Ibm Thinkpad T23 Boot Problem

• noboot
  • Born
  • Born
  • noboot

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, I have the impression that my T23 has the same problem, twmspro described when he started this topic. Ive checked the BIOS Battery, too (3.0 V).
So I read the manual mentioned above ( ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/62p9631.pdf ). As Ive never disassembled a laptop before (Ive already done it with my PC) Id like to know whether it is really necessary to diconnect all 17 parts ?
Quote:
1180 System Board

For access, remove these replaceable, in order:
`1010 Battery pack on page 60
`1020 backup battery on page 61
`1030 Hard Disk drive on page 63
`1040 DIMM on page 65
`1050 Mini PCI adapter on page 66
`1060 Ethernet daughter card on page 70 (only for T23 series)
`1070 Ultrabay 2000 device on page 73
`Keyboard 1080 on page 74
`1090 Keyboard CRU insulator on page 82
`1100 Hinge cover on page 83
`1110 keyboard bezel on page 88
`1120 Fan assembly on page 94
`1130 CPU on page 98
`1140 PC Card slot assembly on page 100
`1150 Speaker on page 103
`1160 Hard Disk bay on page 105
`1170 Ultrabay 2000 slot on page 107

Are there some parts that could still be connected, like the CPU? Which parts are difficult to diassemble or to reassemble. Which should I buy parts before I start reassemble do it (like thermal conductance paste)? Thank you for everything!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• mwalimu
  • Born
  • Born
  • mwalimu

Post 3+ Months Ago

mwalimu wrote:
hi
i'm a germa volunteer in tazania and my t23 has the same boot prolemes as some of you have descried here before: screen stays dark and a 1-3-3-1 bios beep is heard.
after shaking laptop slightly it starts after 1 up to 15 trys. when booted it works perfectly, no freezes or beeps.
i dont know much about laptops but since i'm in tanzania noone can help me here.
any ideas would be appreaciatedin the slot pr
could it also be the magnet like piece at the motheroard or the DIMM.
how could i fix it... do i need a ironyig thing (piston...i dont know the i dont know the english term) . so far i only have a screwdriver ;-)
thx in advance,
mwalimu

hello again.
thx for the help so far.
i found the problem for the 1-3-3-1 beep meanwhile:
The RAM (512mb, DIMM, left front corner of the T23: you just have to open 1 screw) wasn't connected in the slot properly.
I took it out and pushed it in deeper again...afterwards the thinkpad started without any issues each time.
after a week the problem returned, because the RAM got loose again, so i repeated the procedure.
good luck to everyone
mwalimu

ps: sorry for my bad typing in my first post, i was in a bad internet cafe with a broken keyboard ;-)
  • gt5841e
  • Born
  • Born
  • gt5841e

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had the exact same problem as described in the first post. After futzing around trying various things, I removed the motherboard. The two 'magnet' things seemed to be firmly in place. However I applied a bit more force and one of them came right off. I resoldered it back on, reinstalled the motherboard, and voila! it works!

Thanks twmspro!! (and google for finding his post)
  • rhydiansmith
  • Born
  • Born
  • rhydiansmith

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, I'm having the same problem. My fan pulses and the screen remains blank. I removed the mobo and found that the 'magnet thingy' was loose and I don't have a soldering iron. Anyone know where I could get something soldered?
  • D Shute
  • Born
  • Born
  • D Shute

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

My problem was a bit different, the t23 would boot, work fine for a few minutes but the second you moved it, it would freeze. I followed the hardware manual as indicated in this post and there was the magnet at the bottom of the case.

It did not come from the location posted on this forum (checked the bottom of the system board as well). I spent a good deal of time trying to find out where it came from with no luck, in the end I just reassembled the t23 without it and it works fine.
  • Mirakov
  • Born
  • Born
  • Mirakov

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had exactly the same problem on my mom's T23. The computer worked fine for a couple of hours at a time, but after that it always froze and only the CPU fan continued going on and off. Also the display had a darker bar at the top edge of the screen. Those were the only life signs at that point.

I might also add that the problem was worse while running on battery. It only worked for about 15 minutes and then froze every time. It always started working again after a few hours, though.

I opened up the computer yesterday in hope of finding a loose "magnet thingy". I disappointingly found that all three were attached, but when I applied some force, two of them popped right off. The one on the top of the MB and the one in the pictures above. The contact surface of the "legs" of the magnets had a worn coppery color. I polished them and soldered the two magnets back on...

(dramatic pause)

...and what do you know, that seems to have solved the problem! I was at least able to run the computer normally with the battery for over two hours, which is something I couldn't even have dreamt of before.

So bottom line, even if the magnet things seem to be attached, I'd still remove them by applying some force after going through the trouble of opening up the computer. It won't do any harm and I suppose they'll fail on every T23 sooner or later.

I'll do some more testing, but it looks very good so far. Many thanks to all of you guys!

Btw, I registered just to post this. :)
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for sharing your success story with us, Mirakov. Feel free to drop into the Introduce Yourself thread in the General section, or have a look around our other forums as well.
  • rhydiansmith
  • Born
  • Born
  • rhydiansmith

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have the same problem, symptoms and everything. EXCEPT I had removed the magnet thing and was on my way to solder it back to the mobo when I tripped over in my garage and the magnet thingy was smashed to pieces on the ground. Now what do I do?
  • FalconFour
  • Born
  • Born
  • FalconFour

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've got a T23 with the same problem. I took the motherboard out via the service manual, and sure enough, that part was half broken off the board. I don't believe it was the same part pictured (see page 5 for a working image of the part - the image posted on page 1 is now defunct), but if you just poke around the board, tipping random large components on the bottom side of the board, you'll find it.

