TUTORIAL: How to install PHP and MySQL on IIS

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

With the apparent increase of interest in individuals desiring to install PHP and MySQL on computers running Windows operating systems, I thought it would be beneficial to provide a set of instructions to help make this process as easy as possible. In this article, I’ll be providing some basics of IIS installation and then move to the installation of PHP and MySQL.

Some essentials you will need to get started:
IIS (preferably IIS 5 or IIS 6)
The PHP windows installer file
The PHP binaries file
The MySQL Windows installation file
(links will be provided for the downloads shortly).

Optional:
phpMyAdmin
MySQL Administrator

Let’s get started. Since you are installing on a Windows computer, you will most likely be using IIS for a web server, however, it is not required. You must have some web server running however, and you are quite welcome to use Apache or another web server of your choice, however, since that falls outside the scope of this tutorial we will leave that discussion for another day.

Some things to know about IIS. IIS v5.1 is included with Windows 2000 Professional, and Windows XP Professional, but is not installed by default. (*note – IIS 5.1 is not included with XP Home edition and is not available as a stand alone download from Microsoft. If you are an XP Home user, you will need to look for an alternative web server solution.) Windows 2000 server includes IIS 5.1, and Windows 2003 server includes IIS 6.

If you haven’t already done so begin by installing IIS. To do this go to Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs | Add/Remove Windows Components. In the dialogue box that comes up, check the option for Internet Information Services(IIS) and click the “Details” button. Select any additional features that would like to have installed and click OK. Click OK again to begin the installation. This will install IIS and start the web server service automatically. You should not need to reboot. To test your installation open your web browser and type in http://localhost/ . This should bring up the default IIS page. If it does, your installation was a success and you can immediately get started on installing PHP.

It really shouldn’t matter whether you install PHP first or MySQL first. I’ve simply gotten into the habit of beginning with PHP, so that will be my next step. To get the files you will need, go to the download page at php.net . The most current release available for download at the time of this writing is 5.1.1. This release has worked just fine for me, so it’s the one I use. You will want to download both the PHP 5.1.1 zip package AND the PHP 5.1.1 installer. Unzip both files to a temporary location and run the setup installer. This will install PHP automatically. The default installation directory is C:\PHP and I would suggest to leave it at that, unless there is a specific reason you need to install it elsewhere. *note it is not recommended to install PHP in a directory that contains spaces such as c:\Program Files\PHP as it can cause some web servers to crash. Answer the questions as they are presented by the wizard. I recommend choosing the option to add PHP to the Windows PATH environment variable when that option is presented. If not you can manually add it later, but you really should include it. For a good article on Windows environment variables go here . When the installer completes you will have a basic installation of PHP. This works just fine, but it is recommended to add the additional libraries found in the PHP 5.1.1 zip package. Simply copy those files into the C:\PHP directory. The following files in this package are already installed with your PHP and there is no need to copy them install.txt, license.txt, php.exe and php4ts.dll.

To test your PHP installation copy the following into a file and save it as info.php in c:\Inetpub\wwwroot\ . (wwwroot is Windows IIS default website folder. Any of your web files will always go in there)
Code: [ Select ]
<?php phpinfo(); ?>

Then go to your web browser and type: http://localhost/info.php . If your installation was successful, this should display your PHP configuration information.

Now we can proceed to installing MySQL. Go to the MySQL download page here. . As of this writing the most current release is v5.0.16. Download the Windows(x86) file (the 33.6MB file). This is the full package and includes the installer. Unzip it to a temporary location and run the installer. For the most part, especially for someone doing this the first time, it’s easiest to use the standard installation. This will essentially configure all the basic things you need to have MySQL work. During the configuration you will be asked which port to use. The default port 3306 is usually fine, however if you know something else is already using that port, you can select another one. Your “super” user that will be created during the install is user “root”. Root is the chief administrative username and can do anything in MySQL. You can add other users later after you’re up and running, but root is going to be your main admin access. Remember the root password you use. If you lose or forget it, there is no way to access it, and you could find yourself unable to use MySQL. Complete the wizard. Now let’s test it to make sure it’s working. Go to Programs | MySQL | MySQL Server 5 | MySQL Command Line Client. This is a utility similar to DOS for managing MySQL. At the password prompt type in the password you entered and hit enter. If your server is working properly you should get something that looks like this:
Quote:
Enter password:
Welcome to the MySQL monitor. Commands end with ; or \g.
Your MySQL connection id is 1 to server version: 5.0.16-nt

Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the buffer.

mysql>

If you see that, your installation was successful. You can type quit or exit to close the Client.

Now there are some purists out there that probably swear by that command line client and use it exclusively for managing their server. However, for us spoiled Windows dummies that are used to “easy-to-use” GUI’s there is an alternative good tool for your server management - MySQL Administrator which can be downloaded from HERE . The installation is very straightforward. After it’s installed simply run it. For your logon the host would be localhost, the port would be the port you used when installing MySQL (default 3306) and the user would be root with the password you gave on installation. Since administering your MySQL server is beyond the scope of this article, we’ll leave that for another day, however, you’ll see very quickly the ease with which you can add users and create and manage your databases.

The last tool that I listed as optional, I actually couldn’t live without it, and that is phpMyAdmin which can be downloaded HERE . Simply unzip the contents to a temporary directory. Create a folder called phpMyAdmin in c:\Inetpub\wwwroot\ and copy your extracted phpMyAdmin download files in there. Then open config.default.php in an editor and edit the following as needed.
Make sure the port number here $cfg['Servers'][$i]['port'] = '3306'; matches the port you used when installing MySQL. If you are going to only be using this as a development machine and it will not be connected to the internet or accessible from the internet use the following configuration for these three lines:
Code: [ Select ]
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['auth_type']     = 'config'; // Authentication method (config, http or cookie based)?
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['user']         = 'root';     // MySQL user
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['password']     = 'yourpassword';         // MySQL password (only needed
                                                    // with 'config' auth_type)
  1. $cfg['Servers'][$i]['auth_type']     = 'config'; // Authentication method (config, http or cookie based)?
  2. $cfg['Servers'][$i]['user']         = 'root';     // MySQL user
  3. $cfg['Servers'][$i]['password']     = 'yourpassword';         // MySQL password (only needed
  4.                                                     // with 'config' auth_type)

If this will be accessible from the web, you’ll most likely want to use HTTP authentication, in which case change config to http and leave user and password empty. Save the file as config.inc.php in your phpMyAdmin folder.

For some reason on a Windows machine, phpMyAdmin seems to want access to php_mbstring.dll . To solve this open c:\Windows\php.ini (or WINNT if Win2K) and find the following:
; Directory in which the loadable extensions (modules) reside.
extension_dir = "./’
Change that to
; Directory in which the loadable extensions (modules) reside.
extension_dir = "./extensions/"

Then scroll down to this line and uncomment it (remove the leading semi-colon)
extension=php_mbstring.dll

Now, in theory you should be able to go to http://localhost/phpMyAdmin/index.php and you should be working. “In Theory”. However, I’ve done four Windows installations on Win2K, XP and Windows 2003 Server machines, and this is where I always run into a snag. For some reason, there seems to be a bit of a problem with the MySQL authentication protocol that it doesn’t like. Since one of our members recently had this problem and rather than retyping everything, simply read the post here for the workaround to this:
programming-forum/setting-phpbb-board-using-apache-server-resolved-t55568.html

Well, that was a bit lengthy, but if all went well, now you should be happily ready to start serving up PHP pages on your Windows computer. My turorial may not include every specific detail, nor will it answer every problem you might encounter. But it should get you to where you have a good installation.

If anyone has additional information, feel welcome to add it. Good luck with your install!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good info for getting a lil personal web server up for local testing, or development! :)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks. I've been through four installs of this in the last couple months and none of them were flawless the first run through, so I figured I'd give a little rundown on the most effective way to do it without having all the issues I had to look up.
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: ./

Post 3+ Months Ago

You should sticky this before it gets lost in the other threads
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good suggestion. I went ahead and did just that.
  • Vincent
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have you though of upgrading this sometime to have different tutorials of different programs, eg. apache?
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: ./

Post 3+ Months Ago

Vincent wrote:
Have you though of upgrading this sometime to have different tutorials of different programs, eg. apache?

