TUTORIAL: Task Manager, Regedit, etc won't open (Part 1)

• sexy1
  • Born
  • Born
  • sexy1

Post 3+ Months Ago

:oops: ok i too had the problem with the task manager, ipconfig, msconfig among other things that was disabled by the administrator.....here is a script that works to change your settings so they will enable the task manager and such.....now when you copy this..you have to :

1. copy to notepad.
2. save it as anythingyouwant.vbs
3.save as ALL FILES

when you do this save to your desktop....you will see it is in the form of a script.

go to the saved file and double click on it.....it will take a second literally to run...when it says finished...thats it....you functions will work!

i did this and it worked....and it will work for you too...thank you :wink:

copy and paste this to notepad:

Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
With WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
On Error Resume Next
.RegDelete "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\DisableRegistryTools"
.RegDelete "HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System\DisableCMD"
.RegDelete "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\DisableTaskMgr"
.RegDelete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\system\DisableTaskMgr"
End With
Mybox = MsgBox(jobfunc & enab & vbCR & "Finished!", 4096, t)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• HMShakib
  • Born
  • Born
  • HMShakib

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you ATNO, your a savior(is that how to spell saviour) anyways i had this virus or malware attack! i call it attack because i couldnt do alot of things, and it disabled my task manager making panic so much. But luckily i stumbled on this forum and found your advice very useful. (Of course i went online after running a full virusscan using PANDA and deleting the virus)

ATNO/TW wrote:
Well, on two occasions now, I have had to reinstall Symantec afterwards in order to get it to run correctly. I have yet heard of any virus or trojan actually damaging Task Manager to where it wouldn't run because of being damaged or corrupt.

I have since writing this portion of the tute learned the registry key which controls whether task manager is enabled or disabled.

User Key: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\
System]
System Key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\
System]
Value Name: DisableTaskMgr
Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
Value Data: (0 = default, 1 = disable Task Manager)

If the value is set to 1 Task Manager will be disabled. By returning it to it's default value of 0 it can be re-enabled (although doesn't "fix" the root cause, i.e. trojan removal). If regedit is also not working, you can make a copy of regedit.exe and rename the copy regedit.com and at a run command prompt you can type in regedit.com instead of plain old regedit and it should work.

If taskmgr.exe is damaged you should be able to simple copy it over from a good machine and replace the damaged file with a good copy.
  • xoforia
  • Born
  • Born
  • xoforia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had this prob stated in my laptop since I inserted my bros flash drive. It had a virus ending in '.exe'
Its name similar to other folders in the flash drive(when I inserted it into my home pc, McAfee warned me of some 'w32... ' virus which replicates itself.)

The prob. is that my taskmngr, regedit, msconfig are disabled as well as 'folder options' is missing. Moreover, even in safe mode, m unable to start regedit ......as well system restore is not taking place

I fixed(deleted)reg value for system policy/disable taskmngr='1'(which should hav been changed to '0')

please help me to remove this virus.

and correct my reg entries
  • coolzooks
  • coolzooks

Post 3+ Months Ago

try to download NOD32 anti-virus and download fix task manager tools may be it can help because i've encountered that problem u had right now
  • gytzsgb
  • gytzsgb

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have two questions:

OS: Windows 2000 SP4 IBM Thinkpad T20 Model 2647-95U with 256 MB of RAM

1. My Task Manager does not start up on boot and does not run after CTRL-ALT-DELETE. I tried the regedit but did not find any DisableTaskManager variable under HKEY_LOCAL_USER ...../policies or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE..../policies. So I am assuming the default of 0 is still good.

2. I have a lot of FOUND.* folders with .CHK files from previous crashes. I have done a successful chkdsk /r /f since the last crash and also defragmented hard drive a couple of times. Would it be ok to now delete all the FOUND* folders.

Thx.

Mike M.
  • gytzsgb
  • gytzsgb

Post 3+ Months Ago

Was able to start Task Manager in Safe Mode and it now works after ctrl-alt-del in regular mode. But the icon does not show up in System Tray upon boot-up. Is this not supposed to show up at all times in System tray ? [ Or is it only when Task Manager is manually opened up ..?]

Mike M.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Task Manager is not supposed to be in your system tray unless it is running.
  • phowayoke
  • Born
  • Born
  • phowayoke

Post 3+ Months Ago

another solution is
open Run box and type "cmd"
and then type "reg delete hkcu\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\explorer" this is the simplest solution

before u type this registry delete
u can make query reg query hkcu\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\explorere
u will see
DisableTaskMgr value is changed to 1
  • ahqiu
  • Born
  • Born
  • ahqiu

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey hey check tis out im sure it helps !
http://www.programurl.com/task-manager-fix.htm
  • Gearu
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

For all of you still unable to open taskmanager, registry and msconfig please check my thread, hope it holds the solution for you.
http://www.ozzu.com/mswindows-forum/how ... 88783.html
  • sparrkumar
  • Born
  • Born
  • sparrkumar

Post 3+ Months Ago

i tried all the procedures u said but none of them work . when i try to take the task manager , msconfig it says " disabled by the administrator " please tell me wht to do ? its urgent !!!
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

maybe you're on a domain and the administrator has it disabled?
  • j2cool
  • Photographer
  • j2cool

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi ATNO/TW,
I'm a real novice when it comes to registry issues and can't afford to buy anything right now (protection-side note_I did download Cyberdefend which I did not see on the list at http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue antispyare.htm: it's one of those "scan/pay for removal software recommended by another forum), so could you tell me how do I open the file using Notepad? I've never used Notepad for anything, hence, the ignorance (if it's something obvious like using the clipboard; Ctrl C automatically saving to the clipboard by default type of thing).

"This file is located in c:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc. or c:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc (depending on what version of Windows you use) and does not include a file extension. In order to open and edit it, you can use Notepad, but to see it, you must select "all files" from the dropdown menu instead of text .txt files. If this file contains anything other than 127.0.0.1 Localhost that you didn't add there yourself, then delete the additional entries and save the file (be sure to scroll all the way down as some viruses add their entries with many spaces below the valid ones.) When you save, select File and Save."

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 43 posts
  • Moderator: Tutorial Writers