• hexx1
  • Loc: D.C.

Post 3+ Months Ago

When I turn my Toshiba Satellite P25-S509 on, it gives

the following screen:

-Safe Mode

-Safe Mode with Networking

-Safe Mode with Command Prompt

-Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)

-Start Windows Normally

None of these options will allow me to start Windows. When I click on any of them, it goes through the motion of starting Windows, but then takes me back to tihs same screen. Is there anything else I can try?
When I hit the "s" button while re-booting, it gives the message:
<Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
Please re-install a copy of the above file

Please HELLLLLLP!
rajetrac@hotmail.com
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• snappleman
  • snappleman

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm getting the same error with my Windows XP home ed..

<windows roo>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe is either missing or corrupt.

I started a thread regarding this earlier, but figured since this was the informatino depository I'd add to it. I"ve read through all these threads and can't find a solution to my problem.

Right now i'm running chkdsk, and after that's finished I"ll let you guys know.
  • snappleman
  • snappleman

Post 3+ Months Ago

Anyway, i rebuilt the bootcfg file and now i'm missing the hal.dll file. What do I do?
  • snappleman
  • snappleman

Post 3+ Months Ago

On another note, I tried expanding ntoskrnl.exe, except expand is not recognized, however, copy is but Access is Denied... so I can't do that.
Any ideas?
  • hexx1
  • Born
  • Born
  • hexx1
  • Loc: D.C.

Post 3+ Months Ago

O.k., I've obtained a Windows XP home edition CD and am no longer using the recovery disc that came with the laptop. I have inserted it, had the computer boot from it, then pressed "R". I followed the steps and entered 1.) D:
2.) cd i386 3.) copy ntldr C:_____then the following message came up, "The file could not be copied." 4.) I then typed in copy ntdetect.com C:__the same thing happened, it said "The file could not be copied."

Am I doing something wrong?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

O.k., I set the computer to start from CD, then put in the Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition CD, let it go through the motions. Then did as you suggested, but it didn't give me the option to start from a partition. It reads:
Windows XP Home Edition Setup================Setup could not read the CD you inserted, or the CD is not a valid Windows CD. Please insert one of the following windows product CDs into the CD-ROM drive:[list of Windows versions], the the options, When the CD is in the drive, press ENTER or to quit Setup, press F3. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I pressed ENTER and it brings me back to this screen. I know the CD is a valid product because it installed on my home computer a year ago. The only other CD I have is the CD that came with the laptop, but it seems to be a pared-down version of this full Windows CD. Should I try that instead, even though it says it will re-write everything? That means I'll lose my data, right? Would it be prudent to take it into the professionals, or do you think they will be unable to save my files? Lots of questions! I'm in a conundrum now!
  • GetDone
  • Born
  • Born
  • GetDone

Post 3+ Months Ago

JrzyCrim wrote:
Hello,

If you do a repair installation of Windows (XP?), you won't have to re-install any of your apps. However, you will have to install all of your windows hotfixes and updates. You shouldn't have to do a repair install, however.

You can use the Recovery Console on your Windows CD .

Just follow the instructions at the above link.

Once at the command prompt, type in the following commands:

Edited:
Code: [ Select ]
cd c:\windows\system32

copy "..\driver cache\i386\ntoskrnl.exe"
  1. cd c:\windows\system32
  2. copy "..\driver cache\i386\ntoskrnl.exe"

If prompted to overwite the existing file, type y and enter.

If you receive a file not found error, make sure that the path in the copy command is correct. If it is correct and you still receive the error, then try the following commands:

Code: [ Select ]
cd "c:\windows\driver cache\i386"

expand sp1.cab -F:ntoskrnl.exe c:\windows\system32
  1. cd "c:\windows\driver cache\i386"
  2. expand sp1.cab -F:ntoskrnl.exe c:\windows\system32

Again, if you are prompted to overwrite the file, type y and then enter.

Also, if your OS is installed on a partition/drive other than C:, then replace any occurance of C: with the correct letter. (D: for example).

