Putting mini-golf in my backyard

• camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: San Diego

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm going to be putting a mini golf in my backyard. The gophers have destroyed the lawn, so I am going to cover it with astroturf and a few putting holes.

I will post pics as time progresses.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

nice ... my neighbours did that ... it was fun for about 5 months ...
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Awesome ! :D

You need a Bill Murray avatar.
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

righteous_trespasser wrote:
nice ... my neighbours did that ... it was fun for about 5 months ...

Yes I can see that. It would have its limit.

So what I plan on doing, is making just holes, not an entire putt course. This way the yard is not forced to be mini golf. It's just nice lawn that I dont need to cut..oh and it happens to have some golf puts in it if you want to play.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

I remember when I was about 10 or 12 out in the back yard hitting golf balls at the garage. And my dad coming out and yelling at me "MIKE! CUT IT OUT DAMMIT! YOU'RE DENTIN' THE SIDING." Ah...memories.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

kc0tma wrote:
I remember when I was about 10 or 12 out in the back yard hitting golf balls at the garage. And my dad coming out and yelling at me "MIKE! CUT IT OUT DAMMIT! YOU'RE DENTIN' THE SIDING." Ah...memories.

Haha ... same thing for me with tennis ... serving at the garage door ... lol
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

So yesterday I had this guy come and give me a quote on putting the fake lawn in. The booth at the show said $8 to $12 per square foot. When I told him this, he immediatly frowned and said the girls had no idea how much it costs (even though at the booth there were only guys).

After talking, he gave me a quote of $13,000 for my 600sqft backyard. Um, that's about $21.60 square foot.

Checking online, you can buy the turf for about $2 to $6 per square foot. So the cost for the material is $1800, and the cost to install it is $11,200? I don't think so.

I told him I think I will keep looking around.

I think he thought I was an easy kill and could rip me off and I would have no idea.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Surely there's more to what he was going to do than drop turf ? :scratchhead:
  • Chief_of_Information
  • Chief_of_Information

Post 3+ Months Ago

CamperJohn

I am a student at SDSU and recently put down a very nice putting green for my dad bach in huntington beach. IF you want, I will install it in exchange for some programming or website design tips. I am really new to programming, but I can definatly lay turf!

What kind of mini golf are you looking for. The one I did for my Dad was about 10feet by 20 feet practice green like you would see at a golf course.

NOw if you want actual minigolf I could start creating a list of materials and designing some holes, or you could design them and I will get that minigolf course down in the most cost effective way possible. All it will take is a couple of my buddies from SDSU and a 30 pack and you got yourself a full days labor team!
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just may take you up on that offer. I am excavating right now, and soon will be pouring concrete for the Jacuzzi slab. But after that I will be doing the lawn itself.

Are you free for a day or two around August 1? That's when I think I will have the concrete work done and will be starting the turf.

Give me your email and phone number. Mine is john@mccarthy.net at (858) 678-0197
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

So the excavation is almost complete. I thought it would take 1 day to remove the earth from the backyard, so far it is almost 7 days of work and it's still not done. About 90% done though.

There is way more earth than I thought. 6 inches * 860 square feet is alot of earth.

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/6362/p1010020ku6.jpg

http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/9306/p1010029nc5.jpg

Next comes laying forms for concrete curbs and the patio forms. I am putting a large patio where you see that lolipop tree.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Forms for curbs ?

Have you looked into a curb machine (not necisarily that brand), those things are awesome for residential projects.
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have, but not really excited about it. I need some tall curbs, some short. I am not sure how it can be done.

I guess I should investigate first - you're right.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've never seen one of those machines that does curbs higher than about 6-8" at the rental places around here.
Looking at your last photo there now I'm guessing roughly 18" for that part along the left side around to the fence. :(
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes the places I called said they only did 6 inch curbs. I think I will have to do it with forms. I do need a 10 inch curb.
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

For this project, I need a tamper to compact the crushed granit before I lay the fake lawn. Rather than renting a tamper for $80 a day, which would turn out to be 3 days at $240, I figured would buy one, then sell it later. I could use it when I want for how long I want.

I was looking for a used one, they go for about $600-$750 on craigslist used, as they are about $1800 new.

Then I found a going out of business sale from a construction company. They happened to have a tamper, brand new, for $550.

Here is the tamper I bought. Brand spankin' new, still in it's crate.

http://img501.imageshack.us/img501/4513/p1010030zm4.jpg
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

nice work on the bargain find. i love it when things like that happen :D
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, so far this project has been a breeze. Everything I need has fallen into my hands.

Did I mention the truck I got?

I was out looking at pickup trucks, thinking to trade in my Lincoln LS (http://www.neverbuyalincoln.com) and get a truck. I was pricing them out, and visiting dealerships all Sunday about 4 weeks ago.

THAT EVENING, only hours after looking at trucks, my friend calls and asks if I can sell her truck in San Diego, because it's not selling in FallBrook. She wants to drop her truck off at my house and have me sell it for her.

So only hours after looking at pickups, I have a free truck sitting in my driveway. All I have to do is sell it after I am finished using it.

I must have an angel. But I have no idea why. I don't deserve it.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

:lol: hah! I love it when things fall into place like that! Can't wait to see your course once it's all done. Sounds like a cool idea, certainly will save on mowing costs ;)
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know exactly what you should do with that truck, especially since it's not yours.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

spork wrote:
I know exactly what you should do with that truck, especially since it's not yours.

Hahaha Nice!
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

The concrete is done. I was going to do it myself, but just for fun, I called a finisher and asked how much he would do it for.

It was soooo worth it to have someone else do it. $1100 for two guys for two days. One day to set the forms, the other to pour the concrete.

Final pour - the white stuff is salt to give it texture that I will sweep off after it is dry.

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/6241/p1010067bp9.jpg

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/2026/p1010062js6.jpg

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/4573/p1010150gp8.jpg

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/1459/p1010161qw6.jpg

$1000 in concrete (colored, with fiber)
$1100 in labor
$250 in wood, decomposed granite and rebar
$220 for pump truck
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm starting to get curious about what exactly that guy who wanted $13K was going to do.

It looks like you're racking up expenses quick.
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well the guy that wanted $13k was probably going to buy himself something really nice with his $10000 profit. The lawn will cost about $2500+

Remember, the 13k, didn't include the concrete that I am just installed. He wanted that just for the fake lawn.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh wow.

was he going to come out and cut it for you once a week for life ? ;)
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

woah nice work on the concrete, certainly pays to shop around :)

what a rip off $13k the guy prolly thought you had money to burn or he just didnt want to do the job...
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

musik wrote:
woah nice work on the concrete, certainly pays to shop around

Yeah I really like the concrete work. I am sooo glad I didn't try to do it myself. It looks sooooo good.

Next comes powerwashing the main deck. The color of the main deck has faded since it is really dirty. So I bought a power washer from craigslist and will strip all the grime off of it.

This is a huge project...
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

It'll be worth it once its done though. I've powerwashed a wood deck before, it takes ages and I found left streaks all over it :lol: DOH
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

musik wrote:
It'll be worth it once its done though. I've powerwashed a wood deck before, it takes ages and I found left streaks all over it :lol: DOH

Did you acid wash it? I am acid washing it today and that should get rid of the streaks.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

You know what's funny? Every time I've read this thread I keep thinking to myself, I would have just shot the gophers and planted a Japanese garden.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 153 posts