kelly. The laptop doesn't have a name yet, and neither does my brother's computer.

Looks at her feet I name a lot of stuff. Some things I don't consciously name them, I just eventually realize I've been calling them something. Like my feet, I've been calling the left one Larry and the right one Method my entire life, only recently have I realized it. šŸ˜•

add a comment
SF
25 0
Replied
Updated
  1. My main computer is named after its id: 7jdj2j3 (something like that)
  2. My laptop is: Loveable George!
  3. My memory stick is: Snugable Fred
  4. My other memory stick is: Harry Larry

šŸ˜

add a comment
Replied
Updated
  1. Twain
  2. Hawthorne
  3. Bradbury
  4. King
add a comment
Replied
Updated

This box is called Alison, an old girlfriend named it in joking that she was jealous of her (man that's embarrassing, I'm not a social freak, honest), and my laptop has the equally pathetic name Liberty, as it was bought for going away to university.

P.S. Calendae has the coolest names so far I vote!

add a comment
Replied
Updated

Our server is called KingKong

add a comment
Replied
Updated

I've named my computer insomniac, because it never sleeps! šŸ˜Ž

add a comment
Replied
Updated

Mainframe 5. Mainframe, because I wasn't in the mood to be creative when I named it, and 5 because I had to rewrite this thing 5 times before it installed the Windows XP OS properly. Piece of %#!& OS.

add a comment
Replied
Updated

Mines called MY PC, Get the hell away from it. LOL.

add a comment
Replied
Updated

My main PC, I call him, Bobo Jones. This is because it does some bobo things sometimes. It is so jimmy-rigged.

add a comment
Replied
Updated

My 266 is called slow-J and my notebook is called EXbob.

add a comment
Replied
Updated

Half-terra due to the drive space being 447 gigs.

add a comment
Replied
Updated

PI3M45T4

All in capital letters because that's all Microsoft Windows would let me do.

looks at feet in shame

For those of you who can read, it's piemasta, hey people, I like pi, a lot!

Right, new comp, new name. Its old name, before it died was uber box, then as a dying request, as it was being partitioned, it felt shamed and changed its name to ouch stop kicking me. Then after a full legal XP Pro install and the mysterious disappearance of my soul(?), I now call it baby, and that one time when it crapped out on me, dell. Needless to say, mother got very angry. Now I call it baby and I'm sure I will call it something else in about 5 minutes, probably a four-letter word. Can't wait to have mac osx on this. — think.correctly
add a comment
Replied
Updated

Piece of Crap (it's an old Compaq, slightly suped-up). I've invested much more money into it than it's worth. I spent more money on the soundcard than the entire box. It has the smallest modern (1990-Present) hardrive I've ever heard of. 4.0 GB!. About 3 formatted. I've got about half the space left. I still love it, even though it's old. šŸ˜

Harddrives really reached over 1 gig mostly after 1995 or so. 4 GB was high in this time period. And the modern hard drive in the early 1990's would not be over 100 MB. So 4 GB is not small unless you're talking about the later 90's. My w95 desktop computer has an 800MB HD, my w95 laptop is 400 MB. Then I got the 40 desktop gig HP in 2000, and my 80gig lappy this year. I could fit just about anything on my 800MB HD back in the day, I couldn't imagine having a whole 4 gigs. — Sovi3t
add a comment
ZI
0 0
Replied
Updated
  1. My computer's name is bronnikins
  2. My car is called the beast (does that count?)
add a comment
Replied
Updated

My computer laptop is system.

add a comment
Replied
Updated

My laptop's name is Nikita. Have always liked the name and it just reminds me of a superhero-type woman and when I got the laptop she was pretty mean! My Desktop's name is Polaris. Got it from a Megadeth track, it was the name given to one of the ICBM's (Inter-Continental Ballistic Missile).

In the past I have had:

1. Jessie (Pretty name)
  2. Valkyrie (Angel of Death)
  3. Archon (Gave this name to a Linux box - big nasty machine)
  4. Psylocke (hmm wonder where I got that from)
add a comment
Replied
Updated

My computer has the name is MD.