My original problem was the laptop not POSTing but just spinning the fans up and down repeatedly. After resoldering that component, the laptop boots and runs 100% perfectly. Sure, it's an outdated laptop, all but entirely useless in the modern age, but, well? It still works. ;)
  • Ibm-fiend
  • Born
  • Born
  • Ibm-fiend

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I have the same problem. Ud think after all this info Id have it fixed aleady right? Well not so lucky. when I get to the mobo everything seems tight and sturdy but i still poke around and take apart and put back to only limited joy afterwards. But I atleast it seams that I have pinpointed the general area of the problem which is around the harddrive. Actually it seems to be the whole bottom right quarter of the laptop that is sensitive to movement and touch. But when I touch anything particular and then something else particular, I get the same response. which leaves me with no definite answer. I took off and resoldered any magnets in that area already. Can anyone tell me what I should do? Thanks in advance
  • crutonic
  • crutonic

Post 3+ Months Ago

T42 GRRR

Hi!
Found this amazing thread... I almost jumped on my IBM T42 yesterday..

<b>Problem is:</b>
No boot but the fan starts (it starts every 40th times..but only to stall a few minutes later).

<b>Done and noticed so far:</b>
At first the computer got blue screen often. After a while it started
stalling when i moved it.
Then i made a clean installation. After that all earlier problems went away but now it wont boot (as often as i like...).
Cheked memory, hdd, proc, battery etc.

<b>Ideas:</b>
I saw someone writing about <b>wirelesscard</b> on T23 and after disabling it the T23 seemed to be work fine. In the hardware area everything seems to be fine. But when i try to run the command ipconfig /all in cmd, it reply something that "status for one or several media" bla bla. (ITS in swedish so i dont know the exact translation...)

Has anyone seen <b>any magnets on T42?</b> Is it the same issue as the T23?

Best Reguards from Sweden
  • crutonic
  • crutonic

Post 3+ Months Ago

Strange...T42 continue

I removed all the screws so that the keyboard went loose. I removed the wireless card and put it back in. I still couldt get the ipconfig command to work BUT the computer booted every time.

I put the screws back on and....IT wont xx boot...
Anyone??
  • crutonic
  • crutonic

Post 3+ Months Ago

SO .... T42 wont boot problem.

Tonight ive broken the computer into tiny pieces....

The problem for me (as it seems) was NOT:
Magnetic things...
Wireless Card
Battery to Bios
Memory
Harddrive
DVD drive
PCI card of any kind
Tried all those things and sometimes it booted, sometimes not.

For me it seemed to be a groundproblem of some kind.
When i tightned the screws that contain the DVD (they were a bit loose)the computer seemed to boot correctly every time.
I've tried EVERY tip i got from this thread but with no success.

Now you know what i did. Hopefully this information could help someone else..

Reguards from a snowy Sweden.
  • crutonic
  • crutonic

Post 3+ Months Ago

I forgot to mention..

Still the wireless card works ok but i still cant get a result using the ipconfig command in cmd. No driver ive tried so far has solved that problem (i have a intel pro wireless 2200BG)running xp with sp2.

/Crutonic
  • crutonic
  • crutonic

Post 3+ Months Ago

T42 wont boot conutinue

When i put i the CAT 5 wire to the computer the command ipconfig /all works i cmd. I get result from both wireless and lan.

/Crutonic
  • Deele
  • Born
  • Born
  • Deele

Post 3+ Months Ago

I got T23 for a repair today, was BSOD with boot problems with winxp, so first thing, I searched, how to get a HDD out, got it, then understood, I have no such cables around, so I inserted it back, to format it, BUT bummer! It does not turn on anymore, I mean, fan, battery lights and power-on lights ar lit, but nothing happens, just blank screen, no post signals, nothing.
I opened it, took all dust away, poked the mobo, everything was firmly attached and clean, nothing!
For now, If I can't solve it, it looks like I am in fault of non-working laptop, that is realy bad. I need some solution, what to do! I have tried deattaching all plug-in cards, every memory, no change... PLEASE HELP!
  • rickg
  • Born
  • Born
  • rickg

Post 3+ Months Ago

picked up a T23 at a flea market today for $5.00 USD. Had the fan up and down issue. Found this site and tore it apart just to find the magnetic looking thing ready to fall off. Soldered it back on and it's working great!

Thanks everyone!
  • izuk
  • Born
  • Born
  • izuk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Amazing! My T23 was dead in this way yesterday. Today I found this thread and I fixed it!

Thanks a lot.
  • loveoldlaptops
  • Born
  • Born
  • loveoldlaptops

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks very much for this thread, my old t23 which I still use would not start and all I could hear was a wearing sound coming from the fan. I have done what everyone else has done taken out the mother board found that the little magnet thing had come unstuck on 1 side as soon as I touched it, it fell off in my hand, so after reattaching it. Its all fixed and works as good as new.

Thanks all.......
  • djmasterg
  • Born
  • Born
  • djmasterg

Post 3+ Months Ago

where can I find this part to be soldered back on the mobo? Can you post some photos.

Thanks.

PS.when I press the keyboard on the "Q" key or around - it goes on!!! there must be some part loose. I will try to find it out, but any help will do.thanks.
  • ubistvo
  • Born
  • Born
  • ubistvo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello I am new here and I know it was a long time ago for this tread
but i need help
I have T40 and work fine except one.
When work on charger(adapter) with batery turn off ok but when I disconnet the charger the t40 just start again and when i try to turn off he just reboot and same again.
But when I press the power buton he turn off but when I try to start with batery only he did want only when I plug in the charger then he start normaly.
I try to remove a HDD CD/ROM ...but its the same thing.
Can somebady help me???
Thank you
  • yaserkhld
  • Born
  • Born
  • yaserkhld

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks a lot
Perfect solution

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 112 posts