ntoskrnl.exe is corrupted. windows wont open

• Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

How about we go to page number 1 of this post?

http://www.ozzu.com/mswindows-forum/ntoskrnl-exe-corrupted-windows-wont-open-t24580.html

Read the first post by JrzyCrim and you'll catch on.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• BoBoi
  • Born
  • Born
  • BoBoi
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

missing or corrupt ntoskrnl.exe

I've encountered this problem also and tried the recovery console, but every command came back as

"the system cannot find the file or directory specified"

or

"Error: Faile to add selected boot entry to the boot list

It seems like the recovery console can't see the rest of the c:\ drive - also that there's no existence of a boot entry and can't add one

Also that there was no option to Select the operating system, as it states in many procedure of rebuilding the Windows boot?

CHKDSK /r - went to 50% then it stopped and stated that some couldn't be repair :shock:

I use a Vaio S-Series - I have so many important files and can't afford to lose them

What should I do now? Please help

Thank You
  • Alkatr0z
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Alkatr0z
  • Loc: Adelaide, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ouch notebook. That puts my first suggestion out the window. Next suggestion: Try a linux/windows XP liveCD. Both should have utilities to check the integrity of your hard drive because I'm not real hopeful at the moment that you hard drive isn't on the way out. If you have an external hard drive as well.. Hook it up and try using the LiveCD to backup any data possible as well.

You could try:
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ or the windows version that is linked to on that site(it requires more work to get it set up though)
Ubuntu has a downloadable Live CD I believe as well.
And for a massive list of Live CD's..
http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php
  • dickinsonsk
  • dickinsonsk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here's what happened to me and what I did to fix it. Windows 2000. Dell Optiplex GX-280. SATA HD.

First, Why did I get this problem. I moved to a new pod at work and ignored the little voice in my head that said to make an image of the machine's hard drive before moving :oops: . I set up in the new pod and plugged my computer in and halfway through the boot process the power (on the surge protected) outlet went out. So power interruption was my culprit. I got the dreaded ntoskrnl.exe is missing or corrupt (boy was it ever) error.

I tried the recovery console and ran CHKDSK /P /R. A few interesting things happened. (1) I was not prompted for which installation I wanted to log on to, (2) not prompted for an admin password. The reason being (looking back now) was that my WINNT folder was toast, along with the system32 folder and everything in it.

When the CHKDSK finished (I have had good luck with this tool before) it said that it had found and fixed several problems. Good I thought, I am back to normal, I rebooted and Whamo! same error. I tried every post on this discussion (well at least up until page 9!) and none of them worked except for one. I will now make this long story short :) !

When CHKDSK found and repaired the directories it did NOT rename them the same thing. My WINNT directory was named "Found.001". There were four subdirectories within the "Found.001" folder including the "System32, i386 and two others" labeled something like "Found.001,.002,.003,etc.).
I was lucky enough to have another machine that I could stick my hard drive in and compare files to determine which folder was which. After renaming them and copying them back to the root of C: I was able to successfully start my computer. WooHoo! I still had some errors so I ran system file checker (Goto Run, type "CMD" to open a DOS window, then type "sfc /scannow, and follow the windows prompts). With time and patience I have fixed them. I had to find out what each "Found" folder was named originally and rename it and put it back in it's right place. So if you run the Recovery Console and it finds and fixes the errors and you still have this problem, run Recovery Console again and run the DIR command and look for Directories named "Found.XX". This may help you find what's missing and what has to be renamed. Also I am going to follow my advice and make an image (Ghost) of my machine's hard drive.

Thanks to whoever put that post about CHKDSK renaming folders "Found.xx". That has fixed my problem, a problem that I had previously been unable to solve on other computers. This was not the first time I have battled the "ntoskrnl.ex" error. But this is the first time I have beaten it.

Moderator, could you put a post near the first few pages encouraging people to keep reading all the posts on this topic because there are solutions for some people. Thanks.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

There seems to be different solutions for the same problems for different people. Is it because of different ways a person might get the error or because of the system running or what is the variable?
  • Siggybozo
  • Born
  • Born
  • Siggybozo
  • Loc: NC

Post 3+ Months Ago

There are a lot of people having this problem...and when they use XP's recovery funtion they are denied access. It is possible that the problem is worse when using RAID configuration.

