Asked
Updated
Viewed
19.3k times

When searching for backlinks in Bing, before I was using the syntax in Bing's search box:

inbody:domain.com

That used to work (also in MSN), but now it doesn't seem to be working? Does anyone know the new syntax? I also tried the syntax:

link:domain.com

That does not work either. What can I do to search for a domain's backlinks with the Bing Search Engine?

add a comment

2 Answers

• Votes
  • Oldest
  • Latest
Answered
Updated

It does not look like you can do a public search for backlinks on any domain, you can only do it for domains for which you have control or ownership. According to the answer from ATNO, it looks like Bing shut this off in 2007. I verified this is still accurate as of 2024.

Thus, to be able to see any sort of backlinks, you will need to verify your domain ownership in Microsoft's Bing Webmaster Tools. The name, location, and design have changed on Bing for this area, but you can see from ATNO's answer that it feels familiar to the current version.

That area on Bing has quite a few tools to provide you insights into your search performance for your domain. One of those areas is to check backlinks for your site which you are able to list by domains, pages, or anchor text.

Microsoft Bing Webmaster Tools Backlinks section

There is also a Download all link on that page where you can dump all of your backlinks into a CSV file and then sort or filter the results however you would like.

add a comment
Answered
Updated

You need to add your site to Bing's Webmaster Center. Once you've added your site you'll have access to the webmaster tools. This includes tools to see backlinks, outbound links, etc.

Bing Webmaster Center

In 2007, we shut off the linkdomain attribute in the advanced query syntax, but promised to make link data available to you as soon as possible. Last fall when we launched the initial beta of the Live Search Webmaster Center, we offered a limited look into backlink data. But we soon realized that for you to be successful, you really need more and better backlink data.

That's why we're really excited about the updates that we a have built into the backlinks tool. We've significantly enhanced this tool, giving you access to more data about your referring links. This information is useful because backlinks influence the rank of your site. But there are other reasons to look at who is linking to you. For instance, web publishers need to know which sites link to them because these pages discuss the products or services they offer, and identifying them can be a valuable tool for finding sources of promotion or feedback.

It took me two seconds to add my link and the report was right there waiting for me. The only thing that will take you any extra time is if you have to create a login. — Mark Bowker
    Thanks for that kind sir. I guess we just have to stick with tools until manual checking in Bing is okay. — Jenie0109
    Thanx ATNO/TW, it worked. I've added my website to the bing webmaster tool and it provide me with a lot of information. thx. — threetons
    For the most part the process is still very much the same for looking at backlinks in Bing. I am glad you posted a screenshot way back then, as we can now see how it looks a little bit different. — Brian Wozeniak
add a comment