Replace any occurence of 'windows' with what is appropriate for your system. (winnt for example)

Reboot. Your system should start up normally.

well Im glad being registered here and expecting a big help which will highly be appreciated .

My Problem:
My laptop is not allowing me to get back to my desktop. An error message that appears is as follows " windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>system32\ntoskrnl.exe.
Please re-install a copy of the above file. "

Went to Safe Mode but couldnt do anything yet. How can I fix it or just can delete the complete root and Install XP again ? Thanks .. Appreciate your Help :D
  • Alkatr0z
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Alkatr0z
  • Loc: Adelaide, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Did you follow JrzyCrim's instructions? Its not the Safe mode that he is talking about there but the "Recovery Console". I see that his link has died in the meantime and takes you to the homepage of another website now so here is a link to the relevant Microsoft help: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654 The relevant part for you is under "How to use the Recovery Console" where it details how to boot into the recovery console using your CD.

Other than that to reinstall XP you just need to use your XP CD to boot from again.
  • GetDone
  • Born
  • Born
  • GetDone

Post 3+ Months Ago

Alkatr0z wrote:
Did you follow JrzyCrim's instructions? Its not the Safe mode that he is talking about there but the "Recovery Console". I see that his link has died in the meantime and takes you to the homepage of another website now so here is a link to the relevant Microsoft help: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654 The relevant part for you is under "How to use the Recovery Console" where it details how to boot into the recovery console using your CD.

Other than that to reinstall XP you just need to use your XP CD to boot from again.

Thanks for the reply :) but my problem is even if I put the XP-CD in my CD rom , I dont get any option to " boot it from cd " . All I get that message else things wouldnt be that hard for me to resolve :) .
Im looking forward and I do believe someone will take my problem seriously and would help me to get rid of it ......thanks
  • Alkatr0z
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Alkatr0z

Post 3+ Months Ago

When your computer boots up press "Del"(or if that doesn't work look at the black screen where it counts up your RAM to see what key to press" to enter the BIOS. Look around through the menus to find "Boot Order" Make sure that your CDROM is in the boot order before HDD-0. A typical boot order goes Floppy(if you have one), CD-ROM, HDD-0.
  • moniand1
  • Born
  • Born
  • moniand1
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

:? May I add to the confusion? I've tried to follow all these instructions but when I press <R> to get into Recovery Console I get a different kind of error message: Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer. It gives no options. Only to press F3 to quit.

It is a new notebook and was working perfectly fine until yesterday when I could not start it because of the "<Windows root?\system32\ntoskrnl.exe." error message.

I would love any assistance.
  • Alkatr0z
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Alkatr0z

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmm in your case moniand1 follow the instructions I gave above to boot into the BIOS but in your case rather than checking the boot order. Look around for a piece that has "Primary Master" and "Primary Slave" or Primary Secondary and check that they are set to Auto.

After that your best shot might actually be to use a LiveCD of some variety. It sounds possible that your partition table is shot in which case booting from a LiveCD might enable you to rebuild it. The program Partition Table Doctor was mentioned earlier in this forum by somebody and might be of help. To use this one you will need to use Barts PE Windows XP LiveCD. and add the application to it.

Links:
Partition Table Doctor: http://www.ptdd.com/
Bart's PE: http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/
Unfortunately you have to build Bart's PE yourself and you need to have the full XP SP 1 distribution exe to slipstream with the original Windows CD(Bart's PE explains how to do this).

Or finally if the data on the drive is not an issue at all. Is this a namebrand laptop like HP or Compaq? They quite often have a "recovery partition" that allows you to restore the computer to what it was when it came out of the factory, a call to their technical support would reveal what the key to press is. Though you will lose anything you have put on the hard drive since. Another method if its not a namebrand is to use killdisk. More full instructions are here:http://www.ozzu.com/ftopic68188-15.html
  • Mear
  • Born
  • Born
  • Mear

Post 3+ Months Ago

i have this problem:
installed vista on 1st HD
installed xp on 2nd HD
after 6h of work and rebooting without problems the pc cant start xp any more -bluescreen
vista doesn´t want to work too it says bootmgr missing ...