Whats that stand for? — Rat
    Not everything has to stand for something, I just made that one up! — mas77
add a comment
Replied
Updated

If I call my computer something, I call it Rocky, it's almost from the stoneage.

add a comment
Replied
Updated

My computers are:

1. Main: Savage (long story)
  2. Secondary: Sleeper (not used much)
  3. Wife's: Pumbaa (She's a Lion King fan)
  4. Arcade1: Pacman (obvious reasons)
  5. Arcade2: MsPacMan (obvious reasons)
  6. Slave renderer: Degas (after the French artist)
  7. Entertainment PC: RIAA (obvious reasons)
add a comment
Replied
Updated

If I can, I'm going to spray paint my computer red and call it Zero.

My mom says I can't color it red šŸ˜Ÿ. Oh well, I can still call it Zero! — slashermas
add a comment
Replied
Updated

My computer's name is Big Boy because it's 17 inches tall and weighs like a mother ****. Sucks for LAN parties, but my monitor's name is Anti Reflector, Man I love my LCD.

My old one was Stubby, it was small and I used to trip over it in the morning.

add a comment
Replied
Updated

I called mine the skyDiver because once while on the phone with my tech, I was intent on throwing the monitor out the window at the time šŸ˜ˆ

add a comment
Replied
Updated
  1. My Windows 98 machine is called Tom.
  2. My other Windows 98 is called GoodTom. (since it's a good computer)
  3. My Windows 2000 is called WinTom.
  4. My Slackware is called LinuxBox.
  5. My domain/workgroup is called tomopia. (which is my soon to be website)

No, I am not obsessed with myself. šŸ˜³

add a comment
ME
25 0
Replied
Updated

I call mine:

You #@!$ piece of $#@! Why the #@$& do you always #*&$ up when I have something important to do!!!!
    HAHA, that's just golden! Fantastic stuff hahahaha šŸ¤£ šŸ¤£ šŸ¤£ šŸ¤£ — mr_darek
add a comment
Replied
Updated
  1. One named Savage
  2. Another named Hitek
  3. Yet another named Pumba,
  4. Still another named PacMan
  5. Yup another named MsPacMan
  6. Finally another named TV (yeah, I renamed it)
add a comment
Replied
Updated
  1. joe-com-winxp
  2. joe-com-win2k

šŸ˜‰ that's about it

My computers are like that too. raj-downstarts-work kids-school-1, etc. — SSH-Raj
add a comment
TR
10 0
Replied
Updated

Usually, I prefer to refer to my computer as if I were talking to it without addressing it by its first name, in hopes that it would develop a bond with me and give me a break. Sometimes it works, but sometimes it has PMS.

When it does have PMS I might call it Buddy, but other than that it is nameless! Shhhh! He/She Might hear us!

add a comment
Replied
Updated

My computer is called Mothership, of course šŸ¤£

add a comment
Replied
Updated

My awesome little computer is called Banjo.

add a comment
Replied
Updated

Erm, there are loads. One is called Neo, named from the movie The Matrix.

The rest just go by the name of the machine, for example, PB160 is another name, the reason being is the machine is a Packard Bell 160.

add a comment
Replied
Updated

I never even thought of naming mine, but a friend of mine named his computer PoopChute3000.

add a comment
Replied
Updated

I simply call my computer a single letter: G

add a comment
Replied
Updated

I named my original computer Colossus after the one in The Forbin Project that took over the world. As my own plans for world domination are running somewhat behind schedule, the new one has gone unnamed.

add a comment
Replied
Updated

I call mine Raven, the reason because ravens are usually considered birds of darkness, I love heroes that are always are in darkness like Batman, Crow, and so on. šŸ¤£

add a comment
Replied
Updated

My Win 2000 computer is named Hal from the movie 2001: A Space Odyssey with HAL 9000 that is a fictional artificial intelligence character.