Anyway I did CHKDSK /r from the recovery utility and this fixed the problem. Not that this would always work but it's worth a shot.

FYI
  • baza
  • Born
  • Born
  • baza

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi have the ntoskrnl.exe problem and have done everything that it say on here to solve the problem.. when i go into recovery and press the OS 1 that i want to recover, after a bit i get a blue screen saying that it cannot continue as there is a error.. anyone know anything about this and as any actualy solved this ntoskrnl.exe problem..
  • john drake1
  • Born
  • Born
  • john drake1

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wes19 wrote:
when i turn on my computer an error pops up before windows even starts

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

<Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe.
Please reinstall a copy of the above file.

My question is if I do a repair installation of windows will I lose all my data and all my programs. I am running windows xp pro.

PLEASE HELP!!

Try reseating your RAM (Memory)
card. Shut off pc, remove memoery card, clean card contacts and slot, then reinsert it, not sure of results, just see if it works or helps.

john drake1
  • jordancube1
  • Born
  • Born
  • jordancube1

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Guys, I have recently experienced the ntoskrnl.exe problem described in the very first post of this thread. I tried both of the methods suggested by JrzyCrim but get either: 'The file could not be copied' or 'Unable to create file ntoskrnl.exe
0 file(s) expanded.'
I also attempted the method suggested by Alkatr0z on page 14 but again all I get in response is: 'Unable to create file ntoskrnl.exe
0 file(s) expanded.'
I am running XP on a Compaq Presario R3030EA if that's any help. Any suggestions as to how solve my problem would be massively apreciated.

Cheers
  • donnadoop
  • Born
  • Born
  • donnadoop

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi everyone :) I just got my laptop back from repair shop on Thursday of last week - I had done a fresh install of XP Pro but there were too many drivers missing so had them put on in repair shop. Everything was running excellent, until yesterday (Sunday) when, for no apparent reason I got a 'system shut down message' and it went off before I got a chance to read it. When I tried to boot up again, I got the NTOSKRNL.EXE missing or corrupt message, and it said to insert disc to repair. While I went to get my disc, the laptop made a few short beeps, went off, and it wont switch on at all now!! Is it dead forever or is there something I can try without the expense of repair shop? Any help would be great, as Im at my wits end with it now. Thanks guys, Donna
  • donnadoop
  • Born
  • Born
  • donnadoop

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi guys, just to let you know, I decided to use a bit of logic and stop being a panicking woman :O lol ....this led to me removing the battery, checking the power supply etc, and it is firing up now :) I'm going to systematically work my way through all your previous advise on this topic to try to repair the corrupt file now :)

I have tried the recovery console so many times my head is buzzing! I keep getting access denied when I try to expand ntoskrnl. On a second look through posts, I found a link that had been suggested http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... -us;315341 BUT, the wording at the top of the link page says 'repair', but the instructions are for re-install?, can anyone tell me if I go for the install option will my previous installation be wiped, or will it simply 'fill in the gaps' and sort my problem? Thanks, hope to hear from any helpers :)
  • dw_bone
  • Born
  • Born
  • dw_bone

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have this problem as well, however I am not able to even get a command prompt. If I press F12 I get the BOOT DEVICE MENU but any slection gets the ntoskrnl error. When I insert my re-install CD and restart my computer, i just get the "<Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe.
Please reinstall a copy of the above file" message.

I'm not much of an operating system wiz., I'm a graphic designer, so if I'm missing something in all these pages (which I have read) please let me know. I haven't seen instructions for accessing the Recovery Console.

Thanks for any prompt help.
David

Wes19 wrote:
when i turn on my computer an error pops up before windows even starts

My question is if I do a repair installation of windows will I lose all my data and all my programs. I am running windows xp pro.