when i tryed to reinstall vista it says ntoskrnl.exe missing or corrupt >repair vista with the dvd...
if i try to reinstall vista i get a message that some files are missing

so i cant boot windows and i cant reinstall it on a brand new computer that functioned 1 hour ago

can it be that the dvd-rw or the hdd is corrupt?
  • Mear
  • Born
  • Born
  • Mear

Post 3+ Months Ago

found my problem: 1 of my rams was "out of order"
  • Alkatr0z
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Alkatr0z

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ahh classic problem. For anyone who has this problem who wants to test their RAM there is a program called MemTest that you can create a bootable floppy/CD-ROM and it will check your RAM for you if you start up your computer with it in the appropriate drive. http://www.memtest.org/
  • GetDone
  • Born
  • Born
  • GetDone

Post 3+ Months Ago

Alkatr0z wrote:
When your computer boots up press "Del"(or if that doesn't work look at the black screen where it counts up your RAM to see what key to press" to enter the BIOS. Look around through the menus to find "Boot Order" Make sure that your CDROM is in the boot order before HDD-0. A typical boot order goes Floppy(if you have one), CD-ROM, HDD-0.

Considering myself as an idiot at this point but yeah! the problem has been resolved :P .

Thanks Guys , thanks alot to the Owner/Members of this forum and an special thanks to Alkatr0z for pointing "Boot Order" ( the only thing which I was missing lol ). HIGHLY APPRECIATE :D
  • capitalistic1
  • Born
  • Born
  • capitalistic1

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm having this same problem:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

<Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe.
Please reinstall a copy of the above file."

I am running windows xp pro- not sure why it has an "nt"oskrnl

I started to use the Automated System Recovery from the windows CD but it was loading a lot of files and I was concerned about loosing data- I have a ton of files I NEED to save

Anybody know if using this Automated System Recovery will overwrite my files as in a re-install of Windows?

Also, it is a CD from my HP, can't find the CD for my IBM laptop, this shouldn't matter should it?
  • capitalistic1
  • Born
  • Born
  • capitalistic1

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually, I don't think I made it to Automated System Recovery as I didn't press F2 fast enough and SETUP began loading files. Is the "recovery Console" part of the Automated System Recovery?

Hoping I didn't start overwriting the drive........
  • edzik21
  • Born
  • Born
  • edzik21

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi all !
I have the problem :
When I turn on my computer I have a message :

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
Please re-install a copy of above file.

Try to do by stpes:
1) I have the problem:
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
Please re-install a copy of above file.

2) I put my cd ( Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition ) in cd-rom
3) then restart my computer and see something like this :
Press any key to boot from CD....
I press any button let it be A
4) then I see :
Setup is inspecting your computer's hardware configuration
5) I am waitting some 5 minutes and see next:
Windows Xp Home Edition setup
Welcome to setup
I see 3 choses :
To set up Windows Xp press Enter
To repair a Windows Xp installation using Recovery Console press R
to quit setup with out installation Windows XP pres F3

I press R

Now I am in Recovery Console ! and see something like this :

Microsoft Windows XP<TM> Recovery Console.
The Recovery Console provides system repair and recovery functionality.
Type EXIT to quit the Recovery Console and restart the computer.

1: C:\Windows

Wich Windows installation would you like to log onto
<To cancel, press ENTER>?

I write 1 and press enter

And see next :

type the Administrator password:
I type a password and press Enter

now I see :

C:\Windows>

Can someone tell my what I need to write next ? ( I have 10 mb very important files on my computer and I do not wnat to format because I will lose them ( I know how to format it easy

thanks !
  • Alkatr0z
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Alkatr0z

Post 3+ Months Ago

The command to use is:
expand Cd drive:\i386\Ntoskrnl.EX_ C:\windows\system32
So for example if your CD ROM Drive is normally D:
you would use:
expand D:\i386\ntoskrnl.ex_ C:\windows\system32

If it fails because it says the destination is read only you will need to use this command and then try the expanding again:
attrib -R C:\windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
  • Arganamis
  • Born
  • Born
  • Arganamis

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi all currently seeking help regarding this same problem with the ntoskrnl.exe.

