GUI Remote Desktop - Windows to Linux

• 5N4K3
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can remote desktop from my Linux machine to a Windows machine, but not from a windows machine to a Linux one.
Anyone know what I need to do?

I've installed "PuTTY" on Windows which brings up a terminal like window .. but i can't get it to bring up the KDE GUI. This may not be a GUI allowing software .. I don't know.

thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

There's any number of ways to accomplish this though I would conaider VNC as an option.
http://www.realvnc.com/what.html
  • MISC/A++
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: UnderGround

Post 3+ Months Ago

5N4K3 wrote:
I can remote desktop from my Linux machine to a Windows machine, but not from a windows machine to a Linux one.
Anyone know what I need to do?

I've installed "PuTTY" on Windows which brings up a terminal like window .. but i can't get it to bring up the KDE GUI. This may not be a GUI allowing software .. I don't know.

thanks

You can also use PenguiNet it’s excellent software + it’s too cheap :) I know it does not support GUI though you should learn how to run your commands :)
  • 5N4K3
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

cool thanks guys :D I'll give it a shot this afternoon.

Yeah I do need to learn the commands, Linux is still fairly new to me.
  • PsyckBoy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • PsyckBoy
  • Loc: SoCal

Post 3+ Months Ago

FreeNX is what you're looking for. It is to Linux what Remote Desktop is to Windows.
  • 5N4K3
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

hrmm both realVNC and FreeNX look like they can do what i want to do.
This is just for learning and experimenting so I'm not willing to pay for them just yet. But mabye I'll give FreeNX's trial a shot.

thanks guys
  • PsyckBoy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • PsyckBoy

Post 3+ Months Ago

FreeNX is, as the name indicates, free. There is no trial version. I've never used RealVNC, but it doesn't appear to be free. It also appears that the "personal edition" isn't available for Linux. You may want to try TightVNC instead (it's free).

VNC and FreeNX don't do quite the same thing, so you should pick the one that does what you're looking for.

VNC will allow you to access the same desktop that you would be using if you were sitting at the computer. If you were to open Mozilla, for example, while sitting at your home computer and then go to a different computer and VNC into your home computer, you would be able to see and use that instance of Mozilla that you had opened.

FreeNX, on the other hand, gives you a virtual desktop on your home computer when you are at a remote machine. You wouldn't see that instance of Mozilla that you had opened at home. Anything you do while logged in via FreeNX is contained in that session.

In my experience, FreeNX is much more responsive than VNC. It feels more like you're sitting at your home computer.
  • PsyckBoy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • PsyckBoy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Spoke too soon. There is a free version of RealVNC and it's available for Linux. You really have to dig for it though.
  • sanjustudy
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • sanjustudy

Post 3+ Months Ago

hai,
have u tried VNC Server have VNC Server in both the machine that's it now u can grab the window 's environment in to linux or viceversa or linux - to - linux also
but if u really want to have some tool especially for windows to windows u can have
remote administarttor which can be have a trial pack of that and see the features in that

:idea:
  • PsyckBoy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • PsyckBoy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow. You should really try to use some periods.
  • tomrulez
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: England!!

Post 3+ Months Ago

Im using mandrake 10.1 and that came with a vnc client and server. It works great with no problems.
  • kiran.mehta
  • kiran.mehta
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

Xmanager is the best software for remote Desktop. and available at http://www.netsarang.com

Kiran
  • Dragonchaser
  • Born
  • Born
  • Dragonchaser

Post 3+ Months Ago

5N4K3 wrote:
I can remote desktop from my Linux machine to a Windows machine, but ...

5N4K3, can you please inform me which Linux distribution you are using and how you RDP to the Windows machine? I am an absolute beginner and would like to accomplish precisely that. Thank you in advance!
  • madirish
  • Born
  • Born
  • madirish

Post 3+ Months Ago

I should point out that Mandriva ships with tightVNC (http://www.tightvnc.com/) by default, rather than RealVNC (http://www.realvnc.com/). RealVNC is great if you want to put the server on a windows platform, but it's not free on a Linux platform. I've had pretty good luck with tightVNC but it can be pretty laggy, so it's not good for extended sessions. I got much better responsiveness out of FreeNX, but it can be a real pain to set up and get working properly. Overall I feel your best bet on Linux servers is to learn how to do things at the command line. Even with a GUI interface there are going to be certain tasks that will require you to open a command line. Linux behaves in the exact opposite manner as Windows in this respect - the command line actually gives you more power and options than the GUI, whereas the Windows command line is severely limited and the GUI is required for most tasks.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

You could also always use something like Cygwin/X if you just want to run individual applications from your Linux machine on your Windows desktop.
  • Janrocks
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: between

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm linux both ways, but on the server end the current app is vnc4server which should be available across all distros, and installs in the usual way.
My remote admin friend on my site uses realVNC which he got from somewhere or other *cough* .. We run xfce as the desktop for lightness and speed.

If you are running kde at the remote location then after logging on the normal way to start a desktop session is with "startkde" or "startgdm" or in our case "startxfce4" Obviously some applications will not work as well as others, but for our usage (remote admin of a webserver) we have experienced no problems.

Headaches? You need to write a script/add to rcS.d to run the server at startup/reboot otherwise you have no access to your desktops. I always forget that..
  • davidoffbeat
  • Born
  • Born
  • davidoffbeat

Post 3+ Months Ago

Anyone heard of Logmein? Basically it lets you log into any client computer with nothing needing to be installed except a firefox plugin.

Anyone know if anything like this exist for windows>linux?

Basically I work on a Windows machine, I want to access my computer at home but I don't think my company wants me installing VNC or other remote desktop apps on their computers.
  • Janrocks
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: between

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looks like what you need. Try the free version and see how it goes.

https://secure.logmein.com/welcome/get_ ... signup.asp

Whether that will work with a linux home machine is a mystery, the site has very little information. You will probably have to either add your work IP to your trusted hosts or destroy your home pc security to get in though. *nix doesn't on the whole like remote login unless it's by ssh

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 18 posts