I've been handing this link around which deals with Apache, Perl, PHP, MySQL, and PostgreSQL on a Windows system:
hxxp://www.semitekie.com/viewtopic.php?t=8

*edit*
I've since removed phpBB from this site, so this is gone now. Sorry
  • fullfocus
  • fullfocus

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello:

I followed theinstructions on installing PHP and MySQL written in this post.

I have run into a problem installing phpMyAdmin.

When I go to my browser and type: http://localhost/phpMyAdmin/index.php, I receive the following error message:

Cannot load <a href="http://php.net/mysql" target="Documentation">mysql</a> extension. Please check your PHP configuration. - <a href="./Documentation.html#faqmysql" target="documentation">Documentation</a>

I read this material and I still am not quite sure what to do to fix the problem.

Can you please help me out?
Thank you in advance.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Check the accepted answer here (scroll down to see replies)
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Databas ... 23797.html

Although that problem is with Linux, the solution is most likely the same on Windows.
  • fullfocus
  • fullfocus

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

Thank you for the reply. I clicked on the link you gave me and scrolled down the screen and there weren't any replies. All I get is a button to View Solution and in order to view the solution I have to subscribe.

Is there any other way I can check out the solution?

Thanks.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Strange. It was there when I just opened it in one window and now it's not. Anyway, the accepted answer was

Quote:
After installing PHP on Redhat, add the package it is asking for (PHP-MySQL), then edit the php.ini file (you will find it in /etc/php.ini). Scroll down to the "Dynamic Extensions" section and remove the semicolon beside the line: extension=mysql.so

After that restart the httpd service (service httpd restart) then try to install PHPMyAdmin again. This should make the installation complete without problems.

Also from the documentation this is what it says about that error

Quote:
"To connect to a MYSQL server PHP needs a set of Mysql fucntions called the "Mysql extension".This extension may be a part of the PHP distribution otherwise it needs to be laoded dynamically .Its name is probably mysql.so or php_mysql.dll .PhpMyadmin tried to load the extension but failed.

Usually the problem is solved by installing a sofware package called "PHP-MYSQL'" or something sililar
  • fullfocus
  • fullfocus

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello:

Thank you for the reply. I thought it was strange as well.

I finally got it to work. Apparently, I needed to create a config.inc.php file in my main phpMyAdmin directory. Copy the contents of config.default.php into this file. Then, make changes in the config.inc.php file to: host, user, password, authentication mode, and pmaAbsoluteUri. I then needed to go to my php.ini file and make the following changes: remove the semicolon in front of extension=php_mysql.dll and set the path for the extension directory (extension_dir="C:/php/ext").

I was then able to start the phpMyAdmin file (index.php) and there it was.

To solve this problem, I had to grab bits and pieces of solutions from various places. Phew, it was a lot of digging.

Thanks for the help.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for providing the solution. The thought that you hadn't done the config.inc yet never occurred to me, but that would certainly gum up the works *lol Glad you got it.
  • fullfocus
  • fullfocus

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

The solution actually came for the documentation that came with phpMyAdmin. I tried the setup.php as suggested but all I got was the file being opened in Dreamweaver. So, I disregarded that idea.

Thanks again for the help.
  • nooniensingh

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am getting this error after applying your instruction:

------------------------------EDIT---------------------------------------------------------
Ok I changed everything back to the orignal state and I get no errors however
a window pops up asking me where do I want to save index.php. I s supposed to happen?
  • fullfocus
  • fullfocus

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

I never had a message regarding index.php. I guess one of the changes you made to fix the original problem caused this one. I would do the installation again.

Is the index.php in the main phpMyAdmin directory under wwwroot? Also, make sure that you have a config.inc.php in the same directory as index.php.

Also, check your php.ini file and set these two lines.

extension_dir = "C:/PHP/ext"
extension=php_mysql.dll (remove the semi colon for this statement)
  • nooniensingh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok part of that worked only I got an error athte bottom of the page about couldnt load php_mysql.dll so I put the ; back in there and the error wnt away. Also this is what I get at the top of the setup page:

How do I correct this I replaced the $cfg['Servers'][$i]['auth_type'] = 'config'; with http and vice versa, still the same warning :?
  • fullfocus
  • fullfocus

Post 3+ Months Ago

The "ext" directory was created during the PHP install. At least it did with my install. Don't forget you need to download 2 files to install PHP.