I am running Windows 2000 Advanced Server, and our system took a power hit which I believe led to the hard drives getting corrupted krnl file.
First problem was the NTDETECT Failure, I've fixed that with a start up disk with my other server I have copied the files directly to a diskette and have gotten it now to choose an OS. 2 Options being Windows 2000 Server, or 2000 Recovery Console, either option leads me to the same error, cannot load ntoskrnl.exe.

My system is currently setup as a SCSI Raid 5 configuration. I've tried to place my windows cd and repair it manually, however when I attempt to access the hard disk drives it gives me an error stating "Cannot detect any hard disk drive ect ect" I'm basically stuck at this point. I do not know how to load my ntoskrnl.exe back to normal. I've tried entering DOS mode and copying from my system32/cache/ntoskrl.exe however its telling me that the directory does not exists, and when I type DIR in dos from C:\ it doesn't even look as if an operating system is even there, however it still shows up at the OS menu when I boot the computer.

Any help is grately appreciated. I currently have over 85 people with no email who are hating me right now. lol.

Thanks all.
-Tony
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do you have any backups?
  • Arganamis
  • Born
  • Born
  • Arganamis

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, I do have backups, but not a full system backup. Its more of a system state / microsoft exchange mailboxes backup. However backups are 10 days behind or so, but I'd say thats better than nothing =x

Would you possibly know why Im unable to restore from a Win2000 CD? I'm not too saavy with scsi/raid configurations so Im just learning as I go.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Probably because you need the SCSI drivers in order to install. When you boot off the install disk at the bottom it should say something like Press F6 to load SCSI/RAID drivers. You would press F6 and then insert your floppy disk containing the RAID drivers. This enables Windows to properly install onto an Array.
  • edzik21
  • Born
  • Born
  • edzik21

Post 3+ Months Ago

The command to use is:
you would use:

If it fails because it says the destination is read only you will need to use this command and then try the expanding again:

Whwn I write the comand :

Then I see :

The system cannot find the file or directory specified.

:( :(

I do not know maybe I write something wrong can you tell me ?
  • edzik21
  • Born
  • Born
  • edzik21

Post 3+ Months Ago

And else How to know my CD letter ?
  • edzik21
  • Born
  • Born
  • edzik21

Post 3+ Months Ago

YEEEEEEE Thanks I have done it

My letter is E :) it works I have get my documents back and know I can format windows :)
  • Nox_Noctis
  • Born
  • Born
  • Nox_Noctis

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi.
I'm having the same problem with the ntoskrnl.exe

It's actually happened twice in one day - I fixed it once (or thought I did), and it happened later on the same night (tonight).

But, my problem is that my keyboard locks up/freezes, preventing me from accessing any of the menues (boot menu/bios; system recovery; etc).

So. D: Yeah.
  • Alkatr0z
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Alkatr0z

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would suggest you do a thorough check of your hardware Nox_Noctis. Start with your RAM and do a chkdsk. If those both pass then might be a good idea to check the power supply and the motherboard. Have you tried a different keyboard by the way?
RAM: http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
Hard Drive: In Recovery Console(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058) after logging in type chkdsk C: /p /r
  • Steph_h16
  • Born
  • Born
  • Steph_h16

Post 3+ Months Ago

hiya! im having a problem too!

when i start my computer it doesnt start up and it says the
<windows root>/system32/ntoskrnl.exe
is mssing or corrupted.

i havent kept any of my installation disc and i dont know what to do please help!

thanks steph
  • Alkatr0z
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Alkatr0z

Post 3+ Months Ago

I hate to say it but you are not in a good situation. I don't suppose you happened to Install the Recovery Console to your hard drive?
This might be your best bet: http://www.tweakxp.com/article36941.aspx. All the steps mentioned above use Recovery Console because ntoskrnl.exe is always in use when windows is running. After downloading and burning that image file restart. Unfortunately I haven't used it myself but imagine it is just the windows xp recovery console without the rest of the windows setup.

Quote:
The command to use is:

you would use:

• Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 233 posts