PLEASE HELP!!
  • sabean
  • Born
  • Born
  • sabean

Post 3+ Months Ago

i have problem with my laptop. my vista won't boot. when i start the coputer i says windows is trying for system repair recovery. after few seconds i says "windows cannot repair automatically"
in the diagnostic report i get the following

name: windows boot log diagnosis
result:completed successfully, Error code 0x0

root cause found
boot critical file c:\ntoskrnl.exe is corrupt.
  • baza
  • Born
  • Born
  • baza

Post 3+ Months Ago

still havent found out how to solve the ntoskrnl.exe problem, anyone with any ideas...!!
  • MarioJ
  • Born
  • Born
  • MarioJ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Missing boot file:
I was reading about the missing ntoskrnl.exe file and I have the same problem with my desktop computer.
This is the problem:
No safe mode accessable or previous well last boot available. All say the same about missing ntosknl.
I tried the R console and could not pass the "enter the administration password" since the xp pro OS was installed by the previous owner I don't have a clue of it. I pulled the HD and plugged it in as -slave in my other comp.; I can browse it and see all files, but I have little or no knowlegde of how to replace or repare the missing file in question. Or if it's possible to do through this method.
I wish I could retain those programs and files in that HD.
Any help in this matter will be greatly appreciated. thank you all.
  • WTF-AComputer
  • Student
  • Student
  • WTF-AComputer
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I hate to bump this topic it is so old but I don't have the disk. All I got was the main piece of the computer. No mouse no keyboard no monitor.

Is there another way?
  • VideoRipper
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • VideoRipper

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmmmm, I've just been trying to help you in your other thread...
Should've been nice if you stayed at one place :roll:

Anyway, without the original Windows installation CD, there's not
much you can do, I'm afraid. :|
  • wrisly
  • Born
  • Born
  • wrisly

Post 3+ Months Ago

VideoRipper wrote:
Hmmmm, I've just been trying to help you in your other thread...
Should've been nice if you stayed at one place :roll:

Anyway, without the original Windows installation CD, there's not
much you can do, I'm afraid. :|

When I bought my Asus system, I was only issued with a Recovery CD ROM and a Driver and Utility CD. I do not see any Windows Installation CD. Did I miss out anything that was supposed to come in the original package?
  • jjj
  • Born
  • Born
  • jjj

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry if the problem is not to be repeated today, but my computer has crashed, without wanting to damage a file under windows in system32, and that is not very smart but he was desperate because it did not work well and prove and damaged at all.
I can do?
tested with the Windows CD to repair errors no risk of losing my data?
There are some other way?
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't quit understand what you are saying...

You can repair with the CD without loosing your data... that's without formatting... if you format, THAT'S when you will loose the data.
  • Borat1
  • Born
  • Born
  • Borat1

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi

I'm trying to install a new clean version of Windows XP. This is the message i'm getting straight after the BIos screen.

If i press any key the laptop will reboot.

What can i do?

Is it the HDD faulty?

I've installed once XP on this HDD it was all fine until i decided to install Vista therefore i had to re-format the HDD after that reformating the whole has gone wrong.

Please Please Please Please HELP !!!

Thank you
  • pccare_himanshu
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • pccare_himanshu

Post 3+ Months Ago

Insert the Microsoft Windows XP CD. Note: If you have a recovery CD or a restore CD and not a Microsoft Windows XP CD it is likely the below steps will not resolve your issue.

Reboot the computer, as the computer is starting you should see a message to press any key to boot from the CD. When you see this message press any key.

In the Microsoft Windows XP setup menu press the R key to enter the recovery console.

Select the operating system you wish to fix, and then enter the administrator password.

Type expand d:\i386\ntoskrnl.ex_ c:\windows\system32

You will then be prompted if you wish to overwrite the file type Y and press enter to overwrite the file.

Type exit to reboot the computer.
  • DellPCWinXP
  • Born
  • Born
  • DellPCWinXP

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks so much JrzmCrim!

Somehow I inserted a floppy disk this afternoon and also I shut off the power supply by accident when I was doing some cleaning. When I restart my computer it didn't boot and gave some error information saying "ntoskrnl.exe is missing or corrupted". I saw some forum mentioned the keyboard and I found my keyboard seemed "dead". But still the problem persisted.

I followed your commands in Recovery Console and solved the ntoskrnl.exe problem, but then another file called "hal.dll" became the problem. I tried in a similar way but finally saw another problem of "\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM". I was about to give up before I followed your helpful link. It works now and I am able to reply your post :)

The repaired system took some time to update all the drivers, except VGA which I re-installed.

Thanks again JrzmCrim!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 233 posts