Created
Updated
Viewed
8.7k times

Hi there I didn't think I would be posting about this sort of problem, but as it is I unfortunately am and need your expert help people!

My Computer Specs:
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (primary OS for me)
Service Pack 2
Packard Bell Computer

Situation

I currently have 2 operating systems installed on my computer:

• Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
  • Microsoft Windows XP Professional

I had decided to re-install Windows back on my computer and had decided to use the professional edition, however in doing so it left me with the following problems:

1 - Microsoft Windows XP Professional - Slow, very slow
2 - Lost 40GB of my hard drive -
due to "Partition Starting Offset (40,583,531,520 bytes)
3 - C drive did not format when I re-installed it?!?

Hard Drive Situation

Just to let you know I lost my 40GB whilst I was re-installing windows and at the start (boot screen I think) in order to partition my hard drive I decided to delete one of the drives (since the hard drive was already partitioned) in order to make space and created a new partition but with decreased space.

I phoned my retailer for information about this and he said: "Packard Bell does not necessarily allow partitioning, since they contain information on the computer in a separate partition so in other words partitioning on this computer will give you problems".

What I would like

1. Uninstall Windows XP Professional.
  2. Get my 40GB back from the partition.
  3. Format C drive.

p.s. thanks for your help in advance I know this may seem long but please help, since I am going back to university very soon and would like to get this sorted! 😉

add a comment

9 Replies

• Votes
  • Oldest
  • Latest
Replied
Updated

ok thanks, thats the formatting C Drive sorted right?

But I have 2 windows operating systems, if possible I would like to uninstall Windows XP Professional, or does that software do it for me?

Do you know anything about getting the 40GB back from the messed up partition?
I have a feeling that once I put the windows XP cd back in I can get it back then.

killdisk erases everything. Your hard drive will be completely blank. All partitions will be gone. — grinch2171
add a comment
Replied
Updated

I see, now that makes a lot more sense and seems very appealing 😁

but I'm not sure if I made this clear or not, but in relation to the 40GB, that itself is not a separate partition, by this I mean I have only 3 partitions:

I got the following information from "System Information"
Backup - (the Packard Bell area I mentioned in my 1st post, which must be kept safe)

C - "Disk #0, Partition #1
Partition Size 29.99 GB (32,201,971,200 bytes)
Partition Starting Offset 8,381,560,320 bytes"

D - "Disk #0, Partition #2
Partition Size 90.19 GB (96,844,446,720 bytes)
Partition Starting Offset 40,583,531,520 bytes"

Sorry if this is a stupid question, although the 40GB is not a whole new partition, instead is part of partition #2, will I still get that back?

Also, if my hard drive will be completely blank, will it delete both/any of the operating systems, obviously because I need 1?

Just wanted to clarify, thanks! 😉

I'm not completely familiar with Killdisk but if it completely wipes the disk won't it also wipe the Packard Bell partition? — Alkatr0z
    It kills everything — grinch2171
add a comment
Replied
Updated

You will get all of your hard drive space back.

All operating systems will be deleted.

The drive will be like you just bought it from the store.

fantastic, except for the "all operating systems will be deleted" but I guess I will just have to re-install XP Pro. — playa13uk
    You wanted to re-install anyway right? — grinch2171
    well yes, if it means that I get my drive just like the way it was from the store, thats fantastic. p.s. all i have to do is burn the image to a cd and reboot with the cd in? thats so simple for something so powerful thanks — playa13uk
add a comment
Replied
Updated

Here is the user guide just in case.

thanks just going to go through that now. i'll let you know what happens, might take a while though. thanks again — playa13uk
add a comment
Replied
Updated

hi, I have finally done as you said, and re-installed windows xp professional, I no longer have the original home edition, both hard drives formatted (for the C drive I had to delete the partition whilst installing windows xp and then make it again since killdisk was not able to do it) however I do not have the 40GB back, which I am not too fussed about no more since everything else seems fine other than.......when I scroll down on websites and drag the windows around it is very stuttery, I am not really too sure why, any ideas?

p.s. it might be because I have not formatted the "backup packard bell safe area" that I mentioned earlier.

add a comment
Replied
Updated

The stuttering on dragging windows is because you need to update your graphic drivers.

Killdisk can and does delete everything. I use it all the time. You must have done something wrong.

Your missing 40GB is probably the Packard Bell safe area.

add a comment
Replied
Updated

phew, good news, I phoned the pc technical help line that I got with my pc and they fixed everything for me, all I had to was reboot and keep pressing F11 in order to be able to restore the computer to PACKARD BELL FACTORY SETTINGS, just like the day I bought it!

so its all good now.

p.s. the packard bell safe area is 8GB, and this is the area that allowed me to restore the whole computer, the stuttering on windows is now gone too plus I got all my drivers back!

thanks for your help though guys

as ever this forum is still the best

p.p.s good thing I didnt delete the 8GB safe area! 😱 😁

add a comment
Replied
Updated

You can retrieve your partition easily. You can rely on some softwares, such as Partition Table Doctor which I used it successfully.

add a comment