Asked
Updated
Viewed
333.3k times

How do i tell if my computer is 32 bit or 64 bit. i saw the post about that patch and i want to get it but i don't know what bit i am

add a comment

21 Answers

• Votes
  • Oldest
  • Latest
Answered
Updated

I found a program but it really doesn't work that well. if it says u have a 32 bit i would guess that it is a 64 bit. i will post if u want to fool around

add a comment
Answered
Updated

I always thought 32 bit pc's had a folder called System32, but 64 bit had System64

add a comment
Answered
Updated

I have no idea that is y i posted this question

add a comment
Answered
Updated

unless you spent over $800 for the processor alone and it was within the last 6 months you are running a 32 bit system... 64 bit systems are rare and expensive at this point in time, additionally they have limitations. but if you want to be sure check your version of windows in the system properties and it if doesnt say windows xp 64 bit edition then you are running 32 bit..

to sum it up, you are almost definately running a 32 bit system

add a comment
AX
55 1
Answered
Updated

Yeah, trying to figure out whether you're running a 64Bit system or a 32Bit system is like trying to figure out whether you're running a Linux system or a Windows system.

If you don't know whether you're running a 64Bit Linux box or not, then you're running a 32Bit Windows machine šŸ˜‰

add a comment
Answered
Updated

whats the difference whats all this bits for?

add a comment
Answered
Updated

Just get Belarc advisor and run it.
Or go to System in Control Panel and navigate there you should see your processor there,but as Borrow a Geek says chances are we all have 32 bit unless you are flash with the Dollars haha!
Cheers

add a comment
Answered
Updated

Um, kinkaid, this is a 3 year old post. Look at the dates. Most of the people that posted in this thread don't even come here much anymore if at all.

add a comment
Answered
Updated

Um, kinkaid, this is a 3 year old post. Look at the dates. Most of the people that posted in this thread don't even come here much anymore if at all.

Ooops! gee whiz,i never even thought of looking at the dates,thank you for that ,i will in future make a note of the date something has been posted.
Cheers

add a comment
Answered
Updated

look at your motherboard

add a comment
Answered
Updated

If you want to check whether your OS/processor is 32 bit or 64 bit go to Run and type dxdiag and hit enter. On the System dialogue box you will seee the decription of your operating system and your processor. If it says Miscrosoft Windows XP/Vista x-64 or 64bit or titanium than your system is 64 bit. If it doesnt than its 32 bit. šŸ˜‰

add a comment
Answered
Updated

How do i tell if my computer is 32 bit or 64 bit. i saw the post about that patch and i want to get it but i don't know what bit i am

Good question! I have over 30 servers here and know how to tell in Linux by typing this command;
uname -a
but in windows I use winver and I get some info but as some 1 mentioned may be it depends on system32 /64 folder? Not sure tho, never seen a system64 folder before?!
lol

šŸ˜Ž
Oh I just checked and there are 2 folders under windows,(XP64) one is system32 and the other is SysWOW64 folder (I guess wow is windows on windows)! so there is a 64 folder under windows!

add a comment
Answered
Updated

For excellent information go to the following webpage:

Microsoft Help and Support

Article ID: 827218 -
How to determine whether a computer is running a 32-bit version or a 64-bit version of the Windows operating system

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/32-bit-and-64-bit-windows-frequently-asked-questions-c6ca9541-8dce-4d48-0415-94a3faa2e13d

Scroll down the page for your version of Windows.

Hope this helps!

add a comment
Answered
Updated

Heyo. I ran that CPU-ID and I've got an Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 Socket 775 LGA with an ASUS P5N32-SLI-SE-Deluxe and I've been looking and looking trying to find out if my system will support a 64bit operating system. I want to try out that Windows 7 RC and I'm not sure if I should use the 32 or the 64 bit version. Anyone know if they can help me out?

Thanks,

S

add a comment
Answered
Updated

Ok, the strange thing is that I accidentally (by total fluke) downloaded and tried to install the Windows 7 RC 64bit version and it would not run. When I realized my mistake and tried the 32bit version, it ran great. So I was wondering why I can't use a 64bit OS with a Core 2 Duo?

Thanks,

S

add a comment
Answered
Updated

I ran into that problem with Vista 64 Bit on the same laptop I am currently running Windows 7 64 bit.

add a comment
Answered
Updated

So, does this mean that my 64bit processor can't run 64bit operating systems?

add a comment
Answered
Updated

That isn't what I am saying at all. Your processor supports 64 bit and "should" run 64 bit operating systems. Like I said in my previous post, I had issues getting 64 bit Vista to run on my laptop even though my processor is a 64 bit one. On the same laptop however, I am able to run 64 bit Windows 7 without a problem. It could have been a bad download.

add a comment
Answered
Updated

No, I tried the same disk on an HP 64bit system and it worked great. I can't figure this out.

add a comment
Answered
Updated

really simple.. just head to your processor's main site page and look up your processors spec's ( if its able to run 64-bit it will say that in the instruction set). If you look to your Pc for help your not going to get much feedback. You can run 32 bit on a 64 bit processor.

the problem I am having is that I cant seem to run a copy of Vista 64bit on my Xp 32bit. gives me an error saying that i need to boot to install. how the hell do you do that on a P5LD2 motherboard???

add a comment