Created
Updated
Viewed
117.6k times

The topic of installing windows came up and reminded me.

I have a system with only SATA drives (2 x 74GB) & (1 x 120 GB). I would like to install Windows on it, but Windows only allows the introduction of SATA drivers via a floppy drive. I haven't used a floppy or even purchased a 3.5" floppy in at least 3 years.

Can I just make an ISO of my XP Pro Sp1 CD and add in a driver?
Or is it going to be harder than that?

I did a quick google search, but what I found wasn't what I want to do. ISO builders and everything. I have a program that can edit ISO's. I can mount it R/W as a virtual drive, and add in any file I want.

It's where to add the files that is the problem.

Basically to make a long story short:

If I wanted to add drivers so that Windows install could use them, where would I put them on the CD?

add a comment

2 Replies

• Votes
  • Oldest
  • Latest
Replied
Updated

I know this can be done. I haven't used SATA drives before so I can't give you any details. It will involve using some techniques to create an unattended CD.

There is a utility called XPCreate that will integrate Service packs, Windows updates, and other things you may want to include in your XP CD. It will even download any updates that you need before creating the CD/ISO. Currently, it supports integrating some Sata/Raid drivers. Check out the SATA page to see if your drivers are supported. There is also a forum at msfn.org dedicated to XPCreate. There is an example of slipstreaming the Silicon Image 3112 SATALink Driver into the Windows Distribution which may be helpful.

I was afraid it would have to come to that. Oh well, beats the days of the cmd-line based iso builders (which was like, umm last month!). Thanks, I'll give it a try when I get back from happy hour. 🙂 — GT500Shlby
add a comment
Replied
Updated

Less command way to Slipstream SATA driver into WinXP is using a friendly tool called nLite. This is a free tool that will help you slipstream (integrate) your SATA drivers into the Windows installation disk. Here are the general steps using nLite to slipstream:

1. Copy the Windows installation disk contents to a new folder (name doesn't matter).
  2. Extract the SATA drivers into a folder named "Floppy 32Bit".
  3. Run nLite and choose Next.
  4. Choose your Windows image folder.
  5. Choose Integrate Drivers and Create Bootable ISO.
  6. Copy and Paste your SATA driver to your image folder.
  7. Click Insect and then Single Driver.
  8. Locate your Sata Setup Inf file.
  9. Click next a few times and then choose Direct Burn.
  10. Then click finish and your Sata drive should show up in Windows setup.
add a comment