My newer win XP computer is named Flash because at the time it was pretty damn fast.

add a comment
Replied
Updated
  1. ynyfrik
  2. chimp
  3. blackbox
  4. yushenko
  5. the monster

My laptop is SneakyYnyfrik, but SneakSneaky sounds good too.

add a comment
Replied
Updated

I must be boring I only call mine Baby.

add a comment
Replied
Updated

My eMac is called Doorstop. I considered Boat Anchor, but decided to keep to the one-word name paradigm.

My WinXP Laptop is called Carpathia, after a band I played bass in at WSU which was named after the ship that rescued the Titanic survivors (don't ask, I wasn't an original member). I figured mobile... ship. Also, that was the name of an old Linux machine I used to have at a previous job, which is where my username comes from Car - Nix.

My Fedora system is called Ishmael because it's a crappy old system that is clinging to life but is probably about to die anyway (the moby dick reference). Actually, it's named that because I'm a Melville fan, but also because I find the biblical significance of that name interesting.

My Win2000 system is called Xin, which is, oh-so-inventively, the last four digits of Carnix backwards.

Once I get around to setting up a real network at home (I can't afford the equipment just now, what with the new baby and all), I'm going to use Xin as the domain name and change the win2k system to something else. Haven't decided yet what, maybe Carter.

I've thought about changing my whole scheme to US Presidents which would be something like this:

1. Clinton - My laptop. Sleek, fast, powerful, and mobile. Lots of RAM and a bunch of ports and it likes using all of them.
  2. W - My eMac, hunk of burning crap, I'd like to smash it but it seems to be serving some diabolical purpose.
  3. Carter - My Win2k, maybe not be the greatest system now, but later, when it's not used as the main computer for the family, everyone will realize what a great system it really is. Maybe it will get a Nobel prize too!
  4. FDR - My Fedora, old, sick, it has a good heart and it makes good things happen.
add a comment
Replied
Updated
  1. Our Desktop is Eh, Steve!
  2. My Laptop is: The Cheat

These come from Homestar Runner.

Gotta love homestarrunner. Love the emails to strongbad. — vetofunk
add a comment
Replied
Updated

Call my computer: Blinky, which comes after the status LEDs on the computer case.

add a comment
Replied
Updated
  1. Main/Custom PC: Speedster - Also A range of different words when it doesn't work. Then when it does it's usually: computer, baby, whatever I think of then.
  2. Main/First Server: Server1
  3. First Laptop: Laptop1
  4. Second laptop/server: Server2

The server runs off of a domain so it should hopefully hook up nice.

add a comment
Replied
Updated

I call my computer: Nothing, and if I do call it anything, I simply call it: Computer.

o.O

Or POS, depending on my mood.

Yeah same here, we are not geeks yet šŸ˜‰ — madmonk
    If I'm not a geek yet, then I'll never be one. šŸ˜› — bluephoenix
add a comment
Replied
Updated

Well it took me abt 10 min to find a topic in which i can participate, Ozzu has changed quite a bit! How about my machine name at work place OLYMPIC.

add a comment
Replied
Updated

The downstairs computer in my house is call Adell as I was telling someone what brand it was (its a Dell computer) while talking fast and he said:

Ahh, thats nice, you named it.

add a comment
Replied
Updated
  1. My PC is called Reed'sPC
  2. My Server is called Merlyncat
add a comment
Replied
Updated

Here are some of my computer names:

1. Skynet
  2. Moon
  3. WhiteRabbit
add a comment
Replied
Updated

Interesting topic. At the university, there were loads of servers dotted all over the various buildings, and the admin guys used to give them names with historical meaning or something to do with greeks I can't quite remember. I remember they had a helios server which I used quite a bit. I remember one of the network guys telling me their meanings and they were far deeper than one would think.

The first place I worked for named all their servers after animals. I have to admit it does make them easier to remember as an admin.

