Can anyone tell me where can i find "rpm" tool..

• a4asit
  • Kalkin
  • Graduate
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can anyone tell me where can i find "rpm" tool. I have a Vector Linux SOHO suite. I don't remember the version right now.. :? When i run rpm command from the console I get unknown command error from bash. :hmm: I haven't tried the
Code: [ Select ]
man rpm
yet though..
Please anyone tell me what to do.............

I have an ISO Image of FreeBSD (new version) but when I write it on a CD and boot the CD, it shows some boot messages and then stops abruptly.. :? I don't know what is the problem.....
From where can I get a reliable FreeBSD ISO image that I can boot from CD and then install on a partition that I have reserved on my HD.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Keep your threads separate. You already posted about BSD.

I stopped using Red Hat when I needed the new RPM to open the new RPM. Are you sure Vector Linux uses RPM?
  • Satwant
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Bangalore

Post 3+ Months Ago

Vector linux Uses tar.gz Packages.
but if someone interested here a mini how to to install rpm on Vector Linux Suit
http://tropicofvector.wordpress(.)com/2009/10/23/installing-redhat-rpm-packages-on-vectorlinux-and-possibly-other-distros-using-midnight-commander/
:)
  • AdamC
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Unless if it's absolutely necessary, I would recommend avoiding .rpm packages if you are not using a distro which natively supports .rpm. If you are not careful you can end up messing up your repositories and that can really make it difficult to get your stuff working normally again. I made that mistake when I first started using Linux and I regretted it.
  • Satwant
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Bangalore

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree with AdamC, i also have bad personal experience in this regard :)
  • a4asit
  • Kalkin
  • Graduate
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

hello and loads of thanks for your replies! i have left .rpm option for now because Vector Linux has a native package format (.txz) and there are plenty of software packages available in that format. ( :hmm: i think this format is supported by ubuntu also but i am not sure..).

regards!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts