Ibm Thinkpad T23 Boot Problem

• twmspro
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a friends sisters Thinkpad with me and it has a severe problem. When you turn it on the fan speed goes up and down. Nothing else happens. The hard drive does not even start. The power-on light comes on which it should when it would function normally any how. I completely took the laptop apart and nothing likes out of the ordinary. I disconnected the screen connection to the mobo and it cleaned it. As in blowing air onto it then firmly reseated the connection. My friend and I assume it is the screen because when it ran for the last time pixelation started to happen and the colors on the screen became all funky looking. I will post a video later on showing what happens when you try to boot the machine now. I removed all parts and ran the system. The same thing happened. I am hoping it is not the system main board because the owner of the laptop leaves town tomorrow night. When I get home I will post video. Also I will post specs. Thanks in advance.

Added Info:
Video Link here

Video showing what is going on the fan speeds up then slows down then it repeats. Watch and you'll see what i mean. Sorry for the crappy quality and the portugesse in the background. Grandma's going deaf.

Specs: P3 1.13Ghz, 256MB Ram, 30GB HDD, Dvd drive, Battery, Windows 2000(Doesnt apply now), Used by at least 2 owners.

I tore it apart (very carefully) and everything looks fine. Took off the heatsink cleaned off the processor and heatsink. Hardly any grease was left. Recoated with Arctic Silver Ceramiqe. (Very good I might add) Everything looks fine.

A list of what is not the problem. (Checked many times):
    Hard Drive, Fan, Ram, Network, Moden, Screen, Dvd drive, battery, keyboard, trackpad.

What has been done:
    Repasted Cpu, Cleaned connections, Checked for loose connections, and Ran in minimal configuration. No nothing. Everything taken out. Ram all of it. Just the main board and the screen. But of course I tried with battery in and battery out running off of wall power.

Once again thanks in advance. If you need more pictures I would be happy to give them to you. If you want to look for pleasure go right ahead. Lol. Thanks a lot!

...This is a long freakin post.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• travisleesmith
  • Born
  • Born
  • travisleesmith

Post 3+ Months Ago

just wondering if you ever figured out what the hell is happening with the t23 thinkpad, my fan slows and speeds up as well and will not boot. can suggestions?

_travislee.
  • twmspro
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ya. We never figured out what was wrong with it. But the owner now has a new notebook that works so i'm free to do whatever with the t23. We think it is a serious hardware problem. We shall see. As of right now I have no solution. I'll try to get it sometime next week and see what i can do with it.
  • gigelypop
  • Born
  • Born
  • gigelypop

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

I have the exact same problem with my IBM T23 Laptop. Fan lowering and rising speed and no sign of the hardrive even concidering to boot. Would be great if a solution appears.

Thanks All.
  • twmspro
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've got good news. Not

The only way i can get it to work is to hold up vertically but a little bit toward your self. Then turn it on that way. If you move it past 90" degrees it shuts off the hard drive and the fan starts doing that wierd stuff. There seems to be a lot of problems like this with these notebooks. Good luck all. I'm am thinking there is a motion sensor inside of the notebook. Much like the ones in the new Apple Powerbooks. Good luck. I'll keep you updated on this.
  • twmspro
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Alright. Well i've permanently found the problem. This requires that you disassemble the notebook solder a piece back on, and put it back together.

The motherboard had a magnet-looking piece that got pulled off the mobo. Soldering this back on will solve the problem. When I get home from school I will post pictures and instructions on how to get this solved. (Hopefully the other piece just like it doesn't fall off. Thanks see you in 4-5 hours.
  • PassportOne
  • Born
  • Born
  • PassportOne

Post 3+ Months Ago

Any updates regarding this problem?

Could you post the pictures?

I'm having the same problem and could not find the "magnet" looking piece you were referring to.
  • twmspro
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Top of the magnet-looking piece

Bottom of the magnet looking piece

The place on the motherboard where it goes

I'm not sure if these pictures are too big or not but i'll check the rules in a bit here. Here are the pictures for now. If you need more info ask me.

REUPLOADED PICTURES!
  • al_ngl
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Kudos on the fix. That lappy works pretty well with XP now. I wish I could get a free laptop.
  • thinkpad23
  • Born
  • Born
  • thinkpad23

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had the same problem with the laptop, and I took the entire thing apart and checked...that piece is on the mother board and is secure...all of its "symptoms" are exactly the same as the topic creator. What could be the problem? I really like the pc and dont want to have to get rid of it.

Thanks

Jon
  • twmspro
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

I heard that if you leave it unplugged and with the battery taken out for about a week then you will get some more life out of it. I would take out the hdd see if it boots. Try running with minimal setup. The system itself, 1 ram stick, and the hard drive. Try that and report back.

Also some specs would be nice. (exp:cpu,ram...)
  • thinkpad23
  • Born
  • Born
  • thinkpad23

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok I found something very interesting...

When I apply pressure to the section with the thinkpad button, and volume controls, the pc boots. Then I read this on another site:

http://martigny.ai.mit.edu/hypermail/th ... /0089.html

TK wrote:

>I reached a solution regarding the T23 that would usually fail to boot (no Thinkpad screen appeared). (Some new questions are at the bottom.)
>
>After much experimenting, I narrowed in on a general area under the case that, if I applied pressure during startup, the machine would be more likely to reach the Thinkpad screen (and then continue to boot).
>
>The Hardware Maintenance Manual said, "1. Reseat DIMM's. 2. Replace system board." I tried reseating and even removing the DIMM's, but this did not change the behavior. Under a similar symptom, the Manual also suggested checking all connections.
>
>I gave up for a while, and just left the machine running at all times, rather than deal with trying to boot 30 times in a row.
>
>One day, while the computer was running, I noticed that the wireless adapter was unavailable (I hadn't tried using it in a while, so I hadn't noticed its absence). (Note that the modem was still working fine.) After fiddling with things on the software driver side to no avail, it occurred to me that this might be related to the boot problem. Indeed, an area where pressure often helped get the machine to start was right under the mini PCI cover, where the T23's wireless/modem combo adapter is housed.
>
>I opened the mini PCI cover and examined the connections. No obvious problems. I removed the wireless/modem combo adapter from the mini PCI slot...eureka, the machine boots perfectly every time! So, I finally found the trouble spot.
>
>I reconnected the wireless/modem combo adapter, and experimented again with pressure spots, on the adapter itself. One spot in particular gave me better odds of success than others. It's a spot not near the connecting cord nor near the mini PCI slot. Just a random slot near the center of the edge furthest away from the mini PCI slot. It's hard to tell what this might relate to, because the wireless adapter has an opaque plastic covering that prevents visual inspection of the circuits on the card.
>
>So...what might the actual problem be? A loose contact on the printed circuit board of the wireless/modem combo adapter? OR, a problem with the mini PCI interface on the PC itself? Whatever it was caused intermittent inability of the machine to boot, also rendering the wireless component of the card unavailable - yet the modem component of the card always worked fine.
>
>Would it be easy to find a cheap or free mini PCI wireless/modem combo adapter to try in the machine to see if it works? Should I be looking for "broken" T23's to salvage parts from? Are some PCI wireless/modem combo adapters going to be compatible with my T23, yet others won't? Would attempting to repair the adapter be an option, or pointless?
>
>(My T23 model has: "Mini PCI 802.11b wireless, Intersil. Prism 2.5 chipset, diversity antennas in display cover, Wi-Fi-certified / 56K6 V.90 modem combo, Lucent. chipset")
>
>Thanks to everyone who gave suggestions.

-------------------------

That is what I found...this really seems to be the problem...what is the next step with this solution?

Thanks

Jon

Specs: P3 1 Ghz, 256MB Ram, 30GB HDD, Dvd drive, Battery, Windows XP SP 2
  • twmspro
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

One thing you could do is completely take the notebook apart. Check the solder points on the motherboard and if any are loose solder them back in. Just be careful not to solder points back together that aren't supposed to be together. Basically solder carefully.
  • c2h5oh
  • Born
  • Born
  • c2h5oh

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've got the same problem here. It's not minipci, ram or hdd. The magnet looking piece was loose - the moment I touched it I had to solder it back on. Sadly it didn't help at all. If anybody could give me any other idea what to do I'd really apreciate it.
  • chonga
  • Born
  • Born
  • chonga

Post 3+ Months Ago

i am also having this same exact problem.

has anyone found a fix yet?
  • kommie2000
  • Born
  • Born
  • kommie2000

Post 3+ Months Ago

My T23 is having the same issue. I took it completely apart and the piece you have pictured was lying on the bottom of the case. any idea on which side goes to which solder point, or does it even matter?

Also, if you say that your piece is tight I would still remove it and resolder it. Examining the solder points under a jeweler's loope I can see where there was still flux under the joint and this would prevent the solder for connecting even though it would look like it was.

Wonder if we can go after IBM for this? It's obvious there was a manufacturing defect when these boards were made.
  • pcardoso73
  • Born
  • Born
  • pcardoso73
  • Loc: Portugal

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi all,

I also own a IBM T23 laptop and have a similar problem. My T23 boots fine and works fine, but if you apply a little pressure to the memory's area it chrashes. Sometimes it crashes before BIOS comes up, other times during OS load or during normal operation. It can take 1 hour to crash or 10 seconds.
When it crashes it just have to shake it a bit, or apply pressure to some points and it is back again, till I move the PC or something that makes it crash once more.

I changed HD and memory, and I figured out that must be the motherboard. I suspect that could be broken tracks on the memory BUS, but can't tell for sure. Any suggestions ? Well, I'll try to take it apart and check all soldering points.

If anybody can help, please reply.

Best regards,

Pedro Cardoso
  • Joergen
  • Born
  • Born
  • Joergen

Post 3+ Months Ago

I registered just to thank twmspro for the solution to the no power / fan-pulse problem.

My friend's T23 died just like that and I took it apart (what a chore!) as per the IBM manual and sure enough the little bugger underneath the mainboard (hardest part to get to naturally) was partially severed.

I knew its probably a sensitive multilayered board so I took the mainboard to a tv repair shop and they soldered it back in place soldered another one also and put epoxy glue to hold them in place in the future.

The laptop works like a charm now.

Thank you!
  • tarabas
  • Born
  • Born
  • tarabas
  • Loc: Germany

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi all,

I just recognized the same problem on my T23. Sometimes after a week or so it booted and worked fine - maybe for a week or more but then surely crashes again leaving the fan run up and down and nothing else.

After first observation of the mainboard there was no obvious problem as described above. But before I decided to reassemble all I used slightly more force on the "magnet part" which is an inductor from one of the many converters on that board, violá I had it in my fingers!

Inspection showed a electromigration problem which separates the surface layer from the copper thus loosing the part and/or blocking current occasionally.

After that I smoothly jiggled all three parts of the same kind and found another one on the upper mainboard side which also wasn't as fix as should be.

After bearding off the pins (until I saw pure nice copper) an soldering them back to the board - guess what - everything was fine again 8)

Thanks to twmspro and all other to work out and report that problem here.

If anyone is interested in further details please pm me.

regards, tarabas
  • Geomarc
  • Born
  • Born
  • Geomarc
  • Loc: ROMANIA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hy to all,
After I read all the posts I realized that I have the same problem with my think pad T23 (fan run up and down and nothing else). I disassembled my laptop and I solder the "magnet part" to the motherbord.
Unfortunatly my laptop has the same problem.

I 'm afraid to not solder the "magnet part" on properly way.(+/-)

Any help will be useful. thank you.!
  • hylai
  • Born
  • Born
  • hylai

Post 3+ Months Ago

twmspro wrote:
Alright. Well i've permanently found the problem. This requires that you disassemble the notebook solder a piece back on, and put it back together.

The motherboard had a magnet-looking piece that got pulled off the mobo. Soldering this back on will solve the problem. When I get home from school I will post pictures and instructions on how to get this solved. (Hopefully the other piece just like it doesn't fall off. Thanks see you in 4-5 hours.