PHP 5.1.1 zip package
PHP 5.1.1 installer

Here's the download URL: http://www.php.net/downloads.php
The files are sitting under "Windows Binaries". It is the first and third file you need to download.

Try reinstalling PHP. See if you have any luck.
  • nooniensingh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Does the php-5.1.2-Win32 get extracted into the PHP folder?
  • fullfocus
  • fullfocus

Post 3+ Months Ago

When you run the installer, which is the second file you download, it will prompt you for a directory. The default is C:\PHP - leave it at that. All the files should be placed in their appropriate spots.
  • nooniensingh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Im not talking about that, I did the installer thing. The php-5.1.2-Win32 I downloaded has files and folders inside, do they belong in the PHP folder? if so it asks me if I want to replace certain files, all off the files match as far as name and size except one the php-win. Dont mind me I am just a bit frustrated ive been at this for quite awile...
  • fullfocus
  • fullfocus

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes.

In C:\PHP, create the following directory: ext
Copy all those files into C:\PHP\ext.

These are the extensions that are needed.

Here is what your php.ini file should have:

extension=php_mysql.dll (no semi colon)
  • nooniensingh

Post 3+ Months Ago

this is what my line in the ini looks like:

extension_dir = "C:/PHP/ext"./’
is that correct or do you mean it should look like this:

Also I have to leave this line like this or I get an error at the bottom of the page:

;extension=php_mysql.dll

this is the error I get when I change it:

PHP Warning: PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library 'C:/PHP/ext./?\php_mysql.dll' - The specified module could not be found. in Unknown on line 0

Also could this be part of the problem? Im used to using an older version of MySQL and the default intall local is C:/MySQL but I am trying the newest version and its install directory is C:\Program Files\MySQL
  • fullfocus
  • fullfocus

Post 3+ Months Ago

The line for the ext directory was copied exactly from my php.ini file. So, the line should read like that.

At this point and I know your frustration, I did this install three times before I got it to work. I deleted and uninstalled everything and started from scratch.

One thing that should be done and I don't know if it was, go to Control Program, Add or Remove Programs, Add/Remove System Components. In the components box, make sure that you have a check mark next to Internet Information Services (IIS). You probably do it just a double check.

Here's a link that you might find useful for the install:
http://www.davidcatalano.com/articles/tech/mt-php-mysql/php_installation.php
It has the install procedures for PHP, MySQL, and phpMyAdmin. This is truly a step-by-step process. The process is similar as the one at the beginning of this post.

Sometimes starting over, now knowing for what to look, may go smoother.
  • compaqras
  • compaqras

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi:
i did what u guys was saying but i got an error , i have provided the link location.

could u plese help me on this.[/url]
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

The error tells you exactly what to do.

"Probably reason of this is that you did not create configuration file."

You need to create the config.inc per the installation instructions or use the setup link that is provided in the error message to generate one.
  • compaqras
  • compaqras

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok after i download the config file then where i need to save it, will this be last step.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your config.inc file needs to be in the root of the phpMyAdmin directory.

Side note. I would strongly advise creating a different user than root for your database and don't use "no password" unless this will only be on your local machine and not accessible from the internet. root is the master user name for mySQL and if you're using that with no password for your database you're asking for security problems. Particularly since you've given us a link to the error and it's obvious now to the world you're using root no password for the DB access.
  • compaqras
  • compaqras

Post 3+ Months Ago

i have created a web forum, when i send comments to my email i recieved a error, i have attached the error picture.... if i am not worng i need to configure my smtp. but i did. still same prob. i am useing the smtp service provided by windows xp pro.. but if u know any good one plese let me know. http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/attachmen ... ntid=48701
  • malakite
  • Born
  • Born
  • malakite

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi there, i'm new to this forum and hopefully will get answers for my probs....i'm windows user, using IIS server, last nite install mysql, went through all the wizards stuff but when the execute button prompt, clicked it but the when configurating it tries to access the internet which current dont have and the process wont continue unless i have access of the net....is it crucial to have internet to install mySql database?

Someone help me!

Malakite
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 142 posts