My own machine is named Anduin. I have another machine called labrynth. I know my spellings aren't correct but google doesn't quite work when you are installing Windows. The laptop is called ladybird. And they run on the wireless network Attrition.

add a comment
Replied
Updated
  1. My main computer - Monster
  2. Main workstation - Work Horse
  3. Super Computers - Render Farm
add a comment
IA
0 0
Replied
Updated
  1. Windows Main: Albert
  2. Linux: Harold
  3. My Laptop will be called: Arnie

I always name things Albert. Since 2nd grade šŸ˜›

I guess I'll also name my Xbox and Playstation 2: xob for my box, stat for PS2 šŸ™‚

add a comment
Replied
Updated
  1. Solaris 10 Server: SOCRATES
  2. Slackware box 1: PLATO
  3. Slackware box 2: ARISTOTLE
  4. Slackware laptop: DESCARTES
  5. Windows laptop: doorstop_with_keyboard
add a comment
Replied
Updated

I prefer functionality over beauty. I name mine after the processors they use:

1. Main - XP2500b (for barton core)
  2. Server - XP2500server (same proc, couldn't have the same name)
  3. Utility - CEL1000 (haven't turned this one on in months, but it's there if I need it, likely to become a Linux box soon).
  4. Laptop - IBM1000 (700 MHz P2, I thought it was faster when I bought it (used), been too lazy to change it)
  5. Mac Mini - I actually don't remember what I named it, or if it named itself.

The future media server, no name yet, it's a case with parts in it at the moment and missing its hard drive.

add a comment
Replied
Updated

My nodes (computers) are on a network I call Logic so I call them all something and then Logic. My main computer is called CipherLogic where I do most browsing and Decrypting and Encrypting tasks. My server is called LinuxLogic (you only get one guess as to why). Then I have a render farm and each node is like RF1 Logic, RF2 Logic, then I have a cluster and each node is Hippy1Logic, I chose hippy based on High Performance
PC cluster, and instead of calling them the HipLogic after a body part that breaks a lot as it gets older (Hugs all old people in the world) I went with hippy. Ha! Now that I think about it hippy is worse but hey it's Linux and Linux is free like Hippies.

add a comment
Replied
Updated

My computer is simply named: Ston3dn3rd.

add a comment
Replied
Updated

My main tower is called Wilma and my secondary tower is called Betty and my laptop is called Mobile1. The reason behind the Wilma name is that my mom refused to call any of my pets by Wilma due to what would happen if they got out of the house. She was not going to be going around the neighborhood calling out for Wilma or Betty. So I figured that was the next best thing, name my computer.

add a comment
TA
0 0
Replied
Updated

My computer goes by the name: DAWS.

add a comment
Replied
Updated

My comp is called Voltaire, for it is a smart and screwy bastard. My house's workgroup is called the Leech, not too surprisingly.

Apart from that, I'm fairly functional when it comes to naming, for example, my hard drives are called Win32, Win64, and Linux, but I do have a prick of the hard drive that started of as Virgin Soil, and got renamed Maxtor Sux, and is now known as Cursed Earth.

I can't wait till the day I can justify a little HD golf!

add a comment
Replied
Updated

My computers are based on the Viking Gods:

1. Frigga (main)
  2. Freya (laptop)
  3. Loki (Ipod)

So far none deserved the name Odin or Thor šŸ™‚

add a comment
Replied
Updated
  1. smallville
  2. optimus
  3. whitebook
  4. whitephone
  5. touchie

The last two computers are actually mobile devices.

add a comment
SP
106 4
Replied
Updated
  1. My old PowerBook is sporkintosh.
  2. My desktop at my apartment is sporkintel.
  3. My netbook is sporkbook.

I'm not very creative. One of my roommates named his file server glenda, and since it frequently crashes, we'll often hear him yell from his room: "GLENDA THAT BI***!"

add a comment
Replied
Updated

My main computer (linux dual boot) is called The big mother f***** and my wife's is called the Mini Laptop.

add a comment
Replied
Updated

My computer is called my Sexy Beast.

add a comment
Replied
Updated

I just simply call my laptop Mac, and I set the password to be pretty.

add a comment
Replied
Updated

I named my laptop HOME and FAMILY.

add a comment
Replied
Updated

I've actually never thought to name my macbook (only computer I have now). Before this, I had built a PC using a full ATX tower and it had 4 2TB drives in it, so it was big and heavy as sin. I called that one Beast. I feel like my laptop is maybe a Jeremey or a Hank.

add a comment