Asked
Updated
Viewed
207.8k times

I want to know how to configure an NTP server or time server in Windows 2012 Server? Can anyone tell me how to install this? I got one Microsoft KB article that explains change it in the registry editor.

That is how you do it. Are you using an actual time clock or are you going to rely on internet time sources? — grinch2171
add a comment

1 Answer

• Votes
  • Oldest
  • Latest
Answered
Updated

I'll just fill you in on a simple way to do this. This will work on Windows Server 2003, 2008, and 2012.

First thing you need to do is configure the domain controller to sync with a reliable time source. If you have two or more domain controllers you need to find the one that is acting as the PDC. To sync it with a time source open up a command prompt and perform the following:

Stop the time service:

net stop w32time <enter>

Then configure the time source:

w32tm /config /manualpeerlist:XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX,0x8 /syncfromflags:MANUAL /reliable:yes /update <enter>

The X's can be the IP address of the time server or the domain name of a time server such as time-a.nist.gov.

Once the command above is done you need to start the W32Time service:

net start w32time <enter>
w32tm /resync <enter>

The <enter> means to press the enter key.

Next you need to sync all of your client PC's to the domain controller. You can do the following from the command line:

net stop w32time <enter>
w32tm /config /manualpeerlist:peers /syncfromflags:DOMHIER /update <enter>
net start w32time <enter>
w32tm /resync </enter>

You can remotely do these commands using psexec from SysInternals if you have a lot of client machines.

Amazingly well detailed instructions. I tried to use them for Win2k Server but didn't work. So, would you know how to do this on Win2k S? — GreenGhost
    You do realize that Windows 2000 is no longer supported. — grinch2171
    Yessir. Yes I saw that page on the MS site. I was hoping there was a cli way to do it, though. That's okay, registry edits work too. Thanks for your help, Mr. Grinch 😁 — GreenGhost
    If you want command line then here you go http://www.spy-hill.com/~myers/help/windows/W32Time.html — grinch2171
    I want to use the internal clock on the server as my clock. I have changed the status to Manual, but it is not finding the internal time. I get a message that it could not resync becuase no time date was available after I restarted. — Wdoner
    How do I get my remaining servers to get the time from the PDC? I have set up the PDC with the information above, but unsure how then re-sync the remaining forest servers to use the PDC and the primary time source. — Silveringfox
    If I am not mistaken there are Group Policy Objects that you can push these settings out with to the rest of your servers. I'm trying to remember but I'm pretty sure a server that is joined to the domain automatically tries to sync with the PDC. — grinch2171
    The problem is that some of the servers have been set up differently over the years due to legacy and these now point to different NTP servers (I know not the best of practices), and not at the PDC. So how do you then change these to point at the PDC for their time? — Silveringfox
    What operating system? — grinch2171
    Sorry that would help. Mainly server 2003 but will soon have 1 x server 2008. — Silveringfox
    The above commands will work on Windows Server 2003/2008/2012. That should get your servers to sync with the PDC. — grinch2171
    Thanks for the instructions grinch2171. I'm trying to get my W2K3 S to get the net time from the PDC (another W2K3 S) I get this error when I try to use the CLI config: Unknown parameter for syncfromflags:'NETSERVER' Do you know why it's giving me this? — GreenGhost
    Nevermind, I think I solved the issue. — GreenGhost
add a comment