Thanks twmspro your solution saved my $$$

I never fix a notebook computer before, but when I found this topic from a search engine with keyword "cannot boot T23 fan", I am delighted at least someone is having the same problem as I encounter and I might have a chance to fix it instead of getting a new one.

I following instruction available in the following link, for R40, to disassemble my T23:
http://www.quepublishing.com/articles/a ... Num=3&rl=1

It is close enough to guide you through.

The problem component, magnet like thing (2R5 N24 for my T23), is at the back of the mother board. so you have to disassemble the whole notebook completely.......

After soldering back the "magnet" to the mother board, it works and problem resolved.....

Thanks again everyone.
  • hylai
  • Born
  • Born
  • hylai

Post 3+ Months Ago

Geomarc wrote:
Hy to all,
After I read all the posts I realized that I have the same problem with my think pad T23 (fan run up and down and nothing else). I disassembled my laptop and I solder the "magnet part" to the motherbord.
Unfortunatly my laptop has the same problem.

I 'm afraid to not solder the "magnet part" on properly way.(+/-)

Any help will be useful. thank you.!

When I solder my "magnet", the foot of the model number "2R5 N24" is closer to the mother boards edge.
  • twmspro
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm glad I could help you. The T23's are nice little laptops. Very sturdy seems like to me. Glad I could help.
  • Koala
  • Born
  • Born
  • Koala

Post 3+ Months Ago

twmspro wrote:
I'm glad I could help you. The T23's are nice little laptops. Very sturdy seems like to me. Glad I could help.

Yeah thanks very much! Managed to fix my mates laptop using this useful info! Now working perfectly.
For those who are asking the part is a coil so it doesn't matter which way it is connected. Also the one that
fell off in my laptop was not the one featured in the picture earlier in this thread. It was very nearby on the
board and the coil looked exactly the same. So they obviously have a problem with poor solder joints on these
machines!

Thanks Again
Kev. :iconthumbleft:
  • danteisbadass
  • Born
  • Born
  • danteisbadass

Post 3+ Months Ago

when i start mine up, it goes to this text screen saying "media test failure" and "operating system not found" and doesnt go anywhere after that. once or twice its actually gone to windows, but only lasted about ten minutes before going to a blue screen that says "beginning physical memory dump" and i didnt like the sound of that, so i shut the computer off, and after that it would go back to not finding my operating system. what the hell do i do?
  • Koala
  • Born
  • Born
  • Koala

Post 3+ Months Ago

danteisbadass wrote:
when i start mine up, it goes to this text screen saying "media test failure" and "operating system not found" and doesnt go anywhere after that. once or twice its actually gone to windows, but only lasted about ten minutes before going to a blue screen that says "beginning physical memory dump" and i didnt like the sound of that, so i shut the computer off, and after that it would go back to not finding my operating system. what the hell do i do?

Sounds like the hard drive is knackered! It is located behind panel that covers the jack plugs, held in by large screw underneath. Replace it but you will need to completely reload the operating system!
  • suri
  • Born
  • Born
  • suri

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks twmspro, I had the same problem (fan low/high and no boot) and with your help I have been able to run my old T23 again. :) I was thinking to sell it off ebay as a faulty laptop but now its all working. When I opened my laptop the magnet like part was completely detached and was lying in the casing. This is definitely a manufacturing issue and should be reported to ibm. Now I am thinking about buying similar laptops off ebay to make some money :D

Cheers!
  • psisk
  • Born
  • Born
  • psisk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can someone post the pics again of what to look for once I disassemble the laptop and exactly where to look? Much appreciated.

This really is one great thread!
  • mhammett
  • Born
  • Born
  • mhammett

Post 3+ Months Ago

twmspro wrote:
Top of the magnet-looking piece

Bottom of the magnet looking piece

The place on the motherboard where it goes

I'm not sure if these pictures are too big or not but i'll check the rules in a bit here. Here are the pictures for now. If you need more info ask me.

REUPLOADED PICTURES!

These pictures no longer load. Could someone post some new ones?
  • yvon
  • Born
  • Born
  • yvon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you very much twmspro my t23 was doing the same boot problem i check the little magnet type and it fix my problem i weld it back.Its perfect............YOUR THE MAN
